Gabby George | Back on the grass

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
26-year old Gabby George has signed for United from Everton. The 171cm tall defender is a United fan who spent most of her youth development years at the United Centre of Excellence. United apparently triggered a £150,000 release clause in her contract.

George joined Everton in 2014 and made 14 appearances in her first season, including a start in the FA Cup final. She was only 17 at the time.

in 2017 she made history by being the first Everton women’s player who signed a full-time professional contract.

The Manchester-born defender made 180 appearances for the Toffees. She has also represented England in the U17s, U19s, U20s and U21s. George made her full international debut in 2018. She has two caps for England. In 2017 she was named in the UEFA U17s Euros Team of the Tournament.

George was the WSL Player of the Month in January 2023.

Some much needed depth in the FB positions, good signing.

Ex-United Jesse Lingard is the Everton legend’s cousin.

Welcome back home, Gabby!

George on black history month: I want to be a role model

top1whoisman

Scout
Gabby George:
“It’s been a surreal day. As a massive Manchester United fan, I’m buzzing to be here. It’s the club I’ve supported since I was born, and I’m delighted to come back. This club means a lot to me and my family, and it’s where we want to be.”

Marc Skinner:
“We are delighted to welcome Gabby back to Manchester United, after seeing her flourish during her time away at Everton. Gabby’s versatility across the defensive line will further increase the competitiveness of our team and she will no doubt play an important part throughout this busy season.”

Polly Bancroft:
“Gabby joins United with established WSL pedigree, and we are delighted she has chosen to return to us, having graduated from our Centre of Excellence in 2014. Our fans can expect to see an exciting and dynamic player in our famous red shirt.”

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
So, are we stronger this season than last?
Possibly squad-wise, but as a first 11 it's much more of a question mark as we've lost Batlle (our best player), and Russo (our top scorer). Then there's the Earps situation which can't help. Geyse looks like a very solid replacement for Russo but also a different type of player, so might take some adjusting for us.

top1whoisman

Scout
Possibly squad-wise, but as a first 11 it's much more of a question mark as we've lost Batlle (our best player), and Russo (our top scorer). Then there's the Earps situation which can't help. Geyse looks like a very solid replacement for Russo but also a different type of player, so might take some adjusting for us.
Very much agree with all this.

ForeverRed1

After watching the liverpool game I think she’ll be a very good addition. I also think ella toone is going to have her real breakthrough season. People are going to see her class. Both her goals were fantastic, she was really very good and such a handful (admittedly liverpool were terrible) but you can only play what’s infront of you. We need these big players and signings to step up for sure.

Grande

I think it’s fair to say that last season, the team performed above what we could expect them to, so a bit of regression towards the mean eould be normal. Hopefully we can develop further to compensate for that, but it might take some adjustment time as well with so many new players. Expect Arsenal and City to improve this season as well.

The new signings do look exciting, though. I think we’re gonna see a few really enjoyable games this season. And it seems Polly Bankcroft is onto something interesting.

Demon Barber

I think we are potentially stronger than last season, but it all depends on how MS uses the squad. It is pointless having 18 excellent players if you only ever use 11, apart from predictable substitutions after 75 minutes.

Sheesh, that sounds negative. It wasn't meant to be. I'm delighted with the signings

top1whoisman

Scout
I think it’s fair to say that last season, the team performed above what we could expect them to, so a bit of regression towards the mean eould be normal. Hopefully we can develop further to compensate for that, but it might take some adjustment time as well with so many new players. Expect Arsenal and City to improve this season as well.

The new signings do look exciting, though. I think we’re gonna see a few really enjoyable games this season. And it seems Polly Bankcroft is onto something interesting.
Agree on all points. Another top three finish would be a very good accomplishment.

Gerald G

I think we are potentially stronger than last season, but it all depends on how MS uses the squad. It is pointless having 18 excellent players if you only ever use 11, apart from predictable substitutions after 75 minutes.

Sheesh, that sounds negative. It wasn't meant to be. I'm delighted with the signings
Haha. You're spot on to be fair

Lightbringer

Brilliant.
Nike shorts were a little baggier than Adidas though :devil:

Maybe she can talk to Tobin Heath if she wants NBA fit shorts like Tobin preferred at United!

Love to see academy players back at United, it also kills the narrative of other teams fans that United as a club never cared for womens football in any capacity.

Demon Barber

Nike shorts were a little baggier than Adidas though :devil:

Maybe she can talk to Tobin Heath if she wants NBA fit shorts like Tobin preferred at United!

Love to see academy players back at United, it also kills the narrative of other teams fans that United as a club never cared for womens football in any capacity.
I agree totally with your last point.

I can't remember who it was, but she was talking about how the women's game has developed and said they used to just wear oversized men's kits before manufacturers finally got their act together.