Gemma Evans | Welcome to United

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Manchester United are delighted to announce the signing of Wales international Gemma Evans on a permanent deal.
The experienced defender joins United after spells with former Women's Super League sides Bristol City and Reading, and was ranked third-highest in the WSL for shots blocked (19 in total), last campaign.

With over 50 international caps, Gemma will link up with fellow compatriot Hayley Ladd in Manchester – with whom she has formed a formidable centre-back partnership for her country.

Gemma Evans:

“It’s a massive honour to sign here. It’s something I’ve dreamt about. The ambition of the club is what brought me here. Seeing how well the girls did last year was amazing. It’s just an unbelievable feeling to be here now. The progression of the club is something I want to be onboard with and help build on the amazing foundations already here.”
Marc Skinner:

“Gemma will bring a wealth of experience to our playing squad and offer even more versatility to our playing style. Her international credentials and WSL experience will help us, as we navigate multiple competitions. We are delighted to welcome Gemma into our Manchester United family.”
Polly Bancroft:

“We are delighted that Gemma has chosen to join us at Manchester United. Her defensive knowledge and overall understanding of the game will be invaluable to our squad, as we compete on several fronts this season.”

top1whoisman

Scout
Another centre-back, hmm...

Turner
Le Tissier
Mannion
Thorisdottir
Evans
Rabjohn (might be eased in as a FB)

Probably means that either Mannion or Thorisdottir is leaving. Potentially even both?

top1whoisman

Scout
Not the shiny new toy we all wanted but at least this proves that we're somewhat active on the market.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Another centre-back, hmm...

Turner
Le Tissier
Mannion
Thorisdottir
Evans
Rabjohn (might be eased in as a FB)

Probably means that either Mannion or Thorisdottir is leaving. Potentially even both?
I think Rabjohn will go on loan, the Clinton pathway. Thor could leave but if she's happy to stay she's a good option at FB, but not CB for me anymore. Mannion should be out of contract but all indications right now are that she's renewed.

top1whoisman

Scout
First time seeing her play for United and she performed pretty well. Very aggressive in the press, won most of her duels and apart from one albeit a big mistake she was very composed on the ball. Quality of passing looks very good, a technically solid player. Would like to see more of her in the more natural CB position but that would in the Skinner world mean that either Le Tissier or Turner is injured. Anyway a decent performance today, looked comfortable with both feet, which is a bonus wherever in the defensive line she ends up playing in.