German Football 22/23 | 2. Bundesliga returns | Hamburg vs Schalke 20:30 |

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Gladbach's success against Bayern is the weirdest thing ever. I mean it's not like they are a mentality/cup team like Frankfurt.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Gladbach's success against Bayern is the weirdest thing ever. I mean it's not like they are a mentality/cup team like Frankfurt.
I thought we broke the curse by buying Sommer, but, alas… :lol:
We can blame this one on being down to 10 men for 80+ minutes though

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Seriously how good is this guy why have i never heard of him :eek: :eek: :eek:
The player doesn't matter. Gladbach's run against Bayern stopped making sense years ago and now no matter which players are used and how both teams are in form you just know that there will be a Bayern crisis afterwards.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Really feels like the 80s when we could mail the points to Kaiserlautern. Unexplainable.
Great start, then an unexplainable red card and immediately falling behind from a standard. Can't make it up.

avgp_1

The player doesn't matter. Gladbach's run against Bayern stopped making sense years ago and now no matter which players are used and how both teams are in form you just know that there will be a Bayern crisis afterwards.
Tbf Kone was special today

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Frankfurt looking really good so far. Maybe a dark horse for the title?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Frankfurt looking really good so far. Maybe a dark horse for the title?
Not for the league for me. As usual they lack consistency.

But I think they have enough class to maybe win the cup again.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Not that this tells us some absolute truths, circumstances are different, etc.. - but Nagelsmann is closing in on Ancelotti's and Kovac's final ppg.

Not for the league for me. As usual they lack consistency.

But I think they have enough class to maybe win the cup again.
I was mainly trying to make fun of Sky, who I have no doubt will try to sell everyone all the way down to 6th place as title candidates for a week.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Good to see a ref not intimidated by Bayerns entitlement. Probably won't happen for another 20 games now that Nagelsmann et al have activated their usual propaganda.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What happened in Darmstadt @Kasper, massive fog bank in the stadium and some flashes of lightnign too, it looked like.

Good to see a ref not intimidated by Bayerns entitlement. Probably won't happen for another 20 games now that Nagelsmann et al have activated their usual propaganda.
I get that sentiment, but I'm not sure that the current Bayern leadership exerts the same kind of pressure on public opinion as Hoeneß or Rummenigge once did.

Last edited:

Dempsey19

Haven't been following Bundesliga at all this season but just had a quick look at the table.

Union Berlin can go top tomorrow if they beat Schalke. Whats going on here? Never heard much about them before.

What are they like ?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Haven't been following Bundesliga at all this season but just had a quick look at the table.

Union Berlin can go top tomorrow if they beat Schalke. Whats going on here? Never heard much about them before.

What are they like ?
Extremely well drilled defensive counter attacking team, usually fielding in a 532 system.

Their squad building concept is also a bit unusual, they mostly sign lots of players who are experienced but cheap because they were struggling for some reason, and then just see who sticks. So they have the biggest squad and highest amount of transfers in the league.

They are slowly leaving that status and start buying top players like Juranovic in the winter, but that's how they have quickly risen from second tier to top of the first.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Extremely well drilled defensive counter attacking team, usually fielding in a 532 system.

Their squad building concept is also a bit unusual, they mostly sign lots of players who are experienced but cheap because they were struggling for some reason, and then just see who sticks. So they have the biggest squad and highest amount of transfers in the league.

They are slowly leaving that status and start buying top players like Juranovic in the winter, but that's how they have quickly risen from second tier to top of the first.
They also quite possibly have the biggest home field advantage of any team in a major European league, especially now that covid restrictions are gone.
Their current home run has them at 25 wins, 15 draws and only 2 losses which is pretty insane for a team of their caliber.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That Hamburg goal was kind of weird. On the surface it looked like a very well executed attack, but aside from that little back-heel pass every move was telegraphed several seconds in advance, yet no Bielefeld defender seemed to have felt the need to step out of their structure and break the attacking chain.

Pintu

Adeyemi leaving up to the expectations... And now he has to walk out with an injury. That does look bad.

Pintu

How is Dortmund's shirt sponsor okay with that kit? Black logo on black background. :lol:

Nice goal by Adeyemi btw.
From a great assit by Reus.

And a wonderful assist by Adeyemi for the second... But that injury.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
As hopeless as the team is on the pitch I have to say Hertha actually have some vocal fans. Though I don't understand the deal with burning a "Wunderkerze" every 5 minutes.. it looked pretty random/pathetic, quite reminiscent of English fans... ... and what's up with the fan, who brought his own referee's whistle to the game and signaled final whistle every 30 seconds for the last 10 minutes of the game?

Also am I reading this correctly? Banter04 Leverkusen missed a penalty, taken - naturally, for the club - by their young CB and then 3 minutes later conceded a goal, because their other CB comitted a blunder? :lol: :drool:

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What the actual feck, Leverkusen? :houllier: :drool: :lol:

Also, interesting choice of scenery for the announcement:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What a fun game to close out the match day, wild stuff. One red card and nine yellow cards in the second half alone. Frimpong can probably count himself lucky not to have seen his second yellow card, too.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
We live so rent free in your head, it´s insane.
I apologize if I offended you, but it's just equal parts amazing and amusing to watch this all unfold from the outside. There's so many dumb cliches in football, but somehow they keep stepping into them. Like at this point you just know Hradecky is going to do something comical in the cup games, it happens again and again, yet he got a contract extension and is the team's captain.
And when he's actually doing well, like he did yesterday, you can almost bet on one of the of the center backs doing something stupid, like Tapsoba against Dortmund or Kossounou yesterday. It's like I said a few times before: if you just sit back and wait you can almost bank on a goal coming your way eventually.
Then you apparently have all the attackers shying away from the responsibility of a penalty, I mean in other teams some of the low scoring attackers (Azmoun?) would probably take the opportunity to break their dry spell or one of the experienced midfielders would step up.
Then you have these seemingly random implosions, like having complete dominance against Monaco only to somehow concede two late goals and lose.
And today it just all came together, the full set of Bayer bingo: Tapsoba having to take a penalty and missing, Kossounou shipping a goal, conceding a goal out of nowhere in the fourth minute of extra time, giving away a penalty a minute later (though VAR ended up overturning that one). Then they pull themselves together after the break and pin Mainz back until they equalize, but then they immediately fall apart, with Mainz just walking through them and only Hradecky holding on with two or three spectacular saves. Then things stabilize again, but oh wait, Adli ships a penalty and gets himself sent off, then Frimpong just blows a fuse and tries to get himself sent off and the whole game devolves into a card festival.
And not that it really matters, but a a bonus in the middle of all that Aranguiz is like: "oh yeah, let's announce my departure mid-game and while we're at it let's casually use our local rival's iconic landmark as a backdrop".

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
DFB Cup Quarter Finals draw:
Leipzig - Dortmund
Nürnberg - Stuttgart
Frankfurt - Union
Bayern - Freiburg

So the top six that all are smaller or bigger favourites to win the cup will meet each other and Nürnberg - Stuttgart means that at least one outsider will reach the semi final.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
DFB Cup Quarter Finals draw:
Leipzig - Dortmund
Nürnberg - Stuttgart
Frankfurt - Union
Bayern - Freiburg

So the top six that all are smaller or bigger favourites to win the cup will meet each other and Nürnberg - Stuttgart means that at least one outsider will reach the semi final.
Dortmund have some rough weeks ahead:
Leipzig (H) - Chelsea (A) and Schalke (A) within 8 days

and then later:
Bayern (A) - Leipzig (A) - Union (H) within 7 days, possibly a CL QF in the next mid-week slot.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I apologize if I offended you, but it's just equal parts amazing and amusing to watch this all unfold from the outside. There's so many dumb cliches in football, but somehow they keep stepping into them. Like at this point you just know Hradecky is going to do something comical in the cup games, it happens again and again, yet he got a contract extension and is the team's captain.
And when he's actually doing well, like he did yesterday, you can almost bet on one of the of the center backs doing something stupid, like Tapsoba against Dortmund or Kossounou yesterday. It's like I said a few times before: if you just sit back and wait you can almost bank on a goal coming your way eventually.
Then you apparently have all the attackers shying away from the responsibility of a penalty, I mean in other teams some of the low scoring attackers (Azmoun?) would probably take the opportunity to break their dry spell or one of the experienced midfielders would step up.
Then you have these seemingly random implosions, like having complete dominance against Monaco only to somehow concede two late goals and lose.
And today it just all came together, the full set of Bayer bingo: Tapsoba having to take a penalty and missing, Kossounou shipping a goal, conceding a goal out of nowhere in the fourth minute of extra time, giving away a penalty a minute later (though VAR ended up overturning that one). Then they pull themselves together after the break and pin Mainz back until they equalize, but then they immediately fall apart, with Mainz just walking through them and only Hradecky holding on with two or three spectacular saves. Then things stabilize again, but oh wait, Adli ships a penalty and gets himself sent off, then Frimpong just blows a fuse and tries to get himself sent off and the whole game devolves into a card festival.
And not that it really matters, but a a bonus in the middle of all that Aranguiz is like: "oh yeah, let's announce my departure mid-game and while we're at it let's casually use our local rival's iconic landmark as a backdrop".
Enjoy it, I´ll be back for Dortmunds annual eventual meltdown. :drool:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Enjoy it, I´ll be back for Dortmunds annual eventual meltdown. :drool:
I assume quite a few clubs would be happy if they had an annual meltdown into second place. ;)
But Dortmund have made their fair share of mistakes in recent years, so it's only fair if someone wants to point them out.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

I'm pretty surprised by this. He's not necessarily someone you can plan with as a starter, but he's still been a pretty valuable member of the squad in recent years. Could potentially be a great bargain for some of the clubs below Dortmund.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

I'm pretty surprised by this. He's not necessarily someone you can plan with as a starter, but he's still been a pretty valuable member of the squad in recent years. Could potentially be a great bargain for some of the clubs below Dortmund.
Hasn't he simply become fourth choice in midfield by now (behind Bellingham, Özcan and Can) and might be just to expensive to be that? Wouldn't be surprised with Dortmund either signing a younger player with potential or simply trusting someone like Kamara to step up.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Hasn't he simply become fourth choice in midfield by now (behind Bellingham, Özcan and Can) and might be just to expensive to be that? Wouldn't be surprised with Dortmund either signing a younger player with potential or simply trusting someone like Kamara to step up.
He was out for a long time with a busted shoulder and didn't really get a chance yet in Terzic's new setup. The trio you've mentioned are definitely ahead of him at the moment, but they are also starting every game, so he should be first in line to replace them. His skillset is also something that none of the other really offer - one that is actually very valuable to a top team in my opinion - and because of that he should be quite a useful tactical lever for Terzic, if he wants to take more risks in the center.
On top of that we have to assume that Bellingham is leaving in the summer and Can may do so as well, because despite the fact that he's been playing relatively well lately, his contract is expiring next year and from what's been reported he'd have to take a massive cut on his wages to extend. So the situation in midfield looks like it's going to change drastically over the summer. Reus hasn't extended yet either and even Brandt could leave, since he hasn't extended his contract yet and it expires in 2024, too.
Dortmund's u23 is having a very disappointing season, especially as far as developing the star talents goes and Kamara himself had a lengthy injury, so I wouldn't count on anyone earning a meaningful role next season, aside from Rothe becoming backup LB maybe.

In the end there's probably some reasonable explanation - e.g. that he's asking for too much promised playing time / salary / contract length. So I wouldn't lose my mind over letting him go. But depending on how the rebuild goes for Dortmund and how well Dahoud settles in at his new club, they could look pretty stupid in the long run, because when he's in form and playing with confidence, he can do pretty nice things with the ball.

Last edited:

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Would really like him at Leverkusen as we really need new midfielders in the summer. If he gets his injury problems in check he is a really good footballer.