Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
I like how he is standing up to the corporate crap barca is pulling. But Its world cup year freddie, and you need to be playing regularly but not as a centerback. Come over, let's talk son.

bosskeano

Xavi and Barcelona are taking the piss out of Frenkie to the point of embarrassing him right now

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
FIFA/UEFA rules reportedly prevent the deferred wages being paid directly by a buying club (in this case United).

I suppose there is no reason why Chelsea or some other club couldn't offer €17m more than Barca's asking price for the player (thereby effectively paying off the outstanding wages, albeit indirectly). This would presumably circumvent the FIFA/UEFA rules. It doesn't look like anyone is particularly keen to do this at the moment, which leaves Barca to negotiate a settlement with De Jong before any transfer can happen.
If you believe the Barcelona fans in this thread, they don’t own him the 17m because it’s meant to be paid over the remaining period of his contract.

Surely if that’s the case, any club that wants to cover the 17m can just say it’s a signing bonus to bypass FIFA/UEFA law?

OrcaFat

The real question in my mind is, do they really want this thing to go to the court of arbitration? By contract, he can just sit there. But the way they renegotiated his contract, then tried to get rid of him to avoid paying it while buying players to replace him, is not going to sit well with any arbitrator, I don't think.
Yeah, I think they are in a weak position and they’re trying to make his staying there as unpalatable as possible so he will take a lower pay off to get away. If they eventually make a reasonable offer (who knows, 50% of what he agreed to “defer”?) that might be enough.

I don’t know any of the contract terms or understand the legal implications but it doesn’t sound like law suits or arbitration would apply unless he stays at Barca and they then refuse to pay him what his new (current) contract promises, possibly arguing that he should have agreed to move (either morally or having received a “fair” offer to settle, or whatever). I wouldn’t rule out any level of depravity on their part.

NLunited

Xavi and Barcelona are taking the piss out of Frenkie to the point of embarrassing him right now
Not for 22.5 million a year. They are embarrassing themselves.

They have no leverage against him other than benching him or playing him out of position.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
If you believe the Barcelona fans in this thread, they don’t own him the 17m because it’s meant to be paid over the remaining period of his contract.
I thought we all accepted that was the case.

The wages while morally owed maybe aren't legally owed if a new contract was drawn up. Therefore the only way he can get the money is to stay and honour the contract. But they don't want him to stay and get the wages due.

But from their perspective if he is adamant he wants the money then they may as well keep him.

It's a dicey standoff.

RedRob

"I believe. I believe there will be more. T

Surely if that’s the case, any club that wants to cover the 17m can just say it’s a signing bonus to bypass FIFA/UEFA law?
Both of these statements are technically true, to be fair. He signed a renegotiated contract, which meant that his salary increases significantly this season in exchange for being much reduced for the last two. And any club could in theory:
a) increase the bid by 17M to keep UEFA happy - but Barca would still just try to keep the marked-up price and pay FDJ nothing, or
b) pay the 17M directly to FDJ themselves - but why should they when it's to cover his deferred salary playing for Barca.

It's like that scene in Blackadder when Edmund owes the church £1,000 and Percy tells him to pay the "trifling amount" which Blackadder obviously doesn't have. £17M isn't a small amount of cash, why should United or any other club pay that deferred salary (especially as a down payment) when Barca are as keen as anyone for the transfer to go through?

elmo

The wages while morally owed maybe aren't legally owed if a new contract was drawn up. Therefore the only way he can get the money is to stay and honour the contract. But they don't want him to stay and get the wages due.

But from their perspective if he is adamant he wants the money then they may as well keep him.

It's a dicey standoff.
Would be hilarious if he ends up staying and fecks Barcelona where they’ve so many signings but can’t field a single one of them in their league.

elmo

Both of these statements are technically true, to be fair. He signed a renegotiated contract, which meant that his salary increases significantly this season in exchange for being much reduced for the last two. And any club could in theory:
a) increase the bid by 17M to keep UEFA happy - but Barca would still just try to keep the marked-up price and pay FDJ nothing, or
b) pay the 17M directly to FDJ themselves - but why should they when it's to cover his deferred salary playing for Barca.

It's like that scene in Blackadder when Edmund owes the church £1,000 and Percy tells him to pay the "trifling amount" which Blackadder obviously doesn't have. £17M isn't a small amount of cash, why should United or any other club pay that deferred salary (especially as a down payment) when Barca are as keen as anyone for the transfer to go through?
Which is why we should have enforced a deadline and told Barcelona to feck off if the deal wasn’t settled.

Even they aren’t stupid enough to say no to 75m for 17m.

Sid234

Surprised no-one posted his highlights from last night. Can see how limited he is back there
Maybe it's the Muppet in me reading too much into it but his body language seems so dejected - especially in some parts right after he passes the ball off.

I have seen a few other videos of him on YouTube from previous barca seasobs and he seems very proactive and energetic but I don't know if it's becuase he's playing CB and trying to stay disciplined..

Can't wait for this saga to end, hopefully with him being a United player..

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
When we sold Sanchez it was reported that we had to give him a payoff of between £5m and £10m to account for the wages he would lose out on over the remainder of his contract on by moving to Inter.

Seems like a similar situation to me except Barca don't want to pay anything.

The main difference is the reason behind the ridiculous salary we gave Sanchez (Woodward) vs a 'deferral' signed in good faith that De Jong would see out the contract.

(and De Jong would rather stay)

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Normally I would agree 100% but my issue is that this guy has shown no public desire to join United and just imagine he ends up being a dud, which is not beyond the realms of impossibility. It may not have cost us anything but I'm sure that there are equally viable targets that we could have got over the line during all this time.

You only behave like this for the Mbappe, Messi, Haaland, Kane level deals....not Frenkie fecking de Jong.
We know why he isn’t saying publically he will leave, because it will likely cost him millions of euros personally.
We know categorically he will not be a dud because we can review his time at Ajax under the same manager we have now, and can see he was an exceptional player which is why Barca forked out £85m for him in the first place.
As for the end of your post, if you can’t see that this deal is every bit the same level as those players you mention then I can’t explain enough to help you out.

edcunited1878

Would be hilarious if he ends up staying and fecks Barcelona where they’ve so many signings but can’t field a single one of them in their league.
And those signings are extremely important to their intended success, as their annual projected budgets are based on league and CL success.

The players they brought in are very good and improved them loads, which is necessary because they have to compete in the league and in Europe to reach their projected financial forecasts which are tied to financial fair play.

Mmm-Qatarian

It's a dicey standoff.
Not sure if it's quite that simple. At this stage it seems as though De Jong is not viewed by Barcelona as being worth the quite extortionate wages that they will have to pay him if he decides to stay. In paying him the 17 million they'd avoid paying him potentially up to 90 million across the years remaining on his contact, and also obviously rake in whatever fee (reportedly around 85 million in total) that either United or another interested party are offering for his services.

I don't think Barca will necessarily look at his sale as being pointless if they have to pay him the 17 million for him to go; they'd be foregoing quite a bit more than that if they decide to keep him.

Counterfactual

Maybe it's the Muppet in me reading too much into it but his body language seems so dejected - especially in some parts right after he passes the ball off.

I have seen a few other videos of him on YouTube from previous barca seasobs and he seems very proactive and energetic but I don't know if it's becuase he's playing CB and trying to stay disciplined..

Can't wait for this saga to end, hopefully with him being a United player..
Are you sure it's not the music track skewing your impression? :lol:

RU Devil

Yeah, that's why FdJ (& others) will eventually be out. Imagine spending $100m on Lewa & Raphinha, plus Kessie on a free and not being able to play them, while still paying their salary. Rumors are only Christensen has been able to be registered. Not sure the 'levers' could help in registering the any of the above 3, let alone Kounde. Gotta wonder how much Barca has to pay any outgoings for any deferred wages. You would think agents probably are working that angle. A bit insane Barca committed to signing new players before getting rid of those that need to leave.

0le

When we sold Sanchez it was reported that we had to give him a payoff of between £5m and £10m to account for the wages he would lose out on over the remainder of his contract on by moving to Inter.

The main difference is the reason behind the ridiculous salary we gave Sanchez (Woodward) vs a 'deferral' signed in good faith that De Jong would see out the contract.

I honestly often forget he even played for us. :lol:

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Not sure if it's quite that simple. At this stage it seems as though De Jong is not viewed by Barcelona as being worth the quite extortionate wages that they will have to pay him if he decides to stay. In paying him the 17 million they'd avoid paying him potentially up to 90 million across the years remaining on his contact, and also obviously rake in whatever fee (reportedly around 85 million in total) that either United or another interested party are offering for his services.

I don't think Barca will necessarily look at his sale as being pointless if they have to pay him the 17 million for him to go; they'd be foregoing quite a bit more than that if they decide to keep him.
Yeah, of course it's not that simple, but it's a variation of that. Or this post, which is basically the same.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
So there is no end in sight for this, eh? If, as it looks, we are willing to wait until the end of the window to get this done, doesn't that screw up our chances of getting an alternative if it simply doesn't work out?
ETH is basically FDJ or no - one. There aren't any alternatives.

RedRob

"I believe. I believe there will be more. T
Which is why we should have enforced a deadline and told Barcelona to feck off if the deal wasn’t settled.

Even they aren’t stupid enough to say no to 75m for 17m.
And then what?
Go into the season with an even weaker CM? Or signed... who? Even then, if there is someone to sign, we'd already have very visibly made them second choice and they may have been less than enthusiastic.
Marching into negotiations and laying down ultimatums like you've got the biggest one in the room only works if you've got a viable backup plan.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
And then what?
Go into the season with an even weaker CM? Or signed... who? Even then, if there is someone to sign, we'd already have very visibly made them second choice and they may have been less than enthusiastic.
Marching into negotiations and laying down ultimatums like you've got the biggest one in the room only works if you've got a viable backup plan.
True, because you inevitably get told where to go, and have your bluff called.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
And then what?
And this is our issue - what's the backup? Surely there has to be one? FDJ or no one is scary. I shudder to think of MCFred lining up again next season, especially against City or Liverpool.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
And this is our issue - what's the backup? Surely there has to be one? FDJ or no one is scary. I shudder to think of MCFred lining up again next season, especially against City or Liverpool.
Maybe it's FdJ or no one because ten Hag knows that de Jong is going to sign when the issues are sorted?
There has to be some reason as to why he's reluctant to buy anyone else?

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Posting a picture with him and Kroos in it. Clearly a message that he wants to play in midfield. Done deal.

NZT-One

I understood the current situation differently. I don't know the numbers exactly but it will be enough to bring the point across.
FDJ sat on a wage package of 60 million for 5 years. 10 million per year plus a stepped loyality bonus, 1 million after the first year, 2 after the second, 3 after the third, 4 after the fourth
(10+1)+(10+2)+(10+3)+(10+4)+10=60

As the virus hit he agreed to change his contract in a way, that his wage package stayed the same in total but the payments were structured differently. For example like this:
(6+1)+(6+2)+(13+3)+(13+3)+13=60

So if there are no other clauses involved in FDJ contract, and he would be transfered in his third year, than he would "lose" out the increased earnings of the fourth and fifth year.

I know the numbers aren't correct, but that is how I understood the situation, which would also be an explanation of why Barca seems intent not to pay him the defered wages, as they are simply not due. The player could sit out his contract to receive the full wage package. But if he wants to go out early, he misses the benefits.

One point seems pretty clear, he seems pretty badly advised legally and economically, if that is the case.

Chief123

Only worry is some other team coming in and agreeing to pay the transfer fee and the wages owed? Is it possible?
Apparently we’ve already entertained that approach but been told it’s not possible from a legal perspective. No idea if true.

Status
Not open for further replies.