Game 22: Belgium vs Republic of Ireland

Winrar

Belgium vs Republic of Ireland

Venue: Nouveau Stade de Bordeaux, Bourdeaux
KO: 1500 (local time)​

Scrumpet

There are no words
Should be a good'un.

The whole '1 team vs 11 individuals' thing from the Italy-Belgium game is nice and all but it sure helps when you have exceptional defenders to keep their match-winners quiet. Wouldn't be at all surprising for De Bruyne or Hazard to spoil the fun with an early goal. Ireland have to be feeling far better about this one than they did when the groups were drawn though, all the pressure is on Belgium. Keep the upsets comin'.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Italy result went our way

But I'm nervous as feck. Somehow avoid defeat and see what we can do against an already qualified Italy

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Perfect one here in Sydney for us. 11pm kick off, really feel Ireland can surprise Belgium, would love a win for the Irish, can't stand the football hipsters and their obsession with Belgium.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
After the opening matches I'm very confident we can get something out of this. We looked really strong in the first half and if we can replicate that we have a good chance of even grabbing a win. Belgium aren't half as good as they are hyped up to be.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Rumoured starting XI in the Belgian papers today:

Courtois; Meunier, Alderweireld, Vermaelen, Vertonghen; Witsel, Nainggolan, Hazard; Mertens, Carrasco, Benteke.

Yeah, you read that right. Wilmots is a madman if he starts like this, he'll be vilified in the press unless we win 5-0.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Beautiful stadium. I am expecting a draw, I'm in Ireland now and will be in Dublin for a game time, should be fun.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Rumoured starting XI in the Belgian papers today:

Courtois; Meunier, Alderweireld, Vermaelen, Vertonghen; Witsel, Nainggolan, Hazard; Mertens, Carrasco, Benteke.

Yeah, you read that right. Wilmots is a madman if he starts like this, he'll be vilified in the press unless we win 5-0.
Jesus Christ :lol:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Our most reliable sports website now says that De Bruyne and Lukaku will start though, and that Carrasco and Dembele will be the only two changes. I'm not sure which one to believe but we'll know soon enough..

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Our most reliable sports website now says that De Bruyne and Lukaku will start though, and that Carrasco and Dembele will be the only two changes. I'm not sure which one to believe but we'll know soon enough..
I'd have dropped Lukaku, but if Carrasco and Dembele are in then I think Wilmots has made good changes.

Brophs

The One and Only
Woke up this morning resolute in the view that we'll win today. That won't lead to crushing disappointment at all.

onemanarmy

The actual lineup for Belgium, according to a reliable newspaper:

Courtois; Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Vermaelen, Meunier; Witsel, Dembélé; Hazard, De Bruyne Carrasco; Lukaku

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Looks much, much better than the first match line-up. Though even that looked good on paper so let's see if Belgium can stop being a team full of players wanting their 25 yard pot shot goal.

Who's Meunier?

onemanarmy

Looks much, much better than the first match line-up. Though even that looked good on paper so let's see if Belgium can stop being a team full of players wanting their 25 yard pot shot goal.

Who's Meunier?
Attacking right back from Club Brugge. Young player, good potential but is coming back from an injury and doesn't have any experience on this level. Very good at overlaps and crossing, not the best defender. He used to play as a winger.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Perfect one here in Sydney for us. 11pm kick off, really feel Ireland can surprise Belgium, would love a win for the Irish, can't stand the football hipsters and their obsession with Belgium.
:drool:

I hope your right

The nerves are really starting for me now

But even if we lose we still have a chance against an already qualified Italy

red4ever 79

Hoping Ireland can put in the same level today as against Sweden. Being tight and compact in defence will be the key.

Is Jonathan Walters fit?

Ainu

Courtois; Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Vermaelen, Meunier; Witsel, Dembélé; Hazard, De Bruyne Carrasco; Lukaku
I don't like Witsel instead of Nainggolan, he really is untouchable for Wilmots. Still, a better line-up than the first game. I'd have put Batshuayi on for Lukaku though. Lukaku can't play in tight spaces and that will be necessary against Ireland.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't like Witsel instead of Nainggolan, he really is untouchable for Wilmots. Still, a better line-up than the first game. I'd have put Batshuayi on for Lukaku though. Lukaku can't play in tight spaces and that will be necessary against Ireland.
I agree. I don't rate Witsel at all and think Michy has been shafted a bit. Strange of Wilmots to criticise Lukaku and then start him though.

onemanarmy

I agree. I don't rate Witsel at all and think Michy has been shafted a bit. Strange of Wilmots to criticise Lukaku and then start him though.
If you put him on the bench today, his tournament is over. You know he's a confidence player. Bring Michy on in the second half if necessary.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Come on Oyland! Can't stand Belgium and their overrated team.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The Irish fans are great. They shouted 'go back to your sexy wives' to the Swedish fans. :lol:

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea

Credit to Wilmots, great team selection. Hopefully it's De Bruyne wide instead of Hazard. He plays like a second striker instead of an attacking midfielder. Leaves too many gaps in midfield & doesn't participate in build-up play.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Ward in for Walters apparently. Not sure if it means Brady goes up front or if Hoolahan will be pushed up.

EDIT: A switch to a 433 probably makes most sense actually. Although that limits Hoolahan hugely.

Walters_19_MuFc

Wilmots will most likely change up the team after an awful display against Italy.

Courtois
Ciman Alderweireld Vermaelen Vertonghen
Fellaini Witsel
Mertens De Bruyne Hazard
Origi​

onemanarmy

Wilmots will most likely change up the team after an awful display against Italy.

Courtois
Ciman Alderweireld Vermaelen Vertonghen
Fellaini Witsel
Mertens De Bruyne Hazard
Origi​
Confirmed lineup already posted. Not even close ;)

TheCorkman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Ward in for Walters apparently. Not sure if it means Brady goes up front or if Hoolahan will be pushed up.

EDIT: A switch to a 433 probably makes most sense actually. Although that limits Hoolahan hugely.
I think it might be a 4411 with Hendrick tucked in on the right. Ward against Carrasco could be a massacre. Hopefully we can free Long down the channels and allow him to run at Vermaelan. Brady should be a threat versus Meunier on the wing aswell. That Belgium side is very intimidating though. I'm going to be pissed if McGeady or Keane got on the pitch again today. We'd be better off sticking Sheasy up top if we need a goal.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Credit to Wilmots, great team selection. Hopefully it's De Bruyne wide instead of Hazard. He plays like a second striker instead of an attacking midfielder. Leaves too many gaps in midfield & doesn't participate in build-up play.
I think they should do the opposite, personally feel Hazard is better wide left than De Bruyne is on the wing.

Ainu

Let's see what Meunier can do. I'm not comfortable with his defensive game but hopefully he can do some damage in attack. Lukaku needs to put in a performance or start fearing for his place. Unlike Witsel, who could score 5 own goals and still be certain of his place in the first XI.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Have a feeling we'll lose today and go into the Italy game needing a win.

It would be very poor on Belgium's part I they fail to bounce back against us.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Come on Oyland! Can't stand Belgium and their overrated team.
We haven't been overrated since the WC, pretty much everyone thinks we've got a lot of quality but we play like shit, which is accurate. I wish people would stop saying we're overrated when literally everyone says we're nothing special.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
We haven't been overrated since the WC, pretty much everyone thinks we've got a lot of quality but we play like shit, which is accurate. I wish people would stop saying we're overrated when literally everyone says we're nothing special.
You're overrated in England. Everyone I've spoken to fancies Belgium as a favourite because of the players you've got. Not to mention the FIFA world ranking.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
You're overrated in England. Everyone I've spoken to fancies Belgium as a favourite because of the players you've got. Not to mention the FIFA world ranking.
Ah that might be true, don't know about that but it's certainly not the case in Belgium or on the caf. FIFA rankings are not representative either but probably mislead people who don't know much about football or don't watch our games.

Reddevilboy

Supports
Brexit
To be fair, their team is really very strong. Not gonna lie, I'm actually envious of their team. Any team which has De Bruyne and Hazard can go far in the tournament. It's just a shame that their coach seems to be out of depth. They should have sacked Wilmots and get a better coach.