Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
You all heard what Gary Neville's said about our transfer window....?

Bob Rivers

Supports
Chelsea
Worth noting the only reason United have pursued De Jong for so long is because they have absolutely been encouraged to do so. Doesn’t guarantee anything (Fabregas 2013) - but does explain their persistence #mufc
Encouraged by whom, the club or the player? Because I think that's a very important point.

jamesjimmybyrondean

De Jong isn't going to be difference between dropping or not dropping points against Liverpool. That kind of senseless points need to stop.
It's possible though. We've seen it with Pogba or Bruno how they come in and change the game. There's even a narrative that Bruno kept Ole in the job

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Depends on if the Chelsea interest was to materialise into a bid. They might see it as the only way to secure the player and just offer to pay it all asap.
I imagine it will be part of the plan, probably the absolute last resort but my guess is United have planned for this outcome
Not really, the notion of panicking means that you are not thinking, that your behavior wasn't premedited which in this context is likely wrong. If you are a remotely competent business manager, you will have different strategies based on context, in our case as long as you have time and little competition you can have for strategy to find an agreement with Barcelona and let them fix their issue with the player while also having a contingency plan in case of time limits or increased competition. Moving to a different strategy is not necessarily or even likely a panic move but a premeditated one.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
:lol: Honestly. Even if it was 'the worst transfer embarrassment in living history' (which i doubt it will be by the way) so what?
Exactly. Better to try and fail. It's like dating.

JPRouve

Scout
It's possible though. We've seen it with Pogba or Bruno how they come in and change the game. There's even a narrative that Bruno kept Ole in the job
We have also seen the both of them be feckless against Liverpool and pretty much anyone. You don't waste 17m for something that is possible when you really don't have to.

lennardinio

I've been through a divorce, and if it's taught me anything (other than not trusting women :lol:) it's that this won't get sorted until the very last minute.

JPRouve

Scout
Not only dating, like life itself dude. Stand up. Dust one's self off. We go again innit?
I learned that a bit too late but people put way to much worth on misplaced pride.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Who says we are? You’re making little sense I’m afraid
You’re just being deliberately obtuse. My point is that if we are going to offer to pay his deferred wages, only after interest from Chelsea, then this is something that could have happened weeks ago before risking another club stealing a player that is so integral to the new setup. I’m not saying we are doing that, I’m just going by the reports suggesting we are.

TheReligion

Abusive
You’re just being deliberately obtuse. My point is that if we are going to offer to pay his deferred wages, only after interest from Chelsea, then this is something that could have happened weeks ago before risking another club stealing a player that is so integral to the new setup. I’m not saying we are doing that, I’m just going by the reports suggesting we are.
I’m not but it’s quite obvious you don’t really understand how negotiating a complicated deal goes.

Of course you can just go all in immediately but then you leave yourself nowhere else to go. Why pay the wage early on when there were discussions to be had between the club, player and agent to try and resolve it? Anyone with any sense would say okay, let us know how you get on.

If they don’t get things resolved then you potentially go back and offer to bridge the gap or pay it depending on your strategy.

Time is another factor that impacts decisions from all parties.

I don’t understand what your issue is.

largelyworried

Because no player guarantee you to beat a team in a particular game. We are talking about 17m for one game of De Jong.
Nothing can guarantee a win in football, that's a strawman. Better players increase your chances of winning and so replacing McTominay with a better player makes the win more likely. So De Jong could certainly be the difference.

As for whether £17m is worth it for a few extra weeks, that's a different question and probably only one we can answer at the end of the season anyway.

Marcus

Isn't Chelsea in danger of breaching FFP with all their signings? Does the signing of Cruella (sp) rule them out of the race?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Which was the entire point. And why the only scenario that is totally sensible is if not paying the 17m means no De Jong at all.
Well it could if you opened the door to others getting involved by delaying. That is also not me saying pay up right away, but you also need to have a time limit and have alternative routes.

JPRouve

Scout
Nothing can guarantee a win in football, that's a strawman. Better players increase your chances of winning and so replacing McTominay with a better player makes the win more likely. So De Jong could certainly be the difference.

As for whether £17m is worth it for a few extra weeks, that's a different question and probably only one we can answer at the end of the season anyway.
That's not a strawman, the bolded part was the actual question, it wasn't a different question. You decided to enter a conversation you had no clue about.

JPRouve

Scout
Well it could if you opened the door to others getting involved by delaying. That is also not me saying pay up right away, but you also need to have a time limit and have alternative routes.
That's exactly what you are saying, you are suggesting to pay up right away otherwise your first sentence has no reality.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
That's exactly what you are saying, you are suggesting to pay up right away otherwise your first sentence has no reality.
No I said pay up so we had him AND OTHERS before the start of the season. Negotiations started in May, having him mid July is not paying up right away, you interpreted what I said to be something else.
I also caveated my post with the fact that we apparently explored the option and it was not feasible due to tax implications.

Also a thing to note is that if we ultimately do not sign him, we have significant time pressure to pursue an alternative, which is why you need to work to a deadline

Chief123

You all heard what Gary Neville's said about our transfer window....?
Something along the lines of

“Jamie, it’s been absolutely shocking like you’d never believe. There needs to be a reset of the club. From top to bottom, it’s a mess, a complete mess”

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Something along the lines of

“Jamie, it’s been absolutely shocking like you’d never believe. There needs to be a reset of the club. From top to bottom, it’s a mess, a complete mess”
Wouldn't surprise me if he did say something like that. He likes saying stuff to keep himself relevent.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
How funny would it be if someone just decided to outpip them? Even better if Chelsea did so, i know it'd never happen, but it would be hilarious.

They must be very confident that de Jong and a few of their outcasts will be gone before the end of the window, though it still shocks me how irresponsible they're being, especially knowing they need €150m to register their players. It's just getting incredibly daft

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Of course you can :lol:

Clubs retract bids often. If not, you could offer the player 500 quid a week.

Not that I’m saying Chelsea are doing that, but they have bid on Kounde, Raphinha, there’s talk of a bid for FDJ, but none of those bid mean anything if they don’t complete.
not sure there was much interest in Raphina. he made it quite clear from day one where he wanted to go

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
How funny would it be if someone just decided to outpip them? Even better if Chelsea did so, i know it'd never happen, but it would be hilarious.

They must be very confident that de Jong and a few of their outcasts will be gone before the end of the window, though it still shocks me how irresponsible they're being, especially knowing they need €150m to register their players. It's just getting incredibly daft
they will find some loophole around the finances. they've already sold pat o the tv studio and are trying to get pre-payment for CL deal...

Status
Not open for further replies.