Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hester_manc

In my opinion there is a lack of players in that position with De Jong`s abilities, and who can be bought. So I think we have to buy the price, if we want top quality.

CallyRed

Old man moan:
I truly miss the days of getting transfer updates from Teletext.

Stadjer

In my opinion there is a lack of players in that position with De Jong`s abilities, and who can be bought. So I think we have to buy the price, if we want top quality.
Verratti seems the only other one who is of top quality in that position... but he is impossible to get.

TOKUGAWA-X

We can still pursuit FDJ for a while but at the same time we should be signing up in other important positions.

Classic United, we will get to late july and no signings at all.

fallengt

Name one player of the de Jong his quality who is also on the market? Or even name one player who plays like de Jong and is as good as he is?
Give me a break. By that logic, no club would function if they didn't have FDJ in their team?
This "all or nothing" mentality got us nowhere in the past few years.
Di Maria? AWB? Macguire? Lukaku? Sanchez? No player was as good as them when we made signing right? feck off.
Our high profile signings tend to be on the negative side of things. Pardon me for feeling pissed off.

Last edited:

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Yeah but that's the point isn't it? Xavi doesn't want to change style, he has the system he likes playing so knows what type of midfielders he wants. So why keep someone with De Jongs value if you know that's not what you want for your system?
Because there's almost no player like Busquets anymore and you can't build your whole system around a player that is going to be retired within 2 years.

Xavi likes Zubimendi very much. The problem is that he has a €60M clause and Real Sociedad will not negotiate for the player.
60M for him would be crazy. I can see the appeal but he likes dropping deep far too much for my taste and I have doubts he'll be suited for high level CL games. I mean the kid is 23 and slow as f*ck, he's pretty passive off the ball even if he's a very good defender and while he's very good at seeing open space and figure out where to put the ball, his passing game is good but nothing special and he doesn't particularly shines under pressure. He's a very Liga player.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Umm what? Sounds like just what a regular fan would do and how a professional athelete would react. Don’t see whats weird here.
Yeah, it does all look pretty normal, but I can also see it panning out that way.

Overexcited guy banging on and on while the other two smile nervously hoping he buggers off ASAP so they can get on with their holiday.

That would be pretty normal too.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
"Coming days" huh.

Wonder how many hours it takes to draft up a new offer since Murtough is apparently working 16-hour days on this deal.
We’re not buying a packet of peanuts. We’re talking about an eighty million euro transaction. There are a lot of fine details to work out. And when attorneys are involved it takes days to go over the finer details of such a contract. It took me several months to close a seven million dollar deal, albeit with significantly lesser resources. People seem to think it’s a casual conversation, a few scribbles on a piece of paper and voila.

The lack of basic business knowledge and experience that people use as their basis to criticise the speed of transfer negotiations, is really laughable. Payment structures, currency fluctuations, proof of funds, structures and parameters of add-ons, default protections and contingencies are just some of the complicated factors. Then you have to factor in the speed at which the other party responds and their amenability and flexibility with regards to how and when payments are made. Barca are likely fairly keen to get most of the money up front, given their economic situation. That can greatly complicate things because a lot of transfer activity and budgeting is predicated on installment payments over 3-5 years.

Our transfer budget, which is in itself a ludicrously simple moniker for such capital investment, isn’t reflected in how much cash we have sitting in a big chest. We may have 90m on hand but a so called budget of 150 or 200m dependent on payment structures. It is also influenced by the payment structures of outgoing deals, and liabilities still owed on past transfers both incoming and outgoing.

An offer in this case is a proposed package based on constant and fluid conversations addressing all the myriad factors of the transfer. Agreement has to be reached on all of them. It can be the case that a player can be bought for 75m if the entire fee is played up front or 85m if they are paid for over 4 years. The time value of money is more relevant than ever given currently excessive inflationary pressures. Then factor in Barca’s complicated current financial circumstances and the weighting is probably heavily leaned towards a larger up front payment, which places a lot of stress on United’s immediate cash flow, and rightly the club will be looking for certain concessions in such an eventuality; because a heavily weighted up front deal for FDJ will necessitate that other deals in this window don’t require substantial up front cash requirements. That in itself changed the budgetary outlook for the next 3-5 years. Furthermore, if the club need to access a credit facility to fulfill the up front cash requirements on this transfer or subsequent transfers, then the cost of money also needs to be factored in.

But yes, ridiculous it might take a few days. Sigh.

Last edited:

Stadjer

Give me a break. By that logic, no club would function if they don't have FDJ in their team?
This "all or nothing" mentality got us nowhere in the past few years.
Di Maria? AWB? Macguire? Lukaku? Sanchez? No player was as good as them when we made signing right? feck off.
Our high profiles signings tend to be on the negative side of things. Pardon me for feeling pissed off.
It depends on the system a manager plays. If you want to play like ten Hag wants to play than you need someone like FDJ. You can play with a single defensive midfielder and have succes, like Madrid and Cassimiro but that is not how ten Hag wants to play. For ten Hag his system you need someone like Frenkie de Jong, what other player can play that role for ten Hag at a similar level and can be bought at this time? Frenkie is one of the best if he plays in that role and it is possible to get him. Why look for a different option? Personally i dont know any other player who can do that role as well as de Jong and who also wants to go to Manchester United.

Those players you mention only di Maria was really world class at the time he signed. However he didnt fit the manager his system. Frenkie does fit the manager his system and is world class at his role. He is the perfect option and Barcelona is open to selling him.

Tavern in the town

We’re not buying a packet of peanuts. We’re talking about an eighty million euro transaction. There are a lot of fine details to work out. And when attorneys are involved it takes days to go over the finer details of such a contract. It took me several months to close a seven million dollar deal, albeit with significantly lesser resources. People seem to think it’s a casual conversation, a few scribbles on a piece of paper and voila.

The lack of basic business knowledge and experience that people use as their basis to criticise the speed of transfer negotiations, is really laughable. Payment structures, currency fluctuations, proof of funds, structures and parameters of add-ons, default protections and contingencies are just some of the complicated factors.
Strange how these things seem to affect us more than any other club.

Jericholyte2

Old man moan:
You used to find out tomorrows rumours by seeing the back page tease on SkySportsNews at 23:55 each night, then the Teletext rumour page (316 IIRC) and then of course the FanZone ads with the 0900 numbers!

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Strange how these things seem to affect us more than any other club.
Based on what? Purely anecdotal evidence from a handful of transfers other clubs have done? I am sure you have tons of empirical evidence to back that statement up, and aren’t at all leaping to wild conclusions based on Liverpool signing Nunez. Because you know how long Liverpool were working on that deal, the demands of the other club, and their responsiveness. It definitely has nothing to do with the added level of scrutiny you place on our transfer business because of your emotional investment in the issue, repeatedly hitting F5. You certainly haven’t used a handful of completed deals around Europe to jump to that conclusion, and ignored the exponentially greater amount of deals that remain in negotiations and haven’t been completed. Definitely not,

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
I'd be surprised if ETH were the one leaking this information.
Just when we get rid of Lingard and Pogba leaking stories, ETH turns up
Old man moan:
I don't miss the telling off from my Mam when the phone bill came through and she found out I had called teamtalk for the latest transfer news.

"Utd linked with mystery Spanish striker "

That's me calling up right away to find that out.

Tavern in the town

Based on what? Purely anecdotal evidence from a handful of transfers other clubs have done. I am sure you have tons of empirical evidence to back that statement up, and aren’t at all leaping to wild conclusions based on Liverpool signing Nunez.
That was tongue in cheek but it’s clear you’re exaggerating based on the hordes of transfers that don’t take that long to complete. We ourselves signed Berbatov for a record fee on deadline day. We bought Martial very late in the window for a significant fee plus more in add ons. Every deadline day you see transfers completed that have taken no more than 48 hours. It’s simply about the willingness to make a deal happen quickly.

roseguy64

That was tongue in cheek but it’s clear you’re exaggerating based on the hordes of transfers that don’t take that long to complete. We ourselves signed Berbatov for a record fee on deadline day. We bought Martial very late in the window for a significant fee plus more in add ons. Every deadline day you see transfers completed that have taken no more than 48 hours. It’s simply about the willingness to make a deal happen quickly.
Yes, a willingness on all parties to make it get done quickly.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

The lack of basic business knowledge and experience that people use as their basis to criticise the speed of transfer negotiations, is really laughable. Payment structures, currency fluctuations, proof of funds, structures and parameters of add-ons, default protections and contingencies are just some of the complicated factors. Then you have to factor in the speed at which the other party responds and their amenability and flexibility with regards to how and when payments are made. Barca are likely fairly keen to get most of the money up front, given their economic situation. That can greatly complicate things because a lot of transfer activity and budgeting is predicated on installment payments over 3-5 years.

Our transfer budget, which is in itself a ludicrously simple moniker for such capital investment, isn’t reflected in how much cash we have sitting in a big chest. We may have 90m on hand but a so called budget of 150 or 200m dependent on payment structures. It is also influenced by the payment structures of outgoing deals, and liabilities still owed on past transfers both incoming and outgoing.

An offer in this case is a proposed package based on constant and fluid conversations addressing all the myriad factors of the transfer. Agreement has to be reached on all of them. It can be the case that a player can be bought for 75m if the entire fee is played up front or 85m if they are paid for over 4 years. The time value of money is more relevant than ever given currently excessive inflationary pressures. Then factor in Barca’s complicated current financial circumstances and the weighting is probably heavily leaned towards a larger up front payment, which places a lot of stress on United’s immediate cash flow, and rightly the club will be looking for certain concessions in such an eventuality; because a heavily weighted up front deal for FDJ will necessitate that other deals in this window don’t require substantial up front cash requirements. That in itself changed the budgetary outlook for the next 3-5 years. Furthermore, if the club need to access a credit facility to fulfill the up front cash requirements on this transfer or subsequent transfers, then the cost of money also needs to be factored in.

But yes, ridiculous it might take a few days. Sigh.
Great post. Spoken like someone who has real world experience and knowledge... Unlike
the whinging ignorant fools we seem to have posting nowadays.

CallyRed

I still use teletext to check results from our league. Brilliant in its simplicity.
It really was. None of this having to put up with attention seeking bullshitters on the wind up.

You used to find out tomorrows rumours by seeing the back page tease on SkySportsNews at 23:55 each night, then the Teletext rumour page (316 IIRC) and then of course the FanZone ads with the 0900 numbers!
I don't miss the telling off from my Mam when the phone bill came through and she found out I had called teamtalk for the latest transfer news.

"Utd linked with mystery Spanish striker "

That's me calling up right away to find that out.
I remember following the Ronaldinho transfer saga on Teletext. Think I checked every bloody hour for like a week.

Never had Sky back then, my source of transfer news was either Teletext or sadly the Sun (dad was a reader back then).

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Or a willingness to pay over the odds, cash up front because of time sensitive factors. Deadline day deals are considered financially and strategically impudent for a reason. Just because something can be done, doesn’t mean it should be done. We could have certainly plonked 80m up front and done the deal a while ago. That’s what you’re advocating for is it? Pay over the odds so we can do the deal quickly and satisfy your transfer cravings?

Rapidity of the deal isn’t the metric by which we should be judging the success of a signing. It only becomes a factor when it drags on so long as to damage the player’s integration into pre-season training. A point we haven’t come close to reaching yet.

TheReligion

Abusive
Takes two to tango.

Status
Not open for further replies.