Giles warns against complacency

Slabber

Spinner Ashley Giles says England's experience on their last Pakistan tour, five years ago, will prevent them from being complacent on this trip.
"It is going to be a very different challenge and if we go into it lightly it could bite us quite hard," he said.

"We have to be ready, we have to play hard and hopefully if we come out on top we can enjoy our Christmas

"Last time, in 2000, it was very tough, it went down to the last night in Karachi and it might happen again."

Giles took 17 wickets in three Tests on the last trip, his first full series in the England side, and the tourists won a thrilling final Test in the dark in Karachi.

His spin partner in that side was Surrey's Ian Salisbury and the selectors sprang a similar shock this time in calling up Shaun Udal of Hampshire and Warwickshire's Alex Loudon.

Speaking to a news conference on the eve of the side's Tuesday departure, Giles said he would like to bowl in tandem with another slow bowler.

"I always enjoy bowling with another spinner because you pick up a better rhythm and you get through your overs quickly so you can create pressure," he said.

"We've yet to see the wickets - we understand they've been re-laid so they might be quicker and bouncier.

"Maybe we will play two [spinners] and I'm looking forward to pairing up with one of these guys."

I'll just continue to do what I've done I've done for Hampshire in the last couple of years and hope that's good enough
Shaun Udal

Off-spinner Udal admitted his call-up was a surprise but is hoping to make his Test debut at the age of 36.

He played the last of 10 one-day internationals in 1995, but was selected after an impressive summer, when he took 44 County Championship wickets at an average of 18.90.

"There's no doubt that Ashley's number one. I'm just there to do whatever is needed - if I don't play, I don't play," he said.

"If I do I'll just continue to do what I've done I've done for Hampshire in the last couple of years and hope that's good enough," he said.

"It's obviously a big step up from county level to Test match cricket."

But Udal admitted he is just one of the options available to England instead of injured fast bowler Simon Jones.

"Without seeing the pitches that Pakistan are going to prepare it's very difficult to say," he added.

"James Anderson is proven at international level, there's Liam Plunkett, who's a wonderful young cricketer and myself and Alex Loudon."

"There are plenty of options so whatever they prepare for us I'm sure we'll be ready."