GAA 2017

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Getting ready now to head down to the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick for the 3rd time in as many weeks. Hurling League Final Today.

Galway v Tipperary

After last years AI semi with Canning going off with a terrible injury before half time and Adrian Tuohy (my 1st cousin) the same a match where there was feck all seperating either team at the time, today should be a good indication as into what might have happened that day if not for those injuries. Both were massive blows to Galway that day.

Either way todays match has the makings of a belter. Both forward lines have the ability to destroy a team in a matter of minutes. From a Galway perspective, I'm of no doubt that if Galway are to win they'll have to hit the ground running right from the off and not let up until the final whistle. There'll have to be a serious man marking job done on Bubbles and McGrath too.

Anyways, no love lost between these two counties so I'm looking forward to a good battle. Canning to have a cracker and Galway to edge it.

Predictions for 2017 Championships.

Hurling:

Munster: Tipperary
Leinster: Galway
Ulster: Derry
All-Ireland Galway

Football:

Munster: Kerry
Leinster: Dublin
Ulster: Tyrone
Connacht: Mayo
All-Ireland Mayo

Last edited:

kidbob

Tipp and Dublin again for me unless Kilkenny and Kerry can up their games. Kildare showed some good form in the League but maybe we can get within 10 points of the Dubs this year instead of the 20+ of the last few. A decent draw in the inevitable qualifiers might see us nab an All Ireland quarters spot and then that's the end of the road. I would agree Galway are a dark horse in the hurling and could maybe pip Mayo in Connacht in the football. I see their footballers as in the same rebuilding stage as Kildare so maybe a quarter final berth for them too.

RORY65

Surely Mayo will do it eventually but it's difficult to look past Dublin. Mayo haven't really brought anyone new in this year, as of yet, whilst I think losing the unbeaten run to Kerry might be the kick up the arse the Dubs needed before the Championship. Tipp are the worthy favourites for today and the Championship but I do agree that Galway are serious contenders particularly given Kilkenny don't look as strong as usual (although you can never rule them out). I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest this also won't be the year that Carlow finally win the All-Ireland or even the first Leinster Championship in over 70 years.

Hurling:

Ulster: Antrim
All-Ireland: Tipperary

Football:

Connacht: Galway
All-Ireland: Dublin

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Getting ready now to head down to the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick for the 3rd time in as many weeks. Hurling League Final Today.

Galway v Tipperary

After last years AI semi with Canning going off with a terrible injury before half time and Adrian Tuohy (my 1st cousin) the same a match where there was feck all seperating either team at the time, today should be a good indication as into what might have happened that day if not for those injuries. Both were massive blows to Galway that day.

Either way todays match has the makings of a belter. Both forward lines have the ability to destroy a team in a matter of minutes. From a Galway perspective, I'm of no doubt that if Galway are to win they'll have to hit the ground running right from the off and not let up until the final whistle. There'll have to be a serious man marking job done on Bubbles and McGrath too.

Anyways, no love lost between these two counties so I'm looking forward to a good battle. Canning to have a cracker and Galway to edge it.

Predictions for 2017 Championships.

Hurling:

Ulster: Derry
All-Ireland Galway

Football:

Connacht: Mayo
All-Ireland Mayo
Good luck TBP

Ramshock

Surely Mayo will do it eventually but it's difficult to look past Dublin. Mayo haven't really brought anyone new in this year, as of yet, whilst I think losing the unbeaten run to Kerry might be the kick up the arse the Dubs needed before the Championship. Tipp are the worthy favourites for today and the Championship but I do agree that Galway are serious contenders particularly given Kilkenny don't look as strong as usual (although you can never rule them out). I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest this also won't be the year that Carlow finally win the All-Ireland or even the first Leinster Championship in over 70 years.

Hurling:

All-Ireland: Tipperary

Football:

Same as every season then with the football

RORY65

Same as every season then with the football
Yep, not exactly the boldest predictions but I actually think there would have been more hope for the likes of Kerry and Mayo if Dublin hadn't have had the wake-up call of losing the league final.

Ramshock

Yep, not exactly the boldest predictions but I actually think there would have been more hope for the likes of Kerry and Mayo if Dublin hadn't have had the wake-up call of losing the league final.
The GAA is on the same par as the SPL and Bundesliga now in terms of predictability. No im not bitter because my county is shite these days.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
@The Black Pearl - There will be no cows milked tonight.

Delighted for the Tribesmen

A serious marker put down before the Summer

Last edited:

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Brilliant stuff lads!

Waiting here in The Lady Gregory Hotel Gort for the team to come back for celebrations. We owed Tipp that walloping big time. I'm gonna enjoy the night, that's for sure!

bazalini

Would be a travesty if that Galway team didn't win am All Ireland. Your forwards & midfield stood up today. Thought Burke did well

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Would be a travesty if that Galway team didn't win am All Ireland. Your forwards & midfield stood up today. Thought Burke did well
They did but it was the backs that had everyone worried prior to the match. They hardly gave Bubbles Dwyer and the two McGraths an inch though, and that takes some going. There was a lot of Galway supporters walking away yesterday saying wtf did we just see!

Re: the forwards I was one of many that wanted Jason Flynn taken off at half time, he was having nightmare. Then he turns around and bangs in two cracking goals early in the second half. That's the Galway forwards for you though, like I said in the OP, they can destroy a team in minutes. Canning being let roam around where ever he wants is a great tactic. He pulled all the strings yesterday, he's both unmarkable and lethal in that role.

Stuff the Goat

a Farney man in Galway, next stop America.
great win for Galway hurlers, now onwards & upwards!

My predictions;

Hurling:

All-Ireland: Galway

Football:

Ulster: Monaghan

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
great win for Galway hurlers, now onwards & upwards!

My predictions;

Hurling:

Football:

Ulster: Monaghan
I don't what to do with myself with so many of ye predicting that :lol: Surely Galway are going to blow it again.

DanClancy

Galway hurlers to win an All ireland if they can avoid Kilkenny once out of Leinster. Don't think I've ever seen a bandwagon like in Croker in 2015, some crowd from Galway their that day.

bazalini

My predictions;

Hurling:

Munster: Waterford

Football:

bazalini

Delighted for Cork yesterday. Great Match. Tipp ain't got the form going into Championship to do anything

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Exhibition Hurling and a pleasure to watch.

Joe Canning is without a shadow of a doubt the most talented sportsman in the country. Unmarkable again today, just floats around the pitch. A genius. 25 Goals & 307 points in 43 Championship Games. I mean ffs!

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
As an Offaly man, I'm well used to disappointments. We've had 20 years of being poor in both codes.

Today is hard to take though. Played some excellent football in the first half into a gale. Patient on the ball, frustrated Westmeath, worked our opportunities and kicked 6 good scores to go in 0-6 a piece at half time.

Then we spent the second half, playing with a gale with one man in the opposition half and defending against a Westmeath team that didn't look all that dangerous. 0-10 each in the end.

We get to do it again in Mullingar next Saturday, but today was frustrating.