Gelson Martins-SportingCP

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Gelson Martins is a yet another winger of the long list to be produced at Sporting's famed academy. He First broke into the Sporting main team in the 2015-2016 season mainly used as a substitute for Joao Mario who had been shifted over to the RM position by new coach Jorge Jesus. In his first season he notched up 7 goals and 3 assists. In the 2016-2017 season it was his breakout season as he was able to show his talents on the grandest stage the UEFA Champions League with a notable performance vs Real Madrid in Spain. He was able to follow up his bag of tricks and pace with an end product which helped turn him into a star for Sporting. In that season he notched 6 goals and 10 assists. In the current 2017-2018 campaign Gelson has been able to add more goals in his end product and become one of the spearheads of the attack along another Sporting starlet Bruno Fernandes. This season so far he has notched up 11 goals and 8 assists for Sporting. All in all he is another top talent coming through from our academy and another talented winger from our ranks as well he might be seen as a potential prospect for certain clubs there has been premier league interest as well as interest from Dortmund ( I would love this move for him). His departure could depend on if Sporting qualify for next years Champions League.

Strengths: Gelson is known for his blistering pace and his ability get past multiple opponents. He has a bag of tricks and is a nightmare for any fullback very much in the mold of a young Nani at Sporting. His ability to get in behind this season and finish chances has been happy improvement and his ability to set up his teammates as well. Gelson could be a solid player coming off the bench for Portugal in this years World Cup to provide a bit of pace and unpredictability in the offense.

Weaknesses: Gelsons light Frame and strength could be seen as a problem for potential premier league interest as we know the physical nature of the team. Gelson can sometimes be caught disappearing from games but he is still young. Gelson isn't very expressive but he has short lapses for example takin his shirt off in Sporting match 1 week ago which made him miss the clash with Porto last Friday.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
mostly as a sub but has started a few games for Portugal.
Don't want to spoil your party mate, but I for experience would be very cautious to be excited with the recent prospects, be at Sporting or other clubs in Portugal, for instance I noticed you are very excited about Bruno Fernandes, I also like him, but you have to take into account the fact he does what he does in Portugal, not Serie A.

The same can be said regarding Gelson, I have a lot of doubts he can thrive at least in top clubs in Europe, he can play in better leagues but for me he lacks fundamentals regarding decision making, with the same age even Nani was better, at least for me.

You can see it recently with players like João Mário, André Silva, Renato Sanches or Adrien, reality is there is a massive competitive gap between our league and the top leagues, atm even the Russian League has more financial resources to invest than us, and that is reflected in our UEFA performances.

Don't want to say you are wrong, just be cautious regarding your analysis, European top leagues in the last 10 years developed a lot, while unfortunately the opposite happened in Portugal. Don't let the club passion blind your analysis.

marktan

The same can be said regarding Gelson, I have a lot of doubts he can thrive at least in top clubs in Europe, he can play in better leagues but for me he lacks fundamentals regarding decision making, with the same age even Nani was better, at least for me.
Haven't really watched Gelson Martins but Nani imo in his first couple of seasons for us was great, if Martins was close to that he'd do well for us. Technically with the ball at his feet and shooting there are few wingers in the last ten years or so that were better (barring a select few like Robben).

Member 90887

Am I the only one that read that glaston Martins?
I thought: Glaston's name is Martins, him, it felt like it made sense.

I think I'm too tired.

SportingCP96

Supports
Don't want to spoil your party mate, but I for experience would be very cautious to be excited with the recent prospects, be at Sporting or other clubs in Portugal, for instance I noticed you are very excited about Bruno Fernandes, I also like him, but you have to take into account the fact he does what he does in Portugal, not Serie A.

You can see it recently with players like João Mário, André Silva, Renato Sanches or Adrien, reality is there is a massive competitive gap between our league and the top leagues, atm even the Russian League has more financial resources to invest than us, and that is reflected in our UEFA performances.

Don't want to say you are wrong, just be cautious regarding your analysis, European top leagues in the last 10 years developed a lot, while unfortunately the opposite happened in Portugal. Don't let the club passion blind your analysis.
Though I can agree with you in some aspects but not all lets take the players you mentioned first. In my opinion. Andre Silva was wrong club choice he joined a thinking ship and should have stayed at porto to develop more or joined a team where he had a team who can create chances. Joao Mario joined Inter and his coach was fired not long after also not a club who played a style where he can thrive. In west ham he has shown glimpses of his talent which he obviously has. Adrien Silva I rate him but I can agree he is a mid table premier league player at best so fair play. Renato Sanches was a massive Benfica hype train besides his physical stature nothing impressed me about him. I agree our league is falling down the pecking order in comparisons to these other leagues with bags of money, Marega is proof of that by scoring 20 goals this year. But Bruno Fernandes was highly regarded at Udinese and you don't play the amount of games he did in Serie A at his age If you are average. As for Gelson you can see his raw ability and I believe he can make it he is similar to that of Ousmane Dembele similarities from there frame build and play style and he is at Barcelona. Its all about choosing the right club and having the ability. In my opinion and I don't know if you agree with me on this but there is a lot of talent coming out of Portugal and not just at Sporting we have a good generation of talent coming thru. Look at Bernardo Silva who went to Monaco a club who gave him playing time and developed him then he went to city , or Ronaldo going to United at a young age instead of Madrid who was interested. All of these choices play a part. Do I think Gelson is Manchester United material just yet ? Maybe maybe not but if he went to Dortmund first for example or Monaco heck even Tottenham clubs where he can thrive then yes. So all these things have to be looked at in different perspectives. From Sporting only William, Rui, Gelson, and Bruno Fernandes can maybe play in the bigger leagues. In Porto Telles, Danilo, Ricardo. In Benfica probably none currently.

Like I said though I agree with your post about our league and how we are falling behind to the money in the other leagues but we are a nation that will continue to produce top football talent similar to that of Netherlands Brazil or Argentina regardless of how low there league standards are to the other juggernaut leagues.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Andre Silva was wrong club choice he joined a thinking ship and should have stayed at porto to develop more or joined a team where he had a team who can create chances.
No he failed because Cutrone and Kalinic are better, the same thing for João Mário, lets stop with the excuses, when you have quality you play, it is as simple as that, and no the players we are producing aren't better than the ones we had in the 90's or between 2000 and 2010, if anything they are worse.

SportingCP96

Supports
No he failed because Cutrone and Kalinic are better, the same thing for João Mário, lets stop with the excuses, when you have quality you play, it is as simple as that, and no the players we are producing aren't better than the ones we had in the 90's or between 2000 and 2010, if anything they are worse.
I never said they were better I said there is A LOT of talent coming through and you would be wrong if you said otherwise everywhere from wingers, strikers, midfielders, and left backs and right back. I could make a complete list for you if you needed. Andre Silva has struggled because new city new team new country and that club has been in shambles. Joao Mario didn't fit the Italian game or the way they played. Lets look at Ruben Neves who many CAF members claim he is class and want him at United because he is excelling at wolves. I would make a solid bet that had he went to play in inter or Milan that would not be the case. Portugals team from 2009 until 2014 was terrible if you think a team composed of fecking raul meireles, Miguel Veloso Joao pereira header Postiga and bruno Alves was better then the players we have now you are out of your mind. Our bench consisted of players like Danny and Hugo Almeida and silvestre Varela. Lets be real here as I said I can make a complete list of the emerging Portuguese talent coming through this is the closest thing to the golden generation of Portuguese football that we have had.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Lets be real here as I said I can make a complete list of the emerging Portuguese talent coming through this is the closest thing to the golden generation of Portuguese football that we have had.
First of all, let me give you a advice if you don't feel upset with that.

Use sometimes Enter because your text is very big for the other posters to read, and it might make some confusion to them.

Regarding the rest, come on those players you mention it has nothing to do with the clubs, managers or new cities to live, only 1 word: Quality.

And don't try to compare the level at Wolves and the Champ with the Premier or United, its another universe.

SportingCP96

Supports
First of all, let me give you a advice if you don't feel upset with that.

Use sometimes Enter because your text is very big for the other posters to read, and it might make some confusion to them.

Regarding the rest, come on those players you mention it has nothing to do with the clubs, managers or new cities to live, only 1 word: Quality.

And don't try to compare the level at Wolves and the Champ with the Premier or United, its another universe.
I am sorry I'm using a cellphone currently to type. As I said above it has a lot to do with it and the quality of players coming through now to the 2000s to 2014 is much better.
What I am saying is he went to a club that allowed him to progress.

Certain clubs fit certain players Ronaldo went to United a young age and progressed had he went to Madrid that maybe would not have been the case.

Crashoutcassius

I thought this thread was a good read and I'm always a lot more interested in hearing a fans opinion on their player vs all the guys in transfer threads that watch YouTube videos. I think everyone knows Portuguese league players can be hit or miss but this guy is someone I want to see more of

SportingCP96

Supports
I thought this thread was a good read and I'm always a lot more interested in hearing a fans opinion on their player vs all the guys in transfer threads that watch YouTube videos. I think everyone knows Portuguese league players can be hit or miss but this guy is someone I want to see more of
Thanks mate I like writing player reports and analysis on players from Sporting who are of interest to other CAF members as well as players who are not known to them yet but who will be.

Also I agree in our league it can be hit or miss but you can always find some good players who are ready to make the leap playing for the Big 3.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
He's quick and agile. Can be very dangerous on a good day but his decision making and even technical execution is still not that good. Maybe after a couple seasons in the PL he could develop into a Mane type of player but right now, it's too soon for him. He should probably move to a mid table PL team as i feel he has been stagnating a bit.

SportingCP96

Supports
How does he compare to Nani at the same age? @SportingCP96
Well Nani at the same age (22) was at Manchester United but its also worth noting Sporting now a days are not a club whose so easy to sell its players unlike years gone by. We are torrid negotiations now. Now in terms of similarities talent wise I would compare Gelson to Nani both have and had in the case of Nani the ability to get passed a defender using their pace and bags of tricks. Nani had a bit more of a stronger frame to him compared to Gelson. Statistics wise Gelson has had the better of it at Sporting but he has had more seasons at Sporting then Nani to develop more. If you compare their maiden seasons its almost identical. Nani was always able to pick out a cross better then Gelson I Think but Gelson is also much faster and uses that to his advantage. If I had to liken Gelson in a world football perspective he reminds me a lot of Ousmane Dembele both play very similar. Now if you ask me if Gelson can make it in the premier league ? I think yes but if its a team who can fit him. In the EPL currently I hate to say it but I think he would fit like a glove in Liverpools current attacking set up.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
What is his market value according to the Portuguese press? Which clubs are supposedly interested in acquiring him? Does the club want to sell him?

SportingCP96

Supports
Is it likely he's off this summer?
I think that depends A lot on if Sporting make the Champions League next season. Him and William ( yes he is still here) are the most likely candidates to leave.

SportingCP96

Supports
What is his market value according to the Portuguese press? Which clubs are supposedly interested in acquiring him? Does the club want to sell him?
Does the club want to sell him? No. Money talks though and no Champions league can play a big factor in that.

Club interest as reported by the press are: Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Dortmund, Barcelona, and Real Madrid.

His current market value as of his release clause is 60M. Sporting president Bruno De Carvalho uses these release Clauses as leverage to negotiate. He is a very tough negotiator in the mold of Pinto De Costa. We sold Joao Mario for 45M and Adrien for 25M and played hardball for William this summer with West Ham.I can see Gelson leaving for 45M currently.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Does the club want to sell him? No. Money talks though and no Champions league can play a big factor in that.

Club interest as reported by the press are: Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Dortmund, Barcelona, and Real Madrid.

His current market value as of his release clause is 60M. Sporting president Bruno De Carvalho uses these release Clauses as leverage to negotiate. He is a very tough negotiator in the mold of Pinto De Costa. We sold Joao Mario for 45M and Adrien for 25M and played hardball for William this summer with West Ham.I can see Gelson leaving for 45M currently.
Thanks for the answer. Big names!

Rossa

I have to give it to you, your answers are some of the most to the point with actual knowledge to back them up. Great reading!

SportingCP96

Supports
I have to give it to you, your answers are some of the most to the point with actual knowledge to back them up. Great reading!
Thank you mate. As I said any player reports you guys want or player analysis or even a question about a player feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer!

Phil

I think that depends A lot on if Sporting make the Champions League next season. Him and William ( yes he is still here) are the most likely candidates to leave.
Agh, I hope he stays so you can build on this season.

SportingCP96

Supports
Worth a watch I highly recommend for anyone interested. You can really see his quality here and what he can offer a team with his pace and skill.

Swift Football

Very surprised how little traction he has got here in cafe, especially considering caf got a thing for tricky wingers.

BY looking at the videos posted, it reminds me of Adama Traore but with way better end product. I love the way he is willing to beat the full backs on outside and put a cross in the box. Most of the times, these breed of young pacy tricky wingers lack decision making but from what I have seen, this guy tend to make right decisions, for his age. I think he is worth the punt with around 35-40M.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Very surprised how little traction he has got here in cafe, especially considering caf got a thing for tricky wingers.

BY looking at the videos posted, it reminds me of Adama Traore but with way better end product. I love the way he is willing to beat the full backs on outside and put a cross in the box. Most of the times, these breed of young pacy tricky wingers lack decision making but from what I have seen, this guy tend to make right decisions, for his age. I think he is worth the punt with around 35-40M.
His release clause is 60 million euros and that's what he'd cost. For that price I don't think Mourinho will take a chance on him, maybe if he has a great World Cup that will change.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

60m isn’t a lot for an attacker in this market.

But Mourinho made it clear that we won’t buy any attackers, so i assume he means it.

Gelson Martins could provide the width we lack on the right. I really like how dynamic he is.

Swift Football

His release clause is 60 million euros and that's what he'd cost. For that price I don't think Mourinho will take a chance on him, maybe if he has a great World Cup that will change.
For 60M euros, no club will take chance i guess, since they can go for relatively proven players for that amount. If they dont want to sell Gelson for 40M range now, i believe its better to wait and see for another 3-4 years and then buy for 90-100M if he consistently delivers big performances.

11reds

Is this the player in trouble for pushing a ref in France? He is banned indefinitely in France. Could we get him on the cheap on loan?