Gerrard and Lampard: where are they 5 yrs on?

simplyared

Is Gerrard manager of Liverpool?

Is Lampard still a manager and if so at what level?

Looking like Gerrard’s managerial career is going in the right direction. Whereas Lampard’s short stay at Chelsea has thrown a spanner in the works maybe?

Thoughts on this. Maybe a bit of imagination needed here!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Gerrard failing at Liverpool would be glorious. Gerrard winning the Prem with Liverpool would be unbearable.

UmbroDays

Gerrard will be found out if/when he gets into a more competitive league

M Bison

Supports
York City
Gerrard nailed on for Liverpool in a year or 2, who knows how he’ll fare in that role but I can see it being a failure.

Lampard, I think he’ll do another PL job and fail then call it a day.

In summary, I think both we’ll be out of management in 5 years.

BarstoolProphet

I've been impressed with what Gerrard has achieved so far. People say it was a 50/50 league he joined but the reality is that it was more like 80/20 in favour of Celtic. But that might have worked to his favour though since finishing second to Celtic wouldn't have been seen as a failure. But he has also impressed in Europe. There's no doubt that the powers at Liverpool are watching him and I suspect they have him lined up to replace Klopp in the future. Would love to see him perform à la Dalglish' second spell as manager for Liverpool.

padzilla

Hipster
To be fair if Lampard was managing Rangers where the only credible opposition is managed by Neil Lennon he would probably still be in a job.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Gerrard just sacked from Liverpool.
Lampard manager of Watford for 10 games before being sacked for the 5th time.

Steve Bruce

I've been impressed with what Gerrard has achieved so far. People say it was a 50/50 league he joined but the reality is that it was more like 80/20 in favour of Celtic. But that might have worked to his favour though since finishing second to Celtic wouldn't have been seen as a failure. But he has also impressed in Europe. There's no doubt that the powers at Liverpool are watching him and I suspect they have him lined up to replace Klopp in the future. Would love to see him perform à la Dalglish' second spell as manager for Liverpool.
He's done a fantastic job at rangers & to overtake celtic considering where the 2 clubs have been over the last decade is a great feat.

However, the jump from Scottish football to English is massive. Rogers failed at Liverpool & went to Scotland & improved celtic immeasurably. Fair enough he's done a good job at Leicester but this time last year his club fell off a cliff and United from miles behind got their spot in the CL. The same will probably happen this season with Leicester.

I rate Rogers better than Gerrard, it'll be a monumental risk by Liverpool to replace klopp with Gerrard

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I actually think Gerrard is more shrewd than most give him credit for. I don’t see him following on from Klopp if Klopp is leaving behind a peaked and expended squad without the resources to overhaul it.

I won’t be surprised if he tries his hand in a Championship side with solid resources or at a European club and picks his moment to take on Liverpool when expectations are lower.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I think Chelsea was a bad choice for Lampard. I can understand why he took it, but they have a distinct philosophy when it comes to managers and many experienced coaches didn't last long. I feel that having brought in a relatively inexperienced manager, they should have done so with the idea that there would be highs and lows. If they were expecting more immediate results then he wasn't the right person. Though with the transfer ban their options were probably pretty limited. I saw a few posts on here that described his tenure at Derby as a failure, which I disagree with. I think he did a decent job there and while he was lucky with loan signings there were plenty of problems with that squad. I think he left too early and it was a steep jump in terms of expectation and pressure. I'm going to take a random guess that in 5 years time he'll still be managing and he'll be a premier league manager, probably around midtable.

I haven't really seen anything of Gerrard managing but it certainly looks like he's doing a very good job and has had good results domestically and in Europe. I saw a quote about being Liverpool manager where he mentioned that having been a good player for them makes feck all difference about him being a good manager for them, which I guess points at the fact he knows that he'll have to grow as a manager as he did a player. I think he'll stay at Rangers for a while as he's at a prestigious club and will be writing himself into their history. He'll have to be intelligent about his next choice of club though as your stock as a manger can rapidly fluctuate depending on how the season is going. In 5 years time I'm going to go with him managing Leicester.

He's done a fantastic job at rangers & to overtake celtic considering where the 2 clubs have been over the last decade is a great feat.

However, the jump from Scottish football to English is massive. Rogers failed at Liverpool & went to Scotland & improved celtic immeasurably. Fair enough he's done a good job at Leicester but this time last year his club fell off a cliff and United from miles behind got their spot in the CL. The same will probably happen this season with Leicester.

I rate Rogers better than Gerrard, it'll be a monumental risk by Liverpool to replace klopp with Gerrard
Did Rodgers fail at Liverpool? I wouldn't call him a success because he didn't win anything, but I wouldn't call him a failure either. Before Klopp he took Liverpool closer to the premier league title than any manager they'd had previously, while playing a very entertaining brand of football (discounting his last season). He was voted LMA manager of the year in 2013-2014 despite falling short of the title, so I think he did an ok job but falls short of being a true success. He did have previous in the premier league also, having brought up Swansea through the playoffs and guiding them to 11th in their first ever premier league season (with Danny fecking Graham leading the line).

They did drop off last season but they had a few key injuries and haven't got as much depth as the big sides. I've said this earlier in a different thread but I think they're definitely hitting top 4 this season. Not that this is relevant to the thread but I thought I'd spout my shit anyway.

Agila Dathi

Lampard will replace Moyes at West Ham at some point, will probably have a spell with Celtic in the meantime. He will then rejoin Chelsea and get fired after 18 months.

Gerrard will replace Klopp, that's for sure. If Klopp leaves him a decent squad I can see Gerrard doing fine with Liverpool, but if he'll have to start rebuilding the team I'm not sure he can last long there since he will also have to win the net spend trophy

Needham

Gerrard nailed on for Liverpool in a year or 2, who knows how he’ll fare in that role but I can see it being a failure.

Lampard, I think he’ll do another PL job and fail then call it a day.

In summary, I think both we’ll be out of management in 5 years.
Gerrard would be thick as feck to take the job after Klopp. Needs their Moyes to lay the groundwork for him to be the returning hero.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

I wouldn’t class Rodgers as failed at Liverpool. He turned them into a machine

Anyway,
Lampard will be full time pundit.
Gerrard will be managing Liverpool

Steve Bruce

I wouldn’t class Rodgers as failed at Liverpool. He turned them into a machine

Anyway,
Lampard will be full time pundit.
Gerrard will be managing Liverpool
Nearly doing something 1 season but winning nothing & very average seasons the rest of the time isn't success to me at a club like Liverpool.

However everyone sees things differently, I'm just explaining why I deemed him as failed.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Realistically there is only a handful of managers who are capable of effectively managing a title-challenging club in one of the big leagues. It's nothing personal but the odds are stacked against either manager breaking into that absolute top tier and Lampard has probably missed his opportunity for the next few years at least.

Nearly doing something 1 season but winning nothing & very average seasons the rest of the time isn't success to me at a club like Liverpool.

However everyone sees things differently, I'm just explaining why I deemed him as failed.
Well he took Liverpool the closest they've been to a league title in over 20 years with a decent, but not great squad. Their stock post Hodgson wasn't that high to merit lofty expectations of success IMO.

I'm not sure he's the best manager to highlight the obvious difference in standard between Scotland and England. His reputation as a talented coach who plays attractive football was secure before joining Celtic and it didn't really change that much. He showed the same attributes in Glasgow - running over the top of poorer opposition with attacking football and occasionally getting pumped in Europe due to a lack of pragmatism. After all he left England as manager of Liverpool and the rejoined as manager of Leicester. Arsenal should have picked him up from Celtic, but they made a mess of it. I know I'm being a bit precious about it, but the Scottish league has churned out a production line of managers who have succeeded in England over the years.