Gazzetta Football Italia

stubie

James Richardson has recently started uploading full episodes of Gazetta from the 90’s.

Enjoy:)

Hoof the ball

This particular YouTube channel is uploading full Serie A games from the 90's almost daily. In particular I found the full 1992/1993 Season Review :-

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
What a time to be alive
:lol: I found myself watching the full match from 1995 of Juventus v Sampdoria the other day. Karembeu, Montella and Mihajlovic took them to the cleaners.

That intro music. Like being back at school again :drool:

TheReligion

Abusive
Remember going to watch a Milan derby in the early 2000s and staging a James Richardson style photo shot.
Sat outside cafe bar check....Duomo in background check... Cup of cappuccino check.... Pink Gazzetta Della Sport in hand check...
My mate went to Italy and asked him to bring me back a Gazzetta Della Sport. Why the devil is this show still not on? Channel 4 are gobshites. Richardson could still anchor it today.

On a side me and my mates used to love this. Watch it on Sunday then head out and play football pretending to be Chiesa, Batistuta and co. What memories.

G4stars

OMG.........got goose bumps listening to the music. What a league Serie A was back then.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
As I kid I chose Fiorentina as my favourite Serie A team in the 90s, mainly because they had the Nintendo sponsored kit, and became a big fan of Batistuta and Rui Costa in particular.

I know that in the 90s, Serie A matches on Channel 4 regularly generated higher TV ratings on Sundays than Premier League matches on Sky. Of course that's not a like for like comparison given that one was on free to air TV and the other was on a paid subscription channel, but it does show that Serie A was popular in the UK.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
My mate went to Italy and asked him to bring me back a Gazzetta Della Sport. Why the devil is this show still not on? Channel 4 are gobshites. Richardson could still anchor it today.

On a side me and my mates used to love this. Watch it on Sunday then head out and play football pretending to be Chiesa, Batistuta and co. What memories.
Italian football had a real mystique back then.
All the top players played there, the big money was there.

You could only see these players through programmes like this one.

Nowadays Italy is very much at best the 3rd best league, the top players and money play in Spain or here.
Add in legendary clubs like AC Milan being on a total downer, the stench of those match fixing cases and Juventus cruising the league every year, and it's never been less glam.

stubie

It would not be the same now for a number of reasons

Channel 5 tried in 2007/08 and it flopped massively, not to mention the standards have slipped even further since then

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Inspiration behind my theme song .. Golllazzooo... what an era, and all that great football on domestic telly!

Token Sheet

"No 6 bus to Old Trafford 6p, Admission to re

It was the reason why we did a number of trips back then to Italy and watch Serie A games.

Watching Inter v Juve on a Sunday night in the San Siro when the likes of Zidane, Vieri, Ronaldo, Recoba, Seedorf etc were on display, happy memories....

Hoof the ball

Ah, I remember being a teenager and wanting to have a Maldini or typical Italian 90's footballer long-hair look, but what fecking chance did I have living in England? If you didn't have shitty Beckham curtains you were vilified.

Hoof the ball

As I kid I chose Fiorentina as my favourite Serie A team in the 90s, mainly because they had the Nintendo sponsored kit, and became a big fan of Batistuta and Rui Costa in particular.

I know that in the 90s, Serie A matches on Channel 4 regularly generated higher TV ratings on Sundays than Premier League matches on Sky. Of course that's not a like for like comparison given that one was on free to air TV and the other was on a paid subscription channel, but it does show that Serie A was popular in the UK.
There's so many players that I forgot about.

Things I remember about Serie A in the 90s.

1. Every second goal was from 35 yards out.
2. Goals inside the box were either acrobatic volleys or half volleys struck thunderously through in the top corner.
3. Italian players had a 70/30 ratio of long-to-short hair.
4. Every club in the league had at least one or two absolutely top class strikers.
5. Every team had a classic no.10; someone with a Laudrup-esque touch.

Hoof the ball

Haven't yet encountered anyone that doesn't love James Richardson. With so many twats presenting football these days I've often wondered why he hasn't been more of a household name on our screens.
If there ever was anyone perfectly suited to hosting MOTD when Lineker calls it quits, it's James Richardson. He should have had the gig years ago.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers

2. Goals inside the box were either acrobatic volleys or half volleys struck thunderously through in the top corner.
4. Every club in the league had at least one or two absolutely top class strikers.
Haha that's a very good summary.

It did appear that numerous world class players spent at least some of their prime years at mid-table Serie A clubs at the time.

And this goal from Weah vs. Verona will live long in the memory:

Gibb11

My only access to live football except for champions league and England games, my team was ac milan cos the kit and the name was the coolest to me (to put into context when football italia finished for good at the end of the 01/02 season I just turned 11, didnt like juve as they were considered the best at the time, from a united perspective in Europe they were the benchmark, I remember being annoyed as I seem to catch roma always on.. Only milan game I remember watching was a 0-0 and Albetini hit the bar or post and milan failed to hit one shot on target the whole game.. Brackley commentating seemed wonderful and Wilkins, I think it's been mentioned before about the mystique etc managed to get to a milan game against juventus at San siro... Was more than I expected, I compell every football fan to visit that stadium while it's still there for a big game.

Ended watching the whole Milan lazio game from 92/93 fascinating to see these legendary players in thier prime playing and actually see how good they are albeit one game, Baresi was class, van Basten a monster, lentini struggled albeit with a assit, Gascoigne pretty anonymous, signori scored but offside all the time, a young Maldini, impressed with Albertini and Diego fuser who had a point to prove.. But generally the type of game was different to what I imagined, very attacking, poor defensively, quick pace and particularly with Milan great one touch, two touch passing.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129

Giuseppe Signori would score every week

Hoof the ball

Haha that's a very good summary.

It did appear that numerous world class players spent at least some of their prime years at mid-table Serie A clubs at the time.

And this goal from Weah vs. Verona will live long in the memory:

I remember watching that match live on TV. My memory of that Weah goal was so vivid. I recall the very fortuitous bounce off a tackle that somehow he adjusted his body to in order to maintain his momentum. Weah was a don.

Hoof the ball

James Richardson is still pumping out those new Football Italia and Gazzetta Football Italia videos every couple of days. I think he's been given the go ahead by Channel 4 to upload them from their archives.

stubie

I would recommend watching this match as it shows Baresi and Milan at there finest.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Amazing! How have I not seen this thread before.