Garnacho signs until 2028!

telstar96

100%. Address the other positions that aren't performing up to par first. That would be:
  1. CF
  2. GK
  3. RB
  5. RW
The parts of our team that are working or performing up to the required level from a starting 11 perspective are LW, AM, DM, LB and CB x2. So it's half the starting 11 that needs to up their level before we start looking at any of the positions that are actually performing. That's ignoring depth which plays a massive part too. Obviously some like Antony have big potential, but let's not pretend like he's performed anywhere close to Rashfords level this season, and others like RB have been decent and we could probably get by anyway. But Rashford has basically been a 1 man goal threat all season.
I agree with the order you've listed. Maybe I've not explained myself well enough. I'm not necessarily saying lets buy a LW now. It's more that if we offer Rashford a new deal (since his runs out very soon), we're unlikely to improve in that position full stop. I think this has been an issue for United, locking players into massive contracts without foreseeing what may be needed 2-3 years down the line. I also personally believe Rashford would struggle against a low block, and Ten Hag's future image for this side would see us playing against a lot of low blocks.

Donut

:lol: Thanks for this, haven’t laughed like this in awhile.

Excellent news, I was beginning to be a bit afraid since it’s been reported that he’s about to sign for the past six months.

Robertd0803

Delighted with this. Was worried he would get away from us but this is great news.

NoPace

We need more than one player per position, as this season has painfully showed us. Plenty of games for both.
Yeah, we have 2 starting attacking players (Rashford at LW or #9, Antony at RW) and then a bunch of question marks. Even if we sign an expensive #9 and Garnacho breaks out next year, that's only 4 attacking guys for 3 spots, which is really the minimum for a contending side.

His competition isn't really Rashford yet, it's Martial (and his health) and Sancho. Rashford and Antony are first choice and then everyone else is competing and trying to stay healthy. If Garnacho is the best player in training for the next few weeks and scores a couple goals off the bench, there's really no reason he can't start the cup final or be the first attacking option off the bench, for instance.

I think this probably slightly raises the odds of Martial being the backup #9 next year and we only sign one striker:

ST: Shiny new #9, Martial, Rashford
LW: Rashford, Garnacho, Sancho
RW: Antony, Amad, Sancho

7 guys for 3 spots, though ideally we'd have an exciting young striker prospect like Mainoo, so maybe we sign a young prospect to develop there or keep Weghorst for another year or some other weird cheap loan of a backup 9.

Last edited:

Member 125398

I agree with the order you've listed. Maybe I've not explained myself well enough. I'm not necessarily saying lets buy a LW now. It's more that if we offer Rashford a new deal (since his runs out very soon), we're unlikely to improve in that position full stop. I think this has been an issue for United, locking players into massive contracts without foreseeing what may be needed 2-3 years down the line. I also personally believe Rashford would struggle against a low block, and Ten Hag's future image for this side would see us playing against a lot of low blocks.
This probably belongs in the Rashford thread but he's one of the best players in Europe.

Alemar

Excellent news. Was really worried about him leaving for one of the Spanish teams
He still may in the future - but for a very big fee if it happens. But hopefully he won’t

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
He'll be the first young player we've had post Fergie that's had a (hopefully anyway) a consistent structure in terms of a manager and coaching set up. He's gonna be great.

Belisarius

Now we're free to slap a big for sale sign on Sancho.
I think we'll keep Sancho for one more season. But, this adds to the pressure on him. Sancho needs to start producing goals and assists and performing consistently well very soon or he's going to get pushed well down the depth chart (behind a new striker, behind Garnacho, possibly behind Martial and/or Greenwood if either is here next season) and his minutes will dwindle.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Great news that he has committed his long term future. Our left wing is set with Rashy and Garnacho. I pray that Amad comes back into the fold and our right wing is resolved. We need 2 CF, 2 MF and 1 CB. I don't think we need a new RB, RB can be address following season as I think AWB will further improve. Fantastic news!

Abraxas

Excellent. All the talent is there, he goes past people so naturally and has the confidence to be a player at this level. But he does need a heck of a lot of work with his efficiency, being a team player, off the ball. The usual stuff for an unpolished winger. Hopefully with this manager we can help him fulfil his potential.

El Jefe

Great news. He's our second best attacker if we don't include Greenwood so it was vital we got him on a long term deal.

His development will be exciting. No doubt there will be bumps along the way but I see a top player in him.

meamth

Until what age will he realised that shaving eyebrows like that is goofy?

Great news for the club. One of the future stars in football.

Dance If You Wanna Dance

Fantastic news. The kid has the potential to be a truly special talent. He has the confidence and arrogance to wear the the number 7 shirt. He can carry the weight of expectation.