Gaa 2010

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Happy New Year folks, hope you all had a great time & more importantly, are all in one piece!

The new GAA County season is creeping upon us again, with many Cups up for grabs within the GAA family. My own particular passion is football, so I'll get straight onto that.

There are four Provincial cups up for grabs each year which include Counties & Colleges competing. It certainly spices & freshens things up. The schedule began yesterday, so i'm a little late it would seem - but fortunately, due to Jack Frost (must be English) not liking our savage peasant sport, yesterdays match was cancelled - so i'm off the hook for now :)

I know relatively little about Hurling & the other sports within the GAA by comparison to the folk on here, so if you'd like to chip in with your views on all things GAA & upcoming fixtures for 2010 that would be great. Footballs my passion, so i'll stick to what i'm less useless at - talking shite about Gaelic Football :eek:

Here's the upcoming fixtures for Gaelic Fooball - Provincial Cups:

Ulster - Dr McKenna Cup

Group A

Monaghan - U.U.J [Inniskeen]. 09/01/2010 (17:00)

Armagh - Fermanagh [Athletic Grounds, Armagh]. 10/01/2010 (14:00)

Group B

Tyrone - Cavan [Healy Park, Omagh, Tyrone]. 09/01/2010 (19:00)

Donegal - St. Marys [MacCumhaill Park, Ballybofey]. 10/01/2010 (14:00)

Group C

Derry - Down [Celtic Park, Derry]. 10/01/2010 (14:00)

Antrim - Queens University [Casement Park, Belfast, Antrim]. 10/01/2010 (14:00)

Leinster - O'Byrne Cup

Kildare - U.C.D. [Newbridge]. 10/01/2010 (2.00pm)

Carlow - A.I.T. [Carlow]. 10/01/2010 (2.00pm)

Wicklow - Louth [Baltinglass]. 10/01/2010 (2.00pm)

Dublin - Wexford [Parnell Park]. 10/01/2010 (2.00pm)

Longford - Meath [Ballymahon]. 10/01/2010 (2.00pm)

Kilkenny - Offaly [Kilkenny]. 10/01/2010 (2.00pm)

Westmeath - D.C.U. [Mullingar]. 10/01/2010 (2.00pm)

Munster - McGrath Cup

Preliminary Round

Tipperary - UL [Sean Treacy Park, Tipperary Town]. 3/01/2010 (2.00pm) - Postponed & re-scheduled for Killmallock, Limerick 10/01/2010 (2.00pm)

Limerick - WIT [Gaelic Grounds, Limerick]. 5/01/2010 (7.30pm)

Kerry - IT Tralee [Austin Stack Park, Tralee]. 6/01/2010 (7.30pm)

Connaught - FBD Insurance League

Group A

Sligo I.T. - Ros Comáin [Ballinode, Sligo]. 10/01/2010 (2.00pm)

Maigh Eo - N.U.I.G [Garrymore, Mayo]. 10/01/2010 (2.00pm)

Group B

Gaillimh - Sligeach [Tuam, Galway]. 10/01/2010 (2.00pm)

Liatroim - G.M.I.T. [Cloone, Leitrim]. 10/01/2010 (2.00pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------

These Cup competitions are very useful at blooding young players & see how the shape up. Some do well - others may not be ready yet, but it gives the new season a fresher look about it, so I like these Cups especially in my own Province as the Dr McKenna Cup is extremely competitive & Tyrone have done quite well over the years!

Best of luck to all the folks on here that digs his / hers Gaelic Sports, whether it be Football (Gents & Ladies), Hurling, Camogie, Handball etc & all under-age levels also, may you find alot or atleast some enjoyment out of following your team. May it be a good year :cool:

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Come on Tyrone, your on your own!!

Are you living up in Tyrone and do you have any handle on the club scene up there!??

Would love to know if theres any muscle coming up through the ranks....

Crerand Legend

Great start to thread RHD very impressive. So what county is the newly promoted Irwinwastheking from then, Cork perhaps?

Dave89

Firstly, a rant (start as you mean to go on!). These new rules are, for the most part, a feckin joke!

Irwinwastheking

Great start to thread RHD very impressive. So what county is the newly promoted Irwinwastheking from then, Cork perhaps?
Na im actually from Tyrone!!

Firstly, a rant (start as you mean to go on!). These new rules are, for the most part, a feckin joke!
Your 100% right....The fecking mark. Are we trying to pussify the game or what. Next years rule change. Mandatory hugging the Cork goalies if they let in a soft goal!!

The only change they should make is to get rid of the square ball rule alltogether or else make it that no one but the keeper can be in the small box!!

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Come on Tyrone, your on your own!!

Are you living up in Tyrone and do you have any handle on the club scene up there!??

Would love to know if theres any muscle coming up through the ranks....
Alright man - welcome to the madness that is the brand-spanking new GAA thread & I hope you can add to it in some way, as we all have for the past couple of years :cool:

"Come on Tyrone, your on your own.." - I remember that song from the 1986 campaign when we got to our first All-Ireland Final against Kerry, but sadly got duffed out of it in the second half after a promising first-half. That was an excellent Kerry team we played but we also had an excellent team, we just lacked that experience & know-how of how to win something of that prestige & importance. Also, there was a fair few drinkers amongst the Tyrone lads - as there was within many County teams at that time, so that didnt aid our second-half fitness levels. Kerry were as professional as you could get - even back then playin an amateur game, so you gotta tip your brim to them!

Kerry are the masters, closely followed by Dublin (not so in recent years) in continuity of reaching an All-Ireland first & foremost & then giving it everything one last time. Thats Tyrone's agenda & its a good one to try to replicate!

I'm living in Dublin nearly 10 years now. First weekend in February will mark that occasion. Its been a rollercoaster with ups & downs, but thats no different to each & every one of us, you just gotta sit tight & build something as concrete as you can. Thats my aim now as it was 10 years ago, and i'm on the right track thank God!

I'm from Cookstown originally, moved away in 1993 to Lurgan Armagh - that was a fecking culture shock alright. Belfast rejects spring to mind about that place, but I learned alot about being streetwise & its served me well down here in Dublin - well I hope anyway :nervous:

My local club in Cookstwon is the Fr Rocks Gaa Club, the oldest in Tyrone & one of the oldest in the Country. I lost quite a bitta touch from the local scene, so I pour my energies into the County team. There's a fair few young lads from the 2008 Minor winning side that will be blooded this year & the one to look out for is Kyle Coney. He's gonna be a big player for us for the next 10 years or more, as is a young fella called Brian Dooher - watch this fella push on too :)

As for muscle - especially around the middle of the park, everyone's hoping Aidan Cassidy from Augher can really push on this year. He's a great fielder, has good size & with the introduction (as PJ's none too happy about) of the mark - this is an area Tyrone have been bogey at, although our ability at winning breaking ball around mid-field is excellent - this new rule change will benefit the good fielders in any side & is something that Tyrone need to address swiftly!

Last years "All-Ireland Championship 2009" thread was pretty good craic, pretty heated & covered alot of areas - even Aussie Rules, with the likes of Cescs Mullet, Ceks & Melbourne Red giving us the low-down on the highs & lows of his sport. Cesc's a Hawthornes fan if memory serves!

Also, it was good to get a perspective from an Aussie Rules fan on the Nixon Database & the poaching of young Gaelic footballers from our shores, and to gauge what we can expect in the long-term. What we envisage is a pro-longed engagement with young players in this Country - North & South by Nixon & his cronies acting as agent extraordinaire!

Personally speaking, I hate that bollox Nixon because, as acting as a AFL agent his motives are hightened by the fee's he's paid plus the bonus payments if players from this Country gain a professional contract beyond their elementary 2 year evaluation. This Country - with no doubt in my mind, can supply the AFL with top-quality Aussie Rules players if their potential - as Aussie Rules players, is noticed early on, by which I mean pre-18 to 20 years old, so in the grand scheme of things - many of the future greats of our game will be lost to Australian Rules!

Its a personal & culture choice for these lads going out to Oz & I wish them the best of luck. Who can blame them for wanting to play sport professionally & of course the climate is excellent. The problems these lads will encounter are most likely to be homesickness & the more than slightly cocky Aussie male. Aussie lads on here excluded :D

Many of our young players will go to Oz in search of a new life & career but many will realise after a short period of time that:

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
PJ ranting SHOCKER - well, I never :eek: :D

The Mark has been on the cards for a while PJ, it was inevitable when you think about. Next up will be the hand-pass, with a limited amount of hand-passes before the ball is kicked!

The tradionalists want an end to the fitness advantage / running game & the persuit of the old game, whereas you caught the ball in mid-field or half-back line & humped it to the half-forward or full-forward line - apparantly the "beautiful / traditional game" that is lost on the new Gaelic World Order! :rolleyes::wenger::boring::yawn:

These rules are deemed experimental, and I think its something that the GAA are quite good at. They've a "lets try it & see" attitude & if it doesnt work out then they will scrap it. I feel the mark is here to stay tho, well for the immediate short term anyway. As for the squareball change of rule - what was wrong with the old rule in the first place?!

What will happen is that a select few Counties will utilise the rules to a dominant factor. The "Swarm" tactic that Armagh & particuarly Tyrone employed in their game, was within the rules but yet had folk crying foul - when all the players were doing was blocking a path for the opposition player in possession of the ball to release it to his own player - thus rendering possession, either through failure to release the ball - overplaying or interception of ball through having all avenues blocked. Tyrone executed this perfectly, and while some felt this was ugly - it sure was exciting to watch these lads playin at 100mph in gangs.

Now we predominantly operate a 3-man outfit - when we have the ball & when a opposition player has the ball. Looking forward to seeing what Mickey has up his sleave this year after last years disappointment!

I only hope with the introduction of the Mark - however experimental it may be at this time, that it only operates on one element of our game - the kick-out towards the middle. We dont need the mark being implemented in other areas of the field because it will only slow our game down & most ironically - we'll be taking something from the Aussie game, a game that has the potential to reduce the future stars of Gaelic Football - when it was our game being played on Cricket Pavillions in Australia by Irish Immigrants over a hundred years ago, that Aussie Rules was conjured up!

Irwinwastheking

Correct me if im wrong, but isnt the new mark rule anytime the ball is kicked and caught between the two 45's??

Im a Strabane man myself. Living down in sligo for the past 10 years and had to go through the pain of working in a sligo pub when they beat us in the championship 2002. That was a painful moment!!

We had a bit of a newbie football championship thread last year which was mainly me and i think marcus arelios from wexford mostly agreeing on things. Did you get many from around the country posting on the thread or was it the same few Gaa nuts all the time??

And your right about Kyle. From what i saw of him as a minor he looks the real deal. If he learns that on the senior panel he doesn't have to shoot himself everytime he's in the oposition half he'll be a top man. Not to sure about the other 2 lads. Havn't seen enough to judge yet. But one of the main problems that i saw in Tyrone the last few years was that all of the players brought through seemed to be more Gooch than Galvin. That was why i was asking about the muscle. A bit of power around the middle is what we need, especially given the fact that Super Dooher surely cant go on for ever!!!

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Correct me if im wrong, but isnt the new mark rule anytime the ball is kicked and caught between the two 45's??

Im a Strabane man myself. Living down in sligo for the past 10 years and had to go through the pain of working in a sligo pub when they beat us in the championship 2002. That was a painful moment!!

We had a bit of a newbie football championship thread last year which was mainly me and i think marcus arelios from wexford mostly agreeing on things. Did you get many from around the country posting on the thread or was it the same few Gaa nuts all the time??

And your right about Kyle. From what i saw of him as a minor he looks the real deal. If he learns that on the senior panel he doesn't have to shoot himself everytime he's in the oposition half he'll be a top man. Not to sure about the other 2 lads. Havn't seen enough to judge yet. But one of the main problems that i saw in Tyrone the last few years was that all of the players brought through seemed to be more Gooch than Galvin. That was why i was asking about the muscle. A bit of power around the middle is what we need, especially given the fact that Super Dooher surely cant go on for ever!!!
Alright man, nah the "Mark" is only given from Kick-outs. I've tried to find the agreed experimental rule changes for the coming Provincial Cups & NFL (not Gridiron :)). The title "Proposals" must indicate that this is the agreed experimental rule changes for said competitions. Here's what I found on the GAA website for Football & Hurling:

----------------------------------------------------------------

| The Official Website of the GAA

Dec 8: Proposals of Hurling and Football Rules Committees
08, 2009

Summary of Proposals of Hurling and Football Rules Committees

Proposals approved by Ard Chomhairle on 5ú Nollaig 2009

for Experimentation in the 2010 National League

Introduction

As 2010 is a year when Playing Rule amendment may be tabled at Congress two Committees were set up by An tUachtarán, Criostóir Ó Cuana to review the Playing Rules of Gaelic Football and Hurling.

The membership of the committees was as follows:

Football: Seamus Woods (Chairman), Michael Curley, Michael McGrath, Oisin McConville, John Kiely, Pat Daly, Liam Sammon, Anthony Rainbow, Patrick Doherty (Secretary).

Hurling: Simon Moroney (Chairman), Ned Quinn, Noel O’Donoghue, Pat O’Connor, Fergal Hartley, Jamesie O’Connor, Ollie Canning, Pat Daly, Fr, Seamus Gardiner, Patrick Doherty (Secretary).

Terms of Reference

The Terms of Reference of the Committees were confined to the Playing Rules; the Disciplinary Rules and Process were, therefore, beyond the brief of the Committees.

The Proposals of the Committees:

Football

1. Fist Pass:

Proposal: Eliminate the “open handed” pass and return to fist pass only.

Rationale: It is accepted that the hand pass is being widely abused and is, consequently, impossible to implement on a consistent basis.

2. Catch from Kick-out:

Proposal: A free- kick to be awarded to a player making a catch between the 45 m lines directly from a kick-out. The free-kick is to be taken by the player who makes the catch unless he is injured prior to the free-kick being taken.

Rationale: It was felt that “high-fielding”, once one of the most highly acclaimed skills in the game, needs to be acknowledged and rewarded.

3. Bounce:

Proposal: The bounce in Football to be re-defined as: “For a player to play the ball against the ground with his hand(s) and to catch it on return to his hand(s)”.

Rationale: It is considered by the committee that the current definition viz “For a player to play the ball against the ground with his hand(s) and back to his hand(s) again” has led to considerable ambiguity and inconsistencies in referee interpretation.

4. Penalty Kick

Proposal: The penalty should be taken from a spot which is located 11m. from the centre of the goal line.

Rationale: It was accepted that a disparity has developed between penalties in hurling and football; statistical evidence suggests that the relatively modest return from penalties in football leads to the conclusion that it pays to foul. It is considered that a penalty kick from the centre of the 13m line does not carry a sufficient level of deterrent, and is not the advantage to the attacking team that such should be.

5. Kick-out

Proposal: All kick-out to be taken from the 13m line, within the small rectangle.

Rationale: It was noted that there is considerable time delay at kick-outs and that “short” kick-outs following wides can be unsightly, and occasionally controversial. It was further considered that this may encourage “high fielding”, mentioned earlier in the proposal with regard to the introduction of the free-kick for the catch from a kick-out.

Hurling

1. Hand-pass

Proposal: That the hand-pass in hurling be defined as: “The ball must be released and struck with a definite striking action of the hand”.

Rationale: With the speed of the game it is becoming increasingly difficult for referees to judge whether a player has thrown the ball or not. This definition will bring clarity to the judgment decision.

2. Rules 4.16 (a) & (b) – Technical Fouls

Proposal: To replace the words “before the puck is taken” with “before the ball is struck” in Rule 4.16.

Rationale: Rule 4.11 and Rule 4.16 relate to the penalty puck and this proposal will simply ensure that the wording is consistent between both Rules.

3. Puck-out

Proposal: That the penalty under Rule 4.15 relating to taking the puck-out from outside the small rectangle be amended to:
(i) Cancel puck-out.
(ii) Throw in the ball on the defenders’ 20m line opposite the scoring space”.

Rationale: It is considered that the penalty for “fouling” a puck-out, i.e the award of a 65m free to the opposition is too severe.

Proposals affecting Both Games

The following proposals were put forward which affect both Football and Hurling.

1. Advantage

Proposal: The referee shall indicate that advantage is being played by means of a “raised and extended arm”.

Rationale: Both committees considered the “Advantage Rule” as currently defined. A “re-call” mechanism was discussed but it was agreed that it would be impossible to implement. It was decided, therefore, that the proposal would be that a clearly-defined signal be used indicating that the referee had seen a foul, and was playing an advantage.

2. Throw-ins

Proposal: Throw-ins should not take place closer than 13m from the side-line.

Rationale: It is considered that very often throw-in situations can become very unsightly, particularly when the side-line is pinning the players in a particular area.

3. Charge (Fair)

Proposal: Include the words “Shoulder to shoulder” rather than “side to side” in the definition of the Fair Charge.

Rationale: It is the contention of the committees that the words “side to side” are causing inconsistencies in the application of the rule and in some cases, legitimising what would appear to be foul play.

Proposal (from Football Committee): That a player who is in the act of kicking the ball could not be charged, in a manner otherwise considered to be fair.

Rationale: The opinion of the Committee is that a player in the act of kicking the ball is actually at his most vulnerable as he will only have one foot on the ground and therefore, a charge (even though otherwise fair) may be dangerous and should not be legitimate.

4. Boundary Line

Proposal: Amend the penalty for deliberately going outside the boundary lines to gain an advantage to “Free-puck/kick from where the foul occurred”.

Rationale: It is considered that the current penalty of “Caution offender; order off for second cautionable offence” is too severe.

5. Time

Proposal: That the half-time and full-time whistle not be blown until the ball has gone over any boundary line.

Rationale: On occasion controversy has arisen in the past when a referee has, correctly, blown the whistle for half or full time when a team is attacking and with a scoring opportunity.

6. Rule 4 – Technical Fouls

Proposal: Amend Rule 4.9 relating to the “small rectangle” to allow a player enter the rectangle once the ball has been played. The rule would not be amended with regard to Set Play situations.

Rationale: It is virtually impossible for referees and umpires to adjudicate correctly on this rule on all occasions.

Conclusion

All proposals were adopted by Ard Chomhairle for experimentation during the 2010 National League with a view to deciding as to whether they should be proposed to Congress as permanent changes.

---------------------------------------------------------------

| The Official Website of the GAA

Some decent changes there in my opinion. The penalty spot being moved forward is a great idea & the rationale behind it makes sense. The fielding Mark from kick-outs is a work in progress, but again the rationale behind it is an honourable one - fielding is a wonderful aspect of Gaelic Football & of course Hurling, so this beautiful element should be encouraged & not hindered by opposition players aiming to prevent the catching of the ball by his opposite number - instead, in what would have been negative play by opposing player, this will encourage him or his colleague to attempt a Marking of the ball.

The one negative aspect of the proposed Mark, is possibly teams will field one or two massive fellas purely because they are bigger than anyone else on the field & their sole purpose is to win kick-outs & claim the Mark. This wont improve the quality of the game if skill is sacrificed for height & the claiming of the Mark.

I feel that Cork have, however, been doing this for a few years now, but they have now incorporated a running game with their height advantage & it looks pretty impressive. feck i'd love another crack at those feckers - with Pat McEneaney ref'in though!

County Kerry for instance is littered with Basketballers who've also played Football. You only have to go to a Kerry Basketball blitz to see these guys in action. The likes of Kieran Donaghy (his Da's a Tyrone man btw:eek:) & Michael Quirke are excellent Basketballers - Donaghy gets his "Star" nickname from playing Basketball & there are many more like them.

Its not beyond the realms of possibility that you'll have selectors scouring their County for huge fellas with little emphasis on footballing skills - not only on Gaelic football fields but Basketball Courts too, given how competitive Gaelic Football has become in the past 5 years - its vastly improving & evolving with each passing year!

The fist pass - with an end to the open-hand pass, in my opinion, will only slow the game down. It doesnt stipulate whether you can hand-pass the ball into the net tho - unless i've missed something. If any of you have ever went to fist a ball into the net & the ball bounces off a misaligned knuckle - you will know that the option of the hand-pass into the net is a gift & this rule change - if it includes the goalkeepers area, would endeavour to make complete tits out of alot of players - especially on programme segments such as "what happens next" or "sporting bloopers" & the coveted "miss of the year / gobshite that cost his County All-Ireland success because he fisted it wide from 4 yds out" :(:lol:

Not everyone agrees with the rule changes, but I think the GAA has the games interests at heart. They've explained the rationale behind each of the proposed rule changes & alot of it makes sense - on paper anyway, but thats the gist of it - its an experimental phase of both codes to see if the games improve & to see if it becomes a better spectacle for the supporter. Time will tell of course!

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish

Strabane eh - is the "Wee Man from Strabane" still alive? You know the old boy with the fastest mouth, who talks at 100mph. feck he'd wreck your head. Couldnt make any feckin sense out of him everytime he was on d'telly - but he thought he was great & he was old, so thats fair enough I suppose!

What brought you to Sligo - apart from a car or bus?

Marcus Arelios from Wexford - what a fecking name :lol: From the Gladiator flick but it was actually a real person too. The full name is Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augustus. They liked their A's back in those days - well he or his parents did anyway :houllier:

There was a good few chippin in with our thread - a few Aussies too as I mentioned previously, but generally it was a select few who were the regular posters. Once the games get underway, folk on here will look for the thread & post away. Its good craic but also gets challengin like any good thread!

Watch out for Baz - he's a cheeky rascal that one. A Westmeath man living up in Belfast - hates Tyrone aswell ;):lol:

All the lads that post are great, so you'll enjoy the banter that goes with it. I used to post on Hoganstand.ie until i got totally sick of those cnuts. The amount of crap they spout on there is unbelievable. They all seem to hate Northern Football regardless of how well a County played - serious agendas about other issues aswell - major grudges that just get on yer tits!

As regards Kyle, spot on with your observations. That the problem with players that are better than the players around them - they feel have to do more to win games. When he steps up, he'll be in good company & a few of the other 2008 Minor players will gain from the experience aswell. They're still young tho & Under-21 would be they're developing platform but the Dr McKenna is the perfect stage for these young lads to getta taste of Senior football & at the same time they'll be playing against Colleges too - lads around the same age!

Where do you find another Dooher - you dont. You just strip him down & insert titanium into him. He'll be around for a while yet & Kevin Hughes is back to being the player he was after the 2005 final - where he got man of the match. He fecked off to Oz & America for next year & wasnt the same player. Mickey then stuck with him last year & I thought him & McGinley had the perfect partnership for us in mid-field. It bodes well for us man. We've the best youth football structure in the Country & all we need now is to blood a few of those gems & get some of the lads who had made fantastic leaps past couple of years - then got injured last year, back into the mix because there's some solid footballers there with the right winning attitude & spirit to play in our team!

Dont pay too much attention to what happened against Cork. We had a an off-day & with Seany not up for it - the game plan was fecked up. I can see why Mickey was fecked off with him but mentioning it in his book wasnt his greatest act, but I guess he was just being honest about alot of what pressures that were goin on Seany's life - GPA, gettin married, work & the responsibility that rested on his shoulders within the County team & his club the Moy. Its an amateur game & special players dont have the luxury of being pampered souls - unless you're from Dublin of course (fao: Decotron:D)

I thought Galvin was superb last year. I was down at the drawn Munster Final: Kerry - Cork game at Fitzgerald Stadium in Killarney & he was the engine that kept Kerry in the game for a replay. Some turnaround for a player who was so villified the previous year for acting the bollox. He cut out most, if not all of his antics & was duly rewarded - on merit with player of the year. Fair play to him & we'd duly love to have a battering ram like Galvin in our team. Ricey's similar tho, but as you said - we need that extra bitta hardened mobility about the middle & half back/forward lines!

There's not much wrong with our team & anyone that thinks that is only deluding themselves. Dont believe all you read in Southern Media either, most of it is written by Dublin based journo's that write with agendas - such as writin off Kerry last year - backin the Dubs (once again) to beat Kerry, win sam & falling flat on their faces. Same shit happened the previous year when Tyrone hammered Dublin at the same stage Kerry hammered Dublin in 2009!

I've nothing against Dublin, but detest the hype machine that comes with them. I've alot of respect for the Hurlers of Dublin too, if only the footballers had the same level of committment, dedication & humility, then Dublin footballers would gain alot more respect than they have - even from their own supporters!

Crerand Legend

Trying to give you's lot a chance :lol:

Bet you any money Ciaran "Wheeloooooooooo McWheeeeeeeeeeelooooooooo" Whelan comes out of retirement now that the Mark is implemented for the Provincial Cups & NFL. He's a great fielder!
Looks like you are in good form for the incoming season RHD

Irwinwastheking

I lived right and close to wee Hugo for a few years. Bit of a....I'd better not say!! The other mouth from Strabane was some old buck Cunningham from the infamous Ballycolman Estate!!

Moved to Sligo for college, but decided to be a dropout instead....Ah Sligo's not to bad.. Love their football, but are crippled by a shit club scene. Last years senior county campionship runners up were relegated in the League this year. Not a good sign!! I'd have wee David Kelly on my team any day of the week though!!

Crerand Legend

I lived right and close to wee Hugo for a few years. Bit of a....I'd better not say!! The other mouth from Strabane was some old buck Cunningham from the infamous Ballycolman Estate!!

Moved to Sligo for college, but decided to be a dropout instead....Ah Sligo's not to bad.. Love their football, but are crippled by a shit club scene. Last years senior county campionship runners up were relegated in the League this year. Not a good sign!! I'd have wee David Kelly on my team any day of the week though!!
Wee Hugo and I am not a fan was a friend of my sisters in law family . You dont know two brothers do you ,Dualta and Rossa?

Irwinwastheking

Wee Hugo and I am not a fan was a friend of my sisters in law family . You dont know two brothers do you ,Dualta and Rossa?
Daulta was in my class in school, Rossa was a bit younger. 2 headers when they were at that age. What are they up to now?? Havn't seen Daulta since I was up in belfast a few years ago for a visit and ended up playing indoor with him!

Crerand Legend

Daulta was in my class in school, Rossa was a bit younger. 2 headers when they were at that age. What are they up to now?? Havn't seen Daulta since I was up in belfast a few years ago for a visit and ended up playing indoor with him!
I am their Uncle , Rossa in Strabane as far as I know and supposedly getting married next year , Dualta is in Belfast but I hardly see either of them these days, Dualta still a scouse git lol

Irwinwastheking

I am their Uncle , Rossa in Strabane as far as I know and supposedly getting married next year , Dualta is in Belfast but I hardly see either of them these days, Dualta still a scouse git lol
Yeah he always was. Was Sadie your sister.

(I think it was Sadie. Was used to all call each other by the ma's names in school)

Crerand Legend

Yeah he always was. Was Sadie your sister.

(I think it was Sadie. Was used to all call each other by the ma's names in school)
No, Sadie was married to my brother , sadly they split up a few years ago after being married for a good few years, his faullt I might add. Sadie remains a good friend and calls to see us now and again . I was friendly and still am with all her family , top girl

Irwinwastheking

No, Sadie was married to my brother , sadly they split up a few years ago after being married for a good few years, his faullt I might add. Sadie remains a good friend and calls to see us now and again . I was friendly and still am with all her family , top girl
I have to say she was a popular mum with all the horny 16 year olds!!

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Looks like you are in good form for the incoming season RHD
Gotta stay sharp around you's boyo's :D

Decotron is a top Gaelic man incase anyone hasnt noticed, in fact he's a top man full stop. The man would watch two cockroaches race on porridge sliding down a wall - because it looks like sport. He'd probably put money on it too & feckin win the jammy barsteward :D

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish

Trying to pull up a photo of the auld boy motormouth from up your way. I stuck "Strabane fast talker" and various other phrases into Google & all i'm pullin up is shit like this mad image highlighting collusion, freaked me out at first, until i read what it was about:

strabane fast talker - Google Images

Not quite what i had in mind to reflect on first thing in the morn when the roads & paths are like ice rinks & the old folk are in Danny Dyer need of help :(

Strabane seems to still keeping up appearances through its youth, many of which weren't even old enough to spell "Troubles" nevermind remember what it was like!

Anyway back to subject - yer man:

....bittuva ball bag then I take it?

All the fame & glory went to his head eh?! It comes with the territory I suppose - him being a massive star in music, comedy, darts, growing beards, shafting grown men in Pudsy bear costumes & wearing trousers up to his neck.

I heard that aul Hugo has never worn a tie & a belt at the same time because he'd look like a sausage!

He seems to like white shirts & i'm trying to distinguish how many times he's worn the same white shirt & got caught on camera. Up to now i've found him to wear 2 different white shirts worn twice & caught on camera:

Exhibit A

Doesnt he look the schizznizz in this photo:

And again - lookin cool as ever in the same shirt:

Exhibit B
Bittuva charmer is aul Hugo:

Oh look - snap - the same shirt as above, only this time he's wearing it at a Loyalist Rally with King Rats mucker aul Willie "I hate fenians" McCrea :eek:

Oh... and with the proper King himself - "yeyyyyyyyyyyyyyy - we're the shiiiiiit":

---------------------------------------------------------

What a cracking start to the day - especially hearing the beautiful voice of the Extremely Very Very Very Very Very - even more Very Very Reverand Willie "No Pope here - honestly I havent seen him" McCrea :angel:

Decotron

Gotta stay sharp around you's boyo's :D

Decotron is a top Gaelic man incase anyone hasnt noticed, in fact he's a top man full stop. The man would watch two cockroaches race on porridge sliding down a wall - because it looks like sport. He'd probably put money on it too & feckin win the jammy barsteward :D
Im not that bad.......:angel:

I really hope Whelan doesn’t come back. That shit happened after O Neill left in the late 90's, backfired and maybe killed a generation that should have got alot more championship experience.....players do well in the league but by the time the annual Dublin All Ireland cumfest starts they go with the old reliable’s

I dont watch it half as much as I used to.

Irwinwastheking

Im not that bad.......:angel:

I really hope Whelan doesn’t come back. That shit happened after O Neill left in the late 90's, backfired and maybe killed a generation that should have got alot more championship experience.....players do well in the league but by the time the annual Dublin All Ireland cumfest starts they go with the old reliable’s

I dont watch it half as much as I used to.
The reason they all seem to go with the old reliables when the "championship cumfest" starts if because you havnt had a manager in years with the liathróidí to stand on their own feet, and live and die by their own judgement. They all seem to rely far to heavily on the media and the Hill for their team selection. A bit cowardly IMO.

Decotron

The reason they all seem to go with the old reliables when the "championship cumfest" starts if because you havnt had a manager in years with the liathróidí to stand on their own feet, and live and die by their own judgement. They all seem to rely far to heavily on the media and the Hill for their team selection. A bit cowardly IMO.
Ah sure thats nothing new, at least its better now than back in the early
90's when what club you played for was the main selection criteria. Still think Dublin would have had at least 1 or 2 more All Ireland's if the likes of Paul Clarke and Eamonn Heary werent effective put into exile by O Neill and his backroom yes men.

Dublin are certainly the Scousers of GAA in terms of annual predictions and it being our year!!! feckin fair weather flag on roof wannabes wouldnt know what the inside of parnell park looks like.

Stuff the Goat

a Farney man in Galway, next stop America.
Hello all! Tis great to have the auld GAA back, albeit the lesser competitons...... & of course slowly but surely, the brighter evenings!

Just read an article by Pat McEneaney on the new "mark". Apparently, the player CANNOT call the mark, ONLY the referee can!.... P.mcE is not impressed with the idea, & neither am I. Surely, if the mark is to be introduced, then it must be down to the player to call it!

I wonder who will become the 1st player to be booked/sent off for "bad-mouthing" the Referee for giving an unwanted mark!
E.G. A player fields a ball, with the intention of immediately passing to a teamate, whom he knows has a clear run on goal....Ref blows up for a mark!... the split second initative is gone...Grrrr!:keano:

Crerand Legend

The new rules didnt go down too well at Derry/Antrim, why cant they leave well enough alone?

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Derry won by 18 pts tonight , we are going to win the All Ireland , its on
Oh dear - sorry CL & PJ!

Down make the McKenna Cup semis after beating Derry

James McCartan's Down had beaten QUB and Antrim earlier in the group
Down set up a semi-final against Donegal in the Barrett McKenna Cup on Wednesday night by edging out Derry 1-15 to 1-13 at Celtic Park.

The Mournemen led 0-9 to 0-4 at half-time and Martin Clarke's goal helped extend their lead to 1-11 to 0-5.

But five unanswered points and a Seamus Bradley goal helped Derry draw level before two late Paul McComiskey points helped Down edge the verdict.

Antrim recovered from 0-9 to 0-4 down to beat Queen's 0-15 to 0-14.

The Down v Donegal semi-final is expected to be played on Wednesday night at Enniskillen (1930 GMT).

Two points by Antrim man Justin Crozier and three James Kielt scores helped Queen's lead by five at half-time at Casement Park.

However, Paddy Cunningham's introduction helped spur a Saffron revival and he and Kevin Brady were on target as Antrim drew level at 0-9 to 0-9.

The sides traded points in the remaining stages with James Loughrey, Brendan Herron, Neil O'Connell and Owen O'Neill on target for the Saffrons.

Queen's second-half scores included Crozier, Mannus Hannick (0-2), Joe Ireland, James Kielt and Declan O'Hagan.

O'Connell notched the winning score for the Saffrons.

At Celtic Park, Derry led 0-2 to 0-1 early on but Down responded with five unanswered points and moved into a 0-9 to 0-4 lead by the interval.

Ronan Murtagh scored three first-half points for the Mournemen while Mark Poland (0-2), Paul McComiskey, Aidan Carr, John Clarke and Callum King were also on target.

Derry's first-half scores came from Seamus Bradley, Liam Hinphey, Raymond Wilkinson and Charlie Kielt.

Down's goal was struck to the net by Martin Clarke on 43 minutes as he slammed home the rebound after Martin Dunne had saved the former Aussie Rules star's penalty.

Another Clarke point extended Down's lead to 1-11 to 0-5 and the game seemed over.

But Derry responded with five straight points, including efforts from Fergal Doherty, Seamus Bradley and captain Gerard O'Kane.

Seamus Bradley's goal on 60 minutes cut Down's lead to 1-12 to 1-10 and scores from Fergal Doherty and Adie McLaughlin then helped Derry draw level at 1-13 to 1-13.

However, McComiskey's two late points enabled Down to edge the verdict.

Down topped Section C with a maximum six points ahead of Antrim (four), Derry (two) and Queen's (nil).

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
On a lighter note, my old club Fr Rocks Cookstown have reached the final of the All-Ireland Club Intermediate Championsip. They play Spa Gaa on Valentines Day at Crokers. I'll be there - hopefully we'll massacre them!

Tyrone versus Kerry once again - bring it :cool:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Cookstown Fr Rocks (Tyrone) 2-11
Naomh Anna (Galway) 1-10

Tyrone and Ulster champions Cookstown Fr Rocks booked their place into the All-Ireland club intermediate football championship decider after seeing off a brave challenge from Naomh Anna of Galway yesterday.

Cookstown had a lethal attack force some rock-solid defending to thank for their victory at Pearse Park, Longford, where the Connacht winners threatened to cause an upset in the closing stages.

After taking in a 0-8 to 0-4 lead at the break, the men from Tyrone extended their lead to seven when Barry Mulligan buried in the game's opening goal by rebounding Brian Mulligan's initial effort to find the net.

Owen Mulligan and Conor Mullan added two more points, before staged a revival that saw Eamon Lynch strike over a point in the 51st minute and defender Ciaran Bird finish off a fine individual move into the Cookstown net.

Three frees from Patrick O'Flaherty had the deficit down to two with three minutes remaining, but a minute from time Cookstown quashed any thoughts of a comeback when Raymond Mulgrew released John Glimore and the Cookstown substitute blasted past a hapless Eoin Connolly to assure his team's place in the Valentine's Day decider alongside Kerry Spa at Croke Park.

Hoganstand.com - GAA Football & Hurling

Crerand Legend

As Joe Brolly said last year , the Mckennas dont even go to these matches anymore, actually encouaged by our performances, far more intensity this year. A few of the players now look like they really want to be county players. We had too many who just liked to be known as county players because increased their chances with the girls in Dormans, county players are a bit of a catch these days.

Crerand Legend

On a lighter note, my old club Fr Rocks Cookstown have reached the final of the All-Ireland Club Intermediate Championsip. They play Spa Gaa on Valentines Day at Crokers. I'll be there - hopefully we'll massacre them!

Tyrone versus Kerry once again - bring it :cool:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Cookstown Fr Rocks (Tyrone) 2-11
Naomh Anna (Galway) 1-10

Tyrone and Ulster champions Cookstown Fr Rocks booked their place into the All-Ireland club intermediate football championship decider after seeing off a brave challenge from Naomh Anna of Galway yesterday.

Cookstown had a lethal attack force some rock-solid defending to thank for their victory at Pearse Park, Longford, where the Connacht winners threatened to cause an upset in the closing stages.

After taking in a 0-8 to 0-4 lead at the break, the men from Tyrone extended their lead to seven when Barry Mulligan buried in the game's opening goal by rebounding Brian Mulligan's initial effort to find the net.

Owen Mulligan and Conor Mullan added two more points, before staged a revival that saw Eamon Lynch strike over a point in the 51st minute and defender Ciaran Bird finish off a fine individual move into the Cookstown net.

Three frees from Patrick O'Flaherty had the deficit down to two with three minutes remaining, but a minute from time Cookstown quashed any thoughts of a comeback when Raymond Mulgrew released John Glimore and the Cookstown substitute blasted past a hapless Eoin Connolly to assure his team's place in the Valentine's Day decider alongside Kerry Spa at Croke Park.

Hoganstand.com - GAA Football & Hurling
Well done RHD good luck on feb 14th

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
As Joe Brolly said last year , the Mckennas dont even go to these matches anymore, actually encouaged by our performances, far more intensity this year. A few of the players now look like they really want to be county players. We had too many who just liked to be known as county players because increased their chances with the girls in Dormans, county players are a bit of a catch these days.
The McKenna's give the young lads a chance to play Senior football & a springboard. A few Tyrone lads have excelled this year, so regardless of what Brolly says - its a good competition for our County & most others. College lads also getta a taste of playing against top players in our Province - which can only be a good thing :cool:

Good to hear there's been positives you've taken out of these games. Dormans - thats in Magherafelt isnt it CL?

Dig what you're saying about the lack of passion for the shirt last season & in previous years tbh aswell, young dumb & full of cum - springs to mind!

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Well done RHD good luck on feb 14th
Thanks very much man. Quite funny its on Vals day, its another case of Tyrone versus Kerry - so it could get heated, especially considering a load of the missus' mates will be goin to it aswell!

I'll be standing me ground. Fr Rocks is my club - Spa Kerry isnt there's but they'll be giving loads because its a Kerry club!