Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

Fair weather fans. Embarassing.

As someone who can vaguely remember United being relegated, the past few years really have been par for course for Pre-Fergie days.

These United 'fans' better start getting used to it or find a new club to 'support'.
Why would anyone get used to gross mismanagement of an elite football club?

Marcus

If FDJ is the missing piece or the catalyst and all our players can adapt to ETH's style of play guided by FDJ and DVB, I am ok if he is the main signing me make.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'll be honest there is a level of constant anger and frustration that I can't understand when it comes to United. It's pretty obvious that some fans are gloryhunters or have no sense of perspective, so many posters wouldn't be able support less fortunate football clubs or teams in other sports where success and financial disparity isn't as large as it is in Football.
It’s bonkers

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I'll be honest there is a level of constant anger and frustration that I can't understand when it comes to United. It's pretty obvious that some fans are gloryhunters or have no sense of perspective, so many posters wouldn't be able support less fortunate football clubs or teams in other sports where success and financial disparity isn't as large as it is in Football.
Otherwise known as having standards?

We aren’t supporting Bolton here. Manchester United is one of the biggest clubs in the world. It’s not wrong to expect the club to act like it, on and off the pitch.

captaincantona

Fair weather fans. Embarassing.

As someone who can vaguely remember United being relegated, the past few years really have been par for course for Pre-Fergie days.

These United 'fans' better start getting used to it or find a new club to 'support'.
While I respect your age and your viewpoint it really is a load of bollox to say that because some fans Weren’t there for the bad times but are not happy with the current state of the club makes them “fair weather” and they can support someone else. There is no correlation.

As a club, utd have the profile, the revenue, the facilities, the history and the potential to be at the top table. That is not the case for most clubs ie. it is completely fine that fans have expectations that correlate with the potential of their team...the ups and downs of supporting a lower league team has its own charms and as a league of Ireland fan as well as a Utd fan for 30 odd years...I know both feelings well. There are “fair weather” fans...but a lot of what is going on right now is legitimate outrage.The club has been run appallingly with money spent by you and I and many like us. We have a right to expect more...regardless of when we started supporting Utd.

NLunited

According to Mundo Deportivo City is offering a deal with Bernardo Silva in the mix.

Pronewbie

Peep
While I respect your age and your viewpoint it really is a load of bollox to say that because some fans Weren’t there for the bad times but are not happy with the current state of the club makes them “fair weather” and they can support someone else. There is no correlation.

As a club, utd have the profile, the revenue, the facilities, the history and the potential to be at the top table. That is not the case for most clubs ie. it is completely fine that fans have expectations that correlate with the potential of their team...the ups and downs of supporting a lower league team has its own charms and as a league of Ireland fan as well as a Utd fan for 30 odd years...I know both feelings well. There are “fair weather” fans...but a lot of what is going on right now is legitimate outrage.The club has been run appallingly with money spent by you and I and many like us. We have a right to expect more...regardless of when we started supporting Utd.
Some fans treat this club as a religion where blind faith and dogma is required, while others (like myself) enjoy applying some level of critical thinking. As fans, we should be able to tolerate the wide spectrum of support the club receives.
If anything, we have been far more patient and kind than the likes of Barca and Madrid.

TheDosser56

Goldbridge has staked his reputation (well what's left of it) on a massive day today regarding De Jong. The type of update that will make or break the transfer

let's see. Ten Hag is as much to blame as the club for obsessing over De Jong.. get some new ideas mate not just sign former players!

Last edited:

Withnail

Some fans treat this club as a religion where blind faith and dogma is required, while others (like myself) enjoy applying some level of critical thinking. As fans, we should be able to tolerate the wide spectrum of support the club receives.
If anything, we have been far more patient and kind than the likes of Barca and Madrid.

It's not blind faith. It's just not feckin your toys out of the pram every five minutes and having a bit of perspective.There's a long way to go before the new season starts and the transfer window closes.

izec

I can imagine it and it's curtains for us if true. But Barca surely pay City on top of FdJ? Bernardo is a miles better player.
Not sure about this miles better, you underrate FDJ. Pep would make him look god like in midfield. Barca just made him look worse.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
It's not blind faith. It's just not feckin your toys out of the pram every five minutes and having a bit of perspective.There's a long way to go before the new season starts and the transfer window closes.
You're treating this transfer window as though it exists in a vacuum though. The last 10 years are a factor for a lot of people and how far we've sunk in spite of paying the biggest fees, biggest wages and the fans shelling out a tonne of money for the privalege of watching.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Otherwise known as having standards?

We aren’t supporting Bolton here. Manchester United is one of the biggest clubs in the world. It’s not wrong to expect the club to act like it, on and off the pitch.
That's not standard but entitlement. What has been standard for United is to not be that successful outside of Mangnall, Sir Matt Busby and Sir Alex Ferguson. What is standard is for Football to be cyclical, few clubs have had uninterrupted success. What many fans fail to accept is that their Manchester United fanhood coincides with a period of extreme success even for the biggest clubs, it coincides with incredible and nearly irreplicable stability at the top of world Football and that's where the total absense of perspective takes place.

In the past 5 years this Football club went to two EL finals, we won one and barely lost the other, we finished seconds twice in the PL. There are reasons to want more or to look at the two good PL campaigns with critical eyes but objectively these are good seasons in the world of Football including for top clubs, in particular when everyone can admit and see that this is a rough period for this club. We are in a rough period and still around the top of the Football world, that's our reality, not the doom and gloom nonsense that many are sharing.

It makes total sense to look at the club with critical eyes and talk about what should be done to become THE best club in the world but it makes no sense to act as if we weren't one of the top clubs in the world today, we are currently in the top 15-20 and it's good, it's not where we want to remain but it's not bad or worth the constant moanings.

diarm

You're treating this transfer window as though it exists in a vacuum though. The last 10 years are a factor for a lot of people and how far we've sunk in spite of paying the biggest fees, biggest wages and the fans shelling out a tonne of money for the privalege of watching.
There is an entire new team in place though, not just the coach - but an entire new leadership, scouting and recruitment team.

It's ok to give the new guys the benefit of the doubt and say "let's wait and see for a couple of weeks" before throwing our toys out of the pram, 4 days into the window.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
That's not standard but entitlement. What has been standard for United is to not be that successful outside of Mangnall, Sir Matt Busby and Sir Alex Ferguson. What is standard is for Football to be cyclical, few clubs have had uninterrupted success. What many fans fail to accept is that their Manchester United fanhood coincides with a period of extreme success even for the biggest clubs, it coincides with incredible and nearly irreplicable stability at the top of world Football and that's where the total absense of perspective takes place.

In the past 5 years this Football club went to two EL finals, we won one and barely lost the other, we finished seconds twice in the PL. There are reasons to want more or to look at the two good PL campaigns with critical eyes but objectively these are good seasons in the world of Football including for top clubs, in particular when everyone can admit and see that this is a rough period for this club. We are in a rough period and still around the top of the Football world, that's our reality, not the doom and gloom nonsense that many are sharing.

It makes total sense to look at the club with critical eyes and talk about what should be done to become THE best club in the world but it makes no sense to act as if we weren't one of the top clubs in the world today, we are currently in the top 15-20 and it's good, it's not where we want to remain but it's not bad or worth the constant moanings.
I am old enough to have seen the rise and fall of great clubs some of whom have more CL trophies in their cabinet then our club can ever dream off. For example back in my day the team to beat were AC Milan. They were surreal in terms of management, style and players. I remember reading the Italian teletext frightened that some Italian club would go for our Cantona, our Ince and our Giggs.

Then Berlusconi couldn't afford them anymore and they saw a rapid decline. I can accept that. What I struggle to accept is that we're owned by leeches and that the little money (relatively speaking) is spent badly by idiots. I can accept United not being among the top 5 clubs in the world. What I struggle to accept is us being a joke.

JPRouve

Scout
Anger and fruastration would be relative do you not think?
You would be less angry if your club did not have funds to compete. Its quite different when they do but mess up due to sheer incompetence don’t you think?
No because money helps but it's not actually a guarantee of success even when you take the right decisions, in sport there is a fair bit of luck because you rely on predicting the future, the future development or worth of players. And to support that idea you just have to look at how expensive transfers or players on expensive contracts pan-out, it's not pretty and the list mainly includes clubs that we deem better managed than us or clubs that looked that way until they don't. One thing that is difficult to do is to have a solid core of player and a head coach/manager that can lead that core to success, that applies to every single club out there and that's why every single club struggle at point or an other including the wealthiest clubs.

So no I will never understand anger in Sports outside of actual criminal actions by someone, Sport is way too linked to timing, circumstances and luck, otherwise there would be a club out there with a reliable formula but that club doesn't exist and never has.

avgp_1

I think we are moving onto Vitinha and/ Eriksen unless we get the signal from Barca that they are ready to reduce their price

Redcy

Well its interesting that Kalvin Phillips is being quoted at 50m and Ward Prowse at 75m... alternatives, I dread to think what they might want for Neves as an alternative. If we end up with Neves I will be disappointed mainly because I think teams will continue to walk through us with Neves playing FDJ role. He is far less mobile, in fact he looks sluggish whenever I see him but that might be unfair.

AndySmith1990

No because money helps but it's not actually a guarantee of success even when you take the right decisions, in sport there is a fair bit of luck because you rely on predicting the future, the future development or worth of players. And to support that idea you just have to look at how expensive transfers or players on expensive contracts pan-out, it's not pretty and the list mainly includes clubs that we deem better managed than us or clubs that looked that way until they don't. One thing that is difficult to do is to have a solid core of player and a head coach/manager that can lead that core to success, that applies to every single club out there and that's why every single club struggle at point or an other including the wealthiest clubs.

So no I will never understand anger in Sports outside of actual criminal actions by someone, Sport is way too linked to timing, circumstances and luck, otherwise there would be a club out there with a reliable formula but that club doesn't exist and never has.
The obvious thing you seem to be missing is that many people are extremely passionate about football and its a huge part of their life. You can't be so logical and reasonable when discussing something that invokes extreme emotional responses. Being unhappy or even angry at how the club has been run for the best part of a decade isn't unreasonable

JPRouve

Scout
I am old enough to have seen the rise and fall of great clubs some of whom have more CL trophies in their cabinet then our club can ever dream off. For example back in my day the team to beat were AC Milan. They were surreal in terms of management, style and players. I remember reading the Italian teletext frightened that some Italian club would go for our Cantona, our Ince and our Giggs.

Then Berlusconi couldn't afford them anymore and they saw a rapid decline. I can accept that. What I struggle to accept is that we're owned by leeches and that the little money (relatively speaking) is spent badly by idiots. I can accept United not being among the top 5 clubs in the world. What I struggle to accept is us being a joke.
This is a typical example of absense of perspective. AC Milan best success is short-lived(around a decade) and it's based on spending the equivalent of your entire revenue in the transfer market almost every year, the same applies to Inter in the 90s who weren't all that successful and neither sustained success even when Moratti and Berlusconi were willing to spend.

What you are using a reference is an example of unsustained success.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Nobody is looking for constant negatives. All I am saying is I don't blame people who happen to get a bit pessimistic at this stage having witnessed similar patterns for the last NINE years.
Absolutely and in many circumstances they are correct. I still think it’s healthy though to try and look for positives when you can take them. And perhaps more importantly, when there are changes (as Utd are trying now) give them an actual chance to materialise. This is a massively high pressure environment as it is, and I do think Utd fans owe it to the club to try and offer their support and positivity when trying to enact change.

As other posters said to the original post, if you only ever post negative comments then what’s the point. Abit more balance and perspective is needed perhaps?

JPRouve

Scout
The obvious thing you seem to be missing is that many people are extremely passionate about football and its a huge part of their life. You can't be so logical and reasonable when discussing something that invokes extreme emotional responses. Being unhappy or even angry at how the club has been run for the best part of a decade isn't unreasonable
I'm not missing it that's the point people are being irrational which isn't a good thing. No one should or is feeling extreme emotions all the time, if they do they need to fix it because it's not normal.

Godfather

I'm not missing it that's the point people are being irrational which isn't a good thing. No one should or is feeling extreme emotions all the time, if they do they need to fix it because it's not normal.
I don't think it's extreme to point out this club has been a shambles the past decade in all honesty. And so far this transfer window has also been. But still early doors maybe we will suddenly get these 3-4 signings in before pre season starts.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Control what you can control. Don't be concerned about things you have no control over.

What can you do about how badly the club has been run? Incessantly complain and whine? How does that help the club be run better? What people are asking is basically out of ignorance or the impossible unless you literally want to take over the club?

My mum once told me that the key to life is to forget the crap things in life, you let it go easily. But hang on to the good things or times and remember them well.

devilish

This is a typical example of absense of perspective. AC Milan best success is short-lived(around a decade) and it's based on spending the equivalent of your entire revenue in the transfer market almost every year, the same applies to Inter in the 90s who weren't all that successful and neither sustained success even when Moratti and Berlusconi were willing to spend.

What you are using a reference is an example of unsustained success.
It lasted around 2 decades with 2 CLs won in 2002-2003 and 2006-2007. Its true that it was built around spending silly but its also true that AC Milan produced more quality youth talent then we did under SAF. I am referring to absolute beasts such as Maldini, Baresi, Tassotti but also the likes of Albertini, Evani and Toldo not to forget Darmian and Taibi.

But that's not the point. Most fans can understand a reasoned decline such as a serious reduction of funds due to the owners not affording the club anymore. What people can't accept is incompetence and paying someone elses debt.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't think it's extreme to point out this club has been a shambles the past decade in all honesty. And so far this transfer window has also been. But still early doors maybe we will suddenly get these 3-4 signings in before pre season starts.
The poster tried to justify extremes emotions. As I said we can discuss how the club has messed up in certain situations but there is no reason for anger and irrationality, there is no reason to moan about everything possible and then try to justify it. As far as I can see you are perfectly able to be rational as are most people.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
What people can't accept is incompetence and paying someone elses debt.
Incompetence I get -- wasteful £1.2B pissed away. But the debt? It will be lumped on to the next person who wants to buy the club.

It's not like the Glazers have been chintzy about spending money -- it's how badly it was spent under Woodward. That's my main issue.

devilish

Incompetence I get -- wasteful £1.2B pissed away. But the debt? It will be lumped on to the next person who wants to buy the club.

It's not like the Glazers have been chintzy about spending money -- it's how badly it was spent under Woodward. That's my main issue.
I think that saddling a club with tons of debts while still taking dividends is horrible especially when the club is not in a good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.