Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I still struggle to believe that he’s choose Chelsea over United. I may be proven wrong.

Having digested the mornings news though, all that’s happened is another team has shown interest and are making a bid. All the while, Bernardo to Barca is hotting up, so one way or another, Frenkie staying at Barcelona looks very unlikely
Why? Imo it is a very likely scenario

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
But we gotta back the manager who seemingly has no knowledge of players who aren't Dutch or have links with Ajax.
Precisely. There is no proper information about what FDJ wants. They write this stuff because it sounds plausible and if it pans out that way they can take some credit.
What do you say about the Nunez and Sesko links then huh?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Yeh I think this is what will happen. If so Ten Haag should be given a season of low expectations and to implement something for next year, as we’d be way off the rest of the top 6. If we can go into 23/24 with a couple of young players fully integrated and proven to be good enough a la Saka/Smith Rowe, Ronaldo out and 3 to 4 good signings in we’d be ready to compete.
By far my most preferred outcome this summer. I said the other day that I think we have the players and potential in youngsters to make CM work for now. The lack of numbers and quality in attack (especially if CR leaves) is THE most worrying for me.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I wonder if Chelsea are also willing to pay it all upfront which might help Barca use some it to find a settlement with De Jong quickly if that is indeed one of the stumbling blocks. We might be more structured plus addons. I know the reports said we upped the fee and reduced the addons somewhat to help. If De Jong is willing to go to Chelsea I can see them paying what's needed in one go.
Our upfront is 75m and it seems like Barca wants 80m from Chelsea upfront.

Fooza

Even if FdJ did ring EtH to say his interested in joining in utd. That wasn't when a CL club were interested. Who is to say that the player changes his mind and then decides to pick CL football over us

Players mind can change like that, can't trust anything really. Let's see

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The Chelsea development is fairly recent. If they've come in late and he would rather go there - EtH needs to know.
What makes you think that it's recent? You think that agents are only talking to clubs when you are aware of it? And anyway what makes you think that the conversation hasn't already happened?

Here is the thing Ornstein said nothing outside of Chelsea and Barcelona are in direct contact.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
This would be incredibly snakey from De Jong if he turns us down. Incredibly.

He would have strung United and Ten Hag along all this time.
He owes nothing to Utd or EtH for that matter. Chelsea is a better prospect for him and only utd will look foolish(deservedly) chasing him for 3 months.

Castia

Apparently FdJ has officially refused to talk to us or anybody until he gets a resolution on the wages front. Unless Chelsea are willing to spunk up their money to pay the 17m nothing has really changed, other than them showing interest in the same way we have.

Their new owner is trying to make a statement he'll pay this money. Everybody knows about FdJ's situation, to start talking to him now this far down the line suggests they're willing to get it sorted.

By the time Chelsea buy FdJ, Cucerella and a top CB (Forfana or Gvardiol) they'll be the top spenders in Europe by some margin.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Yes that's true. So moral of the story is we won't know either way...
Well…I remember that saga quite vividly and I also remember telling the German posters who were adamant that sancho wouldn’t be sold that clearly Manchester United knew far more than them and they wouldn’t be so stupid as to continually chase a player not for sale and not move on. Turns out we were. Roll on two years and here we are hoping again that Manchester United aren’t so incompetent as to agree a fee and chase a player for 13 weeks that our manager can call up at any time without any assurances he wants to come…I’m kinda now in the yes we are exactly that incompetent camp.

AFC NimbleThumb

I just feel he was never interested in us, I bet if Chelsea/PSG or whoever agreed a fee the wage situation would have been sorted in a few days, he would never have gone on tour.

I bet they've paid him close to 5m in wages throughout this summer just because they took him on tour, that's ridiculous when the whole point of selling him is to reduce their costs.
This is how I’ve thought.

Overall though he’s choosing to go to Chelsea & be a midfielder over coming to us where the manager wants to build the team around him. I get from the situation that he doesn’t want to be dictated to & the clubs agreeing fees etc. was a little presumptuous.

Anyway time to move on, this fiasco has been embarrassing.

JPRouve

Scout
I just feel he was never interested in us, I bet if Chelsea/PSG or whoever agreed a fee the wage situation would have been sorted in a few days, he would never have gone on tour.

I bet they've paid him close to 5m in wages throughout this summer just because they took him on tour, that's ridiculous when the whole point of selling him is to reduce their costs.
But that's a feeling based on nothing. It could be true or not but you have nothing to support it. Sometimes fans should learn to just sit back and accept that they have no clue about a situation.

Smores

Would be quite simple for EtH to call De Jong and see what his preference is should he leave Barca. If it's Chelsea, we move on asap. Very worried that we end up with no holding midfielder.
Why would a player who has yet to negotiate wages tell us anything to harm his leverage. It suits him to have multiple clubs chasing and even if he preferred Chelsea he'd still be out to see how high we'd go with our wage offer.

MUFC OK

What makes you think that it's recent? You think that agents are only talking to clubs when you are aware of it? And anyway what makes you think that the conversation hasn't already happened?

Here is the thing Ornstein said nothing outside of Chelsea and Barcelona are in direct contact.
I have no faith in our negotiators. I think we were almost hoping he would change his mind and waited all summer on a "maybe".

Fooza

On the contrary, will Chelsea be stupid enough to negotiate a price if they didn't get a green light by FdJ agent??

Just saying, when it was us, everyone kept saying we must have had a green light from the agent/player and thats why we negotiating.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
He owes nothing to Utd or EtH for that matter. Chelsea is a better prospect for him and only utd will look foolish(deservedly) chasing him for 3 months.
Chelsea is a better prospect? Because they have CL football? Really? What if United finish above them next season and get CL football whilst Chelsea get EL?

If United were some firm mid table club with no prospect of CL football then yes i'd understand, but thats not the case

DutchCruijff

How on earth is Chelsea a "better prospect"?

They're a far smaller club, he'd have greater competition in the CM position and their coach might be gone within a couple of months.

United actually have a coach in place who understands how he plays and won't misuse him as he has been done over the past few years.

And also, it's a matter of honour and principle.

And not sure why you're saying "United" when United are only so committed due to Ten Hag. It would also be Ten Hag looking "foolish" too ergo a snake move from De Jong.

Castia

But that's a feeling based on nothing. It could be true or not but you have nothing to support it. Sometimes fans should learn to just sit back and accept that they have no clue about a situation.
Oh yeah it's only my opinion. I have just never seen a deal drag out for 3 months and the whole time we are hearing stories about the player having zero interest in joining, the whole thing has been completely bizarre.

Zoo

Still no update this morning on Chelsea and De Jong from Holland (Verweij/van der Kraan), Chelsea’s biggest mouthpiece (Matt Law) or Fabrizio Romano.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Yeh I think this is what will happen. If so Ten Haag should be given a season of low expectations and to implement something for next year, as we’d be way off the rest of the top 6. If we can go into 23/24 with a couple of young players fully integrated and proven to be good enough a la Saka/Smith Rowe, Ronaldo out and 3 to 4 good signings in we’d be ready to compete.
The only problem is good players want to play in the CL. One of the only ways we can get there is if we improve our scouting - not our strong suit.

Right now, whether we like it or not, United is not a desirable destination. Our stock has fallen so much. Top players don't want to come here. Wages could turn their heads... Double edged sword, that is.

MUFC OK

Option A) Won CL in 2021, CL football this season, 3rd. Signed Sterling, Koulibaly (likely Cucurella, Fofana) - net spend ~£200m.

Option B) Former manager, not in CL, 6th, no trophies for 5 years, net spend of £50m.

Which would you pick...

Chief123

Chelsea coming in to agree a fee isn’t great news. They were reported to be waiting to see if the player could resolve issues with the club before getting involved.

The fact they are trying to agree a deal now suggests they believe the player would be willing to come now and any issues resolved.

I also don’t know why people keep insisting chelsea don’t need him. Kante and Jorginho are not long term solutions anymore. One more season at best. Chelsea probably weren’t actively looking to improve that area but at the same time players of FDJ calibre don’t become available every summer. If the opportunity comes, sometimes you have to take it. Rather than trying to see who’s available next summer.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Chelsea is a better prospect? Because they have CL football? Really? What if United finish above them next season and get CL football whilst Chelsea get EL?

If United were some firm mid table club with no prospect of CL football then yes i'd understand, but thats not the case
At the moment yes. London, CL football, better squad, proven coach. Not sure what's so difficult to understand there.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Whatever happens I'm sure we'll get the juicy behind the scenes story in the coming months.

At this point I think we all just want it done and dusted as soon as possible. If Chelsea swoop in and sort a deal out in 48 hours at the very least it'll all be over.

JPRouve

Scout
Oh yeah it's only my opinion. I have just never seen a deal drag out for 3 months and the whole time we are hearing stories about the player having zero interest in joining, the whole thing has been completely bizarre.
You heard that froma source that also told you that he had an interest in joining United. And deals "drag" for 3 months all the time, just this year Tchouaméni's deal started in early february and wasn't close to be finished in May. It took nearly 2 months for Sanches transfer to PSG.

Castia

Option A) Won CL in 2021, CL football this season, 3rd. Signed Sterling, Koulibaly (likely Cucurella, Fofana) - net spend ~£200m.

Option B) Former manager, not in CL, 6th, no trophies for 5 years, net spend of £50m.

Which would you pick...

Don't forget about living in London. Some of the reports coming out during the past few months have been how he doesn't fancy Manchester.

LordSpud

Every time I see the tweets from Ornstein at first glance it always looks like the comedian Jon Richardson from 8 out of 10 cats...

Status
Not open for further replies.