Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Di Maria played fine here until he fell out with LVG and his house got burgled. After that point it all fell apart.

Sure there are risks, but ETH knows the player already very well. I don't think they will be similar.
Yeah ripped it up for a month then for some reason got switched out to the wing

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No idea, but we would not make so much effort for nothing. We are going to end up signing him.
We've failed to sign after so much legwork a couple times before. Not sure what this is based on.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah ripped it up for a month then for some reason got switched out to the wing
It was just a strange match. Di Maria was very creative and loved playing killer passes, LVG hated that and just wanted ball circulation.

Only LVG would bench his most creative player in a team that struggled to score goals. ADM was still our highest assister that year, and he barely played half of the season!

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Personally, I really can't see us getting De Jong, I just don't think the player is keen on the idea
The only 'alternative' I've heard rumours about, would be Ruben Neves.
I think he gets a lot of undeserved critisism on here, I think he is much better than some give him credit for.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Add ons and personal terms left, can you mention a transfer that didn't go through from the point
Deals break down at various stages. 20m of fee structure is not agreed. Personal terms are not agreed.

We were something like 20m off Sancho the first season we tried to get him and personal terms were never an issue, it was all about plugging that gap beteeen Dortmund and United which never got plugged.

Here, personal terms AREN'T agreed and theres a 20m structure that's evidently more than just complicated, because its held off the deal for over a week now, and counting.

EtH

I am now resigned to him staying or going elsewhere just as I was up until a couple of weeks ago. It’s lonely but it just feels right.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I am now resigned to him staying or going elsewhere just as I was up until a couple of weeks ago. It’s lonely but it just feels right.
Pretty sure he's going nowhere other than United if he leaves.
Chelsea are said to be interested if negotiations break down, but thats been passed off as a non-starter i believe, was one line in an article.
Barca need him gone, United want him, we're still negotiating...

Trex

Deals break down at various stages. 20m of fee structure is not agreed. Personal terms are not agreed.

We were something like 20m off Sancho the first season we tried to get him and personal terms were never an issue, it was all about plugging that gap beteeen Dortmund and United which never got plugged.

Here, personal terms AREN'T agreed and theres a 20m structure that's evidently more than just complicated, because its held off the deal for over a week now, and counting.
This is a deal that virtually all top sources in football has reported we have agreed a base fee which is the most difficult part of any transfer deal. In the Sancho case it was all speculation, we were as close to getting him then as we were to getting Maguire under Mourinho. This is very advance...yes of course there are still issues to iron out and its proving difficult but it would be the closest to signing a player we have come without completing it since Mikel Obi.

croadyman

This is a deal that virtually all top sources is football has reported we have agreed a base fee which is the most difficult part of any transfer deal. In the Sancho case it was all speculation, we were as close to getting him then as we were to getting Maguire under Mourinho. This is very advance...yes of course there are still issues to iron out and its proving difficult but it would be the closest to signing a player we have come without completing it since Mikel Obi.
Do we think it's the structure of this €20m which is proving more problematic or personal terms

Yakuza_devils

If my boss say he will do everything to keep me and then ask me to take a significant paycut knowing well that another company is offering the same or higher than my current wages.

In other words, my boss is asking me to feck off right?

EtH

Where else is he going to go? :lol:
Somewhere else. Or nowhere.

Pretty sure he's going nowhere other than United if he leaves.
Chelsea are said to be interested if negotiations break down, but thats been passed off as a non-starter i believe, was one line in an article.
Barca need him gone, United want him, we're still negotiating...
It’s July and we haven’t even fully agreed a fee yet. Safe to say negotiations have stalled if not totally broken down.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Somewhere else. Or nowhere.

It’s July and we haven’t even fully agreed a fee yet. Safe to say negotiations have stalled if not totally broken down.
Seeing as you have inside knowledge, can you advise on any other transfers we might be planning? I could whack some money on them and make a killing - bit skint at the mo, it'd help a lot!

As i've said numerous times, have we briefed that we've walked away? You know, as United are VERY VERY good at doing when we're ending interest?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This is a deal that virtually all top sources in football has reported we have agreed a base fee which is the most difficult part of any transfer deal. In the Sancho case it was all speculation, we were as close to getting him then as we were to getting Maguire under Mourinho. This is very advance...yes of course there are still issues to iron out and its proving difficult but it would be the closest to signing a player we have come without completing it since Mikel Obi.
The base fee isnt always the most complicated part of the deal. Yes its advanced but so were our talks for Sancho.

Herman Toothrot

Never been less interested or invested in a potential signing. Just want a definitive yay or nay asap so we can move on and try to sign someone who would be more keen and have less baggage with his current club. I’m putting a lot of faith in ETH having been able to convince him but I’m highly doubtful. FDJ will need to be dragged out of Barcelona.

In all honesty this window has been very underwhelming thus far especially considering how unbelievably bad we were last season and how far we are behind the top teams in general. Even if we get this Martinez in, it just smacks of squad players and I was hoping for at least 3 nailed on starters that are way better than what we already have.

I definitely see us starting the season (in less than 5 weeks) with a lot weaker starting 11 especially without Matic, Pogba and Ronaldo.
I think you make some good points. I am very bored by the 'transfer saga' though I am excited about the prospect of having De Jong in the side. Like you, my faith in this coming through is based entirely on Ten Hag's relationship with the player. I find it unfathomable that he'd not have spoken with De Jong and got an unofficial go-ahead before persuing a lengthy negotiation. If it does fall apart, I'll not be calling for Ten Hag's head, but it wouldn't reflect well on him.

The window has been underwhelming so far, but if we do end up with De Jong, Eriksen, Martinez and Malacia (we'll need another if reports of Ronaldo's tantrum are as they seem) then I'll welcome our move away from behaving like The Trafford Globetrotters. It won't be enough to elevate us to champions, but it speaks to us having a plan and a long-term vision for the football team. Signing 36-year-olds to stop them from going to your rivals is not a plan. It was the same with Schweinsteiger, Sanchez and to a lesser extent Cavani and Di Maria.

It's not easy to admit, but we should be looking at how Liverpool rebuilt under Klopp and it will likely take time, patience and some less exciting transfer windows.

Trex

Yeah surely we are confident that are able to find middle ground with these addons
I think United don't want to be shafted by Barca so are taking their time, its the fans that seem eager especially as we aren't in the know of the inner workings of the transfer.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
The base fee isnt always the most complicated part of the deal. Yes its advanced but so were our talks for Sancho.
Didn't we also have a strict deadline for Sancho, which we didn't take seriously and when it passed, Dortmund basically told us to do one and stuck to it?

Trex

Was it, from what I remember it was speculations....Dortmund wanted of fee in 100+, United didn't want to go that high and that was it, we switched targets and that's it. The two cases aren't even comparable.
Sancho case was more like Maguire under Jose.

EtH

Seeing as you have inside knowledge, can you advise on any other transfers we might be planning? I could whack some money on them and make a killing - bit skint at the mo, it'd help a lot!

As i've said numerous times, have we briefed that we've walked away? You know, as United are VERY VERY good at doing when we're ending interest?
It’s called inference. Experience also enters the equation. You know like watching us waste previous windows chasing unattainable targets.

Either way you can choose to live and love but don’t cry to me when it all comes crashing down.

Status
Not open for further replies.