• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Played in 3 different positions at Ajax under ten Hag,

He filled the same role in the Ten Hag system in posession as a CB and as a DM, so not really versatility in that regard.
Defensive duty was different as a CB though and he did fulfil that adequately, though with De Ligt as a one man wall next to him, in the Eredivisie, that was maybe more realistic than anywhere else.
Him as a regular old CM is disappointing and the main reason he's not blossomed at Barca and why he'd be leaving there at all

Bestie07

As much as I want de Jong here, I hope that we have an end date in our mind for this pursuit.

We are Manchester United, granted not in a very good place right now, but still one of the most decorated clubs in Europe with one of the biggest fanbase all over the world. There should be a limit to how long we wait before a player makes up his mind.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Our top 5 earners currently are…..

Ronaldo is on £510k a week gross.
DDG is on £375k a week gross
Sancho is on £350k a week gross.
Varane is on £340k a week gross.
Martial is on £250k a week gross.
United really do shell out ridiculous wages - and do it for no good reason. All of those players earn significantly more than Harry Kane (the highest paid player at Spurs), yet he is far more of an asset on the playing field.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
A lot of this he wants to go to psg etc feels to me like Barca using journalists to try and get a bidding war going, as it looks like its just us in the race so far and they are desperate to get as much as they can for him. If he doesn't want to come then we will have moved on to other targets already. There has been no new news for weeks and journalists are just recycling everything from then. Wish everyone would stop getting their knickers in a twist over these tweets and using it to either be proof of how inept we are or how we should move on. We'll find out soon enough. If we do sign him then I doubt he's been dragged here in chains. I doubt Ten Hag would want someone who doesn't want to be there either.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Good. But I was more thinking who would do his job when hes injured
That's like saying who would do Messi's job in false 9 if he's injured in Barcelona 10/11. If you lose a world class player due to injuries, of course your team will suffer. That doesn't just apply to us.

But are we are in the position where we should ask squad depth like Man City or even Liverpool now? Although, I must say I wanted Kamara and De Jong but Kamara gone to Aston Villa now.

However, I can tell you that ETH doesn't play the same system at Ajax every seasons. His 18/19 with de Jong and 21/22 without de Jong are different system. That might give you some hints.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He filled the same role in the Ten Hag system in posession as a CB and as a DM, so not really versatility in that regard.
Defensive duty was different as a CB though and he did fulfil that adequately, though with De Ligt as a one man wall next to him, in the Eredivisie, that was maybe more realistic than anywhere else.
Him as a regular old CM is disappointing and the main reason he's not blossomed at Barca and why he'd be leaving there at all
I think it's considered versatile because this allows ten Hag to change some of his formation if there are injuries.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
That's like saying who would do Messi's job in false 9 if he's injured in Barcelona 10/11. If you lose a world class player due to injuries, of course your team will suffer. That doesn't just apply to us.

But are we are in the position where we should ask squad depth like Man City or even Liverpool now? Although, I must say I wanted Kamara and De Jong but Kamara gone to Aston Villa now.

However, I can tell you that ETH doesn't play the same system at Ajax every seasons. His 18/19 with de Jong and 21/22 without de Jong are different system. That might give you some hints.
Barca had plenty of creative players so its not

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Barca had plenty of creative players so its not
They were already in the stage of winning La Liga and UCL, while we are still in the stage of trying to find the spine of the squad and upgrade our XI not the squad depth. I like your high expectation, but we have to be realistic.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
This has been rumbling on for a while. And in my opinion is only doing so for one of two reasons (a) Frankie has said no, so the club continues to use the speculation to leverage its negotiations for other players, or (b) the club has received enough encouragement from the player to continue pursuing a deal.

There’s no way the club are still trying to sign him if he’s not given any encouragement to the idea of joining.

Cassidy

They were already in the stage of winning La Liga and UCL, while we are still in the stage of trying to find the spine of the squad and upgrade our XI not the squad depth. I like your high expectation, but we have to be realistic.
You’re not quite following the point clearly. Others have already even answered my initial point and ETH will find/add other players to progress the ball (probably why he wants Timber) because he himself knows you cant have a system that relies on a single player being fit

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You’re not quite following the point clearly. Others have already even answered my initial point and ETH will find/add other players to progress the ball (probably why he wants Timber) because he himself knows you cant have a system that relies on a single player being fit
I don't think you notice this but I already told you and gave you hints that ETH doesn't play the same system at Ajax every seasons. His 18/19 with de Jong and 21/22 without de Jong are different system.

Cassidy

I don't think you notice this but I already told you and gave you hints that ETH doesn't play the same system at Ajax every seasons. His 18/19 with de Jong and 21/22 without de Jong are different system.
No shit sherlock. But both systems rely on progressors of the ball into midfield and beyond. The fundamentuals of how he plays isn’t that different between the two sides, you still need the personel to do it. And he is buying DeJong to do that here, so he also needs to ensure we have players who can do it when hes not.
Or to make it more obvious to you, non of the current midfield can do it (so we need more than DeJong there) and the fullbacks we currently have can’t either ( maybe Shaw can) so we need some upgrades there

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No shit sherlock. But both systems rely on progressors of the ball into midfield and beyond. And he is buying DeJong to do that here, so he also needs to ensure we have players who can do it when hes not.
Or to make it more obvious to you, non of the current midfield can do it (so we need more than DeJong there) and the fullbacks we currently have can’t either ( maybe Shaw can) so we need some upgrades there
My bad this is my misunderstanding of your question and your initial knowledge/understanding of ten Hag system because before you were being told by other posters, I always thought you already knew that ten Hag always expect his back four to be good at progressive ball and I thought your question is more who's going to replace de Jong in midfield.

Regardless with or without de Jong, he always expect his back four to be good at progressive ball and that's why I gave you hints of his 21/22 system is different to his 18/19 system because in 21/22 system Alvarez (his no 6) is not really that good as progressive passer in comparison to Ajax's defenders and de Jong (check below)

This is another reason why I said Dalot might be less problem than Telles and Dalot could fit ETH system as imo Dalot has capability to play progressive ball while I have doubt in Telles. And the same reason why I always want United to focus on CB first before right back.

GoldanoGraham

This has been rumbling on for a while. And in my opinion is only doing so for one of two reasons (a) Frankie has said no, so the club continues to use the speculation to leverage its negotiations for other players, or (b) the club has received enough encouragement from the player to continue pursuing a deal.

There’s no way the club are still trying to sign him if he’s not given any encouragement to the idea of joining.
Totally agree - in the past things would have been different but now there wouldn’t be any further discussions if FDG had told ETH that he is definitely not interested.

Sounds like Barca are just pawning him around the media to seeif they can get more for him.

I hope that we are clear in what we are doing here and are either using this as a smokescreen or there is actual mileage in this transfer.

I think that it is interesting that nothing has been said from Utd at all on any of the players speculation so far…..

Cassidy

My bad this is my misunderstanding of your question and your initial knowledge/understanding of ten Hag system because before you were being told by other posters, I always thought you already knew that ten Hag always expect his back four to be good at progressive ball and I thought your question is more who's going to replace de Jong in midfield.

Regardless with or without de Jong, he always expect his back four to be good at progressive ball and that's why I gave you hints of his 21/22 system is different to his 18/19 system because in 21/22 system Alvarez (his no 6) is not really that good as progressive passer in comparison to Ajax's defenders and de Jong (check below)

This is another reason why I said Dalot might be less problem than Telles and Dalot could fit ETH system as imo Dalot has capability to play progressive ball while I have doubt in Telles. And the same reason why I always want United to focus on CB first before right back.

Less to do with the system and more to do with what we have in the squad right now. Our defence cant handle a press to save their lives, probably the only 2 who can are Shaw and Dalot and Dalot unfortunately cant defend to save his life. Next the midfield well, Im sure you already know. Anyway moving swiftly on

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Less to do with the system and more to do with what we have in the squad right now. Our defence cant handle a press to save their lives, probably the only 2 who can are Shaw and Dalot and Dalot unfortunately cant defend to save his life. Next the midfield well, Im sure you already know. Anyway moving swiftly on
I always thought before you asked the initial question, you already knew why we need or ETH wants a new CB. Either way, I always consider 2 midfields and a CB as three priority for this summer before any other positions because as far what I know from looking at his team at Ajax, the first principle of ten Hag system is he wants to have ball playing defense that can play progressive ball. If your team can control the game then it will be less defensive work for Dalot, thus, we can play more to his strength.

Zetrio2002

Can't wait for FDJ to be here. He's the perfect player to come in now that so many players have left. What an incredibly skilful player!

Drifter

American
Frenkie de Jong doesnt want to leave Barcelona, but if he does, he prefers to go to a top club like PSG, Bayern Munich or Man City instead of Man United.

Cassidy

I always thought before you asked the initial question, you already knew why we need or ETH wants a new CB. Either way, I always consider 2 midfields and a CB as three priority for this summer before any other positions because as far what I know from looking at his team at Ajax, the first principle of ten Hag system is he wants to have ball playing defense that can play progressive ball. If your team can control the game then it will be less defensive work for Dalot, thus, we can play more to his strength.
Wanting and getting are 2 different things

TsuWave

Uh oh

this has been reported multiple times, I feel like these journalists take please in dragging United’s name through the mud. I don’t necessarily blame them nor do I resent De Jong for it, but it’s still annoying. Ah well, it’s what happens when you become a joke, just gotta take the lumps, I guess.

Keyser

this has been reported multiple times, I feel like these journalists take please in dragging United’s name through the mud. I don’t necessarily blame them nor do I resent De Jong for it, but it’s still annoying. Ah well, it’s what happens when you become a joke, just gotta take the lumps, I guess.
Nothing to do with dragging through the mud or jokes, just clicks

Post something negative watch the muppets share and comment = ££

What amazes me more is how many people on here put any stock in these tweets

Walters_19_MuFc

United really do shell out ridiculous wages - and do it for no good reason. All of those players earn significantly more than Harry Kane (the highest paid player at Spurs), yet he is far more of an asset on the playing field.
Hence why Harry wanted to leave and earn some proper money elswehere. Well, that and because Spurs win feck all.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's a month old tweet being regurgitated by the same guy. And even if it's true how does it matter? If none of City, PSG or Bayern want him and Barca need to sell him, then there's not much he can do. I too want to live on my own island with people making money for me, but sometimes we have to make the best of the available realistic options.

At this point, his 2 realistic options seem to be either join Utd or do an Umtiti and stay at Barca when they clearly no longer want him.

Scottynaldinho

It was a "good" game from him. Nothing extraordinary as I thought reading the comments here. Wasn't put under any pressure by a rather off Belgium side.

Status
Not open for further replies.