FresnoBob...Martin Henry...Beckham007 and other religious nutcases...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Henry

Originally posted by Neil Thomson:
<strong>
I know what you mean, but your last statement was quite funny - perhaps you meant "I don't believe it's possible to be a True Christian and not be civilised" </strong><hr></blockquote>

Well yes, because I believe that many non christian people at least live their lives with compassion and a sense of "civility"...

I also know that there are several people who call themselves Christians but by their very actions prove that they have little or no regard for the teachings of Christ...

And the accumulation of more and more wealth is the only goal in their lives...

It's OK to be rich but the people who would trample over others to achieve their wealth are DEFINITELY not Christian...

Neil Thomson

Originally posted by Martin Henry:
<strong>

Well yes, because I believe that many non christian people at least live their lives with compassion and a sense of "civility"...

I also know that there are several people who call themselves Christians but by their very actions prove that they have little or no regard for the teachings of Christ...

And the accumulation of more and more wealth is the only goal in their lives...

It's OK to be rich but the people who would trample over others to achieve their wealth are DEFINITELY not Christian...</strong><hr></blockquote>
I'd say most christians are of that sort, certainly in this country 95% of Christians aren't "practicing" Christians, but just have a vague belief in God and that there might be an afterlife. Mother Teresa's are few and far between. The comparison I'm making is with the Buddhist schools, and the various Yogic paths, which have clearly defined practices and goals, and a great number of achieved Boddhisattvas and Yogis.

Roger

Originally posted by FresnoBob:
<strong>

I lost you after the double negative. Given that the words Moses brought down from Mt. Sinai were "Thou shalt not commit murder;" or a reasonable Hebraic facsimile thereof, the question would be, "What does that mean?"

I was merely pointing out that the old quote I learned many years ago--"Thou shalt not kill," was, apparently, an overstatement or overbroad translation of the original.

You seem to be saying that we craven Christians (actually the Semetic tribesmen who guarded these words since 1445 B.C.) took the word "murder" and came up with a definition to circumvent God's will. Personally, I figure the legal definition is the proper definition, as I will not dispute the learned scholars who developed either the Talmud or the Christian schools of thought on the contents of Exodus.

Of course, I realize that you, unlike them, obviously understood what God really meant. :rolleyes: I'm sure that had you been around to educate the Pharisees, Sadducees, the Sanhedrin, St. Jerome, Martin Luther, and the entire translation team for the King James version, all these misunderstandings would have been avoided and we could all share your personal knowledge of what the Almighty actually intended.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well who am I to agrue against the handed down words of some obscure tribe from 3400 years ago.

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.