German Football 22/23 | 2. Bundesliga returns | Hamburg vs Schalke 20:30 |

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I believe Marco Richter just scored his first goal since recovering from testicular cancer. He already came pretty close to a worldie in his first game against Dortmund.

Weigl on the bench.

The second cup round has also been drawn:

Not really any spicy games...
Augsburg - Bayern and Hoffenheim - Schalke are two Bundesliga duels.
Bochum in their current form might struggle against Elversberg.
Freiburg - St. Pauli, Leipzig - Hoffenheim, Hannover-Dortmund are sort of bigger/ish games in name I guess.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The second round of the cup has been drawn:

At first glance nothing truly interesting included I think?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Funny looking table after MD5. Few clubs are where they were supposed to be.

Naturally it's too early to tell where things might be heading for a lot of clubs, but Freiburg, Union and Bremen can probably claim to have genuinely impressed.
While Leipzig, Leverkusen and Bochum, to a lesser degree Wolfsburg, are at the "discreetly consider your options - just in case" stage.

Augsburg will get there, too if they don't get something against Bremen on Friday.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

Funny looking table after MD5. Few clubs are where they were supposed to be.
Do you really think so? In my opinion only Freiburg, Bremen, Leipzig, Leverkusen and Wolfsburg are more than 2 places away from the position I would expect them to be at the moment. Most clubs fighting for the European cups are already there, but profit from Leipzig, Leverkusen and Frankfurt having a bad start - though for the latter I am not surprised after their transfer period which caused a lot of unrest. Similarly everyone I expected to be in the relegation battle is already involved, only Bremen performed a bit better.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Do you really think so? In my opinion only Freiburg, Bremen, Leipzig, Leverkusen and Wolfsburg are more than 2 places away from the position I would expect them to be at the moment. Most clubs fighting for the European cups are already there, but profit from Leipzig, Leverkusen and Frankfurt having a bad start - though for the latter I am not surprised after their transfer period which caused a lot of unrest. Similarly everyone I expected to be in the relegation battle is already involved, only Bremen performed a bit better.
I guess it depends on how literal you take that sentence:
I had Bayern, Freiburg, Union, Mainz, Köln (debatable), Gladbach (debatable), Frankfurt, Leipzig, Leverkusen and Wolfsburg in mind. Freiburg and Union for example aren't just off, because Leipzig or Leverkusen had a bad start, they are level with Bayern/Dortmund.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I guess it depends on how literal you take that sentence:
I had Bayern, Freiburg, Union, Mainz, Köln (debatable), Gladbach (debatable), Frankfurt, Leipzig, Leverkusen and Wolfsburg in mind. Freiburg and Union for example aren't just off, because Leipzig or Leverkusen had a bad start, they are level with Bayern/Dortmund.
I see what you mean, yes. For me Bayern isn't that surprising at the moment, yes they are not first, but they aren't far off and after five games that's easy enough for another team to have a great start. Freiburg and Union where in the race for CL qualification last season, so seeing them in the top four now isn't too surprising I think.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Tedesco :lol:

Clubs hiring Tedesco :lol: :lol:
Hey, there are clubs still hiring Kovac. Already started throwing his team under the bus post match against Köln, and it's just Gameweek 5 :drool:
Wonder who's the next incompetent fool Schmadtke will line up to replace him come November. He'll need grade A charlatan credentials to not taint that fine van Bommel-Kohlfeld-Kovac lineage, but in Jörg we trust.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Hey, there are clubs still hiring Kovac. Already started throwing his team under the bus post match against Köln, and it's just Gameweek 5 :drool:
Wonder who's the next incompetent fool Schmadtke will line up to replace him come November. He'll need grade A charlatan credentials to not taint that fine van Bommel-Kohlfeld-Kovac lineage, but in Jörg we trust.
Maybe they'll go for international pedigree and sign Ole or Rodgers

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Sounds harsh on Kovac!? He did great with Frankfurt and as far as I'm aware he didn't get sacked for performance reasons by Monaco either. Bayern was just a size too big for him.
And the more coaches despair at Wolfsburg the more I'm inclined to shift blame from them to the squad (building).

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Sounds harsh on Kovac!? He did great with Frankfurt and as far as I'm aware he didn't get sacked for performance reasons by Monaco either. Bayern was just a size too big for him.
And the more coaches despair at Wolfsburg the more I'm inclined to shift blame from them to the squad (building).
Well, Wolfsburg has a shit squad and Max Kruse. First thing any manager has to do in that situation is to make sure that Kruse does his thing (leading relegation candidates somewhere into safe midtable regions).

Now Kovac has a shit squad and an unfit and moany Max Kruse. Obviously I'm delighted about this :devil: :lol:

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Holger Badstuber has retired. Makes me sad to think what could have been. His passing was something else. Especially his long range passing. Don't think I have ever seen another centre back capable of this kind of passing with such ease and regularity. A promising career completely destroyed by injuries.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Holger Badstuber has retired. Makes me sad to think what could have been. His passing was something else. Especially his long range passing. Don't think I have ever seen another centre back capable of this kind of passing with such ease and regularity. A promising career completely destroyed by injuries.
Hummels, Boateng (under Guardiola) and Bonucci. But yeah, the poor guy really had bad luck with injuries. I'm happy he focuses on the positive memories though.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Goalimpact with some hot takes:

Blackwidow

Hummels, Boateng (under Guardiola) and Bonucci. But yeah, the poor guy really had bad luck with injuries. I'm happy he focuses on the positive memories though.
Non of them left footed... (and no, Hummels and Boateng weren't that good)

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
As far as I remember he was on a clear downward trajectory when he got sacked in Monaco.
Kovac is out of his depth whenever something other than bus parking is required of his teams. And as soon he gets exposed, he starts dumping on his own players, the little dipsh*t.
What's astounding is, that many seem to buy into this horsesh*t. At Bayern, he really had a lot of people convinced into thinking our squad to be lacking on all fronts, even among our fanbase.
Now, he's pulling the same stunt again. You can argue Wolfsburg however you want, but they shouldn't be anywhere near the relegation spots.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
As far as I remember he was on a clear downward trajectory when he got sacked in Monaco.
Kovac is out of his depth whenever something other than bus parking is required of his teams. And as soon he gets exposed, he starts dumping on his own players, the little dipsh*t.
What's astounding is, that many seem to buy into this horsesh*t. At Bayern, he really had a lot of people convinced into thinking our squad to be lacking on all fronts, even among our fanbase.
Now, he's pulling the same stunt again. You can argue Wolfsburg however you want, but they shouldn't be anywhere near the relegation spots.
He didn't complain in Frankfurt and won the cup. I guess they had a perfect squad for him and the success he had there really built his reputation.

And also he is already the third manager in a little more than one season in Wolfsburg. Such situations always lead to people slowly suspecting the squad to be shit and excusing the manager as "nobody could fix this mess".

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He didn't complain in Frankfurt and won the cup. I guess they had a perfect squad for him and the success he had there really built his reputation.

And also he is already the third manager in a little more than one season in Wolfsburg. Such situations always lead to people slowly suspecting the squad to be shit and excusing the manager as "nobody could fix this mess".
I think cup victories are glorified too much. The tournament mode means that there is so much up to luck, especially in one off matches.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I think cup victories are glorified too much. The tournament mode means that there is so much up to luck, especially in one off matches.
I guess that's what happens when one team dominates the league... the cup becomes the title somebody else might win.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I'm really surprised and impressed by Dortmund's defensive performance so far. 5 clean sheets after 7 games this season (all competitions combined).

Last season it took them 23 (!) games to get 5 clean sheets. Still early days and gives no guarantees but really looks like a much more solid team so far.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Tell me you're a Leverkusen fan without telling me you're a Leverkusen fan :D
Knew this was coming :D But honestly, you can fluke a cup (and it regularly happens), you can't fluke the league. I don't think a cup title automatically makes you a top coach.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
After the home embarrassment against Donezk and the poor league start, we can assume Tedesco's time in Leipzig is over.
Especially since Marco Rose is available, who is not only a long-time Red Bull coach immersed in the kind of football RB has as a corporate identity, but who also actually is from Leipzig - a fact that will no doubt endear him with and ensure his support from the local fa... oh wait

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
After the home embarrassment against Donezk and the poor league start, we can assume Tedesco's time in Leipzig is over.
Especially since Marco Rose is available, who is not only a long-time Red Bull coach immersed in the kind of football RB has as a corporate identity, but who also actually is from Leipzig - a fact that will no doubt endear him with and ensure his support from the local fa... oh wait
:lol:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
And now it's official, Leipzig sacked Tedesco.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
And now it's official, Leipzig sacked Tedesco.
Great, could the cans not have sit on their hands at least a few more days? Now RB might already have someone familiar on the bench and something to prove vs. us on Saturday....

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Rosenball at Rasenball, eh? Could have done with some more DT, let's hope Rose doesn't disappoint us with a successful stint.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Knew this was coming :D But honestly, you can fluke a cup (and it regularly happens), you can't fluke the league. I don't think a cup title automatically makes you a top coach.
Totally agree. That's why DiMatteo has a CL title. Same number as Klopp actually when they shouldn't be in the same universe

Avram Grant was a Terry PK from winning the biggest club competition without a coaching license

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Remember when Tedesgone said that Leipzig wanted to extend his contract, but he told them to wait?

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Impressive, that everyone here knew that this is going to happen and Leipzig still continued with him. Who is next? Seoane could be next if he loses against Hertha. Kovac is going to be in trouble if he doesn't pick up points in the next few games. All three of them gone by matchday ~ 8-9 would be fun.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Impressive, that everyone here knew that this is going to happen and Leipzig still continued with him. Who is next? Seoane could be next if he loses against Hertha. Kovac is going to be in trouble if he doesn't pick up points in the next few games. All three of them gone by matchday ~ 8-9 would be fun.
Bochum also seem to be in trouble, Reis could also be gone soon.

Blackwidow

Not two weeks until the international break starts... Timing could not be better...

Rose really would be a story - starting with matches against BVB, Real Madrid and then Gladbach...

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Now Tuchel is suddenly available
Thats actually a scary thought. As much as I personally dislike his antics (although he appears to have grown as person in Paris and London), he is an absolute top class coach.