Fw: Premier League Fantasy Draft - 1/4 Final #3: Big-Red vs Solius

Which team do you think would win the Premier League Fantasty Draft's 3rd QF?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Rood said:

The original Fantasy Draft returns - much respect to Erics_Collar who did all the hard work back in 2009 - full squads and first round results on show here:
https://www.redcafe.net/f7/redcafe-fantasy-draft-competition-round-one-243915/

When voting for the team you think would win the match, keep the following in mind from the original rules:
"When selecting a player, it is important to remember that you are only picking them on their Premiership/Premier League form, i.e. if you pick Shevchenko, you get his form at Chelsea only, not Kiev or Milan!

Take your pick for who will play Fort Boyard in the second SemiFinal:

Big-Red - BR Athletic .....vs..... Solius - FC Solius
Wu-Tang! Wu-Tang!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I would just like to point out that it is PHIL Neville in Solius' team - bit cheeky of him to omit that and try and pass him off as our Gary!

Anyway after 2 whitewashes in the first 2 matches, this one should give voters something to think about - quite evenly matched all over ...

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
I'm glad I'm biased in this one, looks tough-ish.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
Since this one is pretty even, you should be talking up your teams (or trashing your opponent!) to try and sway the vote

where is that mentalist Valentino when you need him?

4-4 at the moment ...
I'd rather see why people are voting for Solius and argue my case once I've seen my teams weakness. Wouldn't want to reveal and of my own fears first.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I'd rather see why people are voting for Solius and argue my case once I've seen my teams weakness. Wouldn't want to reveal and of my own fears first.
well Solius has packed his team with United past and present which is always a vote winner - that left side of Irwin and Giggs is about as strong as you can get. Question mark over the CBs though, both good when fit but famous sicknotes.

for you that attacking 3 of Berkamp, Torres and Lampard really stands out with some good balance from Macherano as well - main weaknesses are Senderos and Bentley

anyway still dead even at 8-8

and I still havent decide which team to go for

Makki

QUITTER
freguson y u rest the ginger prawn hes most import
I'll go with Big Red, but it took me quite a while to make my mind up. The reason I voted Big Red is because I think that the key to beating his team is pace in behind Hyypiä, Senderos and Heinze, and with Giggs being the only one of the front 6 to have any real pace I can see Big Reds team getting away with this. I think just swapping the two top forwards could have swayed my decision in the other direction.

Tough one.

Aint gota Kalou

Gone for Solius, simply because I think the weaknesses in his team are much less obvious.

Big-Reds left hand side is a bit shite. The diamond never really works in reality unless you have hardworking side midfielders with fullbacks who can overlap. Barry fits the role of the hardworking midfielder but Heinze is too rubbish attacking wise to be a good overlapping fullback.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
This is dead even for me.. Here is how I am going to decide....

Each one of you two tell me in one sentence why I should vote for him... My decision will be wholly based on the answer to this question.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Giggs and Irwin down the left side is arguably one of the best partnerships in English football history if not THE best, and they are attacking Mario Melchiot.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I've gone for Solius because Big-Red's team lacks a single, natural wide player, while the Giggs/Ferdinand combination is likely to be underestimated.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Giggs and Irwin down the left side is arguably one of the best partnerships in English football history if not THE best, and they are attacking Mario Melchiot.
Very good reason.. Let's see what Big Red has to say...

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
Lampard, Bergkamp and Torrestogether has enough creativity to make up for my lack of natural width, allows the wide men to double up on the flanks with the full backs.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I'm going to vote for the manager who does a better job of slagging off the other team

FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT !

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Lampard, Bergkamp and Torrestogether has enough creativity to make up for my lack of natural width, allows the wide men to double up on the flanks with the full backs.
In this case I'm gonna go with Solius for the following reason...

Solius' team is more attack-minded. Big-Red's team is more like: "We'll wait for you to come and we'll commit more people to be able to defend, and then we'll try to hit you on the counter with the quality that we have upfront".

The problem with this logic, even though the quality in Lampard/Bergkamp/Torres is pretty obvious, counter-attacking is not one of their known strength points. (3 players can't create much of an attacking threat on their own unless through counters)

And even though Big-Red's plan could work, because his team still has a lot of quality in it, I always prefer an attack-minded team, with an attack-minded manager.. Personally I would have loved to hear Big-Red say for example: I'll control the middle with my diamond of Mascherano/Bentley/Barry/Lampard who will make sure that Bergkamp and Torres will score more than the goals that Irwin and Giggs will create.

Well played both. Great game.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
I'm going to vote for the manager who does a better job of slagging off the other team

FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT !
Solius has Berbatov, and we all know how shit he is, right?

Flamini played for Arsenal, so he's a bit of a puff. Seaman....just say his name out loud, 'nuff said.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
Couldnt tell ya RK, I'm just a caretaker manager.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Solius has Berbatov, and we all know how shit he is, right?
WRONG :mad:
I think you just lost my vote, plus that was a pretty poor effort at finding weaknesses in Solius' team anyway - try again!

I will await Solius' trash talking attempts before judging

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He has Mario Melchiot, and Berbatov is fecking boss.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I only voted for Solius because BR has Mascherano, Heinze and Torres in his team.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
WRONG :mad:
I think you just lost my vote, plus that was a pretty poor effort at finding weaknesses in Solius' team anyway - try again!

I will await Solius' trash talking attempts before judging
I was appealing to "them" types.

However Bergkamp > Berbatov, over whole Premier League career.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
However Bergkamp > Berbatov, over whole Premier League career.
cant argue with that - but on the basis that ...

Reina = Seaman
Melchiot < P Nev
Hyypia > Brown (only due to injuries though)
Senderos < Laursen
Heinze < Irwin
Macherano > Flamini
Barry < Giggs
Lampard > Arteta
Bentley < Solano
Berkamp > Berbatov
Torres > Ferdinand

... I still cant seperate the teams !

15-15 and all to play for

Stretch

oooh this one is tight.

GK - BR for me, never rated Seaman that highly
D - Solius for sure, come on, Melchiot
M - BR for me even though Solius has Mr Premier League he also has Flamini and Solano
F - BR again, the Dutch master and Torres together would be devestating

However, the game's not just won on that but combinations and the Irwin + Giggs Combo vs Bentley + Melchiot is just no match. And with Giggs and Irwin delivery from that side into Ferdinand, I can see them knicking it.

Solius it is for better 'team' balance if I can put it that way.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Solius

His team are more balanced and I think giggs roasted melchiot time and time again

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Mascherano is going to snap Giggs in two....
I dont like that image so I have finally decided to vote Solius!

I really couldnt split the teams so in the end his United contingent made the difference for me

also I have no idea what we are going to do if it ends a draw :confused:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Going into the closing stage of the match and Big Red Athletic hold a slender 18-17 lead

still all to play for ...

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Big-Red still maintaining his slight lead going into injury time ...

if you havent voted yet then do it now !!

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
Well played, in the end everything going down the left tired out Giggsy and Irwin. Late winner.