Gaa 2011

Stuff the Goat

a Farney man in Galway, next stop America.
A new new year is upon us, and so is the new GAA season.

We've all got our hopes & dreams for this year..... Of course "the Farney boys" will figure in my dreams... (thats probably as far as they will get.... weelll, I hope not!;) ).

Good luck to all & "here's" to a season filled with top quality action!

Sunday sees the beginning of the Provincial Cup competitions, namely; McKenna, O'Byrne, FBD cups in football & Keogh Cup in hurling.

These competitions are very much part of the GAA traditions. I believe they are being played at the right time, as they give teams a chance to get ready for the leagues. The leagues in turn, help prepare teams for surely their ultimate goal of Championship advancement.

Roll on the new season. :drool::)

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
The Dubs win it this year. We've got the best team ever... again...

Stuff the Goat

Very open this year.. . Down, will be close again, provided they don't get carried away after last year.
It will be very interesting to see what "Banty" does with Meath, could be very close, then again could be a flop.

Once again, I fancy Galway for the hurling.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Hello lads, hope you're all havin a decent start to 2011...

Good win for Tyrone against Donegal, given that they beat us last year in the Dr. McKenna Cup final, and they're under new management.

Donegal always do my head in, they have a great pool of players but the clans/tribilism within each town/village is the downfall of the County in football terms!

The Civil War split the Country, but in Donegal it split the County & most importantly it divided families - Brother against Brother, and its still prevalent to this day!

Local Gaa in Dhún na nGall / Tir Conaill (cousins: Tir Eoghain) just doesnt have it in them to reconcile. Its a frustrasted County, and i feel their pain. Its no fluke that many Glaswegian Irish are from the North West of Ireland. Let down down many governments & blanked by the Irish people!

Its about time you's Southern Softies got a hard-on for the North of this beautiful Country :D:p

Up the Province :lol:

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
Anyone watch Galvinised, the documentary on Paul Galvin? I missed it.

I heard he wore jeans so tight they'd have made John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever blush.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Anyone watch Galvinised, the documentary on Paul Galvin? I missed it.

I heard he wore jeans so tight they'd have made John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever blush.
Nah man - his jeans were painted on :houllier:

Each to our own. The man's a fantastic footballer, and he's the least timid player on any pitch. Very hard lad - no pun intended btw :nervous:

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Cant even think about football at this point man. If we get to an All-Ireland final, that will be very much like winning Sam. Tainted love springs to mind!

feck it! Onwards & upwards in life!!
Any titles this year will be so bitter sweet. The county really wont be able to enjoy them. Still hope we do it in memory. No better county for the job.

Nah man - his jeans were painted on :houllier:

Each to our own. The man's a fantastic footballer, and he's the least timid player on any pitch. Very hard lad - no pun intended btw :nervous:
He's a class player, but its a pity there wasnt a few Kerry lads on here we could rib about him!!

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Once again, I fancy Galway for the hurling.
Riddled with injuries at the moment, but yeah i have a feeling they'll go the whole way too, that game between Galway & Tipp last year was without doubt one of the best games of Hurling in years, its an awful pity they were pipped at the post, as always there is amazing talent in the county its just a matter of them clicking or things going right for a change.

Stuff the Goat

What a win for The Farney over the Tribesmen!

To think we had 8 NFL debutantes playing & that 14 of last years Ulster final panel were injured/absent! Fair pay to Eamon McEnaney!.......... Maybe we're not on the rapid slide that some like to believe .;)

Stuff the Goat

Happy St. Patrick's day to all GAA heads!

Half-way through the Leagues, must say the Dubs are doing superb in both codes. A special mention to their excellent hurlers.

Even though, we're near the botttom, I'm very happy with my own county (Monaghan). Playing quite well under a new system & introducing a lot of new good quality players.

A big day today in Croke Pk. for the clubs! ... I'll be rooting for Clarinbridge ( my new neighbours) & Crossmaglen (my old neighbours)!

Rooney24

The Dubs are the scousers of GAA - its ALWAYS their year!

Hopefully the Down men can go one step further than last year and bring Sam home.

Will be none too upset if Tyrone manage to do well though, for obvious reasons after everything that’s happened.

edmundo

The Dubs are the scousers of GAA - its ALWAYS their year!Hopefully the Down men can go one step further than last year and bring Sam home.

Will be none too upset if Tyrone manage to do well though, for obvious reasons after everything that’s happened.
Only after seeing this thread now and that was the first thing that struck me!

As a Kildare man myself, I fancy them winning Leinster, don't think we're ready to go all the way though.

Zebs

G'wan the Dubs. Fantastic result for the Hurlers.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I hope we either win the All Ireland or recede a level. I couldn't handle teams in both codes kicking my dreams in the nuts every August.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
:lol: took me a second there! I hear you though :(
I was there for the last one. The old man is from Clare so Ive some great memories of '95 generally.
Fair play to Clare alright, but i've great memories of Peter the Great scoring "11 points", but the last point being decided by Paddy fecking Russell that it wasnt a point to draw the game, ala replay! Robbed i tell ya, robbbbbbbbbed... Still feckin rippin about that! Long way to Tipperary my arse - not for a Tyrone Lynchmob :) Anyway, Paddy made amends in 2005 semi, when he deservedly gave us a free on the left, and Peter stuck it over the bar to win. Poetic justice, but 95 was our time & we would have gone on from there to win more. Peter played another 10yrs after that. The hurt drove him, like the rest of us Red Hand Gaels! This thread's gonna be kickin off very soon - the calm before the storm.... Anything to beat off Alzheizheimers... Aynngiht ot bate fof Azliehermsers... :confused:

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
First proper big match this year on tomorrow with the Dubs taking on Cork in the National League football final. It should be a cracker. Cork are a very good side with players all over the pitch that can score but somehow i reckon they'll get toppled by the Dubs tomorrow, i reckon they'll be that more hungrier for it.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
14 mins gone and the dubs 1-3 to 0-3 up

the game is going 100 miles an hour so far.

i swear the fitness of some of those guys is phenomenal.

McGrathsipan

dubs up 1-10 to 0-10 at half time

as the players were heading into the tunnel one of the ginger players that plays for cork shoved a dublin lad, barry cahill i think, who hit the ginger guy a few juicy right and left hooks. Big brawl in the tunnel followed between a few players. If something like that happend in soccer it would be all over the papers.

great passion being shown by both teams

McGrathsipan

7 mins left and its all square after dublin were a full 6 points ahead, they are running out of steam as usual.

they need to find a last bit of energy for the last few mins....

come on dublin"!

McGrathsipan

cork win by a point. Dublin should have been out of site, rabbits in the headlights again.

i cant even say well done to cork im so annoyed.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
Relax, lads, it's only the league.

I actually think Dublin have an excellent chance of winning the All Ireland this year. There aren't any teams that look head and shoulders above anyone else this time. In previous years you couldn't see past Kerry or Tyrone, but it's very open heading into the Championship.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
unfeckingreal, it's like supporting arsenal
Funny listening to it in the car driving home this evening Arsenal came into my head. To throw away an 8pt lead like that was bad in fairness particularly when Cork also had to take 3 good players off through injury.

If Dublin won today i was going to definitely throw a few quid on them winning Sam this year, i don't think i will now though. I reckon it'll head the Munster direction again this year.

Viper KGB

Well at least one game is worth watching today.

Dublin showing the cats how to hurl, magnificent display so far.

Zebs

Get the feck in! Hammered them.