Gary Neville

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Can be annoying at times but never understood the hatred from our fan base

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I thought he was a Poch fanboy too? Does he know with that statement he slammed the guy who he wanted as United manager all those years?
No because GNev doesn't really blame Poch. He bypasses him whenever there's blame to be handed out and he just launches grenades at his favourite punching bag, Todd Boehly.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I think that Neville isn't a particularly good commentator or pundit, but is great in the relaxed 'Stick to Football' banter and 'Overlap' interview settings.

It's funny that Simon Jordan really seems to be irritated by him though. Jordan criticises him on a regular basis, but Neville never responds (unless he has done and I missed it), which only seems to wind up Jordan more.

I do think that there is jealously there. There is a clear hierarchy, and relatively speaking Jordan is of course a nobody and irrelevance in the football / football media world compared to Neville. They both love the sound of their own voices, and Jordan clearly wishes he had the same reach that Neville does.

Tyrion

Really not sure what there is to disagree with in his statement.
I guess my issue is that if Fulham or Crystal Palace had lost to Liverpool, we wouldn't call them bottlers. Chelsea aren't much better off than them based on the table. People still judge Chelsea by the spending and the name rather than their record.

SambaBoy

I think that Neville isn't a particularly good commentator or pundit, but is great in the relaxed 'Stick to Football' banter and 'Overlap' interview settings.

It's funny that Simon Jordan really seems to be irritated by him though. Jordan criticises him on a regular basis, but Neville never responds (unless he has done and I missed it), which only seems to wind up Jordan more.

I do think that there is jealously there. There is a clear hierarchy, and relatively speaking Jordan is of course a nobody and irrelevance in the football / football media world compared to Neville. They both love the sound of their own voices, and Jordan clearly wishes he had the same reach that Neville does.
He's got be the most annoying person on the scene. Always tries to give an alternative opinion, and only provides context when it suits him. If it's a manager or person he rates, he'll defend there 20% win rate with x, y and z but when it's Rooney or someone it's simply he failed, he got a 20% win rate.

Even on TalkSport, they will bring in FFP experts to speak about Everton and potential ramifications and he'll still try to be the loudest voice and most knowledgable. I remember he brought Eddie Hearn on and tried to cut him down - then when it turned out he was wrong, he refused to admit it or apologise and just went off on some other tangent.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He's got be the most annoying person on the scene. Always tries to give an alternative opinion, and only provides context when it suits him. If it's a manager or person he rates, he'll defend there 20% win rate with x, y and z but when it's Rooney or someone it's simply he failed, he got a 20% win rate.

Even on TalkSport, they will bring in FFP experts to speak about Everton and potential ramifications and he'll still try to be the loudest voice and most knowledgable. I remember he brought Eddie Hearn on and tried to cut him down - then when it turned out he was wrong, he refused to admit it or apologise and just went off on some other tangent.
Agreed. I don’t rate him at all.

I honestly think that he is able to ‘trick’ so many listeners into thinking that he is clued up and has tremendous insight, purely because he speaks ‘posh’ / eloquently and throws in fancy words here and there.

It’s like how posh speaking politicians like Jacob Rees-Mogg are able to con far too many members of the public for too long, into thinking that they have ‘gravitas’ and have expert knowledge about any political issue. If either of them spoke with a broad or even noticeable Essex accent for example, many of those people would think that they’re complete idiots.

Hughes35

I guess my issue is that if Fulham or Crystal Palace had lost to Liverpool, we wouldn't call them bottlers. Chelsea aren't much better off than them based on the table. People still judge Chelsea by the spending and the name rather than their record.
I don't think it's the result that makes Chelsea bottlers. It's the fact they were on top in a game full of kids but when it got to extra time then panicked and tried to see it our until penalties. That's what makes a bottler for me. It's weak mentality and a cowards way out.

If they'd had a go and got caught with a sucker punch then I'd agree with you.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think it's the result that makes Chelsea bottlers. It's the fact they were on top in a game full of kids but when it got to extra time then panicked and tried to see it our until penalties. That's what makes a bottler for me. It's weak mentality and a cowards way out.

If they'd had a go and got caught with a sucker punch then I'd agree with you.
I don't think there's a single legitimate argument for it not being a bottlejob. We had them on the ropes and then Klopp threw on a bunch of kids I had never heard of. I was happy when I saw that because I thought we had them right where we wanted them. Then we proceeded to shit the bed and play worse against the kids than we did against their starters.

Hughes35

I don't think there's a single legitimate argument for it not being a bottlejob. We had them on the ropes and then Klopp threw on a bunch of kids I had never heard of. I was happy when I saw that because I thought we had them right where we wanted them. Then we proceeded to shit the bed and play worse against the kids than we did against their starters.
Yep, you bottled it for sure.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

You'd have thought from watching it, it must've been a fitness issue as the dropoff from last 10 minutes of normal time to extra time was huge. However you did have Madueke and Mudryk fresh off bench.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
You'd have thought from watching it, it must've been a fitness issue as the dropoff from last 10 minutes of normal time to extra time was huge. However you did have Madueke and Mudryk fresh off bench.
And Nkunku and Chalobah. We made 4 subs vs their 6 subs but our subs were big money signings plus Chalobah who’s a seasoned veteran compared to the players Liverpool were subbing on. We just bottled it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

This timestamped bit cracked me up, Keane had enough :lol:

OldSchoolManc

Fekk off Neville. Says he’s never seen a goalkeeper have cramp and immediately accuses Onana of cheating.

GlasgowCeltic

"the England team should be built around him", always the sign of a shite pundit when they come out with this line

E-mal

He is a cnut, I usually just mute him when I watch the game.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Dislike him as much as you can realistically dislike anyone in football.

arnie_ni

I just don't see what you posters all see. Thought he was pretty balanced after the game. Gave us props for our set up and not being as open as we usually are.

Even mentioned all the injuries. If anything it was Keane who criticised us more

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I just don't see what you posters all see. Thought he was pretty balanced after the game. Gave us props for our set up and not being as open as we usually are.

Even mentioned all the injuries. If anything it was Keane who criticised us more
I think it's on commentary that people generally have an issue with him. He's usually fine on punditry work.

I didn't watch on Sky though, so no idea how he was for yesterday's game.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
The guys a tool. Gets an hard on over city and the scousers nowadays.

arnie_ni

I think it's on commentary that people generally have an issue with him. He's usually fine on punditry work.

I didn't watch on Sky though, so no idea how he was for yesterday's game.
He has to be impartial and neutral on comms though. If city are ouyplaying us he has to go with them. It's his job.

Smacky The Frog

He has to be impartial and neutral on comms though. If city are ouyplaying us he has to go with them. It's his job.
I usually think the reaction to Neville is completely over the top here, but as someone with no skin in the game (not a United fan), I thought he was really awful on comms yesterday. There's being objective about what you're watching and then there's looking at everything one team does through a pessimistic lens, which is what Neville was doing with United even when they were holding up quite well in the first half. It's like he came in prepared to be beaten and his commentary reflected that.

He's become worse as a commentator the longer he's done it, and he seems especially bad when United are playing because he can't strike the balance between being an objective and fair professional, and an emotional, often needlessly negative fan coming in with a ton of baggage. I don't need him to lie to me about how well United are doing, but I also don't want to listen to a doom-mongering fan moan about everything his team does for 90 minutes (even if he is right, which he very often is not).

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Weird take on Haalands miss yesterday claiming he was trying to be too clever putting it in the top corner. Clearly just got too much on it going for the cushioned finish and connected with wrong part of boot.

United player going down never seems to be a foul now in his eyes, always diving instead.