Golden Boot

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Out of interest, if the reverse is true and Argentina disappoint in this world cup, will that put paid to the notion he be considered the greatest ever? The last World Cup can be put down to Maradona not having a clue, but if Messi doesn't leave his mark on this World Cup, I think it's an impossible sell for him as the GOAT.
I dont think so
he will only be 30 in Russia and he could even make 2022 at 34 so he still has plenty of time to leave his mark.
though personally I think cl has now become more important than world cup but that is of course subjective.
still if he captained Argentina to a win in Russia scoring 10 along the way and a hat trick in the final I think a quiet competition this time would be overlooked

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Torres will score three against Australia and another one or two once Spain bring him on when they are leading 2-0 and the opposition leaves a lot of space in the defence.

sammyvine

I'm hoping the exact opposite, another "Messi chokes on the big stage" headline will be good to see... :drool:

He's probably score enough in that piss-easy group and easy round of 16 games to be topscorer anyway.
Why you obsessed with him
Did he decline you an autograph?

sammyvine

I dont think so
he will only be 30 in Russia and he could even make 2022 at 34 so he still has plenty of time to leave his mark.
though personally I think cl has now become more important than world cup but that is of course subjective.
still if he captained Argentina to a win in Russia scoring 10 along the way and a hat trick in the final I think a quiet competition this time would be overlooked
Its,stupid that you have to win a world cup to be considered goat
The world cup isnt the best comepetiton anymore

JackJebb

Torres. Will come off the bench and score goals when teams are tried after playing against Cesc as false 9.

sammyvine

I don't like him, is that not allowed? :confused:
Where did i say it wasnt allowed? Its just ive read many posts from you about him and its strange. There is no way a rational person can dislike somebody they have never met as much as you dislike him.

May i ask is your dislike of,him because Ronaldo is,your favourite player and Messi is Ronaldos biggest challenger?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Where did i say it wasnt allowed? Its just ive read many posts from you about him and its strange. There is no way a rational person can dislike somebody they have never met as much as you dislike him.

May i ask is your dislike of,him because Ronaldo is,your favourite player and Messi is Ronaldos biggest challenger?
Not really, more to do with Barca costing United 2 CLs, particularly that first one when their star player in the 2nd leg against Chelsea was Ovebro.

sammyvine

Not really, more to do with Barca costing United 2 CLs, particularly that first one when their star player in the 2nd leg against Chelsea was Ovebro.
Lol so you dislike a player because a referee was poor in a game that sent them through? Shouldnt you dislike Ovebro then?
Whats that got to do with Messi lol? Its not like he had anything to do,with the major decisions that were made. If thats why you dislike him then i dont know what to say.

Just tell the truth. You dislike,him because he is a threat to Ronaldo. Nothing more nothing less.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Lol so you dislike a player because a referee was poor in a game that sent them through? Shouldnt you dislike Ovebro then?
Whats that got to do with Messi lol? Its not like he had anything to do,with the major decisions that were made. If thats why you dislike him then i dont know what to say.

Just tell the truth. You dislike,him because he is a threat to Ronaldo. Nothing more nothing less.
I dislike Barcelona and he's their icon.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
There are several, for me. Mandzukic, Muller, and Neymar are two who are the most likely for me. Following them are Dzeko, Suarez, and van Persie.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
There are several, for me. Mandzukic, Muller, and Neymar are two who are the most likely for me. Following them are Dzeko, Suarez, and van Persie.
That's three.

Messi for me anyway, should get a few in the group and then probably another one or two in the knockout stages.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
It's got to be Klose, surely?!
He's not going to play that much, though. It doesn't seem like Low will start with Klose in many of the matches Germany will play.

As much as I really want Klose to break the record and do very well in this World Cup, I don't think Low will give him the chance to do so, instead opting for more dynamic, all-rounded players up front.

CrashDavis

Who will start up front for France... Giroud or Benzema or both? Argentina is a tricky one in choosing one out of the three big boys. Do you think they'll play the three of them together in all matches?

devil in me

Who will start up front for France... Giroud or Benzema or both? Argentina is a tricky one in choosing one out of the three big boys. Do you think they'll play the three of them together in all matches?
Benzema for France. And I believe that Argentina line up with Aguero and Messi either side of Higuain. Higuain is my bet for top scorer.

CrashDavis

Benzema for France. And I believe that Argentina line up with Aguero and Messi either side of Higuain. Higuain is my bet for top scorer.
Yeah, liking the look of Higuain myself. Easy enough group and read a few articles that said he's the one who plays furthest up field for the Argentinians with Aguero dropping deeper. I was just thinking that it might be risky because they have so many options really, with Messi the only one that's 100% guaranteed to start each game.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
He's not going to play that much, though. It doesn't seem like Low will start with Klose in many of the matches Germany will play.

As much as I really want Klose to break the record and do very well in this World Cup, I don't think Low will give him the chance to do so, instead opting for more dynamic, all-rounded players up front.
If he manages to get fit till the world cup, he will play, and rightfully so.

He is, when fit, still an exceptionel striker and just the right one for what Löw wants from a striker regarding game participation and assisting while adding a threat at headers that's missing otherwise.

devil in me

Yeah, liking the look of Higuain myself. Easy enough group and read a few articles that said he's the one who plays furthest up field for the Argentinians with Aguero dropping deeper. I was just thinking that it might be risky because they have so many options really, with Messi the only one that's 100% guaranteed to start each game.
That was my thinking as well, but it seems as though he starts every game for them as part of that trio with Messi and Aguero. Very good odds at 20/1 IMO.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

You wouldn't be saying this if we were discussing Terry, Gerrard, Suarez, or Barton.

CrashDavis

That was my thinking as well, but it seems as though he starts every game for them as part of that trio with Messi and Aguero. Very good odds at 20/1 IMO.
Think I'll put an e/w bet on him since Paddy Power are offering a fiver free bet everytime your top goalscorer scores if you've put 20 on him. Can't see any of the three not hitting the back of the net this tournament.

devil in me

Think I'll put an e/w bet on him since Paddy Power are offering a fiver free bet everytime your top goalscorer scores if you've put 20 on him. Can't see any of the three not hitting the back of the net this tournament.
Does that offer still stand? Didn't realise that they were doing that. Was planning on putting 20 on anyway.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah it still stands. £5 free bet on the opening game if you put a £10 bet on the outright winner too by the way, if you were planning to do a bet on it.

CrashDavis

Does that offer still stand? Didn't realise that they were doing that. Was planning on putting 20 on anyway.
Yep, still offering it now as far as I know. I'm on the site, still wondering which one of the three to put it on! But yeah, think they'll all score really.

devil in me

Yep, still offering it now as far as I know. I'm on the site, still wondering which one of the three to put it on! But yeah, think they'll all score really.
Aguero's dodgy injury record this season put me off him, so it was between Messi and Higuian for me, and Higuians odds are much better, for obvious reasons!

KishanS

Im stuck between Neymar, Muller and Suarez. Im going to go for "Nullez".

CrashDavis

Aguero's dodgy injury record this season put me off him, so it was between Messi and Higuian for me, and Higuians odds are much better, for obvious reasons!
It's more than likely manager will start the three of them in the group games so yeah, I went for Higuain too cuz of his odds. Only did that because of the offer with Paddy Power though... otherwise you'd have to really go with Messi.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
If he manages to get fit till the world cup, he will play, and rightfully so.

He is, when fit, still an exceptionel striker and just the right one for what Löw wants from a striker regarding game participation and assisting while adding a threat at headers that's missing otherwise.
Let's hope so. I personally don't see Low selecting him due to his age and lack of dynamism, but if he does, I'll be very happy as a football fan.