Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Can’t quite put my finger on it but this is reminding me of di maria?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I can’t wait for this transfer to get over the line so we can all start bitching and moaning about the Antony deal taking “too long”

Ceteris

So just incase we complete this transfer, how does he walk back the statement?

He could have said nothing instead of what he said

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

What does he need to walk back? He's already at Barcelona where he is fine, if he leaves he leaves and starts a new chapter. It's pretty fair to say that Barcelona and Madrid are both "bigger" than United, so it's not like he's making a step up if he leaves.

Judas

Open to offers

If you feel he needs to walk back from that statement you or whoever is a very very sensitive little sausage. Half this place seems to think we’re shit anyway, so why would what he said be a problem?

UnsungHero

Monitoring the preparation of the Vidal bid
Stating he's at the biggest club in the world (which is debatable) sounds to me like he very clearly wants to stay.

There are so many things he could have said. "I'm at a great/brilliant/amazing club now, but we'll see what happens."

Making a categorical statement about his current club like that is not open to interpretation, it just underpins his desire to stay.

Dante

Average bang
Di Maria's dream club was Real Madrid. That hasn't stopped him from giving his all for PSG.

De Jong's dream club might be Barcelona. But if he comes to United, he'll be fine.

AdM could have also been decent at United in different circumstances. The issue with him was that he hated LvG and didn't like the role he was given in the team. So he sulked and half-arsed his performances.

FdJ doesn't hate Ten Hag. In fact, he seem to love him. He also knows the exact way the manager will want him to play football. If anything, EtH has shown he can get more out of him than Xavi can. So there'll be no sulking and no lack of effort.

It's a completely different situation.

Last edited:

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Can’t quite put my finger on it but this is reminding me of di maria?
Sorry to be the one to let you know, I was informed that any reference to di Maria is now boring. The only welcome additions to this thread now are knee-jerk reactions to nothing comments.

AlexUTD

Well i see it as a positive that Frenkie do not openly flirt with other clubs or talk bad about his current club, it sure is refreshing after putting up with Pogba`s antics with the press while away on national duty. Shows character.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Anyone starting to get impatient over this? I’m starting to, yes I know it’s early but when I look at our rivals one help but wondering what we are up to. Game of chicken and who blinks first is not a proper way to do business in my few
What do you suggest? Just give them what they want? 100M euros? Just like that?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Stating he's at the biggest club in the world (which is debatable) sounds to me like he very clearly wants to stay.

There are so many things he could have said. "I'm at a great/brilliant/amazing club now, but we'll see what happens."

Making a categorical statement about his current club like that is not open to interpretation, it just underpins his desire to stay.
Well yes. But we've all known he wants to stay from day one of this transfer saga. I don't think that's ever been in doubt.

The question was only ever whether he wants to stay so badly that he'll dig his heels in and refuse to leave even after Barca make it clear they want him to leave by accepting a bid for him. Or if he does what nearly every footballer does in that situation and moves on to the best available option.

El Jefe

It amazes me how Simon Stone has a job for the BBC. When I hear him speak and read his tweets he comes across as pretty dim.

Maybe I'm being unfair to him.

Keefy18

What do you suggest? Just give them what they want? 100M euros? Just like that?
We could grow a pair and say 65m plus 10 /15m in add on's.

Everyone knows Barca are royally screwed, why not just play tough with them. They really aren't in a position of power here to negotiate at all. It needs to be put to them impolitely, you're proper fcuked... take the money or we'll bring it elsewhere.

sglowrider

I love ETH and love the project that he is starting here at one of the great clubs of the world.

United fans at the moment are so downtrodden and have such low opinions of their own club, that it really doesn't take a lot to perk up their self-esteem.

ForeverRed1

He wants to make it clear he’s being forced out which he’s well within his right to do to be honest.
hopefully he can get his head around coming to us and be up for the challange. He would definitely feel more love here and be used more.

Herman Toothrot

It amazes me how Simon Stone has a job for the BBC. When I hear him speak and read his tweets he comes across as pretty dim.

I quite like him, but he's up there with Carl Anker for inability to spit out a question.

NLunited

Relax, negotiating is ongoing. Frenkie saying he wants to stay helps our negotiating position.

sglowrider

We could grow a pair and say 65m plus 10 /15m in add on's.

Everyone knows Barca are royally screwed, why not just play tough with them. They really aren't in a position of power here to negotiate at all. It needs to be put to them impolitely, you're proper fcuked... take the money or we'll bring it elsewhere.
Dont be so sure -- they are pretty creative in their accounting and also they just recently turned down a CVC offer.

Besides you have to be quite respectful when you deal with the big (or bigger) clubs. Dont burn your bridges. You may land up need to flog one of your players off to them later.

luke511

Hi.. er.. El Jefe, I.. er.. agree with.. er.. you.

Keefy18

Dont be so sure -- they are pretty creative in their accounting and also they just recently turned down a CVC offer.

Besides you have to be quite respectful when you deal with the big (or bigger) clubs. Dont burn your bridges. You may land up need to flog one of your players off to them later.
I doubt the other clubs are so nice to us with the "united tax".

We've been openly mocked by quite a few suits at other clubs in recent years in our transfer dealings. Klopp mocking us even with his "Football Disneyland" quote from Woodward.

They can attempt to portray themselves as stable when it is patently evident they aren't. They are unable to register new signings until FDJ is off the books, but we'll continue to be cowards and drag it out needlessly.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I'm predicting at least 4 weeks until this comes to any sort of conclusion. You know when a player goes on holiday, nothing happens. Then it's usually only when they're back for a couple of weeks that we see any sort of movement.

Can't we just park this one and work on other signings?

sglowrider

I doubt the other clubs are so nice to us with the "united tax".

We've been openly mocked by quite a few suits at other clubs in recent years in our transfer dealings. Klopp mocking us even with his "Football Disneyland" quote from Woodward.

They can attempt to portray themselves as stable when it is patently evident they aren't. They are unable to register new signings until FDJ is off the books, but we'll continue to be cowards and drag it out needlessly.
Agree. But I suspect that's because of the lack of strategy and very poor management. We landed up fumbling in the dark a lot. I blame Woodward for this. Poor centralised management approach -- too much power was centralised in his hands. So we had the blind leading the blind.

In some way it was inevitable. We had Fergie who could boss other clubs around. Then when he left we lost that ability and never had a strategic plan and management to compensate for that vacuum. Thats on Woodward. His ego never allowed him to have enough self-awareness to notice his deficiencies.

Becks00

He wants to make it clear he’s being forced out which he’s well within his right to do to be honest.
Point is if he knows there is a strong possibility that he is leaving Barca then the whole I am happy at the biggest club in the world part was totally unnecessary or even if he does say it but then follow it up with a sort of only God knows the future kind of comment, then it would be more palatable.

I am a huge fan of the guy, he is a very good footballer and would totally love to have him at United but not signing him isn't the end of the world. We are bending over backwards like some second rate club compared to Barca just to lure him and I fear that would bring a sense of entitlement and him thinking he is bigger than the club should we eventually get him. I understand we are not in our finest moment right now and have to convince players of the Ten Hag project but it shouldn't really be to the extent we have pandered to Frenkie so far.

Keefy18

Agree. But I suspect that's because of the lack of strategy and very poor management. We landed up fumbling in the dark a lot. I blame Woodward for this. Poor centralised management approach -- too much power was centralised in his hands. So we had the blind leading the blind.

In some way it was inevitable. We had Fergie who could boss other clubs around. Then when he left we lost that ability and never had a strategic plan and management to compensate for that vaccum.
Well that's my point, we lack the skill / strategy / poor management (Call it whatever you like) to get these deals done in a ruthless but business like fashion.

I know its the first big transfer window post Woodward but I honestly don't see things changing quickly regardless of Woodward or not.

sglowrider

Point is if he knows there is a strong possibility that he is leaving Barca then the whole I am happy at the biggest club in the world part was totally unnecessary or even if he does say it but then follow it up with a sort of only God knows the future kind of comment, then it would be more palatable.

I am a huge fan of the guy, he is a very good footballer and would totally love to have him at United but not signing him isn't the end of the world. We are bending over backwards like some second rate club compared to Barca just to lure him and I fear that would bring a sense of entitlement and him thinking he is bigger than the club should we eventually get him. I understand we are not in our finest moment right now and have to convince players of the Ten Hag project but it shouldn't really be to the extent we have pandered to Frenkie so far.
He needs to thread the needle.

He has to make himself look wanted and at the same time looked like he is leaving against his will so that he can get a bump up in his United package to entice him over --- and at the same time, not to look like some money grabber with the Barca fans in case the deal falls through.

Status
Not open for further replies.