Goalkeeper double touch rule

Oranges038

Played a game yesterday.

The other team was winning. So the goalkeeper to waste some time controlled a a slow rolling ball into the box between his hands and the ground, both hands were on the ball controlling it between his hands and the ground. He released, then played it with his feet to walk out 5 or 6 yards and then picks it up again when he was pressed.

I was always under the impression that deliberately controlling the ball with your hands inside the box, releasing and picking it up again was a foul and and indirect freekick. I know a couple of years ago it was brought in that goalkeepers can now be booked or sent off if they control a ball with their hands that they shouldn't have if it denies a goalscoring opportunity.

Generally speaking in situations like this, I would as a keeper use my feet to control the ball and then pick it up when pressed, because I was told early on that using your hands to control it twice is not allowed.

Is this deliberate double touch not a foul and an indirect freekick? Or does anyone know what the exact interpretation of this law in this scenario is or should be?

The goalkeeper has the same restrictions on handling the ball as any other player outside the penalty area. If the goalkeeper handles the ball inside their penalty area when not permitted to do so, an indirect free kick is awarded but there is no disciplinary sanction. However, if the offence is playing the ball a second time (with or without the hand/arm) after a restart before it touches another player, the goalkeeper must be sanctioned if the offence stops a promising attack or denies an opponent or the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity.

An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:

• controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it
  • touches the ball with the hand/arm after releasing it and before it has touched another player
  • touches the ball with the hand/arm, unless the goalkeeper has clearly kicked or attempted to kick the ball to release it into play, after:
    • it has been deliberately kicked to the goalkeeper by a team-mate
    • receiving it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate
A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball with the hand(s) when:

• the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms except if the ball rebounds from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save
  • holding the ball in the outstretched open hand
  • bouncing it on the ground or throwing it in the air
A goalkeeper cannot be challenged by an opponent when in control of the ball with the hand(s).

Oranges038

Sounds like you are trying to be a grass mate. Suck it up.
Nah, how is it being a grass?

I'm just generally curious, because there were 2 referees in attendance and both viewed it differently. One on the sidelines, who may or may not have been a referee assesor, said it was and but the one on the pitch said it wasn't.