Gareth Bale | Golfer, ex-Footballer, Elbower of racists, Philosopher, Golf Ambassador, Bar Owner, Real Legend, Defibrillator

Deery

Dreary
The lesson from all of this, if a player looks like he is finished, if a player isnt scoring like he used to, if a player isnt assisting like he used to and is actively having arguements with his board/manager/coaches chances are he WON'T be back to normal once his manager/coach/board situation is resolved. We saw it with Sanchez and we have seen it with Bale. The excuse made for sanchez was that he wasnt interested in playing for arsenal anymore and that is why his performances were terrible for atleast 6 months - 12 months prior to his transfer. Bale much the same, terrible performances but oh if he leaves real he might refind form. No.

This is a lesson for all of us. Older pro's once they get off the train tracks, dont often come back on the train tracks
100%. People think players can suddenly go back to their peaks but it’s never going to happen. Them and their agents will pull the wool over your eyes when both know they are finished..

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Remember when everybody took the piss that bale chose spurs over us? (Even though I doubt we wanted him)

Look who’s laughing now :lol:

RonaldoVII

Thought it was fairly obvious that this loan move would be a disaster and just glad that we managed to stay away from this one. However, I was wrong about Cavani so can't win them all :wenger:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I disagree. He wasn’t good for 8 straight years. I think 11-14 he was top class. His Madrid spell was a disaster.
It wasn't though. He was injured a lot but when he played he was amazing. Until the 18/19 season...

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We have heard plenty about footballer who outside their job have no interest in football. He just happened to be very good at it. Maybe now his skills are diminishing he is really not bothered. I think he will just retire, to be honest any other club will be mad to take him on. Just retire and enjoy your golf and family.

United Junkie

I disagree. He wasn’t good for 8 straight years. I think 11-14 he was top class. His Madrid spell was a disaster.
No way man. When he was 100% fit and pain free he was cutting apart defenses like there's no tomorrow. He wont be much discussed in the history books of Madrid but he did plenty of good stuff there.

United Junkie

RM may just pay his last year of the contract in the summer to get rid, what would be next, retirement and become a full-time golfer? A few years in China/MLS?
I think a guy like him would love it in a place like Florida. I could actually see him settle there permanently with the wife and kids and playing golf non stop.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Mourinho seems done with him. His comment that the team had a different character in the last 30 mins is interesting considering Bale was subbed off with 30 mins to go

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I always liked Bale and I hope to see him find his old form at Tottenham. Son and Kane have their positions nailed down. The right side was wide open for Bale to make his own but he just isn't the same player anymore. Such a shame. He started his career as a LB, perhaps he should finish his career as a LB as well...

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I always liked Bale and I hope to see him find his old form at Tottenham. Son and Kane have their positions nailed down. The right side was wide open for Bale to make his own but he just isn't the same player anymore. Such a shame. He started his career as a LB, perhaps he should finish his career as a LB as well...
Good shout, but the question is whether he'd want to. He's had a much more stellar career than say Valencia and Milner who made a happier transition to help their team and careers.He doesn't need to worry about that as much

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I always found it weird that Bale played on the RW.

He doesnt seem like that player that was deadly as a LB turning in to a LW.

I guess RW had to be done at Madrid because of Ronaldo.

Since his pace has gone he got used more centrally at Wales aswell.

RW makes his weaknesses come out in my opinion because I never really saw him as this inverted forward with amazing skills when dribbling inside to beat a man.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Good shout, but the question is whether he'd want to. He's had a much more stellar career than say Valencia and Milner who made a happier transition to help their team and careers.He doesn't need to worry about that as much
For sure, but if he wants to play (which is also questionable) then he may need to transform his game as well. Let's face it, it's not like there's a lot of competition for a starting space on the right wing for Tottenham yet he hasn't been able to make that spot his own...

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I thought he was shite at left back when he was young

tomaldinho1

Remember when everybody took the piss that bale chose spurs over us? (Even though I doubt we wanted him)

Look who’s laughing now :lol:
United were never in for him with Ole - that was the biggest relief for me with Jose leaving and Woodward completely changing how we recruit. No more Bale and/or Gaitan rumours. Bale was coming to OT every single summer for at least 5 years, was literally reprint after rehash of the same article and somehow a certainty United wanted him because another Welsh player with a great left foot is a Legend for us and is also Bale's manager. It was the epitome of lazy journalism.

troylocker

A disaster? Really?

Here's his Real Madrid contributions playing mainly as a winger:

13/14 season Played 3329 minutes - 22 goals 19 assists
14/15 season Played 4038 minutes - 17 goals 12 assists
15/16 season Played 2382 minutes - 19 goals 15 assists
16/17 season Played 1936 minutes - 9 goals 6 assists
17/18 season Played 2362 minutes - 21 goals 7 assists
18/19 season Played 2619 minutes - 14 goals 7 assists
19/20 season Played 1260 minutes - 3 goals 2 assists

A goalcontribution every 100 minutes through his 7 seasons (105 goals and 68 assists total for RM)
Winning LaLiga twice
CL 4 times
Copa del Rey and Super Copa once each
UEFA Super cup twice
World club Cup 3 times.
Scoring a worldie winning goals in a CL final.

He did have some dry periods, struggled with injuries and seemed to lack motivation in the end, but his spell at RM was pretty far from a disaster.

Who would want that RM career when they could spend 7 years winning exactly nothing with Spurs in the same period?

Last edited:

RedDevil@84

I disagree. He did good at Real. He probably did not deserve the long big money deal, given he had started getting injured. But he wasn't a disaster.

Pagh Wraith

The lesson from all of this, if a player looks like he is finished, if a player isnt scoring like he used to, if a player isnt assisting like he used to and is actively having arguements with his board/manager/coaches chances are he WON'T be back to normal once his manager/coach/board situation is resolved. We saw it with Sanchez and we have seen it with Bale. The excuse made for sanchez was that he wasnt interested in playing for arsenal anymore and that is why his performances were terrible for atleast 6 months - 12 months prior to his transfer. Bale much the same, terrible performances but oh if he leaves real he might refind form. No.

This is a lesson for all of us. Older pro's once they get off the train tracks, dont often come back on the train tracks
The lesson is general should be to not sign anyone over say 27 on big contracts unless they're truly elite or money is not an issue at the club. It is just so difficult to move these players on later. Özil and Sanchez should be on everyone's mind. But even Sigurðsson at Everton is a good example. Granted, Bale is just a loanee but still. Not sure what Spurs were hoping for.

GoldanoGraham

When they are paying him part of a huge wage, the team is playing dreadful, creating nothing and Jose still won’t use him - says it all really.

Does Bale seem concerned or aggrieved?

Doesn’t seem to give a shit - should be banging down the managers door demanding to play more.....

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City
I thought he was shite at left back when he was young
He nearly joined my club Birmingham under Alex McLeish, who apparently was inside he was worth the 3mill fee

He would never have seen the oppositions half of the pitch again if he’d joined us.

Jaxa

Damn he’s only 31 :eek:

this guy is supposed to be in his prime, with easily 3-4 years left in him at the top level but is clearly so checked out mentally and has fallen out of love with the game !

does his Madrid contract end after this season ? If not no way do Madrid keep him, they’ll be begging a Chinese/Qatari club to take him off there hands for free, in which he will be able to apply minimal effort and spend his free time playing golf, such a shame as well because he was genuinely world class!

el3mel

this guy is supposed to be in his prime, with easily 3-4 years left in him at the top level but is clearly so checked out mentally and has fallen out of love with the game !

does his Madrid contract end after this season ? If not no way do Madrid keep him, they’ll be begging a Chinese/Qatari club to take him off there hands for free, in which he will be able to apply minimal effort and spend his free time playing golf, such a shame as well because he was genuinely world class!
The Spurs move was supposed to be the one to get him back interested in the sport but it proved Zidane was right, he's not interested in football anymore at all bar collecting his salaries every week.

Zen

Why would you think this of a speedy winger outside of Giggs/Ronaldo? Neither of whom even had the injuries to stifle their transitions....

People are going to age better going forward, but injuries are still going to play massive parts in not allowing it.

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City

The guy get ‘3 average priced houses’ every week! I’m not accusing Bale of any wrongdoing, but he’s like a former great boxer who has been busted on the juice, and is now a shell.