German Football 23/24 |

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Let's just say that Bayern's home fans aren't the most iconic crowd in Germany.
Well, yeah I am sure. But I like the way the Allianz looks and sounds. At least on the tv.

And you only need 60k great fans to have a great atmosphere. I’m sure they have that many. I feel like that’s more likely in Germany, as the ticket prices are still accessible.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
How's that penalty? Let alone a very clear one that VAR has to intervene?
Ridiculous decision

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Leverkusen definitely deserve something from this game, you can just tell Xabi Alonso will be a top manager.
Talks about him being our next manager. He did extend iirc but think he’ll get the job if the board really wants him.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Tel has played about 600min so far. What's his score, 7 goals one assist? Nice :)

Ok result, pen was very soft imo
I was actually shocked they VAR'd that. The way that Hofmann just stopped dead looked to me like he had nothing but drawing a foul on his mind. It's one thing if they award it in real time, but VAR?

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Let's just say that Bayern's home fans aren't the most iconic crowd in Germany.
Let's just say the legend is a cornerstone of German Football Folklore. Of course ist is mostly distributed by people who either never attended a match there, or were there once when their underdog team was down 4:0 after 30 min. I've been to matches in January in the old Olympiastadion when the crowd was a very cold 15000, ultras hadn't been invented yet, so I'm happy with how it is now. There were some brilliant nights we had over the years, atmosphere-wise; For example, this was deafening, i chouldnt share a word with my seat neighbor.

It is also worth mentioning that Bayern supporters have quite the reputation among their peers for being one of th loudest away crowds in the CL. naturally not every match is exciting. But that is even true for higher regarded arenas in Frankfurt or Dortmund, these days. I personally loved the atmosphere at Millerntor most. Would love to see Union at home.

Last edited:

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
I was actually shocked they VAR'd that. The way that Hofmann just stopped dead looked to me like he had nothing but drawing a foul on his mind. It's one thing if they award it in real time, but VAR?
Yeah if the ref had given it directly i wouldnt complain but VAR giving this is ridiculous.
That was less than the penalty for Havertz that the VAR took away.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Look at this:

His upper body is actually ahead of Davies, then he leans back into him and he actually moves his leg actively into Davies' path.

avgp_1

That’s what I see. They lack a little bit of athleticism, that ability to get up and down the pitch.
Think Leverkusen's pressing intensity makes it seem that way. A team with the likes of Davies, Upamecano, Kim, Sane, Laimer, Coman (when playing) etc is not short of athleticism, what they lack imo is cover in front of the defence.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Look at this:

His upper body is actually ahead of Davies, then he leans back into him and he actually moves his leg actively into Davies' path.
Hofmann is looking for the foul and there is obviously contact. I would understand a ref giving it and VAR not checking. But playing on and VAR has him look at it is really soft. Oh well, a draw is not undeserved for Leverkusen.
Not a good game by Bayern. They are missing Coman.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Hofmann is looking for the foul and there is obviously contact. I would understand a ref giving it and VAR not checking. But playing on and VAR has him look at it is really soft. Oh well, a draw is not undeserved for Leverkusen.
Not a good game by Bayern. They are missing Coman.
I think/hope we're past the time when every contact in the box seemed VARable. To me it seemed like Davies was just going after the ball, basically shoulder to shoulder with Hofmann. I didn't see him do anything but a normal running motion with his legs. The contact only happens, because Hofmann moves himself in front of him. Therefore it shouldn't be punishable.

I think in general German refs don't seem up to the pressure of these big games. It's bad enough that VAR sent him out there, but then Schlager also makes it a point to look at it for as little as humanly possible?
Some other game VAR will just deem that the most blatant offense is not a clear mistake and there's no need to let the ref look at it.

The worst part about this that this isn't really a flaw with the system, it's just comically inconsistent referees/VARs.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Definitely. Very clumsy by Davies but he clearly fouls Hofmann.
Hofmann definitely tried to get the penalty, but it's not his fault if Davies takes the bait. I don't like that such situations do result in penalties, but that's not me saying that the decision was wrong, just that I don't like some details of the rules

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Hofmann definitely tried to get the penalty, but it's not his fault if Davies takes the bait. I don't like that such situations do result in penalties, but that's not me saying that the decision was wrong, just that I don't like some details of the rules

I wouldn't even say it was that clumsy from Davies, he's not doing something deliberate with his left leg, it's behind his torso from the running motion. It's two players going after a loose ball and one of them decided he'd like a penalty and threw himself in front of the other. Hofmann's left leg appeared ready for take-off, before there's even a contact.

It's pretty scandalous to send this into review in the first place and an even bigger joke that Schlager tried to show off, by conducting a review of about three seconds. These guys should spend the next match days with Schalke and Hertha, but this stuff is as old as VAR and no one seems interested in quality control or enforcing a clear intervention threshold. But who can be surprised by this, considering they made Zwayer their poster boy, but got rid of Gräfe.

And to round things off they followed a generous line when Tapsoba tried to fix his own mistake by wrestling with Musiala, but 10 minutes later we get this manufactured penalty for the other side.

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Now imagine the outrage had Bayern been given this pen.

massi83

I wouldn't even say it was that clumsy from Davies, he's not doing something deliberate with his left leg, it's behind his torso from the running motion. It's two players going after a loose ball and one of them decided he'd like a penalty and threw himself in front of the other. Hofmann's left leg appeared ready for take-off, before there's even a contact.

It's pretty scandalous to send this into review in the first place and an even bigger joke that Schlager tried to show off, by conducting a review of about three seconds. These guys should spend the next match days with Schalke and Hertha, but this stuff is as old as VAR and no one seems interested in quality control or enforcing a clear intervention threshold. But who can be surprised by this, considering they made Zwayer their poster boy, but got rid of Gräfe.

And to round things off they followed a generous line when Tapsoba tried to fix his own mistake by wrestling with Musiala, but 10 minutes later we get this manufactured penalty for the other side.
:lol: you really have some mental issues when it comes to Leverkusen and Hradecky

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
:lol: you really have some mental issues when it comes to Leverkusen and Hradecky
I shared a tweet that contains video evidence (that looks clear as day to me) and a comment by some refereeing interest group and a comment by former Bundesliga ref Kinnhöfer. Manuel Gräfe wrote similar stuff on Twitter. Do they all have mental issues? If you can't engage with an argument, maybe it's best to stay quiet.

p.s. Hradecky had a very good game, I have no trouble saying that.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He must have been fuming witnessing this Hradecky performance yesterday.

Regarding the pen, I dont get the discussion, I knew it was a pen as soon as I saw the first replay. He hits Hofmanns calf, causing him to fall, end of story. Funny how some Bayern fans want to play victim when Davies punched Boniface after 10 seconds in the face causing him to bleed without Schlage even giving a foul.

massi83

I shared a tweet that contains video evidence (that looks clear as day to me) and a comment by some refereeing interest group and a comment by former Bundesliga ref Kinnhöfer. Manuel Gräfe wrote similar stuff on Twitter. Do they all have mental issues? If you can't engage with an argument, maybe it's best to stay quiet.

p.s. Hradecky had a very good game, I have no trouble saying that.
I searched your posts once about Hradecky, literally over 40 of them, all negative. Probably more now. Most of them factually wrong.

Why would I ever talk seriously with you anything related to Leverkusen? You are in the top 5 most biased posters on the site

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I searched your posts once about Hradecky, literally over 40 of them, all negative. Probably more now. Most of them factually wrong.

Why would I ever talk seriously with you anything related to Leverkusen? You are in the top 5 most biased posters on the site
If you're so upset about me besmirching the honour of the great Lukas Hradecky and you're unable to respond to my arguments, maybe the best course of action would be to not to reply to my post?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't know if anyone else watches this massive game, but a couple of minutes ago the ref in Elversberg decided to award them a penalty for what was essentially the attacker pulling the defenders shirt from behind and then going down. One of the most bizarre calls I've ever seen. Thankfully VAR actually did its job this time.

The life of Moukoko... scored two pretty decent goals for the u21 midweek, as a reward he finds himself on the bench probably praying that Füllkrug isn't fully fit yet and the game goes badly, so he can see some action. It also looks like Duranville didn't get fit in time after all.

also: two left backs, what is he thinking???

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I don't know if anyone else watches this massive game, but a couple of minutes ago the ref in Elversberg decided to award them a penalty for what was essentially the attacker pulling the defenders shirt from behind and then going down. One of the most bizarre calls I've ever seen. Thankfully VAR actually did its job this time.

The life of Moukoko... scored two pretty decent goals for the u21 midweek, as a reward he finds himself on the bench probably praying that Füllkrug isn't fully fit yet and the game goes badly, so he can see some action. It also looks like Duranville didn't get fit in time after all.

also: two left backs, what is he thinking???
What happened to the glorious (and expensive) Nmecha signing? Not 100% fit or what is the issue?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What happened to the glorious (and expensive) Nmecha signing? Not 100% fit or what is the issue?
I read somewhere he's still affected by his pre season injury and only playing on pain killers. There's also a lot of competition for him: Brandt is undroppable, because he's been the best attacking player this season and one of the few truly creative players and Sabitzer is at the very least solid and mature. Nmecha will have to earn his spot.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

He hates us so much he'd even ptefer Bayern to win the Bundesliga before us despite being a Dortmund fan :lol:

This discussion only happens because Bayern is involved. I mean, we're discussing two occasions in which the Bayern player clears hits a Leverkusen player without touching the ball. Bitter because it were unthreatening situations but they only have themselves tonblame for that

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
He hates us so much he'd even ptefer Bayern to win the Bundesliga before us despite being a Dortmund fan :lol:
That is not really strange though. If I had to choose who wins the league between Dortmund and Leverkusen, I‘d choose Dortmund as well.