Gary Neville in Qatar - Documantary about the World Cup

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

I like what he does at around 16min 30seconds, going into the areas he wants rather than the ones officials suggest, speaking to the workers and getting them to promise refunds of agent fees on camera. Feck knows if they will stick to their words in that small example, but it's really sad how the workers are treated, what their rights are and how they can't even leave for another job.

The main stadium is only going to be built for the 4 weeks of the tournament, before being torn up and converted into something else!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
But Sky aren't political :cool:

P.s. thanks for sharing, will watch later.
They all are.. Everything is political:nervous:

But without trying to get too granular it's a decent documentary covering logistics, the stadiums themselves, migrant workers, alcohol in Qatar, getting to and from stadiums in high traffic etc.

Warlord

Supports
Liverpool
I heard a report on talksport where the journalist covering the Club World Cup was on and he said no way is Qatar equipped to host a tournament for 32 different countries and set of fans. There's only 35,000 hotel rooms and not enough bars/venues. He said it's too small and their will be many difficulties (Qatar is the size of Yorkshire)

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Good watch, but perhaps didn't go far enough in pressing the Qatari authorities about the issues. To be fair, you were never going to get that from Gary Neville.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I heard a report on talksport where the journalist covering the Club World Cup was on and he said no way is Qatar equipped to host a tournament for 32 different countries and set of fans. There's only 35,000 hotel rooms and not enough bars/venues. He said it's too small and their will be many difficulties (Qatar is the size of Yorkshire)
We all know it was sheer corruption that saw it end up at Qatar anyway.

Changing the months is the biggest disgrace. They bid for it as a summer tournament, yet were somehow allowed to mess with all of the European leagues.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
We can't disprove the official death count of 3, so I'll just choose to believe in people? Wtf was that segment's ending.

Josh 76

Good watch.
Gary Neville always comes across as a decent guy. (But don't always Agree with his views on Utd).

stevoc

Looks like a fine piece of propaganda for Qatar, i'm sure Neville was carefully guided around. It was funny though that Neville was shocked by the workers living conditions when the ones he was shown around were obviously some of the nicest they had. Most of the migrant workers the last 8-9 years have been forced to live in places like this.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Just touched on it really. It's pretty disgusting what's happening there and it was even more disgusting to hear the likes of Klopp just completely dodge the issue.

These stadiums are being built specifically for these football teams to play in. The power is completely in the hands of football (i.e. any team at the world cup or due to play in Qatar) to make a stand and put a stop to what is happening.

I actually find it quite difficult to comprehend how you can know that scores of people were killed and treated like slaves/prisoners just so you could play a game of football in a stadium, and not feel a moral responsibility towards that if you choose not to say or do anything about it. You could just refuse to play there and immediately the issue HAS to be addressed.

Safety standards being ignored, or accidents happening or things being rushed is one thing. You can square that off on the organisers and expect them to deal with it, without it being your problem. Systematic cruelty on the other hand isn't really something any moral person should ignore.