Glazers / Woodward out! (One down)

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
The brands you mentioned died because they had no market or didn't stay competitive.

the United crest well, It's a brand that is vigorously marketed so it won't just fade away and the marketeers are using the romantic notion of legacy and history. It's marketing gold.
As long as there is some investment in the team then there can be a place in the current market.

If this business was just local fans with no romantic appeal the glazers wouldn't have touched it but instead we've global sponsors and millions of "fans" (customers) outside Manchester that have bought into this romance created by the brand marketing. You're one of them obviously. United exist to generate cash from customers and that's it. Yesterday's announcement is further proof.

This is not Manchester United. Its a multinational company owned by Americans and that's the way its run.
Who said anything about "local fans"? Fans are the fuel of a football club, whether local or global. Nokia, the #1 mobile phone brand, at the rise of mobility "had no market" but Manchester United has a God-givrn brand that is untouchable? United is a multinational company but Kodak wasn't? What are you even talking about, mate? :)

All these companies tanked because they fecked up and missed the fundamentals. Glazers are morons who do not understand their audience (fans and players who hate where they are going) and their "business" (European football is nothing without relegation and competitiveness). They will break this if they keep acting like morons

I for one have no intention watching the Super-shitty League and if anybody cares for the sport, they probably feel the same

dabeast

"I have seen many things in my life. I was a criminal lawyer. I have never seen people like that," said Ceferin. "If I start with Ed Woodward, he called me last Thursday evening saying he’s very satisfied with and fully supports the reforms and the only thing he wants to talk about was Financial Fair Play when obviously he had already signed something else."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c.../fifa-warning-manchester-united-city-20423461

Surely our club deserves less weaselly representation?

redmanx

"I have seen many things in my life. I was a criminal lawyer. I have never seen people like that," said Ceferin. "If I start with Ed Woodward, he called me last Thursday evening saying he’s very satisfied with and fully supports the reforms and the only thing he wants to talk about was Financial Fair Play when obviously he had already signed something else."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c.../fifa-warning-manchester-united-city-20423461

Surely our club deserves less weaselly representation?
I just read that EUFA have told all the clubs who have signed up to the super league and are still in European competitions now that they are to thrown out as from Friday and that alternative arrangements and fixtures will be made for the remaining clubs in order to finish each competition. Seems EUFA mean business!

Woodzy

So, hypothetically, lets say this Super League falls through - what do we think this means for the Glazers?

Has to be the end of the line surely?

This could well be a 'Can a loss be a win?' moment.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Yes, could well be just that.

Joel doing his own 'heavy-hitting' from now on, making a bid to replace his father as the 'big chief' of the Glazer clan?
Joel's been the de facto face of the family since they bought the club, hasn't he? Old Malc at that point had just suffered a debilitating stroke and wasn't actively involved with the family business anymore.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
So, hypothetically, lets say this Super League falls through - what do we think this means for the Glazers?

It has to be. If fans really don’t want this franchise approach then this is absolutely the last chance they have if it’s not already too late. The one saving grace is that there are more fans than just our club. It’s gone political. The fall out from this may actually change things if fans push back hard enough

Kaos

Hoping they feck off back to the states and take their creepy man baby Woodward with them, only to find another American sports franchise to leech the life out of.

Ed9

Joel Glazer after we got knocked out of CL: I'm gonna build my own league. With black jack and hookers!

bsCallout

Could this be the end for the Glazers? If this doesn't go through, might they deem United a waste of time as they cannot achieve their aims?

Edit: sorry, basically already been asked.

redtilded121

It has to be. If fans really don’t want this franchise approach then this is absolutely the last chance they have if it’s not already too late. The one saving grace is that there are more fans than just our club. It’s gone political. The fall out from this may actually change things if fans push back hard enough
and keep pushing not accepting a few concessions

Chabon

They’ll try and use Woodward as a human shield, hoping that defenestrating him will take some of the anger off them. Which, obviously, will be very funny.

johnny1980

Maybe i am being too simplistic.
But surely if the majority of players come out and say that they will not play in the ESL then its dead before it starts
Just imagine the likes of Messi and ronaldo coming out and saying no thanks it will crumble and i hope this is the end of the scum Glazers and Woodward
Another thing i have read is about the German 51% fan ownership.if anything good comes out of this whole mess is that i hope this becomes law for clubs in the uk

alexanderplatz

I know this is probably a power play to force uefa to do something but it is annoying that the clubs name has been dragged through the mud. The cynicism of the owners and their staff is very difficult to deal with. I would love if this backfired so badly that fan ownership was forced upon them by the government but I doubt anything of the sort will happen. Sad that this has overshadowed some of the actual sporting improvements that have been made after many years of stagnation or decline.

Crustanoid

I would love this but sadly these boils on the anus of humanity will most likely stick around to work out new ways of sucking money out of the clubs history

Edit, or sell and then buy City in a hostile takeover once City have bought a bit more history

Lappen

I could be wrong but is the last years of ovehyping "the United way" and "United DNA" only a plan to fool us supporters to accept this shit.

DanClancy

Strange timing by Avram Grant last month to sell more shares, you've got to wonder where the Glazers turns to if this doesn't happen. Not much scope for increasing revenue without it.

George the Cat

I remember this thread when we had weird posters defending the Glazers. Funny.
There was a thread last month when one of them sold a percentage of their shares , it was the same then. Some of the crap posted about ‘his money’ and it being ‘clever’

NoLogo

I remember this thread when we had weird posters defending the Glazers. Funny.
Oh they are back in the "The Disgusting Hypocrisy of Sky Sports and the Premier League" explaining why this is all okay, because the league was already unfair. It's the same kinda crowd that thinks blood money isn't a bad thing in football because otherwise the title monopoly of big bad United could have never been broken.

Lappen

Ole and the team seem totally perplexed by all this news too so I would say no
Yes, you are right!
I didn't mean it as a stick to Ole and the players, I ment that Woodward and the Glazers hired Ole end all the others old players in a plan towards supporters. Quit smart using Ole and the players to get the message out about the club value the old ways and clubhistory. Its harder to go against the old heroes.

Jezpeza

I remember all the times i was shouted down for suggesting the glazers sole target was the top 4 and associated money. Theyve only ever invested when we miss it.

signing nobody this summer

Suvvernmanc

I hope not. It would undermine a good season. We've earned a top 4 finish. We've earned an FA cup final. We haven't earned the title so I don't want it.
Your comment sums up exactly why the ESL is such a shit move idea. Fair play. If I were in a Leicester fans position, I'd be the same. What a shite situation were all in.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I wonder what @Adnan think about this whole mess. The last time we discussed he was pretty pro Woodward. He even claimed that the guy was better then Gill. He hasn't posted anything about this mess. Surely it's a coincidence

Maticmaker

Joel's been the de facto face of the family since they bought the club, hasn't he? Old Malc at that point had just suffered a debilitating stroke and wasn't actively involved with the family business anymore.
Yes as far as United was concerned Joel has always been the big 'Glazer Cheese', but in the wider clan interests he was given a run for his money by one of the brothers who runs things in the states and his sister, both have interests in American football clubs and eventually sold their interest in United to the remaining brothers.
On the ground though at OT Joel was a 'figure-head' but he relied on Ed Woodward for the 'moving and shaking' but now it seems Ed is moving on?
Joel's apparent leading interest in this new venture could signal his move to take total control, or it could even signal the Glazers are ready to pull out and are looking for 'a soft place to fall'; where, after frightening the life out of the fans, they will seek to 'realise the asset' sell United and escape with their ill-gotten goods.
We (by that I mean the collective 'we')would be so glad to see the back of the Glazers, that the Government, UEFA/FIFA and uncle Tom Cobbly and all will even help them pack!
Its a nice dream, but you never know!

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I wonder what @Adnan think about this whole mess. The last time we discussed he was pretty pro Woodward. He even claimed that the guy was better then Gill. He hasn't posted anything about this mess. Surely it's a coincidence
I was wondering this too. I enjoy Adnans posts but I haven't seen his opinion on the ESL. For what it’s worth I thought the organisation had finally turned a corner this season.. How wrong I was.

matt10000

These owners are so far removed from the fans it is untrue. What is sporting about a cartel? Nothing and so it can not be counted as sport and I won’t watch it

They aren't going anywhere; they couldn't give a shit what the fans think, there's too much money at stake for them. This ESL is what they've wanted all along: full control of global broadcasting income, which will be worth a fortune. They didn't flinch back in 2005-06, so they certainly won't just as the golden egg is about to be laid.