Glazers / Woodward out! (One down)

stubie

Plus he’s worth 3.2 billion. He’d have to sell all his assets to buy us. He’d be homeless.

It’s either a state or some crazy rich billionaire whose net worth is over 30 billion who could afford us. There’s a chance that some company could buy us but how many companies buy football clubs.
Aren't Spurs owned by a company

Also Sky almost brought us back in 1998

DOM6284

The Glazers are the main culprits in this debacle. They are looking for a big juicy profit on the sale of their main asset. They know their's a fortune to be made by the sale of this club and it's a seller's market so they are not going to pump the money back into buying players to make Manchester United great again. Ed Woodward is mainly a puppet who is getting pulled by their strings.

Ed Woodward is not without blame though. He is an extremely gifted money making accountant and his value to the club in terms of raising revenue is second to none. We probably have official toothpick sponsors, hot beverage sponsors and next season we'll probably sign a toilet roll sponsor to help us sort this sh*t right out. "He is not a football person though". I feel he needs to step down from the player recruitment side of things and the appointment of a Director of Football who has the decision power on how to spend a set budget and knows the game along with a defined transfer strategy is essential for the future of this club.

Ultimately I welcome the day when the Glazers are no longer a drain on this club. I just hope we don't have to wait for long.

Last edited:
Reactions: Niall

Yakuza_devils

Till now I still can't believe that they failed to convince Kloop to join us when he was available and our main competitor was only Liverpool. 9.9 out of 10 time manager will choose us rather than Pool. We were also being labelled adult Disneyland by Kloop after interview with Ed. What a twist of fate! We could have been the more successful version of Liverpool now with the resources we have.

Icemav

Till now I still can't believe that they failed to convince Kloop to join us when he was available and our main competitor was only Liverpool. 9.9 out of 10 time manager will choose us rather than Pool. We were also being labelled adult Disneyland by Kloop after interview with Ed. What a twist of fate! We could have been the more successful version of Liverpool now with the resources we have.
Apparently it was Woodward who pitched us as an adult disneyland and Klopp found that unsexy. Woodwards whole thing that we can get anybody because we can match anyone at spending is so so misplaced... he doesn't get this place at all and others perceptions of it. And its also the reason why we are failing. All clubs have an identity. He also had no idea as to the mindset of Klopp, who likes being a maverick underdog.

Well IMO Klopp would have got that at United, but our owners just dont understand. We are a romantic club, one that alway entertains but prone to self destruction and malaise through complacency, we have a reliance on maverick managers and our ability to rise above ourselves creates the passion for the club. We are also ultimately unfashionable to many many players globally who don't want to play our style of football and live in Manchester. Other teams get Zidane and Ronaldinho, we get Roy Keane and Carrick. But we do still attract great players because we historically play the right football and we have a great history. Klopp should have loved it but again Woodward and Glazers totally useless and killing our club ethos. It takes a very very special effort to unlock the magic of this club but the management referring to it as adult Disneyland shows how they are just corporate opportunists sucking the blood out of Fergie's hard built dynasty.

BlueHaze

Been a lot of talk about these bastards lately not only on forums but at pubs at well. I'm happy people are finally running out of patience. Perhaps there will finally be a big movement against them this year. Anything to give them bad publicity is a step in the right direction.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Apparently it was Woodward who pitched us as an adult disneyland and Klopp found that unsexy. Woodwards whole thing that we can get anybody because we can match anyone at spending is so so misplaced... he doesn't get this place at all and others perceptions of it. And its also the reason why we are failing. All clubs have an identity. He also had no idea as to the mindset of Klopp, who likes being a maverick underdog.

Well IMO Klopp would have got that at United, but our owners just dont understand. We are a romantic club, one that alway entertains but prone to self destruction and malaise through complacency, we have a reliance on maverick managers and our ability to rise above ourselves creates the passion for the club. We are also ultimately unfashionable to many many players globally who don't want to play our style of football and live in Manchester. Other teams get Zidane and Ronaldinho, we get Roy Keane and Carrick. But we do still attract great players because we historically play the right football and we have a great history. Klopp should have loved it but again Woodward and Glazers totally useless and killing our club ethos. It takes a very very special effort to unlock the magic of this club but the management referring to it as adult Disneyland shows how they are just corporate opportunists sucking the blood out of Fergie's hard built dynasty.
Standing ovation- excellent post!

Moriarty

Bravo.

Yakuza_devils

Excellent post!

At that time, Kloop was the hottest manager in Europe alongside Pep. And Kloop was very obtainable but the lack of foresight and planning by Ed failed us badly. Again we should be better version of Liverpool now if Kloop was our manager.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

I don't really know about the getting the club part you could be correct. But it's worth remembering that the context for Liverpool and United were totally different. United tried to sign him in 2014 when he had a job at Dortmund, they were our competition. He didn't reject the club because of that quote, he simply said that it wasn't sexy but still considered it and then a few weeks later decided to stay at Dortmund. For Liverpool the landscape was different, he had a tough season with Dortmund and left them. When Liverpool contact him, he is without a job Liverpool aren't competing with a club that he calls home and it's not surprising that he was more receptive to it than when he had a job.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
The Glazers are the main culprits in this debacle. They are looking for a big juicy profit on the sale of their main asset. They know their's a fortune to be made by the sale of this club and it's a seller's market so they are not going to pump the money back into buying players to make Manchester United great again. Ed Woodward is mainly a puppet who is getting pulled by their strings.

Ed Woodward is not without blame though. He is an extremely gifted money making accountant and his value to the club in terms of raising revenue is second to none. We probably have official toothpick sponsors, hot beverage sponsors and next season we'll probably sign a toilet roll sponsor to help us sort this sh*t right out. "He is not a football person though". I feel he needs to step down from the player recruitment side of things and the appointment of a Director of Football who has the decision power on how to spend a set budget and knows the game along with a defined transfer strategy is essential for the future of this club.

Ultimately I welcome the day when the Glazers are no longer a drain on this club. I just hope we don't have to wait for long.
Stop with the myth that Woodward is brilliant with commercial deals. The sponsorship deals he got for us doesn't blow any clubs away and other major clubs has already started to catch up on us in terms of commercial revenue. We're getting the deals because we're Manchester United, one of the biggest name in football, not because Woodward is fecking brilliant at his job.

Icemav

I don't really know about the getting the club part you could be correct. But it's worth remembering that the context for Liverpool and United were totally different. United tried to sign him in 2014 when he had a job at Dortmund, they were our competition. He didn't reject the club because of that quote, he simply said that it wasn't sexy but still considered it and then a few weeks later decided to stay at Dortmund. For Liverpool the landscape was different, he had a tough season with Dortmund and left them. When Liverpool contact him, he is without a job Liverpool aren't competing with a club that he calls home and it's not surprising that he was more receptive to it than when he had a job.
I know about timing with managerial appointments but thats why you strategize to get your man for when he is available. We could be doing the same with Pochettino but I doubt that (Poch needs 1-2 seasons more at Spurs before he wants a new challenge). Whereas everytime we make a managerial change we are desperate and without any commendable strategy. In any event, Woodward totally screwed up the pitch to Klopp and that was a very important aspect of this. Then seesawing from Klopp to LVG.... I mean could they have any more different footballing styles? Did they want Klopp's rock and roll football or not? Was LVG supposed to be our long term vision or just a high profile caretaker (an Ancelotti role) until Klopp was available? Or was he just the biggest name they could get at the time until he underpeformed and then Mou was the biggest name available? Now Ole, with the thinking being what, that he is the opposite of what came before and he may become a new Fergie?

JPRouve

Scout
I know about timing with managerial appointments but thats why you strategize to get your man for when he is available. We could be doing the same with Pochettino but I doubt that (Poch needs 1-2 seasons more at Spurs before he wants a new challenge). Whereas everytime we make a managerial change we are desperate and without any commendable strategy. In any event, Woodward totally screwed up the pitch to Klopp and that was a very important aspect of this. Then seesawing from Klopp to LVG.... I mean could they have any more different footballing styles? Did they want Klopp's rock and roll football or not? Was LVG supposed to be our long term vision or just a high profile caretaker (an Ancelotti role) until Klopp was available? Or was he just the biggest name they could get at the time until he underpeformed and then Mou was the biggest name available? Now Ole, with the thinking being what, that he is the opposite of what came before and he may become a new Fergie?
In theory I can agree with you but in practice it doesn't work. The plan A was established by Gill and SAF, it was David Moyes for the long term. In early 2014, the club is already off script because SAF's plan badly backfired, Woodward then goes to Klopp who decides to stay at Dortmund. From that point everyone else is a consolation prize, now as far as I can remember the primary motivation behind hiring LVG was his experience as a team builder something that he did with Ajax, Barcelona and Bayern, that's the reason that was given at the time and it kind of make sense, it also matches with Klopp who spent a lengthy period of time rebuilding Dortmund. Mourinho is where we will agree, this hire doesn't match with Woodward previous choices and the motivation seems to be that he was seen as someone that would guarantee trophies after three relatively bad years.

The first three managers were targeted for their ability to build sides, it wasn't about style and it's not really an issue, rare are the clubs that are stuck on one particular style. Your point is only relevant for the transition from LVG to Mourinho that one is boneheaded because the rebuilt had been started by LVG and we needed to go in the same general direction instead we hired Mourinho who logically wanted to tear almost everything down.

Icemav

In theory I can agree with you but in practice it doesn't work. The plan A was established by Gill and SAF, it was David Moyes for the long term. In early 2014, the club is already off script because SAF's plan badly backfired, Woodward then goes to Klopp who decides to stay at Dortmund. From that point everyone else is a consolation prize, now as far as I can remember the primary motivation behind hiring LVG was his experience as a team builder something that he did with Ajax, Barcelona and Bayern, that's the reason that was given at the time and it kind of make sense, it also matches with Klopp who spent a lengthy period of time rebuilding Dortmund. Mourinho is where we will agree, this hire doesn't match with Woodward previous choices and the motivation seems to be that he was seen as someone that would guarantee trophies after three relatively bad years.

The first three managers were targeted for their ability to build sides, it wasn't about style and it's not really an issue, rare are the clubs that are stuck on one particular style. Your point is only relevant for the transition from LVG to Mourinho that one is boneheaded because the rebuilt had been started by LVG and we needed to go in the same general direction instead we hired Mourinho who logically wanted to tear almost everything down.
Its true Gill and Ferguson really dug a big hole for us with the Moyes appointment so I can empathize. I personally will be supporting the club through thick and thin and I really pray that Ole sets us back on the right path whilst playing attractive and aggressive football. If not then I really hope the management already have a very good plan B in place, unlike with Moyes or LVG or Mou.

ti vu

Around when Klopp was appointed as Liverpool manager, LVG tenure went sour. LVG was savklable. LVG claimed in his interview that Woodward went behind his back to contact Mourinho while at the same time denied that. Later Woodward admitted his doing re Mourinho contact citing reason which LVG called weak.

The point is Woodward had the gut to go behind LVG back to look for his replacement. There was no principle to give LVG more time. Just Mourinho was not ready to takeover there and then after the mess at Chelsea. It looks every inch of the same dithering symdrome that happens at time since Woodward takeover this role.

There was few months since his departure of Dortmund to his appointment as Liverpool manager. Liverpool sacked Rodgers mid season too. There was time, to keep contact, persuasion during that time. Knowing Klopp's plan (he's happy enough to join mid season) is always a positive, an important info which directly help with future decision/plan! What it turned out, we didn't show proper commitment in our contact. We could have got more chance if we got that info, in turn not dithering re removing LVG.

Even if we still didn't get Klopp back then, if we're truly well run, we would have realized to put work into building structure, give Giggs, OGS interim role, instead letting LVG saw out the season, and then appointed Mourinho. Doing what is being briefed to the press these days. The more you look into it, the more it turned out this cub was run in reactive mode.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
If we don’t see record transfer expenditure this summer then I will fully believe they are looking to sell us.

If we sell Lukaku and a Pogba then I’d expect a transfer kitty of £400 million (£200 million players sales + £200 million of summer budget) to sort this fecking mess out.

JPRouve

Scout
Around when Klopp was appointed as Liverpool manager, LVG tenure went sour. LVG was savklable. LVG claimed in his interview that Woodward went behind his back to contact Mourinho while at the same time denied that. Later Woodward admitted his doing re Mourinho contact citing reason which LVG called weak.

The point is Woodward had the gut to go behind LVG back to look for his replacement. There was no principle to give LVG more time. Just Mourinho was not ready to takeover there and then after the mess at Chelsea. It looks every inch of the same dithering symdrome that happens at time since Woodward takeover this role.

There was few months since his departure of Dortmund to his appointment as Liverpool manager. Liverpool sacked Rodgers mid season too. There was time, to keep contact, persuasion during that time. Knowing Klopp's plan (he's happy enough to join mid season) is always a positive, an important info which directly help with future decision/plan! What it turned out, we didn't show proper commitment in our contact. We could have got more chance if we got that info, in turn not dithering re removing LVG.

Even if we still didn't get Klopp back then, if we're truly well run, we would have realized to put work into building structure, give Giggs, OGS interim role, instead letting LVG saw out the season, and then appointed Mourinho. Doing what is being briefed to the press these days. The more you look into it, the more it turned out this cub was run in reactive mode.
Maybe I'm missing something but none of that is accurate.

Rodgers was sacked early in the season his last game was on October 4th, LVG was doing fine while Mourinho was still Chelsea's manager and not in the picture. Things went badly in December for both LVG in terms of results and for Mourinho in terms of job security. Klopp wasn't available anymore.
Now if you are suggesting that we should have sacked LVG during summer and targeted Klopp then that's what I wanted us to do but I don't think that it was a very popular opinion because it's not how people associated with the club fans, former players and legends want to see the club act.

marktan

They've taken £1b out of the club since they've taken over, had no structure in place post SAF and are running from one knee jerk decision to the other.

The fact that United fans aren't up in arms against the Glazers just about sums us up over the last 6 years - acceptance of mediocrity.

Waynne

Woodward and the club execs have managed to tank the club over the last 6 years. It's quite incredible.
We had everything at one stage. A competent owner and board would do their best to sustain it by hiring the best in world football or planning to before Fergie left.
I don't get how United threw it all away.

oz insomniac

The elite tag and biggest club were eroded once a CEO with no football experience or knowledge was allowed full control by a family of owners whose almost sole idea was to make money. Then it was compounded by placing another banker in Matt Judge in charge of salary negotiations and finalising of transfers and contracts.

Poor choices of managers , and a willingness to sign players for social media clicks and a Disneyland focus completely stuffed the club from making football progress.

This rebuild is going to take time, younger fans have switched off already, and doesn't feel like things will really make strides until the front office is shaken up and new owners and new staff are in place. The shine that attracted supporters from all over the world has been lost, those fans are elsewhere and the recent wins by the Pool and Spuds have seen those clubs along with the Citeh juggernaut move well above United. That's not counting the Barca and Real shirts that are worn by the Young worldwide these days.

Reactions: nimic

DOM6284

Stop with the myth that Woodward is brilliant with commercial deals. The sponsorship deals he got for us doesn't blow any clubs away and other major clubs has already started to catch up on us in terms of commercial revenue. We're getting the deals because we're Manchester United, one of the biggest name in football, not because Woodward is fecking brilliant at his job.
Our commercial income is growing year on year. Other clubs may be increasing theirs as well but not at the same rate. Every time we strike a new deal it seems to blow our competitors out of the water. I can't see this changing for a while due to the size of our world wide fan base.

Water Melon

Agreed.

Seconded.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think this should be a pinned post in every Woodward discussion.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
It doesnt achieve anything really pushing them out. What comes in could be even worse. People forget that Fergie, Sir Bobby etc sit on the board of this club and will influence decisions as I guess they have done with OGS.
We have tried and failed 3 times with different managers and different transfer strategies. Let's hope this summer brings another fresh approach and some consistency next season

Fosu-Mens

It doesnt achieve anything really pushing them out. What comes in could be even worse. People forget that Fergie, Sir Bobby etc sit on the board of this club and will influence decisions as I guess they have done with OGS.
We have tried and failed 3 times with different managers and different transfer strategies. Let's hope this summer brings another fresh approach and some consistency next season
There are two boards, they sit on the board with no real power. They cannot influence sh*t even if they wanted(unless they speak negatively about the owners in public, which they won't).

What makes you think that this time it will be different? That things will get better?

Jostein Hjorteset

If the Glazers are that good at business as most claim, they should sell the club within 1 year. It is without doubt that the club is going towards a downward spiral, with revenues soon going down and the salary budget being too high. The best value better be to sell the club soon for them, or else they would most likely fail as business men as well as failing with their sporting aspirations.

There is most likely another recession looming somewhere as it is 10 years since the last financial crisis. I don't know if they are as cunning business people as fans make them out to be. There was a news article not so long ago claiming the Glazers would be more "hands on" regarding United. Well, if that is the case the only thing that matters is if they actually consider Ed Woodward's role or at some point redefined role. In that way they could still turn it around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tincanalley

Not a chance of Poch coming here with the current setup.

Tincanalley

Rubbish. Pushing them out is essential to the club keeping its identity, upgrading the stadium and developing a football centred strategy.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
There are two boards, they sit on the board with no real power. They cannot influence sh*t even if they wanted(unless they speak negatively about the owners in public, which they won't).

What makes you think that this time it will be different? That things will get better?
It couldn't get any worse. Pissing away half a billion on dross in 5 years and not progressing one iota.
I'm behind a new philosophy of young hungry players who don't want 10 million quid a year to pose on twitter. It might be painful to start with but worth a shot

Hughie77

There not going anywhere, the club makes them too much money, no matter how we do the club makes money. Transfer policy been pants, we all know that. We see who we can get in in summer and who goes, my guess is more go than comes in.

Youth will be promoted, and there not good enough, may 1 out 4 that may be involved, one plus I hope is Tunazabe steps up.

tomaldinho1

In finance that's all that matters, that's why it's crazy that he's handling these types of negotiations. Klopp (and most manager's bar ironically Mou) are usually relatively successful footballers who stay on to become managers - they're not finance minded and don't really give a hoot about half the stuff Woodward probably 'sold' in the meeting. Woodward is from a different world, how can he sell the vision of United when he's an M&A banker whose affiliation to the club is purely because he works for the Glazers; it's a job to him whereas for most football managers it's their passion.

What gives me hope is that, despite our poor luck, there are actually a lot of good managers around. We simply need to find one and support him properly.

freeurmind

weak willed

Keefy18

If the point you're trying to make here is that IMUSA and MUST are the two organizations that are truly supporting the interests of United supporters or that the the previous ownership was trash then we're in absolute agreement.
Former owners, current owners...all the same. Folks weren't pissing, moaning and blaming the owners when Fergie was winning titles for fun. The Green & Gold fools lasted a wet minute, once the titles kept rolling in then all was forgotten.

freeurmind

weak willed
Former owners, current owners...all the same. Folks weren't pissing, moaning and blaming the owners when Fergie was winning titles for fun. The Green & Gold fools lasted a wet minute, once the titles kept rolling in then all was forgotten.
People have been complaining for decades. Since the time of the flotation and then the attempted Sky bid. The Glazer takeover was the last straw for some who went off and formed their own club. I suppose for the people for whom United is just simply a form of entertainment and as long as the team is winning they don't care what's going on in the club i.e. issues such as ticket pricing and development, the ownership issue isn't a big deal. The problems on the pitch only serve to exacerbate alot of the issues and shine a light on them but even when we were winning the fan groups were lobbying constantly and advocating for changes on a number of issues and ultimately a change in the ownership structure to one in which the supporters (without whom there would be no club) control things and all the money the club generates is reinvested into the club.

Tincanalley

Good man. Proper United Supporters are rare beasts in this jungle. Nothing but wind ups and trolls in here, so stick around

Eddy_JukeZ

If we don’t see record transfer expenditure this summer then I will fully believe they are looking to sell us.

If we sell Lukaku and a Pogba then I’d expect a transfer kitty of £400 million (£200 million players sales + £200 million of summer budget) to sort this fecking mess out.
You're going to be disappointed.

I think there's no way we spend 400 mil pounds.