Gabriel Jesus | Arsenal

Mick321

If a player's confidence is "destroyed" by the manager preferring someone else to take a penalty I'm not sure that's on Guardiola. Sane is still contributing every time he starts too and just had an outstanding season, hopefully our manager can "ruin" some of our attackers then we might be able to score some more goals.

youmeletsfly

If a player's confidence is "destroyed" by the manager preferring someone else to take a penalty I'm not sure that's on Guardiola. Sane is still contributing every time he starts too and just had an outstanding season, hopefully our manager can "ruin" some of our attackers then we might be able to score some more goals.
If Mahrez would've scored that penalty Gabriel's confidence wouldn't be ruined now. =D

Last edited by a moderator:

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Huh.

He looked great when he came on. Had a few good dribbles, one of them should have won City a penalty. He's not Aguero, but has plenty of time to develop further.
He looked great in pretty much every game he came on, he's just "unlucky" that Aguero is in such form.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Pep is ruining him and Sané. The other day he just destroyed whats left of his confidence.
Not sure how you can say Pep is ruining either of these players, especially not Sané, who might be the best direct winger in the Premier League already? (I say "direct" because Salah and Hazard are both inverted wingers, or like to play off the shoulder).

But having said that, Jesus is in a critical and confusing stage of his career. He's going to have to decide what type of striker he is, and he's going to have to decide pretty soon. He looks like an expert poacher one week but will then regularly find himself offside or struggle to finish a simple chance. Then there are games where he looks like a brilliant ball-carrier, but he has a tendency to go down easy or just get shrugged off the ball. He has all the attributes to be a genuinely world class player, but he's running out of time to grow into one.

Iheanacho's ceiling was always lower than Jesus', and the fact that Jesus knows Pep's system and plays it well shows that he's maturing into a good striker at the very least, but we've had this before and we need to be wary. When Iheanacho broke out on that US tour in 2014, he had a great first touch and real confidence in possession. Come the winter of 2017, he failed to win a header on the halfway line at Leicester, ten seconds later we were 1-0 down, and Iheanacho never started another game for the club.

I doubt Jesus' case will be that extreme, but what happened to Iheanacho was caused by him never quite pinning down an identity as a striker. He started his City youth career as something of an advanced-#10-cum-striker, but look at the video below and you'll see that his true instincts were to be a poacher. That side of his game improved but his ability to hold onto the ball completely collapsed. Hoping this won't happen to Jesus but there is a chance it might.

Last edited:

the_irish123

Not sure how you can say Pep is ruining either of these players, especially not Sané, who might be the best direct winger in the Premier League already? (I say "direct" because Salah and Hazard are both inverted wingers, or like to play off the shoulder).

But having said that, Jesus is in a critical and confusing stage of his career. He's going to have to decide what type of striker he is, and he's going to have to decide pretty soon. He looks like an expert poacher one week but will then regularly find himself offside or struggle to finish a simple chance. Then there are games where he looks like a brilliant ball-carrier, but he has a tendency to go down easy or just get shrugged off the ball. He has all the attributes to be a genuinely world class player, but he's running out of time to grow into one.

Iheanacho's ceiling was always lower than Jesus', and the fact that Jesus knows Pep's system and plays it well shows that he's maturing into a good striker at the very least, but we've had this before and we need to be wary. When Iheanacho broke out on that US tour in 2014, he had a great first touch and real confidence in possession. Come the winter of 2017, he failed to win a header on the halfway line at Leicester, ten seconds later we were 1-0 down, and Iheanacho never started another game for the club.

I doubt Jesus' case will be that extreme, but what happened to Iheanacho was caused by him never quite pinning down an identity as a striker. He started his City youth career as something of an advanced-#10-cum-striker, but look at the video below and you'll see that his true instincts were to be a poacher. That side of his game improved but his ability to hold onto the ball completely collapsed. Hoping this won't happen to Jesus but there is a chance it might.

[ A]
He should be playing in a similar way Lucas is playing off Kane. I think he's really talented, that double dribble he had, that lead to a penalty(?) claim against Liverpool is what he was a master of doing, like in the 2015 U20 world cup where I thought he was heads and shoulders the best player in that tournament.

The problem is that he's playing in that Pep system where the front players always has to take a fall for the system.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Has to be one of the most overrated players around. Misses so many sitters and his overall play isn't particularly good either.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I think he's suffering from a lack of confidence and not being in the team is making it worse. In reality he has 7 goals in 12 starts this season. He's not a WC player by any stretch but he's not terrible either.

Denis_unwise

May be in a sulk due to contact negotiations not going his way. He & Sterling both chose to start negotiations after the WC to leverage better deals. They both had poor tournaments. On negotiation though Sterling got close to what he asked for whereas Jesus only received a modest increase.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Still on for 15 goals this season which isn't a bad return considering he's a second striker who's struggled for form.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Still on for 15 goals this season which isn't a bad return considering he's a second striker who's struggled for form.
It’s still a good return, I’d say. I rate him quite a bit, and people forget how young he still is.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
For a side who have scored 87 goals in 32 games, it’s not really. I don’t particularly rate him. Think he’s the least talented by some distance in City’s crop of star studded attackers.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
He was fairly cheap with all the crazy fees going around, at worst he'll be a reliable rotation option for them for quite a while.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Where are the folks who were sad when Aguero got injured last year, thought he won't fit in Guardiola's system? You don't need system when one player is significantly better than others.

He is also very unlikeable guy, these Brazilian players are either very likeable or very unlikeable players for some reason, at least for me.

the_irish123

Started only 8/33 league games. His goal ratio is still very high, but I hope he can leave to an Inter or a Spurs so he can play more often and develop. I thought he was a great talent in U20 world cup back in 2015. Pep really destroys center forwards huh.

crossy1686

career ending
Started only 8/33 league games. His goal ratio is still very high, but I hope he can leave to an Inter or a Spurs so he can play more often and develop. I thought he was a great talent in U20 world cup back in 2015. Pep really destroys center forwards huh.
Pep doesn't like forwards or defenders, he wants them to be midfielders. Feck, he even wants his goalkeeper to be able to play it out.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Can I remind you again that many said he fits their system better than Aguero? Even Pep thought the same :lol:

Where are the folks who were sad when Aguero got injured last year, thought he won't fit in Guardiola's system? You don't need system when one player is significantly better than others.

He is also very unlikeable guy, these Brazilian players are either very likeable or very unlikeable players for some reason, at least for me.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
In a 4-3-3 we play with one striker. Jesus is unlucky enough to be competing for one starting position against one of the greatest striker's in PL history, who is leading the scoring charts this season. I don't really see that you can criticise Guardiola too much for this one. If Mendy had been fit this season, we'd likely have played 3-5-2 more often, which would've given more opportunity for Aguero and Jesus to start together. But he hasn't, so 4-3-3 has been the order of the day.

It will be interesting to see with Jesus though. Aguero probably has one more season in him, so if he can stay patient for a little bit longer then he'll be in prime position to take over.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Aguero and Lewandowski haven't done too badly.

Treble

The reason why Aguero and Sterling play over Jesus and Sane is not related so much to productivity (Sane has a better goals/assists to played minutes ratio than Sterling) but to the fact that Aguero and Sterling are better at not giving possession away which is quite important for Guardiola's system. Latest example: Jesus lost the ball for Palace goal recently.

That said, it's not a bad season for Jesus, he will probably hit 20 goals in all compets for 1st time in his career and is only 22. Aguero's been in sensational form since January.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Out of all the clubs you could have chosen you've picked two where Jesus wouldn't even start anyway. Jesus has suffered from his own drop off in form and Aguero's rebirth under Pep, which doesn't really tally with your last sentence.

Can I remind you again that many said he fits their system better than Aguero? Even Pep thought the same :lol:
Jesus is a more natural fit for Pep's system, that's never really been in question. Aguero's experience, his far superior quality and his ability to adapt are the reasons he's become undroppable this season and meant Jesus is only getting games purely when we can afford to rest Aguero.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Jesus is a more natural fit for Pep's system, that's never really been in question. Aguero's experience, his far superior quality and his ability to adapt are the reasons he's become undroppable this season and meant Jesus is only getting games purely when we can afford to rest Aguero.
Of course he is better fit, but that doesn't mean Aguero is still twice the player and brings far more even if he walks entire game.

Aguero hardly changed his game, every player changes some details in his game but Aguero's main attribute and style of play remained the same, which is more than enough to make him better player than Jesus in any system in football.

It's like when people were saying that Ronaldo wouldn't fit in Barca's system ahead of Pedro. :lol:

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
A swap between Icardi and Jesus would be fantastic, I'd love to see Lautaro Martinez-Gabriel Jesus playing together.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Of course he is better fit, but that doesn't mean Aguero is still twice the player and brings far more even if he walks entire game.

Aguero hardly changed his game, every player changes some details in his game but Aguero's main attribute and style of play remained the same, which is more than enough to make him better player than Jesus in any system in football.

It's like when people were saying that Ronaldo wouldn't fit in Barca's system ahead of Pedro. :lol:
Aguero now runs harder, press the defenders more than he used to do in Peps first season
Aguero was always a good marksman but he added the running, passing and pressing to his game in the past 2 seasons
Before Pep, Aguero mainly played in a 2 striker formation and to reform him to a lone striker and still get him to retain his marksman skills
“I’m driven to keep on learning, and I have always been able to absorb the lessons of other coaches and put them to practice.

“Pep is very demanding, but I simply had to adapt my game and mindset and change how I play to his style.

“That means helping recover the ball, press, pass it around more, search for my teammates and remain open for passes to find the goal.

“It’s a continuous learning process, and I value that kind of thing as it helps me improve as a player.”
https://www.football365.com/news/aguero-guardiola-made-me-better-player