Gary Neville

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I am glad he suffered a meltdown. Keane did it before him a game or two back. Our fans are sheep who will support this tripe through thick and thin. At least our old guard has our back.

The only thing he pisses me off is his England player's bias. It makes him lose credibility, something we can't afford at this delicate stage of our club.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
For sure he is, but not towards "every English player". He never gives Smalling credit for example. Just constantly complains about all the defenders.

He has a bias towards the players he likes, which probably includes Lingard
And he has players he doesn't like in that United team.

The criticism is laced with so much bias it's hard to take it seriously.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
You can convince yourself of that. If it helps you sleep at night.
I just don’t see him being a ballon d’or contender

How can he change? He’s been crap and barely gets out of second gear for us. Ok he’ll have good players around him but so?

Inigo Montoya

And he has players he doesn't like in that United team.

The criticism is laced with so much bias it's hard to take it seriously.
Don’t we all?
We just don’t like him saying it

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

How can he change? He’s been crap and barely gets out of second gear for us. Ok he’ll have good players around him but so?
Yeah we have never seen Pogba at a club or national team that is expected to win major honors.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

He doesn't need to be a Balon dor contendor to be a success at Madrid.

He's proven it plenty of times at clubs not called us that he has the talent and has even showed how good he is. Heck...hes even showed it here.

I think from a career point of view this was probably the wrong move for him. Other than the money there's little upside to this move.

What I don't get is why such a poor player lile Pogba would be getting such admiring glances from the biggest club in the world. Maybe they see something we don't. And they hardly ever go wrong when they buy from United (except maybe that fool Heinze)

Inigo Montoya

Yeah we have never seen Pogba at a club or national team that is expected to win major honors.
Look I’m a Pogba fan, i like him as a player and what I see of him as a person
I’d love him to do well elsewhere. But he’s been average here for the last 2 months and didn’t even feature against PSG, arguably our biggest win. I really can’t see him suddenly turning it on elsewhere. If he does it shows he’s been cheating the club

Sure RM will always be up there competing but they are a bigger draw than us and will sign the worlds biggest and best players. That’s RM though

Having said that, I’d really like him to stay for one more season and help us through the transition

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The problem is he's supposed to be an impartial pundit. Yet he whines like someone on here trying to get themselves banned from the match day forum. I get that we're shite and it obviously winds him up, but he comes out with some really silly stuff.

Today we had 7 whole minutes where the game had to be stopped entirely because Huddersfield FC decided to do a live chuckle brothers sketch featuring the corner flag, yet it was barely even commented on because Neville was busy having an Arsenal TV style meltdown at the same time. Do your job and comnentate on the game. If you want to rant start an angry man blog or something

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
The problem is he's supposed to be an impartial pundit. Yet he whines like someone on here trying to get themselves banned from the match day forum. I get that we're shite and it obviously winds him up, but he comes out with some really silly stuff.

Today we had 7 whole minutes where the game had to be stopped entirely because Huddersfield FC decided to do a live chuckle brothers sketch featuring the corner flag, yet it was barely even commented on because Neville was busy having an Arsenal TV style meltdown at the same time.
Yeah it is just bad commentary at this point. There is no point having him commentate United matches if he is going to do that everytime.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Most of the stuff he says is spot on about us and was before Mourinho was sacked. He's one ex player that could be useful to have in the club in any rebuild.

RuudTom83

I think he mentioned today (on one specific passage of play) how McTom, Rashford and Pogba we’re walking back!?

Later he gave credit to Pogba and McTom for a pass or two.

He was critical of the defending, mentioned Shaw and Jones were positionally at fault, mentioned Jones having a bed 15 min spell.

So I think today he criticised most of the squad when they made mistakes. Without any bias.

Bojan11

Why doesn’t he have a go at Smalling or Jones? How long they been here and yet serve up tripe every year. Same old excuses for them. Why doesn’t he moan about Lingard or Rashford? It’s all Martial, Sanchez and Pogba.

The club has turned itself into Arsenal. Wenger in his last few years tried to go all British with his signings and it was the worst Arsenal team in his reign.

C'est Moi Cantona

He's just a fan, we had a brief period after Herrera and Chong came on where he said we were doing much better, then we played like crap again so he laid into them, he has had enough like the rest, and was just saying what he felt in that moment, good on him.

Sky must know by now what he's like by now, and are quite happy with it.

ericking

Today we had 7 whole minutes where the game had to be stopped entirely because Huddersfield FC decided to do a live chuckle brothers sketch featuring the corner flag, yet it was barely even commented on because Neville was busy having an Arsenal TV style meltdown at the same time. Do your job and comnentate on the game. If you want to rant start an angry man blog or something
I think this may be deliberate, maybe it helps with ratings or social media mentions- but all the Sky pundits have been much more vocal and open about their club loyalties this past few months, and have made no attempt to hide this.

Reactions: SteveJ

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I think this may be deliberate, maybe it helps with ratings or social media mentions- but all the Sky pundits have been much more vocal and open about their club loyalties this past few months, and have made no attempt to hide this.
I don't mind it to a degree but Neville just moans too much, and he gets a bee in his bonnet over particular things and then wont let them go. It's not limited to United either. This time last year he was the same except with Arsenal. He'd spend the whole game moaning about how bad they were and how something had to be done, then he'd start maoning about their fans if they started booing or chanting against the club...even though he'd spent the whole game basically doing the same thing despite not even being an Arsenal fan.

He's also obsessed with getting angry about players "just walking about"...even in scenarios where none of them have any reason to run anywhere.

Ludens the Red

Glad he let it out. You know it’ll be all over social media just like when Keane went on the rampage and you know all the twats out there on the pitch today will be on their social media accounts later, maybe these home truths will help long term. Neville is usually too nice when it comes to United, watching him clutch at straws after the city game whilst Keane told it like it was, was a bit cringe. That performance today was disgraceful no point buttering it up.

To be fair to Neville he's been fairly neutral towards the club since SAF retired.He's been relatively sensible on his view regarding the clubs management acquisitions and general club structure,especially when it was coming under huge criticism as far back as LVG first season with us.
Now though Neville watches us and he's just riding on the waves of emotion.He's hit a point where he's just fed-up.Yeah,he's going to spout some nonsense along the way but there's a alot of care and fear in his comments with regards to the clubs continual fall from grace.

Loublaze

ATLien
He's as annoying as the worst posters on this forum. The team is obviously not playing well enough, but its childish to suggest theres nothing at all in the squad thats worth keeping. He can do that shit on football manager, thats not how you run a football club. And his Valencia team were even worse to watch so he's also a bit of a hypocrite.

It really seems like the only part of the club he liked was Mourinho and since then he's been bitter
He's an idiot and keeps changing the goalposts to suit his narrative. He supported Mourinho and blamed the players, but after Mourinho's dismissal and Ole's caretaker appointment he said United should never appoint someone who's coaching philosophy doesn't adhere to the club's traditions. He has no clue

Cristiano Arrogantaldo

Supports
Real Madrid
He or Rio would make a good DoF n on the plus side they know what the club is about. Bayern been doing this all the time with former players. Dortmund as well to a smaller extent.

crossy1686

career ending
He's an idiot and keeps changing the goalposts to suit his narrative. He supported Mourinho and blamed the players, but after Mourinho's dismissal and Ole's caretaker appointment he said United should never appoint someone who's coaching philosophy doesn't adhere to the club's traditions. He has no clue
Neville's not stupid and I think we forget that he's probably well connected with the club behind the scene's. He'll know all the silliness that's going on amongst the players but can't say anything direct without incriminating his sources.

crossy1686

career ending
He or Rio would make a good DoF n on the plus side they know what the club is about. Bayern been doing this all the time with former players. Dortmund as well to a smaller extent.
Neville has too many media and other business commitments to be effective for us. He can't be down at Salford every weekend instead of out scouting.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I didn't like his commentary today but the bit I didn't like was when he was praising when we did do something remotely resembling football, like Pogba's header or his shot that hit the bar. Or the passing that lead to Maya's shot that went wide. It was such hollow praise :lol:

Josh 76

Why do we keep falling in the same trap. Trying to hire great players for roles they know feck all about.
Who is Liverpool or Man City DOF? It's not Steven Gerrard or Yare Toure. Were Pep or Klopp legends for City and Liverpool as players?
We need to move away from sentimental shit and ex players who are good pundits.
Once Ole resigns or gets sacked, go and get the next Pep or Klopp, hire the best DOF from around Europe (this will be easier as doubling their wages won't be an issue) then start from their. If it takes 4 or 5 years....lets start now. Liverpool and Spurs did it. So why can't we.
I'm sick of of everything to do with Utd at the moment. And I'm sick of supporting City so those fecking Scousers don't win anything!

hn4manunited

I actually really enjoy Gary and his punditry. I don’t mind any of our ex players who wear their emotions on their sleeves and see the real issues at our club. Roy is also another I don’t mind listening to. He might be a bit over the top sometimes but he’s speaking his mind. Paul is a bit off the mark because he comes from a different angle different from a management point of view. Rio however skirts the tough topics and says what people wants to hear.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Why do we keep falling in the same trap. Trying to hire great players for roles they know feck all about.
Who is Liverpool or Man City DOF? It's not Steven Gerrard or Yare Toure. Were Pep or Klopp legends for City and Liverpool as players?
We need to move away from sentimental shit and ex players who are good pundits.
Once Ole resigns or gets sacked, go and get the next Pep or Klopp, hire the best DOF from around Europe (this will be easier as doubling their wages won't be an issue) then start from their. If it takes 4 or 5 years....lets start now. Liverpool and Spurs did it. So why can't we.
I'm sick of of everything to do with Utd at the moment. And I'm sick of supporting City so those fecking Scousers don't win anything!
Man City and Liverpool are not the norm. Bayern have Hasan Salihamidžić, Dortmund have Michael Zorc, Barcelona have Eric Abidal, Ajax have Marc Overmars, PSV have John De Jong, Sevilla have Monchi,etc And not all of them had relevant prior experience before stepping into the role.

lsd

The Oracle

Gary Neville our director of football :lol: May as well have Southgate as manager too

Walters_19_MuFc

There's no shame in that. Plenty of top class players haven't been contenders for the Balon D'or. Got into the World XI with Juventus at 21, though, which isn't too bad.

GledTheRed

Neville seems genuinely disappointed after City won that...

And seemed like he wanted them to lose in the commentary. Bizarre.
He was probably nervous and not trying to jinx it, we aren't all Liverpool fans going round giving it large before we've won feck all.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

How? He's pulling out Kompany you dancer, had a shit eating grin on his face as the studio punditry started and is absolutely loving the goal. At what point was he disappointed?

dogwithabone

He looked on the verge of a heart attack when the cameras panned to him at Salford yesterday at the end of the penalty shoot out. Looked genuinely pale and shook up.