German Football 22/23 | 2. Bundesliga returns | Hamburg vs Schalke 20:30 |

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Nkunku should have seen the second yellow for that. Really lucky for Leipzig, that would've been the nail jn the coffin

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Nkunku should have seen the second yellow for that. Really lucky for Leipzig, that would've been the nail jn the coffin
I don't think that was worth a booking but the one he got the yellow for could've been red.

Ludens the Red

Anyone ever feel Dortmunds atmosphere is slightly over rated. Obviously the yellow wall are great but the rest of the ground act like tourists. I swear not one person at that other end jumped up for Reus goal.

top1whoisman

Scout
Anyone ever feel Dortmunds atmosphere is slightly over rated. Obviously the yellow wall are great but the rest of the ground act like tourists. I swear not one person at that other end jumped up for Reus goal.
Kind of get what you're saying. Despite the numbers and the yellow wall I would never call that a hostile atmosphere for the away team. Obviously that's not what is has to be and there's plenty of ways to support your team and I'm not saying throwing abuse at opposing players and fans is the "right" way. And maybe I'm wrong but it seems like atmosphere in German stadiums in general is pretty, say family-friendly. Which again is cool but comparing to may other European leagues it feels a bit different?

I wonder if there are exceptions to this; any stadiums or perhaps particular derbies where the away team and the refs get pelted with abuse?

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Kind of get what you're saying. Despite the numbers and the yellow wall I would never call that a hostile atmosphere for the away team. Obviously that's not what is has to be and there's plenty of ways to support your team and I'm not saying throwing abuse at opposing players and fans is the "right" way. And maybe I'm wrong but it seems like atmosphere in German stadiums in general is pretty, say family-friendly. Which again is cool but comparing to may other European leagues it feels a bit different?

I wonder if there are exceptions to this; any stadiums or perhaps particular derbies where the away team and the refs get pelted with abuse?
There are definitely teams and stadiums with a more hostile atmosphere but most of them play in lower leagues today.
Derbys between Kaiserslautern and Mannheim are certainly not family-friendly haha.

But you are right that most Bundesliga stadiums have a family-friendly atmosphere and in fact many kids and women in the stands.

For me its always a bit strange when you see Italian or turkish stadiums where maybe 95% of visitors are guys between 20 and 50.

top1whoisman

Scout
There are definitely teams and stadiums with a more hostile atmosphere but most of them play in lower leagues today.
Derbys between Kaiserslautern and Mannheim are certainly not family-friendly haha.

But you are right that most Bundesliga stadiums have a family-friendly atmosphere and in fact many kids and women in the stands.

For me its always a bit strange when you see Italian or turkish stadiums where maybe 95% of visitors are guys between 20 and 50.
That's a nice change to a lot of other countries. The same when watching women's football. Each to their own and I can enjoy both "types" of atmospheres.

Ludens the Red

Yuh I think so.. they usually have massive away followings and always in colours. If we took those followings with colours on show to Leeds and Liverpool, we’d have numerous casualties.
Not a criticism at all, it’s very unique and must be great as an away fan knowing there’s loads of tickets and you can wear your colours without being pelted.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Whether it's overrated or not is up to the observer to decide. But it's the default in German stadiums that you have like one or two blocks at the center of the home stand, which belong to the organized fans and they create the atmosphere with their capos, drums and non-stop chanting. Other fans take their cue from them, but they are less enthusiastic the further you get away from the center.
On the other stands the seats are more expensive and you bascially just have random people, young, old, children, women, families, etc. Their active support usually depends on the game state and whether the organized fans intone certain chants that are invite the rest of the stadium to participate.

Unfortunately I'm not at the stadium today, but I'm pretty sure you're wrong with the second sentence. When the ball is near one of the goals, even for corners or free kicks, everyone is on their feet in anticipation anyway. Maybe you saw a shot of Leipzig fans (who would still have been standing though), since the penalty was taken in front of their block.

Yuh I think so.. they usually have massive away followings and always in colours. If we took those followings with colours on show to Leeds and Liverpool, we’d have numerous casualties.
Not a criticism at all, it’s very unique and must be great as an away fan knowing there’s loads of tickets and you can wear your colours without being pelted.
Generally speaking German ultras are too organized to cause trouble too close to the stadiums, because they know that it will only come back on them. A few weeks ago a group of Essen, Köln and Dortmund fans ambushed Schalke's ultras as they were boarding their busses for their journey to their away game in Berlin at 6 am - that is more representative of the kind of violence you get from German fans. It's also telling that Schalke's ultras released a statement stating (among other things) that they respect the the fact that their rivals showed up on their home turf. Or say some idiots ambushing a pub where they know opposing fans to be. Broadly speaking these people have their own parallel reality where they are "at war" with each other and have to defend their honour, but bar a few isolated incidents, they keep "civilians" out of it.

Both situations could have seen him sent off, but I think it's pretty conventional to show leniency early in big games. Dortmund profited from that sentiment, when Bellingham escaped his second card against Bayern.
I'm more bothered by the ref seemingly refusing to hand out any more cards in the last 10 minutes of the first half, as Leipzig fouled Dortmund out of high intensity transitions a couple of times. I wouldn't call it a bad performance at the moment, though.

Last edited:

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Leipzig getting booked left, right and centre. Feels like they get a lot of yellows for fouls that are right on the edge of being a red.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Brandt is such a joy to watch this season.

Ludens the Red

Whether it's overrated or not is up to the observer to decide. But it's the default in German stadiums that you have like one or two blocks at the center of the home stand, which belong to the organized fans and they create the atmosphere with their capos, drums and non-stop chanting. Other fans take their cue from them, but they are less enthusiastic the further you get away from the center.
On the other stands the seats are more expensive and you bascially just have random people, young, old, children, women, families, etc. Their active support usually depends on the game state and whether the organized fans intone certain chants that are invite the rest of the stadium to participate.

Unfortunately I'm not at the stadium today, but I'm pretty sure you're wrong with the second sentence. When the ball is near one of the goals, even for corners or free kicks, everyone is on their feet in anticipation anyway. Maybe you saw a shot of Leipzig fans (who would still have been standing though), since the penalty was taken in front of their block.

Generally speaking German ultras are too organized to cause trouble too close to the stadiums, because they know that it will only come back on them. A few weeks ago a group of Essen, Köln and Dortmund fans ambushed Schalke's ultras as they were boarding their busses for their journey to their away game in Berlin at 6 am - that is more representative of the kind of violence you get from German fans. It's also telling that Schalke's ultras released a statement stating (among other things) that they respect the the fact that their rivals showed up on their home turf. Or say some idiots ambushing a pub where they know opposing fans to be. Broadly speaking these people have their own parallel reality where they are "at war" with each other and have to defend their honour, but bar a few isolated incidents, they keep "civilians" out of it.

Both situations could have seen him sent off, but I think it's pretty conventional to show leniency early in big games. Dortmund profited from that sentiment, when Bellingham escaped his second card against Bayern.
I'm more bothered by the ref seemingly refusing to hand out any more cards in the last 10 minutes of the first half, as Leipzig fouled Dortmund out of high intensity transitions a couple of times. I wouldn't call it a bad performance at the moment, though.
:lol: I’m not stupid. I can tell the difference between Dortmund and Leipzig fans. Leipzig fans are in that same corner and you cant actually see them in camera shot when a penalty is taken. It was definitely Dortmund fans. They were all stood up for the pen but they just didn’t react much. Found it strange…

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
:lol: I’m not stupid. I can tell the difference between Dortmund and Leipzig fans. Leipzig fans are in that same corner and you cant actually see them in camera shot when a penalty is taken. It was definitely Dortmund fans. They were all stood up for the pen but they just didn’t react much. Found it strange…
From my experience basically the whole stadium stands up when they score. And I haven't been to a Dortmund game that's as important for them as this so I'd tend to say that your eyes fooled you on that one.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Who is supposed to be able to stop Dortmund, when they have destiny on their side?

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Dortmund are extremely lucky since the restart. Second half only Leipzig was playing.

I hope this luck continues at least until after the Chelsea match.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Jesus christ, I need a vacation after this one...

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
There's obviously a lot of luck to Dortmund's streak, but I think there's also an element of resilience and determination underneath, that helps them see out these matches, which wasn't there before.
Terzic really needs to find a better way to approach these situations though. It wasn't the first time the team didn't get any counters in at all after sitting on a lead and as nasty as it sounds, injuring Schlager was probably the first impactful thing Modeste has done since scoring against Bayern. There has to be another way, if he wants to have a tall outlet upfront he may as well put Hummels there. He's not much slower and at least he can handle the ball :lol: . I don't understand why Dahoud sees so little game time either. Progressing the ball through pressing opponents and passing runners into space for counter attacks are some of his strenghts.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
There's obviously a lot of luck to Dortmund's streak, but I think there's also an element of resilience and determination underneath, that helps them see out these matches, which wasn't there before.
Terzic really needs to find a better way to approach these situations though. It wasn't the first time the team didn't get any counters in at all after sitting on a lead and as nasty as it sounds, injuring Schlager was probably the first impactful thing Modeste has done since scoring against Bayern. There has to be another way, if he wants to have a tall outlet upfront he may as well put Hummels there. He's not much slower and at least he can handle the ball :lol: . I don't understand why Dahoud sees so little game time either. Progressing the ball through pressing opponents and passing runners into space for counter attacks are some of his strenghts.
Yeah his soft spot for Modeste is pretty weird. He's been awful for Dortmund so far.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
injuring Schlager was probably the first impactful thing Modeste has done since scoring against Bayern.
:lol:

I dont get it at all, Modeste always looks 2 or 3 levels off his teammates. Maybe you can bring him on when youre chasing a game and flood the opponents box with crosses but Terzic keeps subbing him on when Dortmund are leading and sitting deep. Its so weird for me.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
:lol:

I dont get it at all, Modeste always looks 2 or 3 levels off his teammates. Maybe you can bring him on when youre chasing a game and flood the opponents box with crosses but Terzic keeps subbing him on when Dortmund are leading and sitting deep. Its so weird for me.
I guess to be fair to Terzic, he made Modeste sit out th evast majority of matches in 2023 and options were a bit sparse, without Moukoko, Malen and Adeyemi. While Haller and Reus probably don't have the fitness to play a full game. But that wasn't the case, when he introduced him against Chelsea and Leverkusen.. Watch him score in Munich though.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Also what happened to this guy? Looked like a bastion of authenticity at Gladbach, but turned out to be the biggest sell-out in the game:

Ludens the Red

From my experience basically the whole stadium stands up when they score. And I haven't been to a Dortmund game that's as important for them as this so I'd tend to say that your eyes fooled you on that one.
I said they all stood just that the reaction to the goal was tame, especially considering the magnitude of the game. Anyway see for yourselves, finding it quite bizarre that people who didnt watch the game are coming up with an alternative view :lol:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I said they all stood just that the reaction to the goal was tame, especially considering the magnitude of the game. Anyway see for yourselves, finding it quite bizarre that people who didnt watch the game are coming up with an alternative view :lol:

Sorry misread that. But the quote below really sounded as if you were suggesting that they were glued to their seats. Germans can't watch the video you linked by the way, it's geoblocked.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Hamburg are finally doing it, aren't they? If they let Heidenheim slip past them now, the club needs to be dissolved for crimes against German football...

And in Bochum we have the "small" Revierderby, 17th vs 18th, Thomas Reis, Bochum's club legend and coach ... until losing to Schalke on 6th matchday ... now Schalke's coach and source of renewed hopes. What a setup. :drool:

Former Schalke academy graduate P. Hofmann missing an open-goal tap-in. There are so many little sub-plots in this.. :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Riemann... Jesus ...

I could do with a little dent in Schalke's momentum, but this is undeniably a great situation at the bottom:

Surely everyone is hoping Stuttgart get some points today, to keep the blue-white meme going.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
When the VAR takes back a penalty because of a dive, can he even give a yellow?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
When the VAR takes back a penalty because of a dive, can he even give a yellow?
Once it goes into (on-field) review, "clear mistake" and what not is out the window and the ref is supposed to judge the situation with fresh eyes and give his best judgement. So it's totally possible to judge something as a dive in the review and give a yellow card accordingly.

Blackwidow

If you can have Gnabry, Sane, Mane, Cancelo, Pavard, Gravenberch, Blind and Tel on the bench.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
According to Twitterazzi Bensebaini had to say something about someone's mother after he got sent off.. in front of the broadcast microphones..

Blackwidow

According to Twitterazzi Bensebaini had to say something about someone's mother after he got sent off.. in front of the broadcast microphones..
He actually should critisize himself. He was the one that caused the card by acting stupid.

Mr.Hik

What happened to BM?
Did they miss Lewa that much or Nageilsman is not second coming of Jesus?
Thanks.