Gaming Google Stadia | rcoobc (2019): "Don't be surprised if Google Stadia comes to Xbox One." | RIP: 2019 - 2023

Ainu

Well, with the free sub later on, it seems like you would just buy the games to play 1080p max with the paying sub giving you access to 4k. But why would anyone want to buy games to play on Stadia, knowing that there is significantly less ownership involved even compared to the digital game stores of today? This has to be a paying sub with no additional charge for games or it's dead in the water.

Castia

Pricing is shite

£10 a month and then the games bought on top of that? No thanks.

They should have gone with a Gamepass/Netflix model of subscription.

Ainu

Obviously, whatever library of games included for free in the Pro subscription model isn't going to be particularly attractive, so in reality you're just going to be buying games as usual. This might be an interesting service for people who play sporadically and don't necessarily want recent-ish titles. They might be tempted to get a subscription for a month or two, catch up with some older titles and then cancel the subscription. I see little value beyond that. Real enthusiasts aren't going to be swayed by the 4k/60fps stuff only to experience latency and depend completely on network infrastructure. And in any case, buying games that then depend completely on a single streaming service (which could change its conditions at any moment) just doesn't sit well with me.

prateik

Isn't the idea that you can play games without spending $1500 on a gaming PC?

So $10/month.. $120/year to play games on Googles machines and stream it on any screen is far from the worst deal.. Especially for people like me who want to try a few games but have no interest in upgrading my PC to run them on playable settings. I can play it for a couple of months and be done.

If they can deliver a good gaming experience and if the latency is improved, the pricing is fine.

Ainu

So $10/month.. $120/year to play games on Googles machines and stream it on any screen is far from the worst deal.. Especially for people like me who want to try a few games but have no interest in upgrading my PC to run them on playable settings. I can play it for a couple of months and be done.

If they can deliver a good gaming experience and if the latency is improved, the pricing is fine.
But why would you pay 120 a year when you still have to buy the games anyway? You would simply opt for the base model, which is free. But then I don't see how that model is sustainable without additional revenue streams (like ads) to support all the infrastructure costs.

Last edited:

mav_9me

But is google stadia competing against PC gaming or Xbox/PS casual gaming? Xbox One S is around 200$ which would you rather? Only thing I see is you could play now say on your work computer via chrome.

Fully Fledged

But is google stadia competing against PC gaming or Xbox/PS casual gaming? Xbox One S is around 200$ which would you rather? Only thing I see is you could play now say on your work computer via chrome.
4K 60FPS. Try doing that on a Xbox One S

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
4K 60FPS. Try doing that on a Xbox One S
At what true cost though? Also what will the latency be like?

This kind of thing is the future, it has been worked on by all the major players for a long time, and the pricing model WILL get worse. You can quote me on that. However, like all new technologies, this is the start and won't be in any way some flawless experience.

Somehow, down the line, I also think google will be seen as way worse than EA/M$ when they start destroying dev teams too.

Redlambs

Depends on what you want from a gaming PC..
Well, obviously.

However, if you want one to match consoles, it really isn't that far away. Especially when you consider game prices, backwards compatibility and features.

And unless you are a hardcore gamer or streamer, that kind of money is ridiculous. I've demonstrated numerous times over the years how the cost is comparable, yet people still insist on throwing daft figures around.

Fully Fledged

At what true cost though? Also what will the latency be like?

This kind of thing is the future, it has been worked on by all the major players for a long time, and the pricing model WILL get worse. You can quote me on that. However, like all new technologies, this is the start and won't be in any way some flawless experience.

Somehow, down the line, I also think google will be seen as way worse than EA/M$ when they start destroying dev teams too.
I totally agree. I wont be subscribing unless they get some killer Exclusives. Even then not until they work out all the bugs.

The thing is that if it works £120 a year for a Gaming PC experience. That's cheap. It would take 10 years of subscription to buy a decent gaming PC.

Redlambs

I totally agree. I wont be subscribing unless they get some killer Exclusives. Even then not until they work out all the bugs.

The thing is that if it works £120 a year for a Gaming PC experience. That's cheap. It would take 10 years of subscription to buy a decent gaming PC.
It's never going to be a gaming pc experience though. That's the main thing. It can't compete in any way that matters, bar graphically. And even then, if people think they are going to get 4k @60fps with no lag at all...then...well...

So we are down to a console gaming experience. However, one that relies entirely on a strong and stable internet connection at all times and with ever increasing subscription and game costs.

If this was something major right now, both Sony and M$ wouldn't be spending a fortune on new machines. After all, they have been looking at game streaming for way longer than google.

This thing is for the most casual of gamers and mobile phone players, which isn't a bad thing in that way, but is very pricey for that market all things considering.

Marcelinho87

Well, obviously.

However, if you want one to match consoles, it really isn't that far away. Especially when you consider game prices, backwards compatibility and features.

And unless you are a hardcore gamer or streamer, that kind of money is ridiculous. I've demonstrated numerous times over the years how the cost is comparable, yet people still insist on throwing daft figures around.
Yep you can better a console for around £500 give or take a few £

Mine on the other hand... Cost me a small fortune.

Fully Fledged

It's never going to be a gaming pc experience though. That's the main thing. It can't compete in any way that matters, bar graphically. And even then, if people think they are going to get 4k @60fps with no lag at all...then...well...

So we are down to a console gaming experience. However, one that relies entirely on a strong and stable internet connection at all times and with ever increasing subscription and game costs.

If this was something major right now, both Sony and M$ wouldn't be spending a fortune on new machines. After all, they have been looking at game streaming for way longer than google.

This thing is for the most casual of gamers and mobile phone players, which isn't a bad thing in that way, but is very pricey for that market all things considering.
How much do you pay for your console multiplayer pass though?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
So do you pay for the console, pay the £9.99 a month and then you can play any game? Or is it a selection of games that is included but you're still expected to pay for more 'premium' games?

Redlambs

Yep you can better a console for around £500 give or take a few £

Mine on the other hand... Cost me a small fortune.
Did you buy or make?

But yeah, that's a strength of PC gaming for me, not a weakness. Of you want to build a real machine, you can. If you want to buy cheap, overclock, and gradually add to it you can.

Fact is though, lots of people are woefully missinformed about PC gaming when it comes to debates like this :(

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Probably won't get this as I've got a PS4/Xbox One already, and I doubt Stadia will have enough games that interest me. Plus I use the PS4 to access a lot of on demand stuff such as Netflix/Now TV/Amazon Prime etc.

Plus I'm hoping by the time this comes around we'll have more info on the PS5.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Did you buy or make?

But yeah, that's a strength of PC gaming for me, not a weakness. Of you want to build a real machine, you can. If you want to buy cheap, overclock, and gradually add to it you can.

Fact is though, lots of people are woefully missinformed about PC gaming when it comes to debates like this :(
Does Stadia have CELL?

Bojan11

So do you pay for the console, pay the £9.99 a month and then you can play any game? Or is it a selection of games that is included but you're still expected to pay for more 'premium' games?
Selection and you have to pay for premium third party games. Not sure if new games from google are free. Should be like gamepass where MS studio games are free. But I suspect that will change next gen when MS ramp up their first party support.

Ainu

Do we really expect Google to start creating their own games? I seriously doubt it. They might buy some studios but I doubt they'll put in an honest effort to start rivaling Sony's exclusive offerings for example.

Bojan11

Do we really expect Google to start creating their own games? I seriously doubt it. They might buy some studios but I doubt they'll put in an honest effort to start rivaling Sony's exclusive offerings for example.
They investing in their own studios. They hired a few key people from other studios, so you expect them to make their own games. Whether they good or not is another case.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Good, 10€ a month to have app store games on my tv. Pass.

Either make every game playable for a subscription fee or feck off.

Ainu

They investing in their own studios. They hired a few key people from other studios, so you expect them to make their own games. Whether they good or not is another case.
Interesting. Weird that they didn't show any of this yet, it's what this thing needs to get going. Either way, building up a good portfolio of first-pary IPs isn't easy.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It's also not $1500 for a gaming PC.

People really are never going to get that into their skulls are they :lol:
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/bvzge0/my_first_buildnonmac_ever/

$2500

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/bvbfrl/build_complete_here_to_ruin_my_life_with_wow_all/

$1895

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/bwzr5t/first_build/

£943

I'm getting these just from reddits "build complete" flair in the last week https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/search?q=flair_name:"Build Complete"&restrict_sr=1&t=week&sort=top

So I don't really know what you mean Lambsy. Obviously you don't have to spend $1500 for a Gaming PC - but to equal what Stadia offers? dot dot dot

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Did you buy or make?

Thats the biggest thing for me. I only just got into actual gaming on a PC March last year, at 32, owning consoles my whole life.
I thought it was an expensive machine that needed updating every 5minutes to keep on top.

I'd never go back to console anymore. Everything on the PC is just so much better. I never planned to spend what I did, but I don't regret it at all. I'd say it'll out perform the next gen consoles as it is.
If PS4 and Xbox go down the software RTX, they'll be stuck at 30fps for yet another generation.
Big words sell consoles....RTX, 4k and so on. It holds the consoles back

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I can’t think of anything I care less about in gaming than 4K and 60fps

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/bvzge0/my_first_buildnonmac_ever/

$2500

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/bvbfrl/build_complete_here_to_ruin_my_life_with_wow_all/

$1895

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/bwzr5t/first_build/

£943

I'm getting these just from reddits "build complete" flair in the last week https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/search?q=flair_name:"Build Complete"&restrict_sr=1&t=week&sort=top

So I don't really know what you mean Lambsy. Obviously you don't have to spend $1500 for a Gaming PC - but to equal what Stadia offers? dot dot dot
These builds include $200 headphones, $500 monitors etc

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
4k is a luxury but 60fps? Depends on the type of game I would say.
I honestly couldn’t even tell you the last games I played that were 60fps. I mostly just play my switch so the vast majority are only 30. Developers could do with focusing making games actually good rather than making graphical masterpieces.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I honestly couldn’t even tell you the last games I played that were 60fps. I mostly just play my switch so the vast majority are only 30. Developers could do with focusing making games actually good rather than making graphical masterpieces.
Both can co-exist! God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn are both graphically stunning and phenomenal games to boot.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Switch has a lot of 60 fps titles in that it has Mario, Splatoon, 1,2 Switch, Arms, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Bros Deluxe, Super Bomberman (Battle mode), etc

Basically most of Nintendo's first party games are 60 FPS, except Pokemon and BOTW