g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

reelworld

If Tuchel was sacked immediately after Boehly/Clearlake took over without even being given any kind of chance I'm pretty sure the fan reaction would have been way worse. Even now the overall reception wasn't great and I have to say I was personally very much against it but the poor start to the season, both result-wise as well as the performances, at least gave them an easier way out.

You seem to cling on to this '24 hours' stuff with pretty much every post. To everyone else, including the top media sources, it seems obvious this change was something that's been on the cards for Boehly-Clearlake for a good while now and I'd be very surprised if some talks hadn't taken place with Graham Potter much, much earlier already.

Btw the club also interviewed Pochettino and Amorim too. At that time Potter was already the owners' top choice but they still talked to other candidates even if it was just to confirm they still believed they were making the right choice with Potter. Isn't that how it usually goes, you have one top candidate and still consider alternative options in case something seems off?
It's just there's a lot of contradiction with this line of thought.
If Boehly-Clearlake already have a long term plan for a good while now, why do they did not execute this plan at the start of the summer? Fan reaction should not decide this kind of decision. Just trust your plan and deal with the criticism later. Fans would be quiet when your team is winning
Also this kind of stuff happens all the time in American sports, Boehly must be familiar with it. New ownership came in and wanted to bring their own guys.
Firing Tuchel just after the transfer deadline just scream reactionary to me. Most of all this move does not give Potter a room to bring in his players

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
feck it. Let's just get the big man in. JT will lead us into the promised land.
Don't do that to yourself again mate. Only works if you have a player named Pep or zidsne and a youth players consisting of messi xavi iniesta and a certain Brazilian or Portuguese with flair. For the rest of us, we are doomed.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Caf not convinced with Potter at Chelsea.

UCL for them it is.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Off course I count ours, all of the American investors I can think of in English football have been poor in my opinion.
We’ll… that’s basically just saying they’ve done worse than the Saudis at this point, no? American groups own nearly half the Premier League now. The numbers up to 8 or 10 I think.

Now is probably a good time though to pint out … again… that Boehly is the ONLY American in Chelsea’s ownership group. It would be more accurate to say Clearlake is an international group that includes an American.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
This tells me he will instantly flop.

I have been instrumental in identifying how things will work out across many fields and have liaised with many many people. I have never ever been wrong. From his first sentence i realise this isn't his level at all.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Be interesting to see how he does in Europe with them. Competing against some of the best managers/teams in Europe.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Be interesting to see how he does in Europe with them. Competing against some of the best managers/teams in Europe.
Yes.. because he has absolutely no experience in European competitions does our Pulis.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He's done pretty well against the top managers in this league (bar Pep).

Infact Brighton's performance at WHL last season reminded me of some of the Tuchel displays against the on paper superior teams in our European run. I wouldn't be shocked atall to have more good runs in the cups.

The one aspect I'm worried about is Brighton make us look clinical so I'm unconvinced he will fix that aspect which will very much hold us back league wise when it comes to trying to close the gap to the top.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

Infact Brighton's performance at WHL last season reminded me of some of the Tuchel displays against the on paper superior teams in our European run. I wouldn't be shocked atall to have more good runs in the cups.

The one aspect I'm worried about is Brighton make us look clinical so I'm unconvinced he will fix that aspect which will very much hold us back league wise when it comes to trying to close the gap to the top.
You have better finishers then Brighton though. His last game with Brighton they manage to score 5 goals. I think he’ll make you more solid at the back and score more goals.

izec

Think he will be a success for a couple of years. Then you never know with Chelsea, but i dont see him failing like some, considering he brought in his backroom staff as well. That is always key for managers switching

Oldyella

Think he will be a success for a couple of years. Then you never know with Chelsea, but i dont see him failing like some, considering he brought in his backroom staff as well. That is always key for managers switching
A couple of years is about the average job expectancy at Chelsea anyway, so would probably be considered as doing well if they are successful over that period.

cyberman

Because nobody makes a plan for Brighton. They went 14 games without a win last year, no goals at home for 3 months etc etc. he struggles against sides that sit back but top sides didn’t sit back v his Brighton side.

macheda14

This tells me he will instantly flop.

I have been instrumental in identifying how things will work out across many fields and have liaised with many many people. I have never ever been wrong. From his first sentence i realise this isn't his level at all.
We’ll get you out of the newbies in no time.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Because nobody makes a plan for Brighton. They went 14 games without a win last year, no goals at home for 3 months etc etc. he struggles against sides that sit back but top sides didn’t sit back v his Brighton side.
If that's the case they probably don't "make a plan" for any of Moyes' teams bar United yet it hasn't got him a win away to the big boys in two decades.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Two easy wins coming up. Potterismo will be well and truly cooking by the time we face those feckers.

mu4c_20le

Bit of a new manager bounce in the first half, fizzled out in the second. Not really seeing much of a difference to Zagreb bar the goal obviously.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Can't really judge managers who haven't had a transfer window.

He could end up in the Europa League though

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If we keep playing Azpilicueta we're fecked. He is beyond washed. Absolutely useless player at this point.
Silva and Azpi in the same backline is not it for me. Too slow. Too immobile. Silva can be great but you have to surround him with pace and energy otherwise he looks as pedestrian as you’d imagine a 38 year old would look.

Chief123

Playing a back 4 with Fofana and Koulibaly on the bench. Unless they are carrying an injury that’s a strange selection which I don’t think Big Todd will be happy about after the money spent.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
He may be Potter, but he's no Harry with the magic sticks.

The way Chelsea is run though, maybe he needs to be much like Harry.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Playing a back 4 with Fofana and Koulibaly on the bench. Unless they are carrying an injury that’s a strange selection which I don’t think Big Todd will be happy about after the money spent.
He went with a squad that had UCL experience playing together. Not that strange of a call for a manager that has not had a lot of time with the squad. I am sure as we move forward we will see Fofana and K2 in the back. I an really happy to see him get away from the 3 at the back so quickly. The problem is finishing again.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It wasn't a back 4. Sterling was LWB, Cucurella was LCB. We were in a hyper-aggressive 3-5-2 that in possession was more like a 1-3-4-2.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It was a 4-2-3-1.
No it wasn't. Cucurella was LCB and Azpilicueta was RCB. It was very obviously a 3-5-2, with a box between our 8s and the wide CBs.

The biggest takeaway from this match is that Potter is pushing for far more vertical rotations - whereas under Tuchel we focused on wide overloads. Sterling was played at LWB because the whole point was to create situations where the wingbacks were isolated 1v1.

redcucumber

Why didn’t Potter go with Boehly’s suggestion and deploy a 443 formation? Would surely of given them a much better chance of winning.
Todd'll be texting him all night now. Graham only has himself to blame for not taking The Todd's suggestions on board.

Chief123

No it wasn't. Cucurella was LCB and Azpilicueta was RCB. It was very obviously a 3-5-2, with a box between our 8s and the wide CBs.

The biggest takeaway from this match is that Potter is pushing for far more vertical rotations - whereas under Tuchel we focused on wide overloads. Sterling was played at LWB because the whole point was to create situations where the wingbacks were isolated 1v1.
I don’t agree that it was a 352 shape but if for arguments sake it was, playing Sterling as a left wing back is a weird move straight away. He would make a pretty poor left wing back.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t agree that it was a 352 shape but if for arguments sake it was, playing Sterling as a left wing back is a weird move straight away. He would make a pretty poor left wing back.
He wasn't really asked to defend. He was used as an outlet for the most part. But that said, getting him into situations where he's 1v1 is generally a good idea - frankly I'd prefer he be receiving the ball wide against a single defender as opposed to being more central as has been the case this year for the most part.