Godless (Netflix)

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
New western mini series on Netflix. Definitely worth watching. A brief non spoiler summary would be a town full of widows intersecting with a feud between 2 outlaws.

- Lead actors are superb. Merritt Wever steals the show but I don't there is one weak performance in there.
- The series is beautifully shot. Top marks to director of photography.
- I would not expect too much of a modern take on westerns, it definitely follows a lot of tropes to the tee.
- Only negative for me is that the mini series really crawls to a halt in middle and is possibly 2 episodes too long given some of the ill-advised storylines.

- The creator had originally written it as a feature film and then turned it into a 7 episode series. You can see he had to stretch a lot of storylines for the same.
- The sheriff's storyline of trailing Frank for example is of no consequence in the end
- Frank's parlays with Norwegians and then the sick lot also add a very little to the whole plot.
- Alice (Michele Dockery's character) gets short changed in the latter half for me. Her storyline solely becomes a reaction to Goode's. A bit of a shame, since she was the strongest character straight off the bat.
- The only I think I can not make up my mind about is the necessity of blackdome stroyline. I would have been fine with it but the eventual shoot out they have with Frank's gang was a bit feeble.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yep it's fantastic.

Can't say I felt it dragged to a halt, I really didn't want it to end. It was definitely very slow but the cinematography and acting were so damn good that I didn't really care what I was watching at times!

AkaAkuma

For me a good western meanders along, I'd happily watch more of this show.

Andersons Dietician

Felt like it was incredible, really really loved it.

@crappycraperson do you not think those two scenes you mention show the two conflicts in Frank?
the dark, threatening presence of him with the Norwegians showing his darkness then that scene with the sickness showing how conflicted he is and that he can be merciful.

Out of that tho cinematography was excellent, characters excellent it was all round just epic viewing. Problem is I now need more of it.

@AkaAkuma excellent use of the word ‘meander’ got a chuckle out of me.

crappycraperson

Scout
Yep it's fantastic.

Can't say I felt it dragged to a halt, I really didn't want it to end. It was definitely very slow but the cinematography and acting were so damn good that I didn't really care what I was watching at times!
I am fine with slow pacing but here my issue was with the detour plot lines. 7 episode length meant that Frank and his crew can’t go to LA Belle before the final episode so he just meandered about till then.
I don’t believe either the Norwegian or suck people storyline added anything to the show. His character arc could have been shone on solely by flashbacks too.

djdhrubs

2 episodes in. Really enjoying it. Some very interesting characters. I'm not finding the pace slow either.

Andersons Dietician

I’m just surprised there isn’t more people talking about this in the Caf. It’s awesome. Might be a slow burner with some.

I did see a tweet post about people complaining about it being marketed as a female town then not delivering on the female characters but they clearly haven’t watched to the end episode.
The final shootout is awesome, it starts out I guess as a powerful message for woman can do what men can do and it’s an epic gun fight, they do kind of shit on the feminist power display by then being rescued by two men, but heck they came across as strong and powerful.
Sure some will complain that it gave off the impression of being a female empowerment show and not really delivering but I don’t really care it was awesome.

crappycraperson

Scout
I have seen the same complaint as well. Basically the creator did not really frame it as a female centric western, the dispute 2 male protagonists is supposed to be the central storyline but it is easy to see Netflix execs finding the manless town stuff coming across more engaging and being a better marketing hook.

I also have no time for this kind of non sense. Not everything can be framed from the point of view of social empowerment and equal opportunity. Criticism of other shows like True detective S1 for no lead female character was also stupid. I understand women and LGBTQ people want to see themselves as represented as white men across television and play strong central characters but you can't use that as an ever present criticism against any and every show that is centred around straight men.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
TS S1 was a Western, frankly, and the women were an afterthought (eye candy at most). Even anti-Westerns end up with male heroes rightin' wrongs...as per usual. No wonder people - rightly - complain.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
TS S1 was a Western, frankly, and the women were an afterthought (eye candy at most). Even anti-Westerns end up with male heroes rightin' wrongs...as per usual. No wonder people - rightly - complain.
It’s because it was a male centric world.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
True, but I'd hoped for better from a contemporary director/writer; and by that I don't mean mere unnecessary tokenism for the sake of it.

I loved the series but perhaps, given the praise I read beforehand, I expected too much from it.

Parma Dewol

Finished this on the weekend and wow, I thought this show was fabulous. Arguably the best series I've seen this year.

It is a bit of a slow burner at times, but for me that's exactly how a western should be. Incredible how they managed to develop so many interesting characters in just one season. I could easily have watched another 10 episodes, such a beautiful show visually, and the music was excellent too.

10/10.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Started it yesterday evening and finished it at night. Solid opening season. I am huge fan of all things Western and I approve of this show.

AkaAkuma

I recommend saints and strangers on Netflix. The actings a little hammy at times, but the story is decent. It details the Mayflower landing and interaction with the natives.

Parma Dewol

Top show. Too bad there won't be another season. It feels like the writer always intended for it to be a limited series.
Nooooooooooooooooooo. Has that been confirmed? I know it was billed as a limited series, but there's so much scope for another limited series based on any of the characters.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Nooooooooooooooooooo. Has that been confirmed? I know it was billed as a limited series, but there's so much scope for another limited series based on any of the characters.
Right there is so much more they can come with up in terms of storylines and flashbacks. I really hope there is a season 2 but I doubt it too.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Maybe it can be an anthology series with new characters, like True Detective?

I'd rather they kept the first series standalone. The ending was perfect.

Loublaze

ATLien
Maybe it can be an anthology series with new characters, like True Detective?

I'd rather they kept the first series standalone. The ending was perfect.
That would be interesting but I doubt it will happen. It was based on a movie screenplay that was written in the early 2000s and rewritten as a miniseries.

Interval

Level
At episode 5 and its great so far. Love great westerns.

But can't help but compare it to Red Dead Redemption. Alice's ranch -> MacFarlane's ranch; La Belle -> Armadillo; Where Roy Goode goes hunting -> Tall trees; Its so bizarre - the saloon at La Belle looks exactly like the saloon at Armadillo except the lack of the staircase.

Donut

The first two episodes are amazing but then it does slow down significantly. The ending was satisfying though.

Jagga7

Just finished it, I thought it was really good. Acting is top notch, Jeff Daniels is always great but surprisingly Jack O'Connell was superb as well. I didn't hear any of his British accent come out. I thought there was going to be a twist of some sort in the end but there wasn't, quite a typical western but still a great viewing. 8/10 for me. Also I can't believe they did Whitey like that :(.

poleglass red

Just finished it, I thought it was really good. Acting is top notch, Jeff Daniels is always great but surprisingly Jack O'Connell was superb as well. I didn't hear any of his British accent come out. I thought there was going to be a twist of some sort in the end but there wasn't, quite a typical western but still a great viewing. 8/10 for me. Also I can't believe they did Whitey like that :(.
the lad who played Whitey is also English, both of them were excellent I thought. Decent show, I'd go 7 or 8 out of 10

Loublaze

ATLien
Godless was really good. Has anyone checked out the new western series 'Damnation'? Not as good as Godless but its decent so far. Im only 4 episodes in. Not sure if it deserves its own thread but im sure those who really liked Godless might be interested

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Finally got around to finishing it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Was a bit apprehensive after seeing how it was advertised. They portrayed it as a series about a women only town kicking arse, but liked how they mapped the town's development.

Andersons Dietician

Godless was really good. Has anyone checked out the new western series 'Damnation'? Not as good as Godless but its decent so far. Im only 4 episodes in. Not sure if it deserves its own thread but im sure those who really liked Godless might be interested

That looks decent, might go have a look for this.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Started watching this recently after Romper Stomper, it is good, especially the acting (with the main villain the standout).

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Started watching it off the back of Queen's Gambit. Two episodes in and it's pretty good so far. This Scott Frank guy is very good with setting and characters, even if the plotting tends to be quite generic.