Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewYorkRed

Big day today/tomorrow is my guess. Really hope we pull it off but won’t believe it till its reported by Romano/Orny/ManUtd.com

sherrinford

Exactly. Back to my original point - we will need to sign another midfielder. Whether it's this summer or next, we will need to if we want to a) have a balanced and competitive midfield, and b) want to get the best out of FdJ (if we sign him).
Nah. We could probably do with signing another midfielder at some point in the near future to strengthen a position in the team that could/ should be strengthened relative to other areas and have a MORE balanced and competitive midfield. As things stand though, we have the personnel to adequately accomodate De Jong.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
The club could make this easy and sign Neves and Tielemans for likely the same cost as De Jong. We can then focus on Antony or other right sided attacking options and a fullback. It’s the same old indecisive and slow United.
Ok and how exactly would you lineup with Tielemans, Neves and Bruno? If you are saying play Neves and Tielemans the double pivot, then I am stopping this discussion right now

You still need a DM who can support that midfield to play with Neves.

Rake

Exactly. Back to my original point - we will need to sign another midfielder. Whether it's this summer or next, we will need to if we want to a) have a balanced and competitive midfield, and b) want to get the best out of FdJ (if we sign him).
Reports from the reliable journos have all stated that the midfield is priority and we want to sign two midfielders. Likely FDJ is the biggest transfer of the summer, so it should be concluded first. Funds available will determine other targets afterwards.

Most sources state (in that order of priority) 2 CMs -> Forward -> Defender, which probably explains why we have not signed the likes of Timber,Torres, Antony etc.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Nah. We could probably do with signing another midfielder at some point in the near future to strengthen a position in the team that could/ should be strengthened relative to other areas and have a MORE balanced and competitive midfield. As things stand though, we have the personnel to adequately accomodate De Jong.
Nah. Fred, who plays better further forwards? Or McTominay, who has no positional nous whatsoever? You're agreeing with me without admitting it. To adequately accomodate FdJ would be to create a midfield that can compete with any team. No combination of those two, behind Bruno I'm guessing, will do that.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Reports from the reliable journos have all stated that the midfield is priority and we want to sign two midfielders. Likely FDJ is the biggest transfer of the summer, so it should be concluded first. Funds available will determine other targets afterwards.

Most sources state (in that order of priority) 2 CMs -> Forward -> Defender, which probably explains why we have not signed the likes of Timber,Torres, Antony etc.
Hopefully, because we need it if we sign FdJ and want him to thrive.

Edwards6

Ok and how exactly would you lineup with Tielemans, Neves and Bruno? If you are saying play Neves and Tielemans the double pivot, then I am stopping this discussion right now

He's played alongside Moutinho for years who's not a DM

Keefy18

Honestly if FDJ has basically agreed to join us, wtf is the hold up?

Tell Barca they can take the offer or sod off!

They are up the proverbial without a paddle and we're playing nicey nice...

AFC NimbleThumb

If I’m de Jong then no matter how much I rate EtH I’d be wary of being placed in a midfield weekly with the likes of McTominay. I’d be sitting back & waiting for other dominoes to fall before any agreement.

Rolaholic

Would be an ominous start if they failed on delivering him his priority target...

Bojan Djordjic

Does he feck. One good season?

You telling me he is all of a sudden world class in the span of 5-6 months? Is that all it takes now?

Scored more goals than haaland? Maybe because Haaland only played 3 CL matches due to injuries you absolute melt.

You'd never fecking heard of him before we were linked.

How many benfica matches in the portugese league have you watched then?

Lets not pretend you're some bastion of european football scouting :lol::rolleyes:
:lol: :lol: :lol: You keep projecting your own ignorance on every one else!

While you’re at it, go back to school and look up how to use the word bastion correctly.

poleglass red

Barca need to sell him, we want to buy. I think this deal is a cert, just both clubs right now trying to get the best deal possible. You can see why Barca are trying to get as much money as poss, they need it, they know we need to upgrade. Don't blame them. We know Barca need money asap so we are trying to hold back on giving more than we need. Classic negotiation tactics from both.

laughtersassassin

Even if we get him it's only a Pogba replacement still doesn't sort the midfield in the slightest.

We'll just be back where we where really. Another CM or we are fecked

Same for an attacker. It's only replacing Greenwood.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
:lol: :lol: :lol: You keep projecting your own ignorance on every one else!

While you’re at it, go back to school and look up how to use the word bastion correctly.
To be fair the certainties that people have around Nunez is a bit wild to me. Now I know little about the player but rarely do you see a player with such a small sample size of excellence be labeled as a sure thing.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Really hope we hold firm for once. We won't, which has downstream consequences, but it'd nice.

cyberman

Really hope we hold firm for once. We won't, which has downstream consequences, but it'd nice.
Same here. I’d really like to sign the player but I’d be happy to walk away if it were to point to an improvement in the health of the club.
For 70m you’d think Ten Hag would be capable of adjusting and finding someone else. We aren’t in contact with KDB here

Judas

Open to offers
Honestly people wanting us to walk away from this are nuts. I dread to think how the rest of this window panned out if we don't get De Jong. Thankfully I'm certain that won't happen.

STYLOISRED

Twitter post
Eriksen in that deep playmaker role could potentially be interesting. Though with his lack of pace he would need a very good defensive partner (a pure DM) which may have not been necessary with DeJong who is more mobile and quite capable of taking on defensive responsibilities.

NewYorkRed

Ummm..what? They are just such different players. Both are class btw, I love Eriksen. But FDJ is just a different sort of player, and one we need more than Eriksen rn. Hopefully this is just a negotiating tactic. Eriksen would be great as cover for Bruno.

Redfrog

The club could make this easy and sign Neves and Tielemans for likely the same cost as De Jong. We can then focus on Antony or other right sided attacking options and a fullback. It’s the same old indecisive and slow United.
Basically buying not good enough players Won’t help us.
We should as well buy 10 ligue 2 players for that cost too, easy…

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
If he's not an alternative to FDJ and is much needed competition for Bruno instead, I'd be very happy if this materialises. Bruno needs to know he's not undroppable and Eriksen possesses a skill set that Bruno doesn't.

Stadjer

Ummm..what? They are just such different players. Both are class btw, I love Eriksen. But FDJ is just a different sort of player, and one we need more than Eriksen rn. Hopefully this is just a negotiating tactic. Eriksen would be great as cover for Bruno.
Didnt Eriksen play more defensive at Inter when Conte was there? Sign both Eriksen and de Jong, put Donny van de Beek in front of them and we got a Ajax midfield!

jem

Some of you take this all a bit too seriously.

NewYorkRed

Didnt Eriksen play more defensive at Inter when Conte was there? Sign both Eriksen and de Jong, put Donny van de Beek in front of them and we got a Ajax midfield!
I honestly did not watch too much of him at Inter so can’t comment. I do remember though that he wasn’t playing as well there? So maybe that would explain it. Eriksen doesn’t really play defense/not the guy you look to if you want someone to dictate the tempo.

Bojan Djordjic

To be fair the certainties that people have around Nunez is a bit wild to me. Now I know little about the player but rarely do you see a player with such a small sample size of excellence be labeled as a sure thing.
Yeah, don’t even necessarily disagree with that but that lad was saying nobody had heard of him before Liverpool signed him which is clearly spoofery when I’ve seen him mentioned on football twitter as a big prospect when he first signed for Benfica.

I'm a beautiful thing

You're are absolutely right and I would like both here.
Competition could fire Bruno back into his best form,you can't understate how dysfunctional we were last year and maybe a coach who will have us playing in a pattern and in a structure will help some players regain form.

Status
Not open for further replies.