Goal 2020: The Best 50 players in the world (Men & Women)

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
These rankings need to be split up into categories by position.

Impossible to compare midfielders to goalkeepers

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
This list is plain bad, Kane not even in the top 25 for men but Lukaku is 15th? Jordan Henderson better than Kane?

RashyForPM

Global, online votes when it's not just a single group of fans for their club is unfair anyway. The big clubs will always have more fans, thus more players in these lists.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Lukaku? we've been done mate.
We've been robbed by Conte.
One of the best players in the world.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I really despise these top player list especially when not done professionally. Just to get a couple of clicks and debating.

Obvious omission is Jan Oblak, best keeper in the world for I'd say the past 5 year's now. Neuer obviously had that did in form 2 years ago where everyone thought he was past it but he's bounced back to his top level, Still think Oblak is the better keeper.

Mo Caine

Supports
United from 1977 until 2007
these lists have always be contentious, now they've spilt the 50 ''best'' into the 25 best players in the world & 25 ''players'' i was better than when i was a 15 year old boy.

OleBoiii

A lot of odd decisions in there. It's also unclear if it's based on what the players have done in 2020 or just "FIFA stats".

These rankings need to be split up into categories by position.
Agreed. Top 5 for each position would be much more interesting.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
A lot of odd decisions in there. It's also unclear if it's based on what the players have done in 2020 or just "FIFA stats".

Yes that would be more accurate and nuanced, but it would also generate less outrage, less clicks and less shares so naturally goal.com decided they would leave nuanced takes to some other publication

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I'm fine with the amount of Bayern players, so it's obviously the best list ever.

GameOn

I really despise these top player list especially when not done professionally. Just to get a couple of clicks and debating.

Obvious omission is Jan Oblak, best keeper in the world for I'd say the past 5 year's now. Neuer obviously had that did in form 2 years ago where everyone thought he was past it but he's bounced back to his top level, Still think Oblak is the better keeper.
Neuer at his top level is comfortably better than any other GK in the world.

Not only is he just as good as the others in the "classical" goalkeeping areas (shot stopping, presence in the box etc.), he's also simply better in anticipating dangerous situations (-> sweeping) and playing with the ball at his feet. He's really a libero and goalkeeper in one person.

GameOn

Let's do it then:

Goalkeeper: Neuer, Oblak, Alisson, Ter Stegen, De Gea

Fullbacks: Davies, Robertson, Alexander-Arnold, Robertson, Chillwell

Centrebacks: Van Dijk, Ramos, Marquinhos, Laporte, Koulibaly

Midfielders (defensive): Kimmich, Goretzka, Thiago, Modric, Kanté

Midfielders (offensive): De Bruyne, Messi, Müller, Bruno, Neymar

Wingers: Mané, Salah, Mbappe, Son, Sané

Strikers: Lewandowski, Ronaldo, Kane, Haaland, Benzema

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Let's do it then:

Goalkeeper: Neuer, Oblak, Alisson, Ter Stegen, De Gea

Fullbacks: Davies, Robertson, Alexander-Arnold, Robertson, Chillwell

Centrebacks: Van Dijk, Ramos, Marquinhos, Laporte, Koulibaly

Midfielders (defensive): Kimmich, Goretzka, Thiago, Modric, Kanté

Midfielders (offensive): De Bruyne, Messi, Müller, Bruno, Neymar

Wingers: Mané, Salah, Mbappe, Son, Sané

Strikers: Lewandowski, Ronaldo, Kane, Haaland, Benzema
Interesting list and not too much wrong in my opinion with it.
If I had to change a couple of player's they would be.

On current form I would change Son for Gnabry and Gundogan for Modric who isn't really getting a look in at the minute at Real Madrid. Apart from that I'd say that's a fair list

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Neymar #4... I imagine for the idea of how good he can be as opposed to practically how good he is.

VanKenny

Neymar #4... I imagine for the idea of how good he can be as opposed to practically how good he is.
This narrative is going to be one of those myths of football i already know...

"Neymar wasnt even that good" 20 years from now, when he actually has been amazing.

Annihilate Now!

Scout

"Neymar wasnt even that good" 20 years from now, when he actually has been amazing.
Amazing? In the last few years?

You would honestly say he's the 4th best player in the world?

GameOn

I'll be quite honest: Where has he been "amazing"?

He has consistently been a good player and had some very good seasons, sure, but he never had anything close to a "mindblowing" season like Lewandowski (15/16, 19/20), Suarez (13/14, 15/16) or even Salah (17/18). I'm not even starting to bring Messi and Ronaldo into the conversation.

If he wasn't that massively hyped up "next Pélé" from Brazil, but rather a Michael Müller from Germany or James Smith from England (with the exact same talent), he would be remembered as a very good football player and bad actor, but nothing more.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Sadio Mane honestly has some of the best hype men in world football. That so many people continue to put him above Salah despite regularly being outscored and out-assisted by Salah is quite remarkable.

Since they've been teammates: (PL only)

Salah: 81 goals/35 assists
Mane: 54 goals/24 assists

Tarrou

I'm convinced these lists are deliberately shit to generate more clicks

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sadio Mane honestly has some of the best hype men in world football. That so many people continue to put him above Salah despite regularly being outscored and out-assisted by Salah is quite remarkable.

Since they've been teammates: (PL only)

Salah: 81 goals/35 assists
Mane: 54 goals/24 assists
Mental, isn’t it? I think a lot of it is down to how Salah is just more dislikable to the general public non-Liverpool supporters. Grew a bit of a reputation for being a diver, seems a bit more arrogant/smug etc. — stuff like that just rubs people off the wrong way. Similar to how people vehemently refuse to believe Neymar as a top 5 player (when he clearly is).

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Mental, isn’t it? I think a lot of it is down to how Salah is just more dislikable to the general public non-Liverpool supporters. Grew a bit of a reputation for being a diver, seems a bit more arrogant/smug etc. — stuff like that just rubs people off the wrong way. Similar to how people vehemently refuse to believe Neymar as a top 5 player (when he clearly is).
He clearly isn't... What has he done over the last 2 seasons to warrant that?

He's not even the best player at his club.

el3mel

Terrible list. Didn't continue reading it after the first few names.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid

He`s been amazing alright, amazing in France, but not really done much of note otherwise these last couple of years(though he did have a couple of good performances in last seasons CL9).

So, when you combine dominating League 1, in a team with vastly superior squad than the rest, doing not too much in CL, and the injuries, i find it hard to put him in, say, the top 5.

Paul_Scholes18

Not a bad list, but I think Kimmich is far too low. KDB maybe a bit too high given that he only won the league cup last year.

Do they only rate it based on last year I would have Goretzka on the list for sure.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Neymar has missed a ton of football too, some to injury, some to poor discipline and some to seemingly not actually being that bothered about playing. Of the 124 Ligue 1 games PSG have had since he signed, he's only played in 56 of them.

Castia

Weird list they seem to go off form from last season which is fair enough but was Neymar THAT good to take 4th spot? he played 15 league games and 7 in the CL.....barely even half a season.

Castia

Neymar has lived off his reputation for years, he’s a bit part player at PSG he’s barely made 30 league appearances in over 2 years. He’s done absolutely nothing to suggest he’s anywhere near the best.

Bennz McCarthey17

Supports
Africa
Do people honestly watch Liverpool play and think Salah is the better footballer than Mane?. :houllier: Honest question. Better finisher yes, that is about it for me. Mane is the best footballer we currently have in Africa. And Salah is the best goal scorer we have.

GameOn

Not a bad list, but I think Kimmich is far too low. KDB maybe a bit too high given that he only won the league cup last year.

Do they only rate it based on last year I would have Goretzka on the list for sure.
Kimmich at #11 is really too low, he should've been in the top 5.