Gary Neville - Pundit

Jamie Shawcross

As a die hard United fan, I obviously have loads of time for ex players but I have run out of patience with Gary Neville. When he first burst onto the punditry scene he tried too hard with his impartiality and quickly just turned into someone who constantly stuck the knife into us at every given opportunity. I used to think "calm down Gary, we get it you can't be biased" but the thing is, it seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Everything that seems to come from the guy regarding our club is negative, always wanting to level us when things seem to be going alright. His latest article on sky sports news about it being "bizarre" that we are third is just the straw that's broken the camels back for me. Why is it bizzare? One minute the table doesn't lie, next minute he's perplexed as to how we are third. Its the results Gary, the points tally. He always seems to want to knock us down a peg. Am I barking up the wrong tree here or what? Can't remember the last time he said something that showed his love for the club. Perhaps he's bitter because the super sub is doing a decent job at a big club whilst he nearly sent Valencia down.

Maybe I am overthinking it, but its one thing after the next with him. It hurts.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
He does seem eager to put us down a lot. Annoying and weird.

His stance on Covid is increasingly damaging and self centred also.

RedTiger

Half mast
As a die hard United fan, I obviously have loads of time for ex players but I have run out of patience with Gary Neville. When he first burst onto the punditry scene he tried too hard with his impartiality and quickly just turned into someone who constantly stuck the knife into us at every given opportunity. I used to think "calm down Gary, we get it you can't be biased" but the thing is, it seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Everything that seems to come from the guy regarding our club is negative, always wanting to level us when things seem to be going alright. His latest article on sky sports news about it being "bizarre" that we are third is just the straw that's broken the camels back for me. Why is it bizzare? One minute the table doesn't lie, next minute he's perplexed as to how we are third. Its the results Gary, the points tally. He always seems to want to knock us down a peg. Am I barking up the wrong tree here or what? Can't remember the last time he said something that showed his love for the club. Perhaps he's bitter because the super sub is doing a decent job at a big club whilst he nearly sent Valencia down.

Maybe I am overthinking it, but its one thing after the next with him. It hurts.
Honestly mate, just forget him.

macheda14

His views are really not far off where the majority of fans’ views are. We haven’t been playing that well, we’ve been dire at home and start every game away really poorly. We’re a really odd team, but still doing very well. Not the craziest view point.

vodrake

He's clearly a huge fan, but he's the kind of negative, overly invested fan who spends his time in the match day thread moaning and having a meltdown over every misplaced pass

Last edited:

eire-red

He's just trying too hard not to be biased. I don't think we should judge him on the few hours a week he spends playing a role for Sky Sports. It's a job after all.

I'm sure he's got just as much satisfaction as the next United fan watching Leeds get spanked.

Jamie Shawcross

He's just doing his job, trying to as impartial as possible.
I totally understand the need for him to be impartial, but does that really mean he has to go the other way? You don't have to constantly criticise to be impartial! He's not always wrong either, but he seems well too keen to have a pop.

Jamie Shawcross

Definitely over thinking it, if anything he's keeping the players motivated but he's not wrong. In the article he says we won't win the league
We aren't going to win the league, but there's nothing confusing about how we are in our current position. Give us some credit where its due, we are in good form. Table doesn't lie. Don't want to read ex players hinting that we don't deserve our league position. Its odd.

Jamie Shawcross

His views are really not far off where the majority of fans’ views are. We haven’t been playing that well, we’ve been dire at home and start every game away really poorly. We’re a really odd team, but still doing very well. Not the craziest view point.
Very true, fair points. However we are getting results. Its a results game. There's nothing remotely bizarre about our standing. Wasn't bizarre to him when we were languishing in mid table but suddenly he can't comprehend our position. We are winning games.

Can7onA

Gary Neville was a red, he's semi tolerant of people that live in or near the City of Liverpool.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Still love him - he tries too hard to be impartial. He obviously loves the club too.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

It's bizarre because we got utterly tonked at home by Palace and Tottenham and had 4 points from 6 home games before yesterday.
On that level it's pretty amazing we've managed to turn it round to get to third.

Jamie Shawcross

It's bizarre because we got utterly tonked at home by Palace and Tottenham and had 4 points from 6 home games before yesterday.
On that level it's pretty amazing we've managed to turn it round to get to third.
I remember liverpool being battered 7-2 not so long ago but how quickly thats forgotten. Truth is we are showing improvement in the league and we are in great form, when will it not be bizarre? What do we have to do? Its not that weird. Bizarre is hysterical.

RedChisel

It's like listening to that Goldbridge fella. Every slight negative is jumped on and blown way out of proportion. He barely ever gives us any credit and seems to put most of our wins down to the opposition being poor.

macheda14

Very true, fair points. However we are getting results. Its a results game. There's nothing remotely bizarre about our standing. Wasn't bizarre to him when we were languishing in mid table but suddenly he can't comprehend our position. We are winning games.
I mean I think we’re all surprised to be where we are. And we all think we’re a bizarre side. Why have we been so so poor at home? Why do we have to go behind in all our away games? Until like 2 games ago, we’ve pretty roundly criticised how we’re playing. You’re pretty much just criticising his language not the sentiment. We’re not performing like a title challenging side yet here we are.
I am pretty sure its all to do with demanding restaurants are open etc. He's got his hotel and bars hasn't he.
I think he was more criticising the inconsistency of the government. London has worse cases and was in tier 2, whilst Manchester was tier 3. You’d imagine that with the news of the new strain he probably has changed his mind. He hasn’t for a second condoned the rejection of masks and ignoring of restrictions, he was just making economic arguments against Manchester being under strict restrictions. They were definitely in the service of his own interests but they weren’t particularly damaging.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
He's just doing his job, trying to as impartial as possible.
He fails miserably at it as he's obviously a red at heart but he has to try to please his employers, United fans and everyone which is IMPOSSIBLE!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I remember liverpool being battered 7-2 not so long ago but how quickly thats forgotten. Truth is we are showing improvement in the league and we are in great form, when will it not be bizarre? What do we have to do? Its not that weird. Bizarre is hysterical.
That was a one off. Our home record for 6 games was probably Burnley/Brighton level.

Beat Leicester away in the league next weekend and we might be justified in thinking we can do something this year.

MalcolmTucker

I find him annoying, but it is bizarre that we're the second best performing team this season. We've been so inconsistent and blagged our way to wins, been thrashed by a Mourinho side and only won 2 games at home (i think that is what they said on commentary last night)

SirMarcusRashford

His negative talk on the club (namely how United do business behind the scenes) doesn't help one bit. People don't like a the Glazers but I'm just thankful it wasn't the Neville brothers/Giggs and Scholes who bought the club, which many of United fans wanted, but can you imagine that now?

If it was left to Gary Neville we'd have had 4 years of David Moyes.

Okey

Nah. Gary's alright. As dyed in the wool a Red as the best of us. He's just trying a bit too hard to sound neutral in his job. Even at that, lots of times his true passion still shows through. Probably broke something at home when he finally got the chance to have his delayed celebration.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think people pay too much attention to pundits. Why? They are paid to give an opinion. Doesn’t make them right all the time, no matter what they achieved

TheGame

I am pretty sure its all to do with demanding restaurants are open etc. He's got his hotel and bars hasn't he.
Partly however he has been spot on about Covid, he has been pointing out why different areas with worser infection rates are treated differently in terms of being allowed to open and also the constant u turning by the Government.

Greck

Neville has always had trouble finding an unbiased balance when talking about United. Tell him he's biased and he'll swing so far in the other direction to seem impartial