Got to give it to Japan

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
The "Future Powerhouse of Football" comes to mind. They've improved a vast amount. Very likeable bunch.

0le

I saw the first half and thought they were lacking ideas. Unfortunately I missed the second half were I was told they played far better.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Did the right thing with the corner, they were tired and Belgium were starting to physically dominate them with Fellaini and Lukaku pushed up. They've likely have been beaten in extra time comfortably and they knew it. Had a go and in the end paid the price but they were excellent and played good football.

One of the teams of the tournament for me, coming out of a tight group where they were expected to be last and putting it up to a strong Belgium. People can talk about the time wasting v Poland but thats football. Iran are being praised for time wasting and playing for draws when they needed to win but Japan slaughtered for doing whats right for them, its laughable.

Great team who brought a lot to the tournament, just happened to get sucker punched by the only KDB moment KDB has produced in a tight game at the WC.

criticalanalysis

Call it clever but at the same time it's against the spirit of the game and it wasn't a good advert for football. Nice bit of irony of fate that in the very next game they're eliminated in the cruelest way in added time.
:lol:

Not this again but try this: running the clock down by dribbling the football to the corner flag in the closing minutes when your team are trying to hold on a narrow lead in a crucial game is also technically against the spirit of the game and not a good advert for football. Let's not be hypocritical here.
I hope you're equally enraged and morally judgemental for every time wasting moment in a game, park the bus tactics, touch fouls, diving, man handling, ref baiting etc and other 'gamesmanship' things.

Apart from the Poland game, Japan has arguably played the most amount of football in the tournament (relative to their squad) and been the best 'team' around. Their style has been a fantastic advert for football. For example, once Mexico and Croatia faced more resilient opponents, they abandoned their front foot approach and got dragged into dog fights.

Despite being clearly physically inferior, they've bossed some of the best atheletes and highest profile players on the ball.

And let's not forget it takes two to tango as Poland was all too happy to olbige and kind of sum up their tournament i.e happy with a win where they've not really tried or commited in any of their games.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
They were brilliant tonight, they would've been worthy quarter finalists. After going 2-0 up I think they should've made some changes, possibly bring on a defensive midfielder or an extra defender. But credit to them they attacked throughout the match and even threw many men forward for the last corner when they could've played it safe and go to extra time.

lawliet354

Being an Asian, I can't help but rooting for Japan, but since I start watching football in early 2000s I don't remember them having great striker or goalkeeper, even though they have a lot of great midfielder (Nakata, Nakamura, Honda, Hasebe, Kagawa, Shibasaki is the next in line) and good enough defender. They always play good football, they got the basic right, but they always lack that final third instinct, I always think one of the reason they never got past round of 16 is their lack of good striker. In fact, in every major tournament I ever watch them I never see their striker doing anything excellent, they even play Honda as false 9 in 2010.

That being said, this has been a really good tournament for Japan, lot of people expect them to finish last in the group, yet they pull through and almost managed to pull a miracle against Belgium, the decision to sack their coach shortly before the WC turned out to be the correct decision, I hope they do have some good striker for the future, I hope they will someday be able to go past round of 16

Last edited:

AkaAkuma

Being an Asian, I can't help but rooting for Japan, but since I start watching football in early 2000s I don't remember them having great striker or goalkeeper, even though they have a lot of great midfielder (Nakata, Nakamura, Honda, Hasebe, Kagawa, Shibasaki is the next in line) and good enough defender. They always play good football, they got the basic right, but they always lack that final third instinct, I always think one of the reason they never got past round of 16 is their lack of good striker. In fact, in every major tournament I ever watch them I never see their striker doing anything excellent, they even play Honda as false 9 in 2010.

That being said, this has been a really good tournament for Japan, lot of people expect them to finish last in the group, yet they pull through and almost managed to pull a miracle against Belgium, the decision to sack their coach shortly before the WC turned out to be the correct decision, I hope they do have some good striker for the future, I hope they will someday be able to go past round of 16
Endo was one of their best midfielders, but often forgotten as he didn't play in Europe.

maniwin

they would have went through if Jose Mourinho is their coach, should have shut the door after 2-0. They were the better team till Fellaini came on and they have nothing to deal with him.

FromTheBench

They pretty much lost due to physical disadvantage for me.

On the ground they were the better team.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
they would have went through if Jose Mourinho is their coach, should have shut the door after 2-0. They were the better team till Fellaini came on and they have nothing to deal with him.

They wouldn't have been playing the style they do, under Mourinho though.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Gotta say, they ain't bitches. Not a single complaint, never harangued the ref, never waved imaginary yellows, no diving.

They actually payed for it.

manunited1919

I had to keep telling my wife that Belgium is full of superstars.

Me: look, that is KDB who bosses the midfield for Manchester City.
Wife: Who is he, is he playing blue?
Me: and that one is Hazard, and Vertongen, etc etc

At the end, my wife, who doesn’t watch football except for WC, was rooting for Japan and she cried when they lost.

Lj82

Same for me.

I thought Shibasaki played well this world cup. First time I saw him. Pretty impressed.

markgiggsy11

Interesting read about Japan and their 100 year plan to win the World Cup by 2092. They showed a lot of heart and promise and seem like they're on the right path to achieving this!

Read: Japan and the 100 year vision

In 1991, Japanese football was at its lowest point. Their top flight was played by amateurs and the football association knew something needed to be done.

The birth of the J League soon followed. Japan now had its own professional football league that one day would become the best in Asia. The dream was to have a successful, sustainable league, one to be proud of – to have a hundred professional clubs, and lastly, to win the World Cup by 2092. It’s all part of a 100-year vision.

So, over almost three decades on, is Japan on schedule to match their ambition? One positive sign is that the growth of the sport across the nation has seen interest in their two most popular sports, sumo wrestling and baseball, dwindle.

Reactions: Penna

Hercules

Their fans actually stayed to clean the stadium after the game. Fair play by the players as well, they are becoming my new favorite team.

Darkhorsez

Did the right thing with the corner, they were tired and Belgium were starting to physically dominate them with Fellaini and Lukaku pushed up. They've likely have been beaten in extra time comfortably and they knew it. Had a go and in the end paid the price but they were excellent and played good football.

One of the teams of the tournament for me, coming out of a tight group where they were expected to be last and putting it up to a strong Belgium. People can talk about the time wasting v Poland but thats football. Iran are being praised for time wasting and playing for draws when they needed to win but Japan slaughtered for doing whats right for them, its laughable.

Great team who brought a lot to the tournament, just happened to get sucker punched by the only KDB moment KDB has produced in a tight game at the WC.
My thoughts exactly. Well done Japan! By the way, KDB really looks lethargic and not with it right. Strange compared to when he plays in the league.

Drz

Wanted to pay my respects as well. I remember around the time I joined this forum I stumbled upon their u16s playing, it impressed me a lot. The difference with what I saw yesterday was the intensity.
They will learn from this, there is much they can be proud of.
Finally Kagawa, what a player, such a shame we had Moyes in charge. I hope he goes on to find the groove that got us to sign him in the first place.
This is my favorite world cup by far.

Reyoji-Utd

Inexperienced and naievity cost them the match. 2-0 up at 60mins and still trying to go for a kill. Should have slow th game down a bit and go into defensive mode and thinking about defend for your life to go through.

meamth

I like Kagawa passing in the final third. So full of pace and cuteness.

Kudos to Japan, they can't afford to park the bus really. What do you expect? Let them put the cross in with Lukaku and Fellaini inside the box?

kudos to them for trying to score more.

el3mel

How to throw Mourinho name in a completely irrelevant thread.

DRM

What happened to Okazaki? I thought he would've been a shoe in to start upfront

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Had to leave Cafe after the game, couldn't stand being around and reading anything about football. I really don't get it though, I was very bitter about them after their game with Poland, had no money on them, and really do not dislike Belgium *that* much, but still, that defeat yesterday was most I was pissed about anything football in a long time.

Damn.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The arsing around at the end of the Poland game wasn't great to see however I can understand them doing what they had to do to progress, and given they were still vulnerable to a single goal in the other game it was more of a cynical calculation than outright cheating.

That aside they've been an absolute credit to the tournament. They worked like demons for each other, had fantastic organisation and no small amount of flair (that second goal :drool:). I thought the keeper looked dodgy but he tried his best and it was a shame to see him so distraught at the end.

It was sad to see them go out in such a cruel manner but all credit to Belgium, who came back from the dead and should prove a handful for anyone in this tournament.

Murray3007

basically they exploited all the weakness's in Belgiums squad, big decision in the game when kompany dives in the corner and wins a free kick as the boy would have been threw on goal, a minute later big fellaini scores to make it 2-2. same with Denmark they made Croatia look very ordinary with the right tactics.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
basically they exploited all the weakness's in Belgiums squad, big decision in the game when kompany dives in the corner and wins a free kick as the boy would have been threw on goal, a minute later big fellaini scores to make it 2-2. same with Denmark they made Croatia look very ordinary with the right tactics.
Yea, I thought the assistant made a horrible call there. It was clear that both were going at it and Kompany lost his balance, hardly a foul by the Japanese player.

CA1

They were excellent.

They should be proud and when all is is said and done only one team won't have a heartbreaking exit. You may as well do it playing like that and capture the hearts of the football world. People will remember their performance and game which is important for a lesser football nation.

Ace of Spades

Yea, I thought the assistant made a horrible call there. It was clear that both were going at it and Kompany lost his balance, hardly a foul by the Japanese player.
It was such a shit decision, that it was probably the only time in the entire tournament that I saw a Japanese player actually pissed off at a decision and argue with the ref. Moments later Belgium equalize.

Revan

Assumptionman
They excel at the fundamentals of football, and their players have good technical ability. They have been improving slowly but steady.

I think that they can become a top football team in the future, unlike the likes of China and US.

Red Samurai

As a Japanese, the end was devastating, but this thread made me feel sooo proud.
Thank you fellow Red Devils here!(not THAT Red Devils though)

padr81

Supports
Man City
My thoughts exactly. Well done Japan! By the way, KDB really looks lethargic and not with it right. Strange compared to when he plays in the league.
Looks way, way off. He hasn't been great for City since early March so maybe tired but he's a problem for Belgium.

Canagel

I had to keep telling my wife that Belgium is full of superstars.

Me: look, that is KDB who bosses the midfield for Manchester City.
Wife: Who is he, is he playing blue?
Me: and that one is Hazard, and Vertongen, etc etc

At the end, my wife, who doesn’t watch football except for WC, was rooting for Japan and she cried when they lost.
:lol: I was watching the game with my mum who knows barely anything about football and she thought Belgium were the underdog team and Japan were the more established team because of the way they dominated the game. They didn't deserve to lose like they did I thought.

Slysi17

Admired the way they played against Belgium. They had a go instead of sitting back and hoping to nick a goal like most lower ranked teams would do. Don't get the criticism in regards to pushing men forward for the last corner. Could tell Belgium would overpower them and win it in extra time. They were on their last legs near the end.

inamoto

Supports
Japan national football team
As a Japanese, the end was devastating, but this thread made me feel sooo proud.
Thank you fellow Red Devils here!(not THAT Red Devils though)
Pardon to ask but what is your assessment of the current national team so far? Overseas fan following Team Japan here.

Last edited: