Get rid of off-side rule - Marco van Basten

Lentwood

Taken from a Sky Sport article, currently available online. I would be interested to hear people's opinions on this.

"Marco van Basten wants rid of the offside rule. Perhaps you have heard that before when it made headlines around the world and assumed it to be some flight of fancy. Think again. The Dutch legend still believes football should follow hockey and scrap offsides.

"I am still very curious about the offside rule because I am convinced that it is not a good rule," Van Basten tells Sky Sports. "At least I would like to trial it to show that football is also possible without the offside rule. I am convinced that football would be better without it"

Personally, I am convinced that football needs to change to attract a new era of fans. Sure, it will always have the old stalwarts and that generally means the people reading this post. However, does football really appeal to younger fans nowadays? The competition is increasingly hot, not just from other sports but from technological advances in other areas such as video gaming, social media and the availability of content on streaming services such a Netflix and Amazon Prime.

I often consider, would I get into football today, as it is now, if I had no prior knowledge or affiliation with the sport...and the answer to that is that I might play it but I probably wouldn't watch it. In fact, I watch fewer and fewer matches now anyway and mainly only really watch United and England games. Let's be honest, the vast majority of matches are either irrelevant, played out between teams who have no hope of actually winning anything or very drab, tactical cagey affairs.

Fundamentally, I believe that this boils down to it being too easy to defend. In cricket, pundits often talk about the balance between 'bat and ball' and the importance of making it an even contest for the good of the sport. I feel that currently, it's too easy for teams to sit deep, pack the defence, pack the midfield and keep it tight. I remember reading an interview with Sam Allardyce even 10yrs ago, in which he stated he could play 4-5-1 in training and easily play out an entire XI vs XI game without the 'attacking' side creating a real chance on goal.

There was a time when teams had to really work to grind out a 0-0 or a 0-1 victory. I can remember games back in the 90s with heroic goalkeeping performances or amazing defensive performance, as well as healthy doses of luck and poor finishing aiding the defending team. Nowadays, it doesn't take anything particularly special. It just feels like average teams can turn-up, park the bus and without doing anything special, make it virtually impossible for the opponent to score. Add in to the mix the number of goals which result from set-pieces and it's too easy for sides to base their entire game-plan around sitting deep and trying to nick one at a set-piece. That's not good enough. That's not a spectacle for viewers. Who really want's to see a team defend with 10 and their opponents just moving the ball side-to-side-to-side-to-side for 90 minutes trying to eventually drag someone out of position or force a mistake? Just to repeat, I have no issues with teams turning up to defend, but if they do it should be HARD. It should be very difficult to pull off.

Now, if you consider how football can change to try and move the powershift between defenders and attackers, I believe there are a number of 'quick wins' that ought to be implemented ASAP. I think these could easily be implemented without too much fuss. These include -;

1) Stopping the clock when the ball goes out of play to stop time-wasting
2) Making the goals in professional (league) football two feet wider and two feet taller to account for the fact that the average GK has increased in size from 5ft 11" to 6ft 3" over the last 20 years
3) Issuing 'Green' Sin Bin cards to players who commit tactical fouls. This would cover those circumstances were a player chops a player down who is breaking into a dangerous position. These situations warrant more than a Yellow card, which is no real punishment considering only a tiny percentage of footballers pick up two yellows in a game. If teams knew they would lose a player for 15 minutes, these tactical fouls would stop.

I would like to see all of the above changes made, however, the subject of removing offsides is one that I am completely unsure about. On the one hand, I can see why we might want to remove offsides. Currently, teams are squeezing right up the pitch and matches are becoming condensed into 50 yard areas of pitches that are 100 yards+

On the other hand, I feel if you removed offsides completely, it would be difficult to stop players just goal-hanging. In football, unlike hockey who removed offsides from their game, it doesn't require much skill to just hit a long ball over the top. I could see managers like Allardyce and Dyche totally ruining the game if we did away with offsides altogether. We'd have Peter Crouch and Nikola Zigic out of retirement and marking the GK with 8 players behind them lumping it forward to try and get some kind of flick-on into the goal...which would be awful.

Therefore, my feeling on this is how about a compromise? How about keep offsides but change the rule to say that players can be offside ONLY if they are beyond the 18yard line? In the modern era of VAR, this would be fairly easily to police and even without VAR, it's only the same as having the offside line drawn on the halfway line.

This way, my hope is that you would do away with the goal-hanging because forwards couldn't stand in the box and mark the GK, however, defensive lines would probably have to drop 20 yards and this would massively open up the pitch and create more space for creative players. Running with the ball, dribbling and long passing would all suddenly come back into the game. Teams might still be able to try and put low-blocks in-place but I don't feel this would be a particularly viable tactic if attacking teams only had to worry about offsides from the 18yard line. If teams did try and defend all game, you could just position attackers right on the 'edge' of offside and eventually you'd work the ball through to them and create chances.

How do people feel about this? Does football need to change? Is the balance between attack and defence out? Is football in it's current guise an exciting product? What are the potential problems? What are the viable alternatives?

Teja

I think you might have bolded the wrong bit and people will knee jerk into talking about goal hanging. What he actually says is:

Therefore, my feeling on this is how about a compromise? How about keep offsides but change the rule to say that players can be offside ONLY if they are beyond the 18yard line? In the modern era of VAR, this would be fairly easily to police and even without VAR, it's only the same as having the offside line drawn on the halfway line.
I think his points are fair. Football does get compressed into 30-40 yards of a pitch when the actual pitch is 100 yards+. Having players more spread out would mean more dribbling / more exciting attacking play instead of having these tactical cagey affairs we seem to have these days.

OleBoiii

Removing the offside rule entirely would be the biggest shake-up in football for a very long time. Playing a high line would suddenly be dangerous. The role of a CB would definitely change. As would the role of central midfielders, who suddenly have much more space to run with the ball.

It would solve all those hopeless offside calls and bring back some of the hype, but I'm not sure if the large change in the metagame is worth it. I don't care if it makes football easier to get into for outsiders. Feck them, it's not that difficult to understand!

acnumber9

Surely no offside would encourage shit teams to defend even deeper.

Hoof the ball

Teams would be too scared about the vast space all over the field, and would then revert to a cautious defensive block, and thus make the game dull.

OleBoiii

Surely no offside would encourage shit teams to defend even deeper.
Nah, they'd sit just as deep. No point in sitting deeper and risk shots from a good distance.

They would however keep a striker close to the opponent's goal at all times. Which in return would force the attacking team to drop some defenders down. Which would create more space in the centre. So you're right that shit teams benefit from this rule, but in a different way.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
There have been 10 seasons in the Premier League with average goals per game > 2.7 and 9 of those seasons have come since 2009-2010. Your memories of rampant exciting football in the 1990s are just faulty. There were a million drab 0-0 and 1-0 matches in those years.

Hoof the ball

There have been 10 seasons in the Premier League with average goals per game > 2.7 and 9 of those seasons have come since 2009-2010. Your memories of rampant exciting football in the 1990s are just faulty. There were a million drab 0-0 and 1-0 matches in those years.
The nostalgia of Liverpool-Newcastle 4-3 classics is what does it. You always seem to remember an absolute ton of goals.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think you might have bolded the wrong bit and people will knee jerk into talking about goal hanging. What he actually says is:

I think his points are fair. Football does get compressed into 30-40 yards of a pitch when the actual pitch is 100 yards+. Having players more spread out would mean more dribbling / more exciting attacking play instead of having these tactical cagey affairs we seem to have these days.
Nothing boring about these. Exciting football doesn't only entail rushing counter attacks

FujiVice

This whole "giving away fouls" rule is a bit dumb, too. Could do with getting rid of that.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Modern football is too far compressed. Individual duels matter less than they used to. Skinning a player is these days is more about making space for a pass or shot than actually carrying the ball, long passing is not as valuable as it used to be either.

Basically, offside in tandem with a matured development of organisational play, has created an effective pitch of play much smaller than the game intends. I'd welcome revisions that would stretch play more.

And definitely a sin bin for professional fouls, which is basically just the modern solution to play being so compressed on a pitch meant for more expansive play. It's been a far too successful tactical option for modern coaches.

As football has become super professional, athletic and tactical the game has lost some excitement imo.

I think Van Basten has a point it's worth a trial in a few friendlies.

Personally I can see football branching off into different rule based games - like Rugby has league and union formats.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Having no offside rule would lead to some pretty ugly long ball football.
A friendly exhibition match would be interesting but it would take years for teams to fully adapt tactically to no offsides.
They’ve tested it already. Seemed to work ok. It wouldn’t take that long to adapt. They did the same thing with field hockey and everyone got used to it quickly enough. I’m with Van Basten on this. Most obvious rule change in a while. Fixes so many problems.

Teja

Nothing boring about these. Exciting football doesn't only entail rushing counter attacks
Hmm, It's hard to define exciting when it comes to football - one of those we know it when we see it kind of things.

I do enjoy watching teams press as well, but mostly I think the real pulse racing stuff happens when players are taking on opponents, running with the ball and the game's more end to end rather than just a pattern of --> defense --> transition --> play ball from side to side looking for 1v1s / defensive errors --> lose the ball + transition to defense.

With the amount of structure teams have these days, football is almost turning into American football. Players are robots executing precise scripted instructions on what to do in every situation they might encounter in a game.

I think having more space / more chaos will result in better viewing than what we have now.

OleBoiii

Modern football is too far compressed.
That is true. 80-90% of the games where a big team is involved are practically the same. The small team sits deep and aims for 0-0 or a cheeky 1-0 from a counter. The whole narrative is essentially always "will Big Dog FC finally trip up and fail to score"?

There's some charm to that too of course, but open games are almost always more fun.

TsuWave

would be entertaining in the sense of more goals, but it would also lead to long balling and just parking your striker(s) up there.

teams making use of the offside trap and setting up defensively to exploit is also a core part of the game so not sure we would be better off without that element.

defenders already have it tough with handballs, minimal contact and diving etc. adding no offside rule would be just wow

Drz

Can you just define offside by furthest foot forward?

Forget the elbow, arm or head designation and just go with feet positioning.
As it should have been from the beginning.
But no offsides at all is actually interesting to ponder, particularly when you see how Pep's teams use possession football as a defensive measure as well as an offensive one.

Withnail

They’ve tested it already. Seemed to work ok. It wouldn’t take that long to adapt. They did the same thing with field hockey and everyone got used to it quickly enough. I’m with Van Basten on this. Most obvious rule change in a while. Fixes so many problems.

They'd need to trial it for a season somewhere so everyone gets used to it to see what it would really be like though.

You could tell the players/managers really weren't familiar or comfortable with what they were being asked to do.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
They'd need to trial it for a season somewhere so everyone gets used to it to see what it would really be like though.

You could tell the players/managers really weren't familiar or comfortable with what they were being asked to do.
I’d say they weren’t familiar or comfortable during the first few games after banning the backpass.

Hoof the ball

Modern football is too far compressed. Individual duels matter less than they used to. Skinning a player is these days is more about making space for a pass or shot than actually carrying the ball, long passing is not as valuable as it used to be either.
The irony that this statement is coming from a Liverpool fan. :lol:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Fundamentally, I believe that this boils down to it being too easy to defend. In cricket, pundits often talk about the balance between 'bat and ball' and the importance of making it an even contest for the good of the sport. I feel that currently, it's too easy for teams to sit deep, pack the defence, pack the midfield and keep it tight. I remember reading an interview with Sam Allardyce even 10yrs ago, in which he stated he could play 4-5-1 in training and easily play out an entire XI vs XI game without the 'attacking' side creating a real chance on goal.

There was a time when teams had to really work to grind out a 0-0 or a 0-1 victory. I can remember games back in the 90s with heroic goalkeeping performances or amazing defensive performance, as well as healthy doses of luck and poor finishing aiding the defending team. Nowadays, it doesn't take anything particularly special. It just feels like average teams can turn-up, park the bus and without doing anything special, make it virtually impossible for the opponent to score. Add in to the mix the number of goals which result from set-pieces and it's too easy for sides to base their entire game-plan around sitting deep and trying to nick one at a set-piece. That's not good enough. That's not a spectacle for viewers. Who really want's to see a team defend with 10 and their opponents just moving the ball side-to-side-to-side-to-side for 90 minutes trying to eventually drag someone out of position or force a mistake? Just to repeat, I have no issues with teams turning up to defend, but if they do it should be HARD. It should be very difficult to pull off.
Statistically it's simply not the case. The most defensive eras of football were in the 1980s and into some of the 1990s. Since then it has become far more attacker-friendly as a result of stricter refereeing, the backpass rule, relaxing the offside rule, 3 points for a win, better pitches, etc. If you watch a random European Cup Final from that period, such as the Marseille - Red Star borefest, or Steau - Barcelona, the odds were stacked much more in favour of the defensive underdogs than they ever would be today. Or you can look at how many points league winners amass now on average and compare it to the 1990s and it shows that defensive teams aren't stopping attacking teams from racking up unprecendented points totals.

2) Making the goals in professional (league) football two feet wider and two feet taller to account for the fact that the average GK has increased in size from 5ft 11" to 6ft 3" over the last 20 years
Again, the evidence is in the number of goals per game, which is broadly similar and has slightly increased over the course of recent decades. But in practice the increase in goalkeeper height is offset by much more responsive balls that wobble erratically in the air, along with faster, watered surfaces for any shots that skim along the deck. For instance, the signature Thierry Henry side-foot in the bottom corner and the Lionel Messi dink were so much more difficult on the dry and bobbly pitches that were commonplace previously.

3) Issuing 'Green' Sin Bin cards to players who commit tactical fouls. This would cover those circumstances were a player chops a player down who is breaking into a dangerous position. These situations warrant more than a Yellow card, which is no real punishment considering only a tiny percentage of footballers pick up two yellows in a game. If teams knew they would lose a player for 15 minutes, these tactical fouls would stop.
Agree there is an issue here that needs to be addressed. The sport has been slow to pick up on tactical fouling and referees are often naive to realise when it's getting used in front of them.

youngrell

I wouldn't fancy being a defender (never have to be fair) if it was scrapped altogether, but the 18 yard rule sounds pretty good to me.

It opens up more space on the pitch, but not the whole pitch to encourage 'cheating'.