Galatasaray & Everton Review | Newcastle Preview - United Hour Podcast

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Nik and Imran discuss United's thrilling but ultimately disappointing 3-3 draw with Galatsaray. They talk Onana, our fading hopes of getting out of the group, and whether we want Europa League football or not.
They also discuss a comfortable (?) win at Everton and probably don't spend long enough talking about THAT goal and Kobbie Mainoo.
Finishing with a look ahead to a punishing December schedule which will make or break the season.

Check out our Linktree for other listening links, social media, Patreon, podcast history etc https://linktr.ee/unitedhour

I blame Fergie a bit for the attitude of some towards the EL. His comments after we got knocked out of the CL group in 05/06 (?) left a mark, Busby was rolling in his grave. I always marvel at how Liverpool have 3 Uefa Cups to go along with they twice as much as us European Cups, those scousers don't sneer at Europe. I could blame our lack of a Supercup on this as well.

We have to give Onana every chance to prove us wrong, we paid too much money to not go the extra mile. He has stats - in Europe and in the EPL - to suggest all is not lost.

I expect Marcus to pick up form heading into 2024 and he'll end the season well.

Last edited:
It would be an opportune time to sell Bruno this coming European summer. He's back to his penetrative best and I think he'll be outstanding for Portugal at the Euros. He's at his peak and has 2 seasons left on his contract after this one.

I blame Fergie a bit for the attitude of some towards the EL. His comments after we got knocked out of the CL group in 05/06 (?) left a mark, Busby was rolling in his grave. I always marvel at how Liverpool have 3 Uefa Cups to go along with they twice as much as us European Cups, those scousers don't sneer at Europe. I could blame our lack of a Supercup on this as well.

We have to give Onana every chance to prove us wrong, we paid too much money to not go the extra mile. He has stats - in Europe and in the EPL - to suggest all is not lost.

I expect Marcus to pick up form heading into 2024 and he'll end the season well.

We were spoilt for years under Fergie though, CL qualification was a formality so playing Europa was really an embarrassment

Nowadays we need the extra chance of a trophy and CL place so yes I'd rather be in it than nothing

We were spoilt for years under Fergie though, CL qualification was a formality so playing Europa was really an embarrassment

Nowadays we need the extra chance of a trophy and CL place so yes I'd rather be in it than nothing
Europe is never embarrassing.

Europe is never embarrassing.

Id used to be a cup with only second rate teams. Nowadays you get a lot of champions league teams in there and top teams in general. The prestige of the Europa League has absolutely changed over the years.

Id used to be a cup with only second rate teams. Nowadays you get a lot of champions league teams in there and top teams in general. The prestige of the Europa League has absolutely changed over the years.

2015 when they offered a CL place for the winner is when everyone started taking it seriously

The UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cups were worthy competitions though, it was only UEFA messing with the format that killed it for a while