Friendly v Newcastle Town

Decotron

FFS would love to watch a reserve match tonight. Feels like years since I got to watch the them properly.

Bound to be alot interest in the next proper reserve match especially if Tosic gets a game.

PS18

Anyone got any ideas how it went?

Can't find anything on Newcastle Town's website apart from a little bit they put up on Saturday:

Man Utd are back in town. Following their visit to Stoke City on Boxing Day Manchester United Res are in town to play Newcastle Town on Monday 12th January KO 7.30pm. This will be the fourth time that they have visited the Lyme Valley and in the past players such as John O'Shea, Darren Fletcher, Daniel Wellbeck and Ryan Shawcross have played in the games.

PS18

I've heard from elsewhere (a commenter on my blog) that we won 7-1.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Brady treble tumbles Town!

Manchester United sent the u-18 Academy side to face Newcastle Town in a hastily arranged friendly tonight.

The Reds fielded a normal Academy side with the starting line up as follows.

1. Devlin
2. Tunnicliffe
3. Dudgeon
4. Strickland
5. Wooton
6. Norwood
7. Stewart (11) '68
8. James
9. Macheda
10. Petrucci
11. Brady

Subs:

Ajose (7) '45
Johnstone (1) '54
Thorpe (5) '54

Scorers: Brady '13, '64, '67, Dudgeon '28, Macheda '39, Stewart '83, '85

With a 7.30 kick-off time, United started brightly and soon took the lead when Robbie Brady scored in the 13th minute. Fifteen minutes later, Joe Dudgeon broke forward and scored a rare goal to give United a two goal cushion. Then on 39 minutes, Kiko Macheda made it three and United were well on top as the whistle blew for half-time.

Half-time: Newcastle Town 0 Manchester United Youth 3

Nicky Ajose came on for Cameron Stewart at half time and nine minutes after the break, Paul McGuinness took the opportunity of giving a couple of the u-16 lads a run out. Sam Johnstone came on to replace Conor Devlin while Tom Thorpe took the place of Scott Wootton. On 64 minutes Brady got his second of the evening and three minutes later added his third to make it 0-5 to the young Reds.

Robbie has shown glimpses of the talent that led United to bring him to England but he has struggled with injury and not always been a regular in the side. So it was good to see him show the type of form that regular Youth Team observers knew he was capable of.

With his hat-trick in the bag, Brady was replaced with Cameron Stewart re-entering the game. Newcastle Town then pulled a goal back to make the score 1-5, but it proved to be their only consolation. On 83 minutes Stewart scored United's sixth, and then five minutes from time added his second of the night and United ran out comfortable winners.

Full-time: Newcastle Town 1 Manchester United Youth 7

With Academy action starting on Saturday with the visit of West Bromwich Albion, it was just the tonic needed after the winter break.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Nice.. Thanks for that.. I seriously had no clue that players were actually allowed to re-enter games.. Even if its a youth friendly match...

jb8521

Nice to see Brady get a few goals. Good little player.
Yeah having seen him play a bit for Saint Kevins in Ireland I'm not surprised hes started scoring goals he scored a lot for Kevins, if he can stay fit I think he has a chance at the club. He was one of the highest rated players ever leaving Ireland this time last year.