Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

Revan

Assumptionman
There are plenty of good reasons for Potter's failure with Chelsea, no doubt about that. It doesn't really change whether we should pursue him, in my opinion. He was decent with Brighton, and a failed under difficult circumstances at Chelsea. Does that CV justify hiring him as United manager? I would say no.
It depends what we want. Win the EPL/UCL in the next two seasons, or even compete for the league? No, stay clear off him.

Build a good well-drilled squad of young players that in the future can compete for titles (probably with another manager)? Could be an interesting choice.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
It depends what we want. Win the EPL/UCL in the next two seasons, or even compete for the league? No, stay clear off him.

Build a good well-drilled squad of young players that in the future can compete for titles (probably with another manager)? Could be an interesting choice.
Potter buckled under the pressure at Chelsea. Not sure that the Utd job is the best next choice for him.

Red00012

The fact we’ve moved on Sancho shows we’ve no short term plans to sack ETH

RuudTom83

Potter is coming off a huge fail...he should really have to go somewhere else and prove he's still got it before getting a chance at a United/Real/Bayern etc.

But there are not many alternatives out there, so I can see the attraction for the board. But it screams sideways step to me.

Flying_Heckfish

He has an awful record for "goals scored" doesn't he? Seemed to have the same problems building an efficient attack at both Brighton and Chelsea.

Next guy needs to bring the goals back, I don't think Potter is the one even if we discount his time at Chelsea

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well no, because he was unprofessional anyway and INEOS would likely see him as a rotten apple regardless. And even if they didn't he's only gone on loan.

tomaldinho1

I'm not sure. It's a smart move which leaves the door open for him to return. ETH basically will either galvanise the team and do well, or he will be gone by end of season. Currently the latter seems more likely looking at our form and, in that case, Sancho will return I believe.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I want to hear what the ETH haters are thinking about this .
Rolling the dice on a manager who has done well in the Prem to replace a manager I am pretty confident in my opinion of him showing he can't cut it in this league.. there's no slam dunk option, but it has to be someone that aligns with the way we want to play. Might work out differently with Potter here.

I don't think it happens, but it wouldn't be a bad appointment.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Even if you were to discount his tenure at Chelsea, why would we go for him and not De Zerbi who is doing better at Brighton

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Potter is coming off a huge fail...he should really have to go somewhere else and prove he's still got it before getting a chance at a United/Real/Bayern etc.

But there are not many alternatives out there, so I can see the attraction for the board. But it screams sideways step to me.
Hansi Flick has won the Treble.
Zinedine Zidane has won Champions League titles back to back to back.
Antonio Conte has won the Premier League (as well as Serie A).

There are free agents who could be a convincing alternative to Potter.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Funny list of clubs. Bayern and Real have no issue with signing less experienced managers or managers who have failed in their last job, when they believe a manager is a good fit.

Which club does exist with a similarly broken structure, very mixed team, high expectations and little to back up these expectations recently? Which club can be used as a proof that someone has got what it takes to succeed at United? I honestly can't think of one, so every manager signing will be a kind of gamble (or in other words you have to look very carefully at things that can indicate if he can work under sich circumstances)

Revan

Assumptionman
Even if you were to discount his tenure at Chelsea, why would we go for him and not De Zerbi who is doing better at Brighton
Cause he will probably cost north of 20m, and sacking EtH would cost 10-15m (depending if we do it now or in the summer).

didz

I dont comment on Potter but why this constant love for ETH? And all this rubbish about 'optimal conditions', its called real life. Top managers deal with it. What has he shown in 18 months, last 9 months the football is woeful and some of the worst defeats in our history. His signings are woeful and the squad worst its been for decades. Do you watch a different team?
I watch many different teams; mostly Manchester United, who I happen to support.

As to your other question, I haven't seen anybody showing Ten Hag anything that could be called 'constant love' by any reasonable person.

Judging by the rest of your post, I believe I can save us all some time: I could point to his credentials elsewhere, his performance last season, the litany of issues he's dealt with, and the nature of the club.

You'll then cry "no excuses" or some such, committing a fallacy of equivocation because you fail to see the difference between reasons and excuses. You'll probably then argue that any previous achievements weren't really achievements at all, but just the result of a collective mass delusion that only you and a handful of others were wise enough to see through. I imagine you will also throw in some condescending loaded questions and needlessly emotionally charged language in a misguided attempt to make your own opinion seem so obvious that anyone who doesn't share it must be blind, stupid, or both.

I'll politely ignore your tone and set about providing examples that undermine the vaguely salient points you do manage to make. This will annoy and anger you, making you more and more polemic in your responses.

Eventually, simply typing messages on an internet forum won't be enough. The thrill of knowing that what you believe is gospel will drive you to do something more. Something that makes a real difference.

So you get in your car and you drive. You drive until that gnawing feeling that other points of view exist consumes you. Until the importance of your own undeniable absolute truth inflates to fill the void tha has formed in the absence of what was once your own capacity for reason. Maybe you take a ferry? Maybe you take a plane?

It doesn't matter, because ultimately there was only one place your story could end, and one thing you could do to end it.

Enjoy your day, my friend.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Funny list of clubs. Bayern and Real have no issue with signing less experienced managers or managers who have failed in their last job, when they believe a manager is a good fit.

Which club does exist with a similarly broken structure, very mixed team, high expectations and little to back up these expectations recently? Which club can be used as a proof that someone has got what it takes to succeed at United? I honestly can't think of one, so every manager signing will be a kind of gamble (or in other words you have to look very carefully at things that can indicate if he can work under sich circumstances)
According to many on here, you can hire only managers that haven't ever failed before or are 'unproven' at a top club. Those that have failed before are therefore worse than ETH (even though he's never proven himself at a top club).

That leaves us with 2 options, that I can think of: Zidane and Pep. Good luck with that!

But yes, you are right. I have made this point myself, but sometimes a manager will just fit with a club and the players, leading to success. Even if they have had some failure in the past.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I won't be surprised if true. United are in a hurry. They can't waste weeks discussing player transfers with someone who only follow the Dutch league. Meanwhile ETH might not trust the setup INEOS want to build. If Ashworth is truly going to be our sporting director then he might want someone who he had previously had worked with and who knows he's good.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I think De Zerbi would be high/top on everyone's list. I just wonder if he would be interested in the move or not, and whether we'd be willing to pay a big fee to bring him in, on top of the fee to sack ETH.

Rockets Redglare

Whether you rate Potter as a coach or not it can’t be denied that he looked completely out of his depth at Chelsea, who are a tiny club in comparison to United.

Utter deer in the headlights like Moyes at United.

devilish

Whether you rate Potter as a coach or not it can’t be denied that he looked completely out of his depth at Chelsea, who are a tiny club in comparison to United.

Utter deer in the headlights like Moyes at United.
TBF he moved from possibly the best run club in the UK to a circus.

devilish

We are a circus at times
Yes.

But if we bring the right people in than we won't. Blanc, Ashworth and Mitchell are among the best in class. Ashworth had already worked with Potter as well. He knows his strengths and he certainly acknowledge his limitations

lex talionis

It seems the problem is a dearth of options with PL experience, which leaves us with the uninspired hard look at Potter. But are there not a few promising managers in La Liga we can pry loose to take on what would be a monumental challenge but one they might be perfectly situated to take on?

Pes6Monster

Potter managing us is why I have severe reservations about Ratcliffe.

His would be a hiring for ideological over footballing reasons - he's British so he's applicable. Brexit Jim to the fore.

Hopefully, they see sense and hire a serious manager based on performance.

RuudTom83

For me I can't just forget or look past what he did at Chelsea. Potter would need to win something before I would change my mind.

As far as what other clubs could you use to gauge a managers credentials for the United job then like I mentioned doing it as a big club would be a start. Winning trophies would be another place to starts. With Potter is basically an empty CV with only a few memories of Brighton playing some decent stuff (who now play even better after he's left haha)

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
People are vastly overrating his time at Brighton. He finished 15th and 16th before he finished 9th, yet he was supposedly at the best run club in the country?

de Zerbi keeps losing his best players and their style of play and competitiveness doesn’t suffer. He immediately took them up a level upon arrival.

Chelsea was a car crash and, crucially, he couldn’t score goals in the premier league. The very opposite of what we need right now.

He isn’t good enough, he doesn’t have the personality for it, and there is literally nothing in the “pros” column to suggest that he could do it.

It would be daft and destined to fail from the off. More time and resources wasted and confirmation that the change we desperately need isn’t coming.

Kaos

People are vastly overrating his time at Brighton. He finished 15th and 16th before he finished 9th, yet he was supposedly at the best run club in the country?

de Zerbi keeps losing his best players and their style of play and competitiveness doesn’t suffer. He immediately took them up a level upon arrival.

Chelsea was a car crash and, crucially, he couldn’t score goals in the premier league. The very opposite of what we need right now.

He isn’t good enough, he doesn’t have the personality for it, and there is literally nothing in the “pros” column to suggest that he could do it.

It would be daft and destined to fail from the off. More time and resources wasted and confirmation that the change we desperately need isn’t coming.
Spot on. I'm also failing to see the positives of this possible appointment. We wouldn't look to be poaching him if he were already at a club, and I suspect the fact he's out of work and readily available is heavily driving our interest. If thats the case then its better just sticking with ETH until the end of the season, and then going for a De Zerbie/Amorim type appointment in the summer. It's not like parachuting Graham feckin Potter in now is going to save our season midway.

ErikElevenHag

Hansi Flick has won the Treble.
Zinedine Zidane has won Champions League titles back to back to back.
Antonio Conte has won the Premier League (as well as Serie A).

There are free agents who could be a convincing alternative to Potter.
Do people ever learn.

There is nothing at all convincing about Antonio Conte. Dreadful football, signs retirees and has blown up at every club he's been at.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game

Exactly

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Potter took over a club that was flirting with relegation every season, playing awful football under Hughton. De Zerbi took over a highflying team sitting in 4th benefiting from the fruits of Potter's labour. He laid the ground works and was clearly improving the squad each season. To just say he finished 15th, 16th and 9th removes all nuance and context.

The Brighton he took over wasn't the Brighton we see today. They went through a process of improvement over several years and Potter had a big hand in that. De Zerbi walked into a completely different club than the one Potter walked into.

I'm not arguing for Potter's credentials as a potential United manager. I think both parties should stay well away from each other but I think you're doing a massive, massive disservice to him by the way you've characterised his Brighton years.

Kaos

Potter took over a club that was flirting with relegation every season, playing awful football under Hughton. De Zerbi took over a highflying team sitting in 4th benefiting from the fruits of Potter's labour. He laid the ground works and was clearly improving the squad each season. To just say he finished 15th, 16th and 9th removes all nuance and context.

The Brighton he took over wasn't the Brighton we see today. They went through a process of improvement over several years and Potter had a big hand in that. De Zerbi walked into a completely different club than the one Potter walked into.

I'm not arguing for Potter's credentials as a potential United manager. I think both parties should stay well away from each other but I think you're doing a massive, massive disservice to him by the way you've characterised his Brighton years.
I feel like Brighton's ascension was largely down to their ownership and scouting system, more so than Potter's coaching. I'm not downplaying Potter's work at Brighton, but I feel like his legacy there is overrated.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
The funny thing about De Zerbi is that no one would have wanted him if we scouted him to take over instead of EtH (in a hypothetical world he hasn’t taken over at Brighton) - everyone would have been up in arms about it.

It’s like everyone is searching for this perfect manager which doesn’t exist and then crying when they’re chosen one doesn’t work out.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20

If I was Palace, I would be looking at him. Don’t get me wrong.

But people go too far the other way. He couldn’t score goals and he proved that wasn’t a one off at Chelsea. His faults are something a club like Palace can afford to punt on.

He isn’t good enough for Manchester United. Looking at his managerial history, even with nuance and context is just a further of example of how far standards are dropping. He shouldn’t even be on a shortlist. It’s comical.

That’s without even looking at how dour he is and his complete lack of charisma. It’s just a terrible fit with literally nothing concrete in the pros column.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Wish we gave him more time at Chelsea, i still think hes a really good manager despite the results with us.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I feel like Brighton's ascension was largely down to their ownership and scouting system, more so than Potter's coaching. I'm not downplaying Potter's work at Brighton, but I feel like his legacy there is overrated.
But you are downplaying his work at Brighton if you say it is largely down to their ownership and scouting system. Why is De Zerbi getting so many plaudits then? It's still the same ownership and scouting system as when Potter was there.