Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordSpud

Wont hear anything until Thursday then. If that deal for their cash injection doesnt go through they will likely do the deal at 60-70m and that is probably what we are hedging our bets on tbh. Could bite us back but lets see

dinostar77

May have been posted before, really good analysis video. His stats will obviously change with Utd as he will be the focal point of the team.

From the video it seems like Fred from our current midfielders would be his best paring in a double pivot.

Trex

For those who watch him regularly, does he need a CDM played next to him?
He can play in a double pivot, he did that in Ajax his partner was more a ball playing CM that was smart enough to cover when Frenkie made a move forward.
In the recent games he plays as a single pivot with two No10 in front of him.
So no he doesn't need a CDM next to him, its just Caf logic.

Wezzaldo

I stayed in Manchester for 3 weeks and I can understand why she might not like it, food is crap, the wheather is horrible but the people are generally nice.
This is why having an a good English core might be nice.
My issue though is why do City South American and Spanish contingent don't complain about this?
You obviously didn’t go to the right places if you think the food is crap. There’s some exceptional places to eat in Manchester.

Marwood

Seriously? You have Bruno, VdB, Sancho. And Pereira, Garner, Mejbri etc on the way. Fred starts for Brasil.

There is plenty of football in the team. FdJ will indeed knit it all together, and more importantly they will be meticulously managed.
You've just watched a full season of terrible passing. So yeah seriously.

There's how a team looks on paper and then there's how it plays in reality. Sounds like you're paying more attention to the former than the latter.

I don't really care who Fred plays for internationally. I care more about his first touch.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
You've just watched a full season of terrible passing. So yeah seriously.

There's how a team looks on paper and then there's how it plays in reality.

I don't really care who Fred plays for internationally. I care more about his first touch.
Luckily football managers of the world value more than just first touch. Fred is a very good player who gets unjustly slated by our fan base.

city-puma

He can be in doubt pivot, deep playmaker in diamond, CB, 4-3-3, etc. he will find a place in any setup.

Dominos

May have been posted before, really good analysis video. His stats will obviously change with Utd as he will be the focal point of the team.

From the video it seems like Fred from our current midfielders would be his best paring in a double pivot.
Realistically, if his weaknesses are frequency of defensive contributions and defensive positioning, I'm not convinced Fred is the answer. We surely need someone who's positionally disciplined and very strong defensively next to him. Fred is tenacious and energetic, but he loses too many duels and is also lacks the positional discipline in order to play the defensive midfield role. We really should be looking at another signing in midfield.

Marwood

Luckily football managers of the world value more than just first touch. Fred is a very good player who gets unjustly slated by our fan base.
Some of them don't value things like first touch and passing enough.

Our last two managers for example. Look where that got us.

I'm not saying Fred is rubbish. I just don't care that he plays for Brasil. Much more meaningful is how he plays for us against the opposition we face.

I've seen enough of that to know you can't put de Jong next to him and expect to see the best of de Jong.

Fred won't be in the starting XI when/if we get back to the very top. His bottom level is too low.

Brophs

The One and Only
Slightly off topic, but some of these deals Barca are rumoured to be getting themselves into. You can only sell the farm once and all that.

OmarUnited4ever

Great player, supremely talented and can even get better.

But even if we get him, it's not enough, we will still need, at a minimum, a starting quality DM and a a quality verstile attacker.

And more importantly, ETH will need to do some serious coaching to what remains from this squad plus the new comers, huge pre-season awaits this squad.

Hoof the ball

Whatever happened to Barca? Did paying Messi those obscene wages all over those years finally broke them?
Nah. It's a very popular sentiment here on Redcafe, repeated ad-nauseum, however, it's blatantly not true. As of Messi's departure in 2021 :-

Even without Messi, Barcelona’s annual wages account for 95 per cent of their income which exceeds the limit imposed by La Liga.

Bartomeu was the issue and this is the aftermath.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

More so, it's not only've been posted here (although there's nothing wrong with posting it again — stuff disappears very quickly in those transfer threads), the video has been done by one of our own, @Raees

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Whatever happened to Barca? Did paying Messi those obscene wages all over those years finally broke them?
150m on Coutinho, 150m on Dembele, 100m in Griezmann, obscene wages on everyone, etc. COVID accelerated it all.

croadyman

Great player, supremely talented and can even get better.

But even if we get him, it's not enough, we will still need, at a minimum, a starting quality DM and a a quality verstile attacker.

And more importantly, ETH will need to do some serious coaching to what remains from this squad plus the new comers, huge pre-season awaits this squad.
Yeah despite what is being said I feel we need a quality DM in there as well

croadyman

Still worry about that Santi Ovalle who's meant to be tier 1 for Barca adamant he's not leaving at all.

Walters_19_MuFc

We need exactly that! Fred and McT aren’t really great at ball control so having Frenkie there will make wonders for our play from the back.
Yep! Only worry is, if De Jong is unavailable, then what do we do? Does he put Van de Beek in there next to Fred/McTominay or does he get another midfielder who can play a similar role to Frenkie?

My guess is that we'll have De Jong, Fred, McTominay and Van de Beek all rotating in the pivot position, with the latter also playing as a 10 on some occasions.

phelans shorts

Nah. It's a very popular sentiment here on Redcafe, repeated ad-nauseum, however, it's blatantly not true. As of Messi's departure in 2021 :-

Even without Messi, Barcelona’s annual wages account for 95 per cent of their income which exceeds the limit imposed by La Liga.

Bartomeu was the issue and this is the aftermath.
You say this as though Messi’s wage didn’t set a precedent. Anybody wanting a referral or a new deal can point at his wage and say “if he gets half a million then I’m worth 200k” and it snowballs. So it blatantly is true as a major factor.

avgp_1

Yeah Fred just doesn't give me enough confidence defensively, doesn't win enough physical duels. In the last game he was bouncing off Gallagher ffs, his interceptions are not too high either

croadyman

Yeah Fred just doesn't give me enough confidence defensively, doesn't win enough physical duels. In the last game he was bouncing off Gallagher ffs, his interceptions are not too high either
Not saying this is the right approach but maybe Erik will look at it until January then go for a DM if he feels we are being overrun too often.

allen7

Poor transfer business and especially doing multiple 100m plus signings most of them didn’t performed.

dinostar77

Realistically, if his weaknesses are frequency of defensive contributions and defensive positioning, I'm not convinced Fred is the answer. We surely need someone who's positionally disciplined and very strong defensively next to him. Fred is tenacious and energetic, but he loses too many duels and is also lacks the positional discipline in order to play the defensive midfield role. We really should be looking at another signing in midfield.
I dont disagree. But i cant see Utd buying 2 central midfielders this summer.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Some defence Fbref data for Fred vs similar players

Hoof the ball

You say this as though Messi’s wage didn’t set a precedent. Anybody wanting a referral or a new deal can point at his wage and say “if he gets half a million then I’m worth 200k” and it snowballs. So it blatantly is true as a major factor.
Ronaldo was on very comparable wages to Messi, too. Did he set a precedent for Madrid and Juve? Didn't seem to ruin them. If it did, would you have blamed Ronaldo equally for taking equally extraordinary wages? And even if it does set a precedent for both Messi and Ronaldo, they club still has to responsibly manage their outgoings, period. If you pay Michael Jordan more to stay with the Bulls, then you cut costs elsewhere, not pay the rest more and more even if they desire it. The transfer fees paid by Barcelona are a large reason why they're in this mess, on top of accumulating wages for a squad that was bloated.

Ahmer Baig

PoTMS

@Raees excellent video. Really useful for someone who has only watched him a handful of times.

Dante

Average bang
Quite a few recently have based themselves dead in the centre (City particularly) and I believe Ten Hag is doing the same living in the same complex on Deansgate as Pep and a few City players. Plenty of options from there.
They all live in Salford.

cabbs1989

ShinjiNinja26

Sky Sports News has been told United will walk away from the deal if they can't negotiate what they feel is a reasonable price - and are keeping an eye on other options.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-news-and-rumours-summer-transfer-window-2022
As we should. We’ve been a walk over for far too long during the Woodward years. This deal will be telling in seeing if there’s been any real change in how we operate in the market considering Utd have all the leverage in this deal.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Yep! Only worry is, if De Jong is unavailable, then what do we do? Does he put Van de Beek in there next to Fred/McTominay or does he get another midfielder who can play a similar role to Frenkie?

My guess is that we'll have De Jong, Fred, McTominay and Van de Beek all rotating in the pivot position, with the latter also playing as a 10 on some occasions.
I would love Garner as the rotation option tbh. It would be quite a step up but we have seen it happen before with Mount for example.

In my opinion Van de Beek would probably be used higher as an alternative for Bruno.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We’re being as stingy as we have to be since Woodward’s declaration that we have an unlimited budget and subsequent overpriced flops. But this time the club we are buying from absolutely need the money. I think this will get done.

HookedOnAPhelan

The problem was buying Harry Maguire at 80 million. So every team wants to make money when doing business with Man utd because of their incompetence in doing business..
Well the club we’re trying to do business with here spent £140m on Philippe Coutinho and have been close to bankruptcy for the past few years, so they’re hardly paragons of business themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.