Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndySmith1990

I'd be a bit baffled if we're trying to agree a fee without having a pretty much full agreement with the player. So I doubt that's the case.

Big 56 hours ahead by the looks of it. I think we'll be pretty clear of what way this is going by the end of this month.
Yeah I was thinking the same. Its been reported that Ten Hag has spoken to De Jong multiple times, so with that in mind I don't know why we'd waste time negotiating a fee if there were no interest from the player

ti vu

maybe i'm reading this thread all wrong and someone can correct me.

Barca don't see him as a vital piece of their midfield moving forward. All new purchases will be funded by their sales. FdJ is up for sale, Barca are likely talking to many clubs, we are obviously in for him. There is no indication in any of the reporting that he views the move as a positive for him personally. He would love to stay at Barca, but Barca are definitely selling him. He likely wants a UCL team, which is not us. However at the end of the day Barca will essentially tell him that he has to choose a new club as he is being sold, they will likely tell him the options available and no doubt ours will rank highly in terms of fees for both parties and from there he's got to make a decision.

That is my summary of the thread so far, is there anything way off?
One element missing from the rumour: deadline. Barcelona needs to sort it out financially in a certain short period of time. We readies ourselves in position to pay reasonable amount, because we prioritize this midfield signing. While there is rumor of other clubs sniffing around, they don't have the same priority, so for Barcelona it is more likely easier to deal with us. And sounds like they gave us permission to talk to FdJ and mood the deal.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Key points from the Whitwell article, which, I have to admit, is quite clickbaity. Maybe he can't reveal more at this point.

- Actually does not say that we are negotiating with Barcelona. ETH wants the transfer to happen and it is suggested that he wants the midfield sorted before the other areas.
- Move for Kante being considered
- ETH admires Alvares from Ajax
- Nunez being considered for the striker position but we are not willing to pay the supposed 80 mil
- Martial, AWB, Jones, Bailly, Tuanzebe for likelysale with Telles also probably asking for a transfer
Yeah, that was very poor by Athletic standards. Basically doesn't tell you anything you don't already know from reading the thread titles in the transfer forum.

gajender

Considering Barca must sell players i could easily see this being two separate discussions. Barca don't give two stuffs about his opinion, i'd imagine Barca is lining up multiple offers/deals for players. The player will be told they are being sold, and then they will have to agree a deal with X club that meets their personal terms.

On the one hand, I want him if ETH wants him, but absolutely no reports/tweets in this thread have convinced me this is anything but another disaster in the making should ETH struggle. This screams that he may only join us because he has no better options and Barca are kicking him to the curb. That is not what we need coming out of this hell-season.
Player can simply tell Barca to do one and simply refuse to leave , Barca can't force him out at the end of the it all it would still be his decision he has big fat contract with Barca with years on his contract Barca can't afford not to Use him if he stays .

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'd be a bit baffled if we're trying to agree a fee without having a pretty much full agreement with the player. So I doubt that's the case.

Big 56 hours ahead by the looks of it. I think we'll be pretty clear of what way this is going by the end of this month.
Somebody is lying somewhere.

The club aren't stupid, they won't be pressing this hard if they've been given no indication that he would be open to it.

I suspect his first choice was to stay at Barca, but if he's being pushed out then we are hardly a bad 2nd choice.

It all depends who the competition is I suppose. City have spent their cash on Haaland, do PSG really need him?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Liverpool signed Sadio Mane and Wijnaldum right in the 2016 summer when they missed out on the Champions League by losing in the Europa League final. And mind you, Sadio Mane had already agreed terms with Manchester United for a summer move. But then a Klopp's phone call changed everything. Mane then joined Liverpool and became a part of their attacking trio. (All of these came from Mane himself).

So yes, you can sign good to great players even without Champions League's football. Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Pogba joined United in 2016 because Jose Mourinho was here (for Zlatan). Ten Hag, being a former manager who got the best out of FDJ, obviously has a fair chance to him too.

I am not saying this deal will 100% go through, but the way people are writing us completely off just because of Champions League football is baseless. History proves otherwise.
They were signed from Southampton and Newcastle respectively. They were not top players signed from top clubs.

gorky_utd

Liverpool signed Sadio Mane and Wijnaldum right in the 2016 summer when they missed out on the Champions League by losing in the Europa League final. And mind you, Sadio Mane had already agreed terms with Manchester United for a summer move. But then a Klopp's phone call changed everything. Mane then joined Liverpool and became a part of their attacking trio. (All of these came from Mane himself).

So yes, you can sign good to great players even without Champions League's football. Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Pogba joined United in 2016 because Jose Mourinho was here (for Zlatan). Ten Hag, being a former manager who got the best out of FDJ, obviously has a fair chance to him too.

I am not saying this deal will 100% go through, but the way people are writing us completely off just because of Champions League football is baseless. History proves otherwise.
Much harder now thanks to the legacy of Woodward. Difficult to convince a top player after recent on pitch performance.

WPMUFC

Yeah I was thinking the same. Its been reported that Ten Hag has spoken to De Jong multiple times, so with that in mind I don't know why we'd waste time negotiating a fee if there were no interest from the player

Player can simply tell Barca to do one and simply refuse to leave , Barca can't force him out at the end of the it all it would still be his decision he has big fat contract with Barca with years on his contract Barca can't afford not to Use him if he stays .
I agree with the overall premise of your posts, but what does that look like in the real world? Being booed every weekend as FdJ is fingered by the Barca press as the sole reason for stopping all Barca deals? likely dropped for crucial games or relegated to a bit-time player? Just living a hellish existence every time you under-perform?

I'm not trying to be too adversarial here, I swear. I'm just playing the devil's advocate. Does a player have to be interested to agree to a new club if their current club is telling them they have no future and will be sold? Is this really a situation we want to find ourselves in again after such a bad season?

As i mentioned previously, my personal opinion is: If ETH wants him, I want him. I just think that the narrative/reporting around this is nothing really positive to phone home about. Until we see otherwise, this is very much a "what other options did i have" scenario.

Last edited:

gajender

I agree with the overall premise of your posts, but what does that look like in the real world? Being booed every weekend as FdJ is fingered by the Barca press as the sole reason for stopping all Barca deals? likely dropped for crucial games or relegated to a bit-time player? Just living a hellish existence every time you under-perform?

I'm not trying to be too adversarial here, I swear. I'm just playing the devil's advocate. Does a player have to be interested to agree to a new club if their current club is telling them they have no future and will be sold? Is this really a situation we want to find ourselves in again after such a bad season?

As i mentioned previously, my personal opinion is: If ETH wants him, I want him. I just think that the narrative/reporting around this is nothing really positive to ring home about. Until we see otherwise, this is very much a "what other options did i have" scenario.

You make good points but you have to realise De Jong has big fat contract with Barca if he stays Barca would utilise him accordingly after initial bad blood , just for example Dembele who refused to leave in January and was told he would never Play for Barca again got plenty of game time and Barca tried to renew his contract despite all the posturing . If De Jong comes to United it would be his decision .

Sir Erik ten Hag

They were signed from Southampton and Newcastle respectively. They were not top players signed from top clubs.
The selling clubs do not really matter, because in this case even Barcelona wants to sell to us. This is not a case of us trying to strong-arm a player to come here despite Barcelona's desire.
Much harder now thanks to the legacy of Woodward. Difficult to convince a top player after recent on pitch performance.
We played equally bad football under Moyes, a much less inspiring name than Erik ten Hag. Yet even Toni Kroos agreed to join us from Bayern (The European reigning champion) if not for LVG vetoing the deal.

We played zombie football under Van Gaal's 2nd season. That didn't stop Zlatan, Pogba and Mkhytarian from joining us (All attacking players who needed flair and freedom).

We used to say Messi and Ronaldo were a pull for players because they want to play alongside the GOAT. Yet now no one talks about that "pull" anymore after Ronaldo himself has rejoined us? Even if he might be getting on with years, he arguably had a better season than Messi regarding personal output.

Bojan Djordjic

There's a difference between trying to attract players from Southampton and Newcastle to join your project than there is signing a top player from one of the few clubs in the world that are above United's level. Mane had nowhere near the reputation FdJ did at the time of his move either. Also, you have to look at trajectories. United were a top team that are in steep decline. Liverpool were a fallen star that hired a top coach and had a SERIOUS footballing department behind them that are cutting edge in almost every way.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
This transfer would be so unsexy if the plan is to play him with Fred/Mctominay and Bruno :confused:

Catalandevil

We wouldn't be negotiating if Barca if he has said no to us.
Once I did some interviews with a company that I was not sure about joining. Once I had the offer in my email, I started to see the company with better eyes.

FDJ may not see us as the ideal club to join, but if he sees that we try to sign him, that we are already negotiating with Barça and that we have a contract ready for him, and that we only need his “yes”, this may mentally bring him closer to us.

Another example, at school, when I learned that a girl liked me, I started to believe that she was pretty beautiful, even if before I was not thinking that. The same psychological biases happen with football players.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
This transfer would be so unsexy if the plan is to play him with Fred/Mctominay and Bruno :confused:
Would:
..............de Jong....mctominay.....
.........................Bruno....................

Be more suited to the premier league than:
.........................de Jong................
.................vdb................Bruno......

Based on vbds performances so far I think it might be

I'd take functional over sexy football at the moment given how much of a gap we have to close

gorky_utd

There's a difference between trying to attract players from Southampton and Newcastle to join your project than there is signing a top player from one of the few clubs in the world that are above United's level.
Which is probably what we need to do now. Find some good upcoming players from small teams. We are talking about buying old kante as the CDM while there could be a top player in sangare (I know nothing about him though). This whole fdj saga feels like Fabregas again. Hopefully the club will move on quickly if the answer is no from him.

Swedish_Plumber

Would:

I'd take functional over sexy football at the moment given how much of a gap we have to close
I think you’re just about right there but it’s depressing to think Mctominay gets another season as a starter

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Can see us pushing for this one but reckon it will drag on like always. Still feel like we need this signing plus another DM… I don’t see FDJ as being the one to protect the back 4. Need a solid DM next to FDJ who can play as a deep lying playmaker and then another CM to play as the advanced playmaker. I think ten Hag will probably prioritise getting a solid back line and midfield first. So CB, RB and DM. He’ll have confidence in his ability to get the best out of rashford, sancho, Elanga and get them all firing.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Would:

That second one there would never work. Two 10s and a DM that isnt really a dm. Imo we need a workhouse DM next to De Jong with either Bruno or VDB in front.

Sir Erik ten Hag

There's a difference between trying to attract players from Southampton and Newcastle to join your project than there is signing a top player from one of the few clubs in the world that are above United's level. Mane had nowhere near the reputation FdJ did at the time of his move either. Also, you have to look at trajectories. United were a top team that are in steep decline. Liverpool were a fallen star that hired a top coach and had a SERIOUS footballing department behind them that are cutting edge in almost every way.
This part is speaking in hindsight. Liverpool when Klopp joined was as much of a shamble as us. What was the proof of this "cutting-edge footballing department" back then?

They signed Firmino as a "blockbuster" to counter our Memphis deal, and did not even know how to use him properly, hence Firmino flopped in his 1st season. It was Klopp who resurrected Firmino's career at Liverpool. Don't get me started on their panic deals like Benteke who quickly showed he was not suitable for top-class clubs (As many people had already seen if they watched Benteke before). They were a one-man army in that almost-win-the-league season and all they did with the Suarez money after that was raiding Southampton for the likes of Lallana and Lambert. I see no sign of this supposedly cutting-edge footballing department you mentioned. It was Jurgen Klopp who completely elevated them. They were not like City who had a very good structure in place and only waited for the final figure (Pep Guardiola) to complete their organization.

So moving on from that, you mentioned we are in a different trajectory than Liverpool back then does not really have proof. Liverpool was a fallen star that won the lottery with Klopp. We are a fallen star (with more money than Liverpool) who got Erik ten Hag. Time will tell if he is a similar jackpot.

You had some points about Mane did not have FDJ's reputation. But we have the past working relationship between ETH and FDJ to take advantage of instead. The profiles of Southampton/Newcastle and Barcelona are really different. But it's a moot point because this is the case of Barcelona WANTING to sell. If Barca are determined to keep FDJ, then that's an entirely different story, though.

Last edited:

RedorDead21

perhaps but why would being in the champions league next season (in what he knows is the new managers first year here) really matter? We would have zero chance of making any real impact next year. It would only make his Premier League first season even more difficult to settle into..something he experienced in Spain? More likely we’d just thumped against a decent team as you’d expect. I think it’s a nonsense media thing. You pay the big money and if options are limited…they are for him otherwise we’d not be in the conversation because no trophies are on the table right now for next season! city attracted world class players in aguero and silva and co with no realistic chance of being anywhere close at the time to a Champions League…It is odd how we are the only club in Europe who “a project” doesn’t attract the worlds best players. We never got them with SAF when we were on top and we don’t get them now.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
People are already making excuses for him as to why he flopped. If he was so good they'd play him in his natural position.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Set a time line, and if he cant make his mind up by then (or does not want to join), we move on. No time to waste this summer

Bojan Djordjic

perhaps but why would being in the champions league next season (in what he knows is the new managers first year here) really matter? We would have zero chance of making any real impact next year. It would only make his Premier League first season even more difficult to settle into..something he experienced in Spain? More likely we’d just thumped against a decent team as you’d expect. I think it’s a nonsense media thing. You pay the big money and if options are limited…they are for him otherwise we’d not be in the conversation because no trophies are on the table right now for next season! city attracted world class players in aguero and silva and co with no realistic chance of being anywhere close at the time to a Champions League…It is odd how we are the only club in Europe who “a project” doesn’t attract the worlds best players. We never got them with SAF when we were on top and we don’t get them now.
I can't really argue with you if you fundamentally don't think Champions League matters unless you're going to win it. Players just like being in the top competitions in my view. From a commercial standpoint, I presume it makes them far more marketable, from a professional standpoint any ambitious player wants to play there. Don't know why you're saying we'd get thumped in it when we haven't this year. Hardly going to get much worse.

City bought Aguero in 2011 after finishing third in the league and came first the following year so don't know what you're talking about being anywhere close to the Champions League.

Judas

Open to offers
Set a time line, and if he cant make his mind up by then (or does not want to join), we move on. No time to waste this summer
By the looks of it the deadline is already set due to Barca's finances, seen a few mentions of June 1st being the crucial date. Could be nonsense though.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
By the looks of it the deadline is already set due to Barca's finances, seen a few mentions of June 1st being the crucial date. Could be nonsense though.
Good for us. I just hope we improved our scouting in the mean time and have a few good options ready

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Tbh I'd be more wary if De Jong didn't have concerns about joining us. We're a shit show, out of CL, problems on and off the pitch. Any top player who would join us without hesitation would be very suspicious. We want players who are ambitious and have their head screwed on, and any ambitious player with their head screwed on would have serious doubts about joining us, need plenty of reassurances and proof that we are getting our shit together. That's the reality of the situation, we have to be convincing to get top players in. Top players won't be lining up waiting for our call like its 2002.
This. If we followed the "players need to be desperate to join us" train of thought, we'd end up with the forum members in the midfield.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This part is speaking in hindsight. Liverpool when Klopp joined was as much of a shamble as us. What was the proof of this " cutting-edge footballing department" back then?

They signed Firmino as a "blockbuster" to counter our Memphis deal, and did not even know how to use him properly, hence Firmino flopped in his 1st season. It was Klopp who resurrected Firmino's career at Liverpool. Don't get me started on their panic deals like Benteke who quickly showed he was not suitable for top-class clubs (As many people had already seen if they watched Benteke before). They were a one-man army in that almost-win-the-league season and all they did with the Suarez money after that was raiding Southampton for the likes of Lallana and Lambert. I see no sign of this supposedly cutting-edge footballing department you mentioned. It was Jurgen Klopp who completely elevated them. They were not like City who had a very good structure in place and only waited for the final figure (Pep Guardiola) to complete their organization.

So moving on from that, you mentioned we are in a different trajectory than Liverpool back then does not really have proof. Liverpool was a fallen star that won the lottery with Klopp. We are a fallen star (with more money than Liverpool) who got Erik ten Hag. Time will tell if he is a similar jackpot.

You had some points about Mane did not have FDJ's reputation. But we have the past working relationship between ETH and FDJ to take advantage of instead. The profiles of Southampton/Newcastle and Barcelona are really different. But it's a moot point because this is the case of Barcelona WANTING to sell. If Barca are determined to keep FDJ, then that's an entirely different story, though.
Agree with this

Zrions568

This. If we followed the "players need to be desperate to join us" train of thought, we'd end up with the forum members in the midfield.
Laughing loudly at this valid comment. Fingers-crissed, it will be a good summer for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.