Golf 2024

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
So Tiger Woods and Nike officially split after 27 years.

I get the distinct impression that Nike is pulling from golf in its entirety. The Nike x Tiger Woods brand is easily the most recognisable in sport, probably only second to the Jordan brand.

Interesting what he does now. Either his own brand or a spin off from Taylor Made maybe.

Last edited:

Gee Male

I'm not generally a fan of tournaments played over multiple courses - last weekend was a joke really. I do like Torrey Pines though.

Skåre Willoch

Still sad. It was entertaining watching him chuck his clubs in the water and cursing everything and everyone at times.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Still sad. It was entertaining watching him chuck his clubs in the water and cursing everything and everyone at times.
Modern day Tommy Bolt. Now that motherfecker was entertaining.

I had three books growing up that were my 'golf books' in my nightstand - Hogan's 'Five Lessons,' Penick's 'Little Red Book,' & 'The Hole Truth' by Bolt. I learned how to play the game well through the first two & how to throw my clubs well through Bolt's book. There's a science to tossing clubs so not to break the shaft or injuring yourself or anyone else.

Carolina Red

Staff
I find it funny that Rahm says he chose Legion XIII because they were “loyal to Caesar” without considering the fact that Caesar was being disloyal to the Republic

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Christ, this is a video game score (even on a par 70 track)…

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Christ, this is a video game score (even on a par 70 track)…

Impressive.

However, it looks a mega short course, 330yard par 4s for these guys in that kinda climate is stupid short. Dude himself even said the course is very short. Plus has preferred lies on the first round. Said he expected to with 20 yards of the green when driving some of the holes.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
This competition's gimmick was always going to wear thin and burn out. I wouldn't mind but it's a good course, would ve a good competition without it.
The coverage is garbage too, all they show is that 16th hole pretty much, barely know what any of the other holes on the course look like.

16 is feckin boring too

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Been watching a bit of LIV golf recently incl. the event in Las Vegas, as a golf fan I would think it’s ignorant to ignore it particularly with all the big names playing in it nowadays.

The things I like was a lot of interesting innovations in terms of the TV coverage, it should certainly appeal to a younger audience. Having Ferity unleashed, edgy & uncensored as the main pundit adds to the youthfulness of the broadcast (even though he’s well in his 60’s).
I think there’s a lot of merit in the team concept. It brings an extra dimension. There’s some things that could be tweaked and the names of the teams are dreadful, but I think it’s generally a great innovation.
The most important advantage of LIV golf is that you’re guaranteed a star studded lineup at each event. Rahm, Dechamb, Johnson, Koepka, Smith, etc etc. The leaderboard is full of names you’d expect to see up there at each major.

However, I’m not a fan of the shotgun starts and the level of golf seems disappointing considering all the big names. I can’t quite put my finger on why that seems. Maybe it’s because of the limited pool of players in LIV and why form is such an important factor in golf (who ever thought Pavon would dominate the West coast swing in the PGA Tour?). Finally, some things are a bit gimmicky.

I think you can compare LIV golf to 20/20 cricket. If the PGA & Saudi’s can come to some agreement and have, for example, have two 6 week windows where LIV golf is played. Something needs to be done because the current situation is dreadful having two competing tours in professional golf.

arnie_ni

Newish to golf but what's with the darks ages shit were speith I'd DQ for an incident scorecard at a live event tracked but computers etc.

Whats even the point of the scorecard at this level?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Newish to golf but what's with the darks ages shit were speith I'd DQ for an incident scorecard at a live event tracked but computers etc.

Whats even the point of the scorecard at this level?
The scorecards are switched before the round, you give your card to your opponent & receive theirs. It's an extra degree of corroboration & getting the score correct before turning them in.

arnie_ni

The scorecards are switched before the round, you give your card to your opponent & receive theirs. It's an extra degree of corroboration & getting the score correct before turning them in.
But it's archaic for pro golf when everything is tracked by computers.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Why though is my question? What's the point or benefit of it at the pro level?

It's obviously required below that
It just creates a double check of the competitor's card & their personal card (this is the part that is the detachable).

I would be shocked if there was a proposed movement to computer scoring. No professional golfer would give up their scoring autonomy.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
It just creates a double check of the competitor's card & their personal card (this is the part that is the detachable).

I would be shocked if there was a proposed movement to computer scoring. No professional golfer would give up their scoring autonomy.
I'm just trying to imagine the chaos when the computers get hacked and no one has a scorecard :D

Skåre Willoch

Matsuyama masterclass!! I was certain Cantlay would win after friday, but he actually ended up 4 shots back. Incredible back 9 from Hideki! He could've/should've been penalized on 17, but it would still be enough to win.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Why though is my question? What's the point or benefit of it at the pro level?

It's obviously required below that
Because it's an integral part of the game. It really isn't hard to get right Spieth just made a mistake signing and leaving because he needed to shit his pants basically.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Interesting to see some of the DP tour players performing so well on the PGA Tour this year with their new exemptions, yet again at this weeks event in Palm Beaches. Most of these guys wouldn’t have completed on the PGA tour hadn’t it been for the exemptions.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Can someone remind me of why I should care about Anthony Kim? What's the aura around him?

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
No reason. Just 'tradition'. Like Caddies have to carry and can't use push carts etc.

They should do away with such meaningless traditions.
It’s not just tradition. It’s pretty integral to the game that a player and their playing partners monitor their own/each others score.

It’s partly because there are 145 guys out there in groups of 3 with a volunteer scorer walking with them. They don’t include this volunteer in chats about drops or in rulings. The volunteer is tracking to keep the media/fans updated. Not to officially track the score.

Past the top 25/30 guys in the field every week, where they are getting no TV coverage it’s extremely common to see mistakes on the app, e.g. a player down for a par on one hole where they actually had a bogey. This may be rectified mid round when the scorer double checks with the player or it may not be updated until later. But it goes to show these volunteers make mistakes.

There are also shotlink spotters with each group but again, once the ball is off the tee, the rest of the data is collected by a person walking to each ball with a tablet. Their distance data is accurate. But they’re not involved in those chats about taking relief/unplayable etc.

The onus on tracking scoring will always be on the player and his playing partners and the majority of players would want it this way.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
It’s not just tradition. It’s pretty integral to the game that a player and their playing partners monitor their own/each others score.

It’s partly because there are 145 guys out there in groups of 3 with a volunteer scorer walking with them. They don’t include this volunteer in chats about drops or in rulings. The volunteer is tracking to keep the media/fans updated. Not to officially track the score.

Past the top 25/30 guys in the field every week, where they are getting no TV coverage it’s extremely common to see mistakes on the app, e.g. a player down for a par on one hole where they actually had a bogey. This may be rectified mid round when the scorer double checks with the player or it may not be updated until later. But it goes to show these volunteers make mistakes.

There are also shotlink spotters with each group but again, once the ball is off the tee, the rest of the data is collected by a person walking to each ball with a tablet. Their distance data is accurate. But they’re not involved in those chats about taking relief/unplayable etc.

The onus on tracking scoring will always be on the player and his playing partners and the majority of players would want it this way.
The walking scorers are good enough for TV, no reason why they should not be good enough for a golfer. Also most online websites including PGA website keeps online scores of every playing golfer through the round, TV coverage or not.

A majority are unintentional mistake and take a good golfer away from the game and fans (see recent Spieth DQ).

I doubt if PGA adopts an alternate method without the sword of DQ hanging over, there would be opposition from the players. There are ample workarounds and better ways to do this. It is archaic and should be done away with.

Gee Male

The walking scorers are good enough for TV, no reason why they should not be good enough for a golfer. Also most online websites including PGA website keeps online scores of every playing golfer through the round, TV coverage or not.

A majority are unintentional mistake and take a good golfer away from the game and fans (see recent Spieth DQ).

I doubt if PGA adopts an alternate method without the sword of DQ hanging over, there would be opposition from the players. There are ample workarounds and better ways to do this. It is archaic and should be done away with.
This is a funny argument - you're effectively saying that if Spieth had someone to track his score for him then he wouldn't have been disqualified. That's a non sequitur - the point really is that if Spieth himself can get it wrong, then why would the third party be any more accurate? The post you've responded to points out that the app gets scores wrong all the time (and it really does - there are corrections all the time). What would be achieved by giving to that?

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire

The walking scorers are good enough for TV, you're right. Because if they make a mistake, particularly down the field, it'll be rectified before it's noticed. But what if the mistake is late on in the round for a golfer on the cut line? And the PGA Tour website does keep score of every playing golfer. Often with mistakes that have to be rectified because they are being input by humans, often volunteers.

I know this because I've a friend playing on tour and we track his score hole by hole every week he's playing, whether he's near the top of the leaderboard, on the cut-line or struggling down the field and it's a very regular occurrence that we'd be chatting in our whatsapp group about a birdie or a bogey, only to check back a little later and for it to be changed. Or the shot tracker has him down for a penalty drop or something similar only for that to be changed a half an hour later. How are these changes implemented do you think? The player/caddy will notice the scorer is carrying around a board with the wrong score and tell them or the scorers will check with the players and realise their mistake. So if the players don't keep a record of their scores and the volunteers word is final, wouldn't this throw up even more controversy than the rare time a player signs for a wrong score?

As for the bolded part, they players have plenty of power to change things, yet this is never brought up. Even though some high profile players have been on the wrong end of it from time to time. I can tell you from speaking to some golfers, they want control over their own scoring because they don't want to put their livelihood in the hands of a volunteer who's just along for the day out.

Conor

Weather delay is not exactly what you want when you're on a violent heater like Van Rooyen.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Been watching a bit of LIV golf recently incl. the event in Las Vegas, as a golf fan I would think it’s ignorant to ignore it particularly with all the big names playing in it nowadays.

The things I like was a lot of interesting innovations in terms of the TV coverage, it should certainly appeal to a younger audience. Having Ferity unleashed, edgy & uncensored as the main pundit adds to the youthfulness of the broadcast (even though he’s well in his 60’s).
I think there’s a lot of merit in the team concept. It brings an extra dimension. There’s some things that could be tweaked and the names of the teams are dreadful, but I think it’s generally a great innovation.
The most important advantage of LIV golf is that you’re guaranteed a star studded lineup at each event. Rahm, Dechamb, Johnson, Koepka, Smith, etc etc. The leaderboard is full of names you’d expect to see up there at each major.

However, I’m not a fan of the shotgun starts and the level of golf seems disappointing considering all the big names. I can’t quite put my finger on why that seems. Maybe it’s because of the limited pool of players in LIV and why form is such an important factor in golf (who ever thought Pavon would dominate the West coast swing in the PGA Tour?). Finally, some things are a bit gimmicky.

I think you can compare LIV golf to 20/20 cricket. If the PGA & Saudi’s can come to some agreement and have, for example, have two 6 week windows where LIV golf is played. Something needs to be done because the current situation is dreadful having two competing tours in professional golf.
Saw final round today and had similar thoughts. I think they are still struggling to get rid of the gimmicky feel to the event. I agree that the team aspect actually has value to it. Biggest issue unfortunately will forever be the struggle to match the intensity of a proper event. Like today Nieman was 2 shots ahead for most of the back 9 but it all felt so dead like it was a practice session.

P.S - Poulter & Westwood have definitely taken it as a retirement gift where they are enjoying the perks while not giving a shit