Garth Crooks

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I always wonder with these people, are they that stupid, entrenched in their views or just desperate to push an agenda?

I give Garth the benefit of the doubt that he really is that stupid because he’s been consistently moronic for years now.

lewwoo

The man is a utter moron. Utd have more academy players in and around the first team than any other premiership club by quite some distance. Dont let that stop you spouting bullshit though garth. Why is he not concerned about the chances of chelsea or city youth players?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I always wonder with these people, are they that stupid, entrenched in their views or just desperate to push an agenda?

I give Garth the benefit of the doubt that he really is that stupid because he’s been consistently moronic for years now.
Was thinking exactly the same.
Is he a moron or pretending to be one?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Guys like Crooks getting column inches is very wrong and highlights stupidity in the media.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I could potentially understand it more if the point was about England players not playing enough in the lead up to the world cup, but even then, Rashford actually really needed a break from the team, and Lingard has been one of the main beneficiaries, so this problem is really elsewhere.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
What a stupid statement. How many kids of his age have had the chance to play that many games for a club like Manchester United?

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Crooks regularly shits on United in some form, it's clearly a deep seeded hatred stemming from his loan move to us being a failure and not getting him a perm move to our club.

Grande

What a stupid statement. How many kids of his age have had the chance to play that many games for a club like Manchester United?
Fascinating. So as attacking players Mourinho has Rashford, Lingard, Martial and Pogba who all were 18 in a Utd shirt.

And then Mata and Lukaku whom he alledgedly has allready choked. And Alexis Sanchez.

I’m assuming Crooks point is that merely playing Alexis Sanchez is tantamount to squeezing the life out of youth’?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Fascinating. So as attacking players Mourinho has Rashford, Lingard, Martial and Pogba who all were 18 in a Utd shirt.

And then Mata and Lukaku whom he alledgedly has allready choked. And Alexis Sanchez.

I’m assuming Crooks point is that merely playing Alexis Sanchez is tantamount to squeezing the life out of youth’?
There must be a real talent involved that Garth Crooks manages to surpass himself each week for stupidity.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
It's fecking criminal that people can go through school, college, university as well as pick up tonnes of work experience in sports journalism and never get a sniff at a BBC Football job whereas he stinks up the place once a week with his shocking column.

Nickosaur

It gets better. The last few sentences from that article.

If Mourinho continues to insist on Rashford and Lingard remaining on the bench then they should leave United. It may break their hearts but they cannot afford to stick around a moment longer.

England needs them.
feck off Crooks, you're a moron.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Mourinho can't win with Crooks.

How interesting, that for all of Mourinho's spending power, he still has to rely on Young and Valencia, two United veterans, to shore up his defence. Strange that.
Not really sure what his point is here. Their selections have continually been justified. Surely the credit goes to the players for keeping younger players out of the team with their performances? Is Crooks wanting Mourinho to go spend big on full backs?

I've never seen Crooks add a "Crooks of the matter" caveat at the bottom of his team of the week. It's just an additional couple of paragraphs to repeat what he's already moaned about United/Mourinho. Rashford and Lingard are both in our top 11 for minutes played, which indicates they are key players.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Does the BBC & Sky assume that everyone watching is English? Well they shouldn't.

SteveCoppellFan

Garth Crooks has been getting on my nerves for years, most of the time i just have to switch channels.

There is not a pundit quite like him as far as I'm concerned, he almost makes Jamie Redknapp look ok at times.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLastQuestion

Supports
Stevenage
This is the worst part for me:
Didn't it occur to West Brom players the time and space they were giving Mahrez to chip the ball so perfectly on to Vardy's right foot? Well they do now and while they're at it they can also have a good look where they are in the table.
He gets paid to write this bollocks?!

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Does anyone remember when he used to present Dispatch Box on BBC Two in the late nineties?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

I think it is a mixture of the 1st two.

I come away having watched a lot of punditry that the pundit speaking actually doesn't watch that much football and probably doesn't have much idea about the teams or players they're speaking about.

I also think people develop quite rapid impressions and then it will take a sustained period of time and overwhelming evidence before they will change their opinions.

DDG I think is a prime example, who carried the reputation of how he was in his 1st season especially for a long time, even when it had become quite clear to those who were actually watching him that he'd gotten over that and had become a very solid keeper.

Crooks has some of the weirdest intonations while speaking that I've ever heard in the English language as well. He stresses at completely random points.

Josep Dowling

I find it amazing how he is a pundit. I don’t actually know anyone that likes him.

Every time he writes about a United player on his team of the week, he ends up as a backhanded compliment or moaning about Mourinho. I wish Jose would respond to some of his nonsense like he does with Neville and Scholes

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Obsessed indeed. You’d expect a football writer to at least have the basics down wrt the positions their subject(s) play. But he seemingly gets paid but doesn’t even have the professionalism to get that right. SMH.

His surname couldn’t be more apt.

AndyJ1985

I doubt Saint Pep would have Lingard and Rashford on the bench, let alone start them like Mourinho has. But it's Mourinho who keeps getting the stick for destroying youth. fecking hell

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He writes articles which he knows people will reply to, not necessarily correct factual articles
I'd usually agree but I'm not sure that's the case with Garth. I think he's genuinely very dim.

Infra-red

The Katie Hopkins of the football world. Just ignore him and his obviously ludicrous click-bate opinions and he'll simply disappear.

Red Royal

Crooks has just put Valencia and Jones (as well as Rashford) in his team of the week !!!

Now I thonk the PL standards have dropped but surely he could have found a better CB and RB then those two.

Last edited: