• Denise Gough
  • Jamie Campbell Bower
  • Sheila Atim
  • Ivanno Jeremiah
  • Georgie Henley
  • John Simm
Being filmed in Northern Ireland

Synopsis (?)

The Long Night plot, as described by Martin in the books, closely mirrors the plot of the current Game of Thrones TV show: The White Walkers invade. A human hero emerges to stop them. Hopefully, when HBO says that the story of the Long Night isn’t the one we think we know, that means Goldman will be free to create new yarns rather than remixing the tried and true formula.

Stories like that of Bran the Builder — who erected the Wall, Winterfell and Storm’s End — could add new layers to the experiences of his namesake Bran or the other Starks. Plus, fans may finally be able to see the fabled Ice Spiders from Old Nan’s stories.

Looks pretty much a British main cast and a bit more diverse than GoT. The cast looks strong and should avoid the casting duds that occurred in GoT.

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
If you think this can't get any worse than season 7/8 then you haven't been paying attention.

Classical Mechanic

If you think this can't get any worse than season 7/8 then you haven't been paying attention.
I think it has better scope for control though as the narrative is in the hands of the writers from the outset. That doesn't mean they'll come up with anything quality of course but they shouldn't end up being overtaken by the scale of the show.

Moby

Dick
Also isn't this supposed to be mainly about the northern houses who are all white people in GoT. Seems to be a few black actors in that cast.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
As I said in the GOT thread. The eventual insignificance of the Night King and White Walkers put to bed any interest I might have had in their back story so I hope it’s nothing to do with them.

Classical Mechanic

Also isn't this supposed to be mainly about the northern houses who are all white people in GoT. Seems to be a few black actors in that cast.
I think there was always going to be more diversity in subsequent franchises. There are minority actors in many UK period shows now even though there were no minority representation in the eras the shows are set in. I think any reservations about historical accuracy are soon forgotten if the actors are good at their job.

GoT is a fantasy show, however. There is no historical precedent to draw from so there's not much to read into it I don't think.

Samid

At least we're done with Dumb&Dumber. It's the only joy I can find in all this misery.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Strong cast anyway - great to hear it is being filmed in Norn Iron again - it has been MASSIVE for our country.

Classical Mechanic

Strong cast anyway - great to hear it is being filmed in Norn Iron again - it has been MASSIVE for our country.
My folks were in Dubrovnik recently. They were saying it was a massive industry over there now too. My mum even did the 'walk of shame' which she had no clue as to what it actually was.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
My folks were in Dubrovnik recently. They were saying it was a massive industry over there now too. My mum even did the 'walk of shame' which she had no clue as to what it actually was.
Yeah my sister-in-law was there last month and said the same thing - it has been just huge for tourism here.

Cloud7

Here’s hoping they do a better job with the night king in this.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
As I said in the GOT thread. The eventual insignificance of the Night King and White Walkers put to bed any interest I might have had in their back story so I hope it’s nothing to do with them.
Aye, they shot themselves in the foot. I have zero interest for this.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Obviously looking forward to this. I honestly just want to be back in George's world again. Expecting the first season to be slightly shrouded by the original series but I hope it pulls a Better Call Saul and becomes its own thing once the characters are established. Don't much see the point of them focusing on the White Walkers myself, now we know how their story ends - would honestly prefer them to focus on Essos given how much of its history was essentially erased from Game of Thrones (maybe Valyria?) - but I'll take anything from this universe and drink the fecking Kool Aid.

Samid

Obviously looking forward to this. I honestly just want to be back in George's world again. Expecting the first season to be slightly shrouded by the original series but I hope it pulls a Better Call Saul and becomes its own thing once the characters are established. Don't much see the point of them focusing on the White Walkers myself, now we know how their story ends. Would honestly prefer them to focus on Essos given how much of its history was essentially erased from Game of Thrones - maybe the Doom of Valyria or something? - but I'll take anything from this universe and drink the fecking Kool Aid.
Mods the filming is underway, threadban this guy already just to be on the safer side.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Sounds shit but it's Game of Thrones so obviously I'll end up fecking watching it.

If it's set during the time of the first men, not sure how they're going to fit so much diversity in. How does it remotely work that random black characters will just be chilling in the far North of Westeros, unless they go with a multiple character arc thing set in different places.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Sounds shit but it's Game of Thrones so obviously I'll end up fecking watching it.

If it's set during the time of the first men, not sure how they're going to fit so much diversity in. How does it remotely work that random black characters will just be chilling in the far North of Westeros, unless they go with a multiple character arc thing set in different places.
Think you're right that they'll go for a multiple character/location thing.

Although, the First Men did come to Westeros from Essos, and basically everyone we've seen from Essos in Game of Thrones has been non-white, so they could explain that way? Maybe over 10,000 years or so the genes of the Andals and the Rhoynar were blended with that of the First Men, which meant that by the time of Ned Stark, etc. white skin was dominant in Westeros as far south as King's Landing?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Think you're right that they'll go for a multiple character/location thing.

Although, the First Men did come to Westeros from Essos, and basically everyone we've seen from Essos in Game of Thrones has been non-white, so they could explain that way? Maybe over 10,000 years or so the genes of the Andals and the Rhoynar were blended with that of the First Men, which meant that by the time of Ned Stark, etc. white skin was dominant in Westeros as far south as King's Landing?
I think multiple locations is a more plausible idea. Not as many as GoT originally had, but maybe a few different perspectives and storylines.

Jig1234

I hope Ramin Djawadi is on board. He is the one aspect of Game of Thrones that delivered consistently. Incredible music scores throughout.

Sylar

One of my work mates who lives in N.Ireland stumbled upon the set and there was hardly any security (pollnagollum cave). But eventually got moved on as some of the bigger stars started coming :lol:

Interested to see how long this goes for. Is it a one off season? Or a multi-season deal?

Hammerfell

Obviously looking forward to this. I honestly just want to be back in George's world again. Expecting the first season to be slightly shrouded by the original series but I hope it pulls a Better Call Saul and becomes its own thing once the characters are established. Don't much see the point of them focusing on the White Walkers myself, now we know how their story ends - would honestly prefer them to focus on Essos given how much of its history was essentially erased from Game of Thrones (maybe Valyria?) - but I'll take anything from this universe and drink the fecking Kool Aid.
I bet you can't wait for those spoilers to drop.

Chairman Steve

As long as they get back to what the GRRM ethos of World of Ice and Fire is, and not have DWAGONS N FITEIN all the time.

I'm wondering how much creative freedom the creators of this have. I fear too much could be a detriment and it could end up being the generic Tolkien-like fantasy show that GRRM wanted to avoid.

Revan

Assumptionman
https://time.com/5553873/game-of-thrones-prequel-cast-release-date/

Cast

• Naomi Watts.
  • Josh Whitehouse
  • Naomi Ackie
  • Denise Gough
  • Jamie Campbell Bower
  • Sheila Atim
  • Ivanno Jeremiah
  • Georgie Henley
  • John Simm
Being filmed in Northern Ireland

Synopsis (?)

The Long Night plot, as described by Martin in the books, closely mirrors the plot of the current Game of Thrones TV show: The White Walkers invade. A human hero emerges to stop them. Hopefully, when HBO says that the story of the Long Night isn’t the one we think we know, that means Goldman will be free to create new yarns rather than remixing the tried and true formula.

Stories like that of Bran the Builder — who erected the Wall, Winterfell and Storm’s End — could add new layers to the experiences of his namesake Bran or the other Starks. Plus, fans may finally be able to see the fabled Ice Spiders from Old Nan’s stories.

Looks pretty much a British main cast and a bit more diverse than GoT. The cast looks strong and should avoid the casting duds that occurred in GoT.
To be fair, GoT had a very strong cast. Just that Stark kids (with exception of Arya and Robb) and Targaryans were a bit shit. But hard to know when it comes to kids.

Sylar

To be fair, GoT had a very strong cast. Just that Stark kids (with exception of Arya and Robb) and Targaryans were a bit shit. But hard to know when it comes to kids.
Its funny cos I thought Bran was decent until season 4 / middle of s6.
And Jon (if he counts) was great until season 7.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Its funny cos I thought Bran was decent until season 4 / middle of s6.
And Jon (if he counts) was great until season 7.
Good characters maybe but pretty meh actors overall.

Richard Madden would've been a way better Jon. Bet they wished they reversed their roles.

Classical Mechanic

They ended up as the lead roles though. Most of the actors with gravitas and presence were killed off.

Sylar

Good characters maybe but pretty meh actors overall.
I actually thought, kinda the opposite towards the end, in terms of the characters pretty much became zombielike.

Bran im not sure what anybody else could have done with what was given. But before then, I thought the kid did a good job until he reached the cave. Unless he was just better as a young actor compared to when puberty hit :lol:

Same with Jon given the lines provided in the last two seasons (although agree Madden is a better actor given what weve seen outside of GoT) compared to first five or six seasons. Thought the acting upto that point was enjoyable.

For comparison sake, even Arya basically became one-tone until the last half of the penultimate episode. If I only watched the last three seasons id be thinking Maisie is a terrible.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Makes sense, seemed pointless to me.

The prequel on the Targaryen's looks a far better concept anyway. Plenty of material to work with

Cloud7

Just realized John Simm was going to be on this. That would have been really cool. Loved him as the master.

evil_geko

There were two prequels ordered, the other one is still a go "House of the Dragon".